AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dual Format Players (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/172-dual-format-players/)
-   -   LG BH200 Owner Review (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/172-dual-format-players/926099-lg-bh200-owner-review.html)

HyPyke 10-25-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echudoba View Post

Got the BH200 manual from LG support.

Is that the preliminary manual? What is the date at the top of the pages? Want to make sure I have the latest one. Mine says 9/18

echudoba 10-25-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPyke View Post

Is that the preliminary manual? What is the date at the top of the pages? Want to make sure I have the latest one. Mine says 9/18

Same one, it was emailed like yours was.

HyPyke 10-25-2007 04:48 PM

Alright boys. Call LG.

There is a firmware update. It fixes stuttering and compatibility with certain discs for sure. Possibly other stuff. The woman on the phone did not know. She did not have access to the update or notes. It is handled by another dept.

IT MUST BE MAILED. Cannot be downloaded. Have to call and ask for it. They will mail a DVD.

Also ask for a printed manual to be mailed as well. It is the final version. She did not know the code to view the firmware but said it MAY be in the manual.

First one to get their firmware update has to create an ISO for the rest of us.

elube 10-25-2007 05:14 PM

Great! Thanks HyPyke! I will call tom. Is it the same # you listed in an earlier post?

I feel stupid but what is an ISO?

HyPyke 10-25-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elube View Post

Great! Thanks HyPyke! I will call tom. Is it the same # you listed in an earlier post?

I feel stupid but what is an ISO?

It's an computer image file for CDs, DVD, HDDVDS etc. Don't worry about it. Not really that important.

The number is the same. It's also on the last page or so of the manual.

elube 10-25-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

It's an computer image file for CDs, DVD, HDDVDS etc. Don't worry about it. Not really that important.

The number is the same. It's also on the last page or so of the manual.

Ok, thanks again!

echudoba 10-25-2007 07:57 PM

Stuttering, sounds like what I may have seen on SD. I will email them for the update since I will be out of town this weekend starting tommorrow. First one will have to learn how to do an ISO.

HyPyke 10-25-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Stuttering, sounds like what I may have seen on SD. I will email them for the update since I will be out of town this weekend starting tommorrow. First one will have to learn how to do an ISO.

Just send them your mailing address and it should be fine.

I will make the ISO in case any others turn up and need a copy. They can PM me and I will send them a link to where I posted it on the web. Should get it out a bit quicker than waiting a week for it to show up in the mail. Not sure why they are doing that.

HyPyke 10-29-2007 11:24 AM

The firmware code does work. The trick is you must make sure there is no disc in the drive. For reference here is how you view the firmware version.

Quote:

With your remote go to Setup>TV Aspect>Select 16:9> then hit 1 3 9 7 1 3 9>Enter.

Here is what my screen looks like.

echudoba 10-29-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

The firmware code does work. The trick is you must make sure there is no disc in the drive. For reference here is how you view the firmware version.

Here is what my screen looks like.

Got mine to work also, was missing the . Same firmware version as yours. I emailed LG and was told there wasn't any updates yet. Still working on it. Hope you get yours soon. You must have got the right person.

Still haven't got 24p to work. Could it be the disks I had to test with don't send 24p. I own DVE HD version and got my hands on the BD "Wild Hogs". Neither sent 24p to my 6010FD. I have no collection and do only renting (Netflix). Next movies will be HD-DVD or BD if available. Will try 24p again then.

echudoba 10-30-2007 08:33 AM

Spec sheet and all now on website

http://us.lge.com/products/category/...%20video.jhtml

EMAGDNIM 10-30-2007 12:39 PM

Good news for Canadians...I was in FS during my lunch and I ask the guy about this model. It's listed in the comp for $899 CND but he couldn't give me a ETA...

A/Vspec 10-30-2007 01:53 PM

Shows as MSRP : $1049.95 on LG's website. Wonder if they are going to lower it as it looks like the Samsung is/has lowered there price to $799.99?

echudoba 10-30-2007 07:40 PM

elube or HyPyke

Have you played any standard DVD's? Did you see any studdering in the video? I have played 3 now at 480p and 1080p and see 6-10 times an hour a hesitation in fast movement. Hope you get that firmware. I have not had any luck getting anyone from LG that knows of an update. Still working on getting this issue corrected and pushing for the firmware.

zeropoint 10-31-2007 03:08 AM

How good is the 'QDEO™ ADVANCED VIDEO PROCESSING'? Is anyone able to compare with HQV, maybe even with the HQV test disc?

The spec sheet states 'Digital/Analog Converter 27Mhz/8bit'! I thought those went out with the Dinosaurs.

elube 10-31-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

elube or HyPyke

Have you played any standard DVD's? Did you see any studdering in the video? I have played 3 now at 480p and 1080p and see 6-10 times an hour a hesitation in fast movement. Hope you get that firmware. I have not had any luck getting anyone from LG that knows of an update. Still working on getting this issue corrected and pushing for the firmware.

Been busy but watched a HD DVD with no problems last night. Still waiting on the Firmware DVD.

elube 10-31-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropoint View Post

How good is the 'QDEO™ ADVANCED VIDEO PROCESSING'? Is anyone able to compare with HQV, maybe even with the HQV test disc?

The spec sheet states 'Digital/Analog Converter 27Mhz/8bit'! I thought those went out with the Dinosaurs.

See #57 for my observations.

elube 10-31-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropoint View Post

My tv shows 36 bit?

RAE 1 10-31-2007 10:05 PM

HyPyke-

Add my kudos to all the others for your postings on the BH200. Thanks!

I have a feeling that some folks on this thread are correct about the importance of the display vs. player vis-Ã*-vis standard def picture quality. I have a Pioneer BDP-6010, and IÂ've been amazed at the non-HD picture, both on cable and DVD. (HD is, of course, fantastic.)

Because IÂ'm holding out until either the LG or Sammy combo player actually becomes available, IÂ've played some DVDÂ's on two players -- oneÂ's so ancient itÂ's not even progressive scan!

IÂ'll be astounded if an upconverting player gives me more than a marginal improvement in SD picture quality. (OK, IÂ've been astounded before, but I still think the SD picture is really good!)

RAE 1 10-31-2007 10:07 PM

Went to BB (in Minnesota) today and had the same experience as many others: A BH200 in the Bose endcap, connected to nothing but the power (so we can see the pretty display). Saw nothing on the machine to indicate it was anything other than a standard production model. None in stock or in the pipeline.

RAE 1 10-31-2007 10:10 PM

elube-

Re your post #57: They set up the BH200 for me to see SD on a Pioneer 6010 (close to my Elite 150) .

I suspect it's better than close.

Before I bought my 6010 I did some thorough checking. I couldn't see anything on the Pioneer web site that made me want to pay extra for the Elite. Dealing from memory here, but I think the main differences are better PC connectivity, additional noise reduction capability, a couple more picture modes, a pro setup option and an extra year of warranty.

I ended up calling the Pioneer US customer support hotline. They seemed very knowledgeable and discussed the technical differences between the models in some detail. I asked specifically about picture quality -- are the screens and internal workings of the two models different in any way, except as detailed in specifications on the web site? The answer was a direct and confident No.

I for one can't think of a reason why Pioneer would misrepresent their own product in a way that might steer a customer to a lower-priced model. So I went for the 6010 and have been extremely pleased so far.

Bottom line: If you bought the Elite for some of the documented advantages, great -- more power to you. If you think you bought a better picture, Pioneer says you didn't. (If you call and get a different answer, I'd be VERY interested to know.)

elube 11-01-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE 1 View Post

elube-

Re your post #57: They set up the BH200 for me to see SD on a Pioneer 6010 (close to my Elite 150) .

I suspect it's better than close.

Before I bought my 6010 I did some thorough checking. I couldn't see anything on the Pioneer web site that made me want to pay extra for the Elite. Dealing from memory here, but I think the main differences are better PC connectivity, additional noise reduction capability, a couple more picture modes, a pro setup option and an extra year of warranty.

I ended up calling the Pioneer US customer support hotline. They seemed very knowledgeable and discussed the technical differences between the models in some detail. I asked specifically about picture quality -- are the screens and internal workings of the two models different in any way, except as detailed in specifications on the web site? The answer was a direct and confident No.

I for one can't think of a reason why Pioneer would misrepresent their own product in a way that might steer a customer to a lower-priced model. So I went for the 6010 and have been extremely pleased so far.

Bottom line: If you bought the Elite for some of the documented advantages, great -- more power to you. If you think you bought a better picture, Pioneer says you didn't. (If you call and get a different answer, I'd be VERY interested to know.)

I bought it for the ability to adjust it more and also for the professional calibration capability. If the picture might have been slightly better than that would have been a bonus. I paid less than BB is selling the 6010 for anyway so I'm happy.

elube 11-01-2007 02:53 PM

Well, I received the manual for the BH200 today from LG. The only problems are it is just printed out and stapled and it is for THE BH100!!!! I don't know how many times I told them it wasn't the BH100 it is for the brand new BH200!!!
This doesn't give me much confidence that the DVD, if I even get it, will be for the Bh200.

JimP 11-01-2007 04:13 PM

elube,

The big question is does the manual actually apply to the BH200??

or .... does it totally not apply??

RAE 1 11-01-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elube View Post

I bought it for the ability to adjust it more and also for the professional calibration capability. If the picture might have been slightly better than that would have been a bonus. I paid less than BB is selling the 6010 for anyway so I'm happy.

I'm glad you bought it for the right reasons. (Is anyone else out there listening?)

It's nice that we're both happy. Ain't that picture fabulous?!?!

When I was at BB yesterday a guy was buying a 50-in Elite, and I told him I thought he'd be happy with his purchase. He said he already knew, because it was his second Elite. He also said it was interesting how, when friends came over they commented on how much better his picture was than on their $800 HD screens. I wonder why.

echudoba 11-01-2007 04:28 PM

elube,

Did you not get the soft copy HyPyke and I got. PM me your email address and I will forward one to you.

echudoba 11-01-2007 05:20 PM

Just got a email from LG support saying no firmware update available for the BH200 yet.

I have reported my two issues for now.

1: Video occasional hesitates (stuttering?) while playing SD DVDs.
2: Sending 1080p60 to my 24 fps capable 6010FD with HD-DVD and BD tried so far. Will try other titles soon.

The Good:
No issues with PQ (SD, BD, or HD-DVD). Quiet, button and transport functions respond well. Home (setup) menus respond well. I haven't gone into disk menus very far, just played the disk and poked around a little, so far responded with no hesitations. I like the size, it is short (10" deep) so it fits in my setup well. The one BD I played so far looked outstanding without any glitches. These are just my opinions, getting a 6010 and a HD player about the same time and comparing them to a SD player and 50" DPL rear projection Samsung.

HyPyke 11-01-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Just got a email from LG support saying no firmware update available for the BH200 yet.

I have a BAD feeling I am going to get a disk in the mail with the BH100 firmware on it.

Aguapolo17 11-02-2007 12:11 AM

If we could get a review of how was something like Pirates of the Caribbean plays on Blu-Ray on this machine, and 300 on HD-DVD, that would be great. I think it would give everyone a good idea of how this machine handles the menus and Java of Blu-Ray, and the combo discs that some players have trouble with on HD-DVD.

A/Vspec 11-02-2007 05:32 AM

I have been informed that the BH-200 should be arriving the week before Thanksgiving.