post #91 of 100 Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnobatai View Post

Why was the announcement of Profile 1.1 was a big deal? We've known for a while that the UP5000 has the Broadcom BCM7440 which is upgradeable to Profile 1.1 and 2.0 via firmware. Unless Samsung has decided to limit the capabilities of one of it's components, we will be seeing Profile 2.0 available as a firmware update in the future as well.

The fact that Samsung is releasing their player post 10/31 means that they are obligated to provide 1.1 support in the future, so the comparison to their "promise" to release the UP2400 isn't exactly valid. Samsung was never obligated to release that product, they are obligated the support 1.1.

http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=1047516

All in all, the UP5000 seems to support every conceivable feature on any standalone BluRay player or HD-DVD player. I have one pre-ordered from ABT.

The intent of the profile grace period is that players released (i.e. first shipped) to the market after 10/31 must be 1.1 or 2.0 compliant. Obviously, Samsung is first shipping this player to the market either before or after the 10/31 deadline. According to the standard, if they're shipping it after 10/31 they're "obligated" to ship it out-of-the box as a Profile 1.1 or 2.0 compliant player. If they're first shipping it before 10/31, they can ship it as a Profile 1.0 player and they are not "obligated" to provide a future firmware update to Profile 1.1.

Again, CE manufacturers make announcements that they don't deliver on all the time. Opinion only, but frankly it looks to me like Samsung is still having problems getting the Profile 1.1 firmware to work with this player, so they've worked out a loophole with the BDA- otherwise I think they'd be announcing that they'll ship it as a Profile 1.1 player. Could it be that they're "shipping" limited quantities to retailers before the 10/31 deadline and requiring them to hold them for sale to consumers until late December in the hopes that the bugs will be worked out for general release by then? What happens if they don't (can't?) have the firmware update available by January 2008 as they plan? Will they work out another deal with the BDA and say that this is a pre-10/31 player so "too bad consumers, we're not 'obligated' to update it", or do you think the BDA will try to make Samsung buy back all the "non-compliant" players that they sold at the end of December and early January? Personally, I think that Samsung will eventually make this player Profile 1.1 compliant, but what if they're "obligated" to provide a profile they end up being unable to deliver to consumers? I'm not counting any chickens yet, myself.

Idle musings, but food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnobatai View Post

All in all, the UP5000 seems to support every conceivable feature on any standalone BluRay player or HD-DVD player.

BTW, as long as I'm opining 'what-if' idle musings, here's a lulu for the fun of it that hopefully shows that I'm not a total pessimist...

Personally, I can conceive of a standalone Blu-ray player having Profile 2's "BD Live" Internet connectivity with the ability to download online features and content. (Not gonna comment on how valuable I'd likely find that feature myself )

The buzz is that the BD-UP5000 will ship with only 256MB of persistent memory, and it won't have a USB or other port to add expanded memory, so it apparently won't meet the Blu-ray Disc Assn.'s (BDA) requirement for 1GB of persistent memory to be a Profile 2 player as that standard is currently written. But the player will be based on Broadcom's 7440 SoC that supports Profile 2's functions, and it will have an ethernet port with Internet connectivity (for HD DVD's required Internet connectivity), so....

I seem to remember reading somewhere (can't quote it) that the full 1GB of persistent memory isn't required for a Blu-ray's Internet connection to function (it's just required to get that "BD Live" logo). Maybe you wouldn't be able to download everything you'd want for full BD Live functionality, but suppose that Samsung released a firmware upgrade that would allow that Broadcom chip to process Internet content for Blu-ray in addition to HD DVD? Wouldn't that be interesting?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend that someone buy a Profile 1.0 player based on the promise that it might one day be firmware upgraded to a Profile 1.1 player if those features are important to them, so I certainly wouldn't suggest buying the BD-UP5000 with the hope that it will have some Profile 2 functionality one day, but what if....?

post #93 of 100 Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting thoughts indeed.
post #94 of 100 Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

The intent of the profile grace period is that players released (i.e. first shipped) to the market after 10/31 must be 1.1 or 2.0 compliant. Obviously, Samsung is first shipping this player to the market either before or after the 10/31 deadline. According to the standard, if they're shipping it after 10/31 they're "obligated" to ship it out-of-the box as a Profile 1.1 or 2.0 compliant player. If they're first shipping it before 10/31, they can ship it as a Profile 1.0 player and they are not "obligated" to provide a future firmware update to Profile 1.1.

Again, CE manufacturers make announcements that they don't deliver on all the time. Opinion only, but frankly it looks to me like Samsung is still having problems getting the Profile 1.1 firmware to work with this player, so they've worked out a loophole with the BDA- otherwise I think they'd be announcing that they'll ship it as a Profile 1.1 player. Could it be that they're "shipping" limited quantities to retailers before the 10/31 deadline and requiring them to hold them for sale to consumers until late December in the hopes that the bugs will be worked out for general release by then? What happens if they don't (can't?) have the firmware update available by January 2008 as they plan? Will they work out another deal with the BDA and say that this is a pre-10/31 player so "too bad consumers, we're not 'obligated' to update it", or do you think the BDA will try to make Samsung buy back all the "non-compliant" players that they sold at the end of December and early January? Personally, I think that Samsung will eventually make this player Profile 1.1 compliant, but what if they're "obligated" to provide a profile they end up being unable to deliver to consumers? I'm not counting any chickens yet, myself.

Idle musings, but food for thought.

You make a fair point, but I was just trying to say that all the specs, details, hardware, etc. points to Samsung supporting 1.1 and making good on their promise. Of course, something could always go wrong, and in this case the consumers are going to be the ones that suffer...but I would put my money on Profile 1.1 being there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

BTW, as long as I'm opining 'what-if' idle musings, here's a lulu for the fun of it that hopefully shows that I'm not a total pessimist...

Personally, I can conceive of a standalone Blu-ray player having Profile 2's "BD Live" Internet connectivity with the ability to download online features and content. (Not gonna comment on how valuable I'd likely find that feature myself )

The buzz is that the BD-UP5000 will ship with only 256MB of persistent memory, and it won't have a USB or other port to add expanded memory, so it apparently won't meet the Blu-ray Disc Assn.'s (BDA) requirement for 1GB of persistent memory to be a Profile 2 player as that standard is currently written. But the player will be based on Broadcom's 7440 SoC that supports Profile 2's functions, and it will have an ethernet port with Internet connectivity (for HD DVD's required Internet connectivity), so....

I seem to remember reading somewhere (can't quote it) that the full 1GB of persistent memory isn't required for a Blu-ray's Internet connection to function (it's just required to get that "BD Live" logo). Maybe you wouldn't be able to download everything you'd want for full BD Live functionality, but suppose that Samsung released a firmware upgrade that would allow that Broadcom chip to process Internet content for Blu-ray in addition to HD DVD? Wouldn't that be interesting?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend that someone buy a Profile 1.0 player based on the promise that it might one day be firmware upgraded to a Profile 1.1 player if those features are important to them, so I certainly wouldn't suggest buying the BD-UP5000 with the hope that it will have some Profile 2 functionality one day, but what if....?

BD-Live does seem to me to be a wild card with the UP5000, I really hope they don't skip this feature... I guess we will know all the answers when Samsung announces the amount of persistent memory. Hope we get 1Gb! *crosses fingers*
post #95 of 100 Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 AM

From TWICE article:
Quote:

Samsung said the Duo HD player is now scheduled to ship from Samsung factories at the end of October and will be available to consumers at retail by mid to late December.

If it ships before the 31st, it doesn't have to be 1.1 compliant out-of-the-box, allowing for the moniker 1.1 ready.
post #96 of 100 Old 10-26-2007, 04:40 PM

If the Samsung had an onboard wireless bridge then I would be happy to have BDLive otherwise why would I want to hook up an ugly ethernet wire to it, especially when my tv and computer are in separate rooms...

While we are at it I wish it 5000 was a pc as well as a toaster, coffe maker and juicer hehe
post #97 of 100 Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM

There's a flip down panel with a usb port behind it. If I remember correctly there's RCA, s video, HDMI, and USB port behind the panel.
post #98 of 100 Old 10-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyal View Post

There's a flip down panel with a usb port behind it. If I remember correctly there's RCA, s video, HDMI, and USB port behind the panel.

I believe that you're remembering incorrectly. Do you have a source that corroborates this memory?

If you read the BD-UP5000 spec sheet it mentions 1 HDMI, 1 composite, 1 component, and 1 S-video output, and it mentions an ethernet port, but there's no mention of USB and there's no mention of additional duplicates of these connectors. If you look at the photos in Gizmodo's "Hands On" article you can see all of these connections on the back of the unit with no "flip down panel". If you read the HD Guru's review article it specifically mentions the lack of a USB port on the BD-UP5000.

The available evidence seems to contradict your claim. Can you support it?
post #99 of 100 Old 10-27-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Is this available for purchase at Best Buy right now?
If not, why does this thread title reflect it?
post #100 of 100 Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Is this available for purchase at Best Buy right now?

Unfortuanately, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

If not, why does this thread title reflect it?

A cursory look at the first page of the thread should make it clear.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page