The *Official* Samsung BD-UP5000 tracking thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1255 Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
although i am guilty of this myself, isn't it always the case that we complain about players being late, yada, yada, yada, and then trash the company once their products arrive and they were "rushed" in releasing a player that was not ready?

i know, i know, im to blame too, but i think we all share this problem here.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Automation Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1255 Old 11-24-2007, 03:12 PM

I threw in the towel...Got the Panasonic BD30 based on reliability and the great reviews, I have little confidence in Samsung quality and for $800 it should play flawlessly but I doubt it will.
post #183 of 1255 Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

This forum is full of statements such as "My friend just told me". This is not good enough!

Agreed. It's getting harder and harder to believe such things. The 1400 looks nearly identical to the 5000, I'm guessing that's what he saw.
post #184 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know if the Samsung BD-UP5000 player was killed? I know best buy pushed the date back to January last month as its official release date. Now I cant even find the player being listed on any of the following site....crutchfield.com bestbuy.com or amazon.com ???

I hope that its still alive .. I am just looking for some confirmation. I been wanting this player for a LOOOONG time!

I was able to download the final manual for the bdup5000 off of sammy's website so I am hoping this means its nearing its final release.

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #185 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woots View Post

Anyone know if the Samsung BD-UP5000 player was killed? I know best buy pushed the date back to January last month as its official release date. Now I cant even find the player being listed on any of the following site....crutchfield.com bestbuy.com or amazon.com ???

I hope that its still alive .. I am just looking for some confirmation. I been wanting this player for a LOOOONG time!

I was able to download the final manual for the bdup5000 off of sammy's website so I am hoping this means its nearing its final release.

There are rumors that the player could be delayed beyond Samsung's original Q4 2007 target release date and not come out until early 2008, but I have seen nothing to suggest that the player has been cancelled. In fact, that owners manual that you found just appeared on Samsung's website 4 days ago. Looks to me like the player is still a "go".
post #186 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The manual says that this unit won't play DVD+R discs. But my HD-A2 isn't supposed to be able to play them either, yet it does just fine. Do existing Sammy Blu-Ray players play DVD+R discs? Is there any chance that the combo unit will regardless of what it says in the manual?
post #187 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 12:03 PM

Since I've had a 1080p set for almost a year but no HD player, I finally gave up waiting on the 5000 and instead recently got the Panasonic BD30. However, as I still wanted both HD DVD and the Reon I went ahead and bought the XA2 today. As such I've been able to go format neutral without the 5000, and in the process get what appear to be two of the best HD players on the market. It only cost $100 extra for getting these two separate players versus the price most retailers are asking for the 5000.

I'm very happy with the BD30 so far and looking forward to receiving the XA2. Hopefully the 5000 will make an appearance soon for those still patiently waiting for it.
post #188 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 01:10 PM

What I heard from a rep at the Samsung show room in the Time Warner building in NYC (Columbus Cir. for those who are wondering where in NYC), and the reason given to me was that the other BD members have requested Samsung to not release a dual player this season and to focus on trying to win the format war. Samsung is an original BD sponsor and when the 5000 was planned it loked like BD would win and the 5000 would be a niche product. Since then however, if anything the battle has intensified and releasing this product would help HD DVD more than BD by making the current war into a stalemate. Was also told Samsung was interested in BD winning and hence would discount the 1400 to $299.

So, that was what was told to me. Another surprise when I asked if he was aware of any other dual players apart from LG and Samsung. He said Pioneer! I said if he meant Denon and he said he wasn't sure....

Based on this next year March would be the timeframe for this player. JMHO.
post #189 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 01:57 PM

[quote=plazman;12310276]What I heard from a rep at the Samsung show room in the Time Warner building in NYC (Columbus Cir. for those who are wondering where in NYC), and the reason given to me was that the other BD members have requested Samsung to not release a dual player this season and to focus on trying to win the format war. Samsung is an original BD sponsor and when the 5000 was planned it loked like BD would win and the 5000 would be a niche product. Since then however, if anything the battle has intensified and releasing this product would help HD DVD more than BD by making the current war into a stalemate. Was also told Samsung was interested in BD winning and hence would discount the 1400 to $299.
QUOTE]

If this is the case and they continue to hold off on releasing it, I'd be more than happy to give my money to LG....IF you see a rep again....can you tell them that?
post #190 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Same here....this is the type of rumor that makes me want to stay far away from all things Blu-Ray.
post #191 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 02:18 PM

Hi ALL,

All these rumors are VERY disappointing! However, I still can't see BB setting aside space for a product that won't be coming out until March. Also, why would Samsung post the owners manual on their web site unless it was coming out soon. Yes, very little to pin our hopes on but that's all we have!!!

Gerry
post #192 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yea, that's something.

If Samsung is a fan of cash, they'll release it now. MS, Toshiba, Universal and Paramount aren't going anywhere anytime soon...the movie lineup for 2008 is formidable and Samsung will simply be missing cash revenue for such an attractive player if they continue to only sell Blu-Ray hardware. Figureheads from both sides have already conceded this won't end soon (aka March 2008).

It's also these types of rumors that make me wish Warner would hurry up and choose Red already.
post #193 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Same here....this is the type of rumor that makes me want to stay far away from all things Blu-Ray.

No kidding. I've been patiently waiting since Sept. for the 5000 to actually appear, but if this BS keeps going on I'm just going to replace my Toshiba A1 with an XA2 and possibly buy a BD30 or PS3(if I buy into Blu Ray at all).
post #194 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 04:11 PM

Actually this is a Samsung show case store where they don't sell anything but show products - many not yet available. I found the store since my company does work with TWE who are in that building.

They had a U5000 demo unit that they have also pulled. The rep was very polite and matter of fact. I have been there many times

The feeling is that dual players will be inevitable. Also, keep in mind that the BDA will not test movies on the LG player, hence the problems LG has run into. But Samsung has a standalone and hence won't have a problem. I think LG is pissed with the BDA by now (moreso than the HD DVD folks for denying them the use of their logo the first time)

My 2 cents. I guess we'll see both next year. LG maybe this year. But the Samsung guy sounded confident that there would be no U5000 this year.
post #195 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

What I heard from a rep at the Samsung show room in the Time Warner building in NYC (Columbus Cir. for those who are wondering where in NYC), and the reason given to me was that the other BD members have requested Samsung to not release a dual player this season and to focus on trying to win the format war. Samsung is an original BD sponsor and when the 5000 was planned it loked like BD would win and the 5000 would be a niche product. Since then however, if anything the battle has intensified and releasing this product would help HD DVD more than BD by making the current war into a stalemate. Was also told Samsung was interested in BD winning and hence would discount the 1400 to $299.

So, that was what was told to me. Another surprise when I asked if he was aware of any other dual players apart from LG and Samsung. He said Pioneer! I said if he meant Denon and he said he wasn't sure....

Other BD members "having requested," huh? I wonder how much that "request" translated to in $$$?

I don't understand Samsung. They've been thrown under the bus before, being blamed for bad transfers when they were brave enough to release the first BD stand-alone. Unless they're getting money as an incentive NOT to release this player, I'd think they'd be chomping at the bit to release a dual player and make it clear they won't put up with the finger-pointing and the abuse they've been taking all this time.

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #196 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My 2 cents. I guess we'll see both next year. LG maybe this year. But the Samsung guy sounded confident that there would be no U5000 this year.

If so, it makes my decision a helluva lot easier. I'll just get an XA2 to replace my A1 and try to decide between a BD30 or PS3 when I jump into Blu-Ray.
post #197 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
All this talk about the BD association asking that Samsung hold off on release of the player doesn't wash with me. As a corporation, Samsung has to answer to it's stockholders.

They've effectively killed off their high end "BD only" player. The BD-UP5000 is their flagship. I can't imagine them holding off on the potential earnings, or worse yet, voluntarily sabotaging their 2007 holiday sales numbers!

Spence

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #198 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:

Sure makes me glad I gave up on the 5000 and went with the Panny 30 to compliment my XA2. Enough of this silliness.

Whenever and if ever this thing is released, I'll see if it beats out the XA2/Panny 30 combo. If so, I'll revisit it at that point.
post #199 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Sure makes me glad I gave up on the 5000 and went with the Panny 30 to compliment my XA2. Enough of this silliness.

Whenever and if ever this thing is released, I'll see if it beats out the XA2/Panny 30 combo. If so, I'll revisit it at that point.

Ken,

Since you have the exact combo I'm considering, what are your impressions of those two players so far? Any bugs or hiccups? Is the upscaling on the XA2 really as good as everyone says it is? Interested to hear your findings. Thanks.
post #200 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ditto, but I chose the PS3 to complement my XA2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post

Is the upscaling on the XA2 really as good as everyone says it is?

Yes it is!

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #201 of 1255 Old 11-25-2007, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Funny, I voiced a similar sentiment on a thread that I started last week and the thread ended up being closed!

I hope this isn't true.
post #202 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 AM

The retail on this player is $1050. So it's not as though Joe Six-pack and Sally Coupons-are-us will be engaging in fistfights over who gets the last remaining model @ their neighborhood friendly K-Mart, or anything.
Said price already puts the BD-UP5000 in a small, premium niche of the market. Therefore all this talk of possibly tipping the scales in favor of HD-DVD is nonsense.

In life you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.
post #203 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont understand why more people do not jump ship to LG, the LG is a worthy contender for anyone with a HDMI 1.3 amp.
post #204 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

I dont understand why more people do not jump ship to LG, the LG is a worthy contender for anyone with a HDMI 1.3 amp.

The key words for me are "for anyone with a HDMI 1.3 amp".

I don't have a receiver (or television for that matter) currently capable of HDMI anything. I am what you call an "early adopter". I paid $5K for a 65" Mits, that has no ATSC tuner, and is limited to component (and VGA) input. My receiver is what was once considered among many, a "flagship" model. An Onkyo TX-DS989, while still an incredible receiver it is limited to component connections for video, and optical/coax for digital audio. I paid just over $2K for this.

The LG is less desirable to me because while it would cost around the same amount, it does not have the analog audio output and on-board processing that the Samsung (if the gorram thing ever comes to market) has.

Now then, I don't have a six figure salary, but my wife and I combined are doing pretty well so we aren't complaining and have no trouble keeping our modest shack (built it in 2004) warm & lit, but I've made agreements with my loving and understanding wife in that I would not upgrade my television or receiver for ten years (both were purchased in 2000), so I am bound by my promise.

I see the Samsung combo unit as a perfect stepping stone for me (or as close to perfect as anything has come... once it reaches the retail market). The purchase of a BD-UP5000 will provide me some much needed breathing room. A chance to keep current with the latest technology (granted not as fine as HDMI 1.3) and enjoy the audio & visual delights that the two competing formats can provide (without getting all nit-picky over BD standards 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0), without being required to upgrade the two other key components in my system.

Rest assured, that when 2010 rolls around, I will do some serious shopping for an up-to-date television & receiver (probably HDMI 2.0 by then ), but for now, the Samsung BD-UP5000 is a "stepping stone". ...granted an $800+ stepping stone, but my wife acceptance factor has bought in on this (purchasing separates would cause me to re-negotiate with her as to the why etc... not some place I want to go).

We non-HDMI people are happy to be able to play in the HD sandbox! ...we just have to sift some rocks out now and then until we can afford better sand.

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #205 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post

Ken,

Since you have the exact combo I'm considering, what are your impressions of those two players so far? Any bugs or hiccups? Is the upscaling on the XA2 really as good as everyone says it is? Interested to hear your findings. Thanks.

Brent, first off the Panny 30 is the biggest surprise to me. It's the closest I've seen to a regular DVD in terms of speed and operability. As you probably know, for these HD formats that's better than good, it's great! The PQ is superb as is the audio which is decoded by my Yamaha 3800.

The Toshiba XA2 is another great player and yes, it's upscaling is absolutely terrific. PQ is superb on this player too as is the audio. The issue with the XA2 is the same as with most of these HD DVD/BR players, speed. It's slow, very slow. For me that's not a deal-break, but it does make me appreciate that much improved aspect of the Panasonic 30 more than I would have had I not had one of the typically slow players.

They're a great combo and I'm sure you'd be happy with them. Just keep in mind though with the Panny you'll need a receiver that can decode the advanced audio codecs since that's not done onboard.
post #206 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think Samsung would have provided a pre-production unit of the '5000 to Sound & Vision magazine for a review if they didn't plan on getting it to market within a reasonable time from the date the review was to be published. With confidence in getting a favorable review, that's how they try to generate buzz and sales. Doesn't accomplish much if the review's forgotten in some back issue by the time the player's available in stores.
FWIW, I remain hopeful for product release shortly before Xmas.
post #207 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That makes sense to me, and what I've suspected & heard. Add that to the fact that Samsung has BD players for sale- why would they want to rob their own sales?

I'll still hold out a bit. Nothing pressing I want to see ATM.
post #208 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

All this talk about the BD association asking that Samsung hold off on release of the player doesn't wash with me. As a corporation, Samsung has to answer to it's stockholders.

They've effectively killed off their high end "BD only" player. The BD-UP5000 is their flagship. I can't imagine them holding off on the potential earnings, or worse yet, voluntarily sabotaging their 2007 holiday sales numbers!

Spence

A very close friend of mine worked for Samsung until he recently left and went to another company. I saw him this past holiday weekend while he was in town. His point to me was to remember that BD and HD-DVD are very tiny portions of the home A/V market at this point, particularly to a company as big as Samsung. They're much more concerned with the performance of TV sales. That's a brutal market to be in right now, especially with all the low-priced chinese competition rearing its head everywhere. That, and portable electronics (wrong forum for that conversation).

TVs are huge now, not only because they are "smaller yet bigger" and because of HD. They are big because of the upcoming "turning off of the analog signal." All the manufacturers want to be the benficary of what they hope are massive amounts of new TV sales. BD and HDDVD are still really niche products for them.

Heck their projector line-up was the same sort of deal. They developed projectors solely because Sony did, and they always felt they had to do what Sony does, but better. 95% of the company had no idea they even made a projector, let alone who Joe Kane was.

Now the two companies (Samsung and Sony) are working closely on certain products and technology, because china has them all nervous. Marketing has shown again and again that the MAJORITY of consumers buy PRICE, PERIOD.

Long story short- don't expect "shareholders" to be too worried about some high-priced hybrid player if it comes out a few months later than planned. Nobody cares.

While Mr. X has been out of Samsung in NJ for a few months, he expects that Sony is approaching the equipment manufactures and working deals to lower the insane BD license fees to try and counter the HD-DVD low prices ($200 and under is the magic number, remember). Sony has a LOT more to lose than Samsung. PS3, anyone? This is a niche, and a super-niche at that, product for Samsung. It's just not one the radar of people who matter at that company. If some partners ask them to hold on for a good reason, Samsung has no problems waiting as they weren't going to make or break the company with the sales for that product. And PARTICULARLY when Samsung has multiple standalone BD players already in the retail channels during the holiday buying season!

His final point to me was that Blu-ray/HD-DVD is not EVEN CLOSE to the leap that VHS to DVD was. Furthermore, digital distribution may very well make optical media a thing of the past (look what it did to the recording industry). Samsung and a lot of other players are well aware of this fact, and are madly scrambling to adapt. They all fear that what happened to Sony (ignoring MP3 for too long, late on flatscreen tech, etc) will happen to them.

Summary- the BDP-5000 will appear when & if Samsung cares to have it appear.
post #209 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyW View Post

His final point to me was that Blu-ray/HD-DVD is not EVEN CLOSE to the leap that VHS to DVD was. Furthermore, digital distribution may very well make optical media a thing of the past (look what it did to the recording industry).

Bingo.

Laserdisc, anyone?
post #210 of 1255 Old 11-26-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

Exactly. I now have the BD30 and XA2 to pair with my Pioneer Elite 91 AVR which does advanced audio decoding.

1080/24p, bitstreaming audio, and Reon for SD DVD. Could not be happier!

Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page