Ok I got a HDMI 1.2a Receiver and I want all HD audio Codecs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I got a Yamaha RX-V661 recently. It has HDMI 1.2a and I want a dual format player that supports all the advance codec and decodes to MPCM. Is the upcoming LG or Samsung going to do the trick? I have tried the searching all around for answers but it seems like nothing is conclusive.

Thank you for any help.

Looking forward to entering audio/visual nirvana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't followed the LG dual format players closely, but according to this Crave article (link) Samsung claims that the BD-UP5000 dual format player will (eventually?) internally decode both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and output the audio via either 7.1 analog outputs or as PCM via HDMI to your Yamaha. Catch is, the DTS-HD Master Audio decoding might only be available after a pending firmware update. We'll see.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-03-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the information. I guess I would have to wait and see about this firmware update thing. Personally though, Samsung has delayed this player long enough I just hope they would include the newer firmware with this player.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 04:47 AM

As you, i am looking forward to having one dual player so that my one analog input on my receiver will serve both blu ray and hd/dvd. as far as dts ma is concerned, i'm not sure if my receiver is going to be able to handle the increased sampling rate that Master Audio requires. I have a feeling that eventually, we are all going to need to replace our source (receiver) for true master audio sound. any opinions?
post #5 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgreen561 View Post

As you, i am looking forward to having one dual player so that my one analog input on my receiver will serve both blu ray and hd/dvd. as far as dts ma is concerned, i'm not sure if my receiver is going to be able to handle the increased sampling rate that Master Audio requires. I have a feeling that eventually, we are all going to need to replace our source (receiver) for true master audio sound. any opinions?

no, we do not, I own a Denon without the new audio codecs on-board, but WITH a HDMI 1.1 input. That will be enough.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

no, we do not, I own a Denon without the new audio codecs on-board, but WITH a HDMI 1.1 input. That will be enough.

Ditto, I have a Marantz 7001, and don't need the codecs onboard in the reviecer, I just need hte player to decode to LPCM for me.

-Josh Murrah
post #7 of 20 Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Same here, it would sucks if I need to replace my 6 months old receiver just to have the decoding chip on the receiver instead of the player.
Wish some sane manufacturer would just release the perfect player so we don't have to pray for stuff to work.

post #8 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

In the latest edition of sound and vision mag, the BD-UP5000 will only bitstream DTS-HD. Here is the quote

"You get onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD lossless audio (and the ability to output a DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream for outboard decoding, also pending a firmware revision)," ...

If this is correct and that I am reading this correctly it means that no manufacturer is putting a DTS-HD decoding chip in the player. It also means that I am screwed by purchasing a HDMI 1.2 receiver. Men...I think I need to take a cold shower to relax after hearing this news.

So much for the who needs HDMI 1.3 thread.

post #9 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait a minute are there any HD players that output DTS-HD Master in ANY lossless format currently? I was under the impression that there wasn't anyway to hear the lossless DTS right now no matter what receiver you have.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky22 View Post

In the latest edition of sound and vision mag, the BD-UP5000 will only bitstream DTS-HD. Here is the quote

"You get onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD lossless audio (and the ability to output a DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream for outboard decoding, also pending a firmware revision)," ...

If this is correct and that I am reading this correctly it means that no manufacturer is putting a DTS-HD decoding chip in the player. It also means that I am screwed by purchasing a HDMI 1.2 receiver. Men...I think I need to take a cold shower to relax after hearing this news.

So much for the who needs HDMI 1.3 thread.

Here's my take from another thread on that same question...bottom line I think S&V made a mistake....

"That is what the review says but it makes no sense because all existing bitstreaming players have easily implemented a sort of "all or none" bitstreaming...meaning once you have bitstreaming via 1.3hdmi it will do every codec...it makes no sense to need firmware to add just the DTSHDMA bitstreaming and to only have TrueHD bitstreaming at launch. All the other reviews have said they are adding DTSHDMA decoding via firmware...which makes total sense as no player currently does DTSHD-MA decoding. The PS3 decodes TrueHD and via firmware wil eventually do DTSHD-MA. So I still think this player is a safe bet to eventually have DTSHDMA decoding.

DTSHDMA decoding is obviously more complicated or less developed as no one has it yet...but there have been quotes from Sony that they are working with DTS to add it to the PS3 and more of the new highend players coming out next year are quoting it in there specs....I think its just a matter of time and I'm sure the 5000 will be one of the first to get it (probably a race with the PS3)."

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
post #11 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I take it you haven't read the CNET review.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-977...tml?tag=blog.2

Quote:

Editors' note: This post has been updated to reflect information from a Samsung representative that the BD-UP5000 will have onboard decoding for all high resolution audio formats, including DTS-HD Master Audio.

post #12 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Wait a minute are there any HD players that output DTS-HD Master in ANY lossless format currently? I was under the impression that there wasn't anyway to hear the lossless DTS right now no matter what receiver you have.

The Samsung 1400 does it on the blu side. The A35 and now XA2 do it on the HDDVD side but on HDDVD there are no DTSHDMA movies except for imports (that are actually bluray here in NA). So yes with a 1.3HDMI receiver you can currently hear Fox's DTSHD-MA if you have a 1400.

post #13 of 20 Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

That is where the problem is. I just brought a new receiver hoping that some manufacturer would release a player that would do DTS-HD MA decoding but all they do is bitstream bitstream and bitstream...I sure hope that sound and vision is wrong though.
It also makes sense that they are since why would they need more time to figure out how to bitstream DTS MA?

post #14 of 20 Old 11-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The deal of the year will be had once someone puts out a dual format player with the ability to send ALL advanced codecs via a 7.1 channel analog output as well as HDMI. I could see picking up a used Denon-5803 for a good price from someone that wants HDMI, and hooking up the analog inputs and having a hell of a setup for a really good price.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well I can see myself picking up one of the Denons and using 1 of the 2 7.1 ch analog out for a dual player then plugging the my 1.2 receiver in and using it as a HDMI pre-pro.

post #16 of 20 Old 11-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

The deal of the year will be had once someone puts out a dual format player with the ability to send ALL advanced codecs via a 7.1 channel analog output as well as HDMI. I could see picking up a used Denon-5803 for a good price from someone that wants HDMI, and hooking up the analog inputs and having a hell of a setup for a really good price.

Thats what the 5000 claims....

post #17 of 20 Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

this whole decoding of the new formats is somewhat confusing.
I don't have a HDMI equipped controller...mine is an old Acurus ACT-3 which has had some minor sound mod's done to it.
Yet, using the coaxial digital cable, I seems to be getting the DTSHD, and TRUEHD being decoded by the ACT-3.
Actually, I don't "Seem" to be getting them, I am...and audio track has a much higher dynamic range, it's easy to hear.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-15-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post

I don't have a HDMI equipped controller...mine is an old Acurus ACT-3 which has had some minor sound mod's done to it.
Yet, using the coaxial digital cable, I seems to be getting the DTSHD, and TRUEHD being decoded by the ACT-3.
Actually, I don't "Seem" to be getting them, I am...and audio track has a much higher dynamic range, it's easy to hear.

You could be getting the DTS "core" bitstream, and either a 2-channel PCM or Dolby Digital-recoded stream, but the optical audio cable doesn't have the bandwidth to carry more than 2 full PCM channels, or a DTS or DD bitstream. Also, you'd need a pretty new receiver to be able to process any of the new advanced formats - my Onkyo TX-SR674 purchased last year only handles DD EX and DTS ES and 96/24 bitstreams, or multichannel PCM via HDMI.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-15-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post

You're not, they don't pass over coax. Lossy DTS, perhaps, or stereo PCM.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #20 of 20 Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

Picture the little hampster in his cage, running as fast as he can on his little wheel and never getting anywhere. Sound familiar? As soon as you find that deal of the year, someone will come up with something just a little bit better that everyone will need to have.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page