HDTV Players that can output a 1080P/24 signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Since BLU-RAY won the format war most likely soon all HD-DVD players and dual format players will be going out of production. The list will now only cover BLU-RAY players and is being updated at the following location
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13172977

Here are the HD-DVD and dual format players that have 1080P/24 outputs and that most likely will be going out of production soon.

HD DVD PLAYERS

Integra DHS-8.8 HD-DVD player (Deep color support and HDMI 1.3a)
Onkyo DV-HD805 HD-DVD player (Deep color support and HDMI 1.3a)
Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD player (1080P/24 support with Firmware version 2.5 or higher)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player (1080P/24 support with Firmware version 2.5 or higher)
Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player
Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD player (Deep color support and 7.1ch by HDMI)

UNIVERSAL (dual format) PLAYERS

LG BH100 (BLU-RAY and HD-DVD COMBO) Not a true HD DVD player since it does not support interactive HD DVD menu’s.

LG BH200 (Fully functional true combo player for both BLU-RAY and HD-DVD)
(PIP and BD-live fully compatible)

Samsung BD-UP5000 (Fully functional true combo player for both BLU-RAY and HD-DVD)
(PIP fully compatible)

Samsung BD-UP5500 (Fully functional true combo player for both BLU-RAY and HD-DVD)
(coming in the second half of 2008) (PIP fully compatible)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reserved for future use
post #3 of 27 Old 11-20-2007, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reserved for future uses
post #4 of 27 Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a quote from Widescreen review November 2007 electronic newsletter regarding the LG BH200 combo player (evidence that it has the min hardware requirements for BD-LIVE (profile 2.0)

LG Electronics unveiled its second generation
Super Blu Blu-ray Disc and
HD DVD combination player, the
BH200 ($1,000). Unlike the first-generation
player, the BH200 fully supports
the HD DVD specification, including
HDi interactivity, and is also compatible
with Blu-ray Disc's Profile 2.0, otherwise
known as BD-Live. Picture-in-picture compatibility is available for
Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD titles that feature the advanced interactivity,
and the HDMI v1.3-compatible player can deliver 1080p24/30/60.
The player features QDEO video processing for scaling standard-definition DVDs up to 1080p.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reference link to players on the list

Originally I created this list on other forums, hopefully this list will be helpful for those looking to purchase a new 1080P/24 player. The following is a link that documents why these players are on the list and why others are not
http://forum.hd-dvd.com/showthread.php?t=1761
post #6 of 27 Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reference link to players on the list

Originally I created this list on other forums, hopefully this list will be helpful for those looking to purchase a new 1080P/24 player. The following is a link that documents why these players are on the list and why others are not
http://forum.hd-dvd.com/showthread.php?t=1761
post #7 of 27 Old 11-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

Samsung BD-UP5000 (Fully functional true combo player for both BLU-RAY and HD-DVD) Coming late December 2007. (PIP and BD-live fully compatible)

What is your source that the BD-UP5000 will be "BD-live fully compatible"? It was my understanding that "full compatibility" with BD-Live (Profile 2) requires 1GB of local storage memory and the BD-UP5000 will have only 256MB.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-20-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

What is your source that the BD-UP5000 will be "BD-live fully compatible"? It was my understanding that "full compatibility" with BD-Live (Profile 2) requires 1GB of local storage memory and the BD-UP5000 will have only 256MB.

All BLU-RAY players launched after October 31st that contains an Ethernet jack (Internet connection) are required by the BDA to include a minimum of 1GB of memory.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6427147.html?nid=2840
My understanding is that this mandate also applies to Universal dual format players. If the October 31st 2007 mandate does not apply to Universal dual format players then the list needs to be updated for the Samsung player.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link. It seems to me that in addition to finding out if that requirement applies to dual format players with Ethernet ports active for the HD DVD side, you need to determine that the BD-UP5000 will indeed be considered "launched" after Oct. 31* and/or that Samsung intends to follow the BDA standard for BD-Live and include a minimum of 1GB of memory before saying that it will be "BD-Live fully compatible".

*In this article (link) the authors say that Samsung "exactly told" them that "The Duo HD Player will ship from Samsung factories at the end of October". Just speculation, but if the BDA accepts this first-shipped date as the "launch" date, it could explain how Samsung could get out of shipping the BD-UP5000 out-of-the-box as a Profile 1.1 player and also how it could not be BD-Live "fully compatible" despite its Ethernet port.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks kelpie this is the type of posts I like. I have updated the list waiting on further verification. The LG BH200 might sale a lot more players if it turns out Samsung found a loophole in the October 31st mandate. I a pro BLU-RAY but this October 31st loophole mandate is upsetting. Back in September 6th I posted the following about the October 31st loophole for existing players in another forum.
http://forum.hd-dvd.com/showpost.php?p=4591&postcount=19
post #11 of 27 Old 11-21-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All BLU-RAY players launched after October 31st that contains an Ethernet jack (Internet connection) are required by the BDA to include a minimum of 1GB of memory.

This is not correct. Players released after October 31st must be Bonus View (Profile 1.1) capable. They may have internet connectivity, but it may not be accessible from Blu-ray apps unless it's fully BD Live (2.0) compliant. In other words you can have a network port which could be used for firmware updates, media server capabilities, etc., but it can't be accessed from Blu-ray Disc applications unless the platform is fully compliant with BD Live. So it would be within requirements if a future update provided BD Live compliance as long as pre-update the network wasn't accessible from a Blu-ray disc.

- Talk

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #12 of 27 Old 11-21-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

This is not correct. Players released after October 31st must be Bonus View (Profile 1.1) capable. They may have internet connectivity, but it may not be accessible from Blu-ray apps unless it's fully BD Live (2.0) compliant. In other words you can have a network port which could be used for firmware updates, media server capabilities, etc., but it can't be accessed from Blu-ray Disc applications unless the platform is fully compliant with BD Live. So it would be within requirements if a future update provided BD Live compliance as long as pre-update the network wasn't accessible from a Blu-ray disc.

- Talk

Thanks for the info Talkstr8T perhaps the Video business article is not entirely correct. According to this news article from Video Business it mentions that after October 31st all BLU-RAY players with an Internet Connection are required to have 1GB of memory.
Also, any Blu-ray player that features an Internet connection is required to have 1GB of such memory, in order to hold whatever content users decide to download from the Web.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6427147.html?nid=2840

There has been so much confusion over this minor feature known as Bonus View Profile 1.1 and Profile 2.0. At least now any new BLU-RAY player launching is mandated to be Profile 1.1. So it sounds like there is no mandate for Profile 2.0 and profile 2.0 is just an option for select BLU-RAY players.
The BLU-RAY format has the best quality picture and sound. When MPEG-4/AVC or VC-1 is used at very high bit rates on 50GB discs the quality is amazing. Currently I am 100% BLU-RAY since I like the quality but if Paramount and Universal Studios stays HD-DVD exclusive I might one day decide to update all my DVD players to dual format players since I am a movie collector first and a BLU-RAY supporter second.
I wish the BDA would make a business decision and mandate that all BLU-RAY players released after August 1st 2008 would be profile 2.0. Then this minor Bonus PIP and BD-LIVE feature would no longer be an issue. Picture and Sound quality with a wide selection of movies is the most important feature most consumers are interested in.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-21-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Link that mentions that Samsung BD-UP5000 has all the hardware requirements for BD-LIVE (profile 2.0)

The Samsung BD-UP5000 has been moved back to December. The BD-UP5000 is a dual-format player and with this new release date means it is a minimum 1.1 spec, but it has all the required hardware to be a 2.0 spec.

http://wesleytech.com/samsung-bdp-2400-blu-ray-player-canceled/380/

Of course to be sure it can be updated to BD-LIVE with a firmware update I will wait for a confirmation from other news sources before updating the list. Specs can change before a product is released and news websites can sometimes make errors.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

According to this Spec sheet the Samsung BD-UP5000 meets all the hardware requirements for DTS-HD, DTS HD Master Audio and all versions of Dolby Digital. According to the old Samsung spec sheet a future firmware upgrade is required for the advanced audio formats
http://forum.hd-dvd.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=12

Also according to the following old news article the Samsung BD-UP5000 has all the hardware requirements for Bonus view PIP profile 1.1 and the article mentions that it also has 1GB of memory which is the requirement for BD-LIVE. The article even mentions that a firmware update for profile 1.1 will be available in January 2008.
A firmware update will be available at the end of January 2008 to allow playback of BD Profile 1.1 discs.
The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has mandated all hardware launched after Oct. 31 must support BD Profile 1.1 discs including BD-Java (BD-J)-enabled picture-in-picture video playback and 256MBs of persistent memory. Players with Internet connections, which the Duo will have, are to include 1GB of persistent memory.”

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6494367.html

Warning specs can change before a product launches.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

According to this Spec sheet the Samsung BD-UP5000 meets all the hardware requirements for DTS-HD, DTS HD Master Audio and all versions of Dolby Digital. According to the old Samsung spec sheet a future firmware upgrade is required for the advanced audio formats
http://forum.hd-dvd.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=12

Your link leads to the "old" spec sheet that says the player is firmware upgradeable to DTS HD MA. Do you have a link to a newer spec sheet that leaves out the firmware upgrade requirement?

Quote:

Also according to the following old news article the Samsung BD-UP5000 has all the hardware requirements for Bonus view PIP profile 1.1 and the article mentions that it also has 1GB of memory which is the requirement for BD-LIVE. The article even mentions that a firmware update for profile 1.1 will be available in January 2008.

"A firmware update will be available at the end of January 2008 to allow playback of BD Profile 1.1 discs.
The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has mandated all hardware launched after Oct. 31 must support BD Profile 1.1 discs including BD-Java (BD-J)-enabled picture-in-picture video playback and 256MBs of persistent memory. Players with Internet connections, which the Duo will have, are to include 1GB of persistent memory.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6494367.html

I read that quote differently than you do. It doesn't say that the BD-UP5000 will have 1 GB of persistent memory. Instead, it just seems to be echoing the same misinformation that you posted earlier that the BDA requires any Blu-ray player with an Internet connection to have 1 GB of persistent memory. In post #11 in this thread Talkstr8t- a Blu-ray insider- tells us that this claim is not true. The only article that I have seen about the BD-UP5000 that makes any specific claim about how much persistent memory the player has is the HD Guru's review article (link) that says a Samsung rep told him that the player "has 256MB of internal memory".
post #16 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

Your link leads to the "old" spec sheet that says the player is firmware upgradeable to DTS HD MA. Do you have a link to a newer spec sheet that leaves out the firmware upgrade requirement?

I read that quote differently than you do. It doesn't say that the BD-UP5000 will have 1 GB of persistent memory. Instead, it just seems to be echoing the same misinformation that you posted earlier that the BDA requires any Blu-ray player with an Internet connection to have 1 GB of persistent memory. In post #11 in this thread Talkstr8t- a Blu-ray insider- tells us that this claim is not true. The only article that I have seen about the BD-UP5000 that makes any specific claim about how much persistent memory the player has is the HD Guru's review article (link) that says a Samsung rep told him that the player "has 256MB of internal memory".

The problem is I can find several articles from reliable magazines like TWICE, Video Business, and others that mention the 1GB with Internet connection. The BDA needs to clarify the misinformation that is out there if it is misinformation. Here is another quote from November 2007 that mentions the same exact 1GB requirement if a Internet connection is present on a BLU-RAY player.
“For now, that's Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), which requires 1GB of local storage plus network capability (likely in the form of an Ethernet or LAN port)”
http://ultimateavmag.com/hddiscplayers/1107panabd30/

The Samsung BD-UP5000 has been moved back to December. The BD-UP5000 is a dual-format player and with this new release date means it is a minimum 1.1 spec, but it has all the required hardware to be a 2.0 spec.”

It would be ideal if more detail info would be released from the BDA and Samsung regarding this issue.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem is I can find several articles from reliable magazines like TWICE, Video Business, and others that mention the 1GB with Internet connection. The BDA needs to clarify the misinformation that is out there if it is misinformation. Here is another quote from November 2007 that mentions the same exact 1GB requirement if a Internet connection is present on a BLU-RAY player.
For now, that's Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), which requires 1GB of local storage plus network capability (likely in the form of an Ethernet or LAN port)
http://ultimateavmag.com/hddiscplayers/1107panabd30/

The Samsung BD-UP5000 has been moved back to December. The BD-UP5000 is a dual-format player and with this new release date means it is a minimum 1.1 spec, but it has all the required hardware to be a 2.0 spec.

It would be ideal if more detail info would be released from the BDA and Samsung regarding this issue.

I can assure you the requirement is "capability to support 1GB of local storage". The word "capability" is often dropped, leading to the inference that 1GB must be internal.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #18 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

I can assure you the requirement is "capability to support 1GB of local storage". The word "capability" is often dropped, leading to the inference that 1GB must be internal.

Thanks for clarifying that. I also have read recently that some profile 1.1 and profile 2.0 players released might use external memory in order to keep costs down. Consumers that purchase some brands and models of players to use Bonus view profile 1.1 or profile 2.0 might need to purchase a 256MB or 1GB SD memory card if they are interested in accessing the bonus view features like PIP and BD-LIVE on future coming BLU-RAY discs.
I wish the BDA would have mandated internal memory in new BLU-RAY players even if the cost of the player would rise another $50 or $100. Most consumers are not going to want to mess around with having to purchase a SD memory card so they can access the Bonus view features for some standalone BLU-RAY players. Of course computer BLU-RAY drives and the Playstation 3 already have plenty of memory internal. This SD card will only be needed on certain standalone players.

Here is an interesting quote on the review of the first profile 1.1 BLU-RAY player that mentions that possible a SD card might be needed for Bonus view material on the Panasonic DMP-BD30.

“As a side note, there's a feature in the player that Panasonic calls "Virtual package." I'm unfamiliar with this term, but as Panasonic explains it, "For a disc compatible with the virtual package, data is copied to other media from the disc to use the different functions while playing the data. For this unit, data is (sic) copied to an SD card." Recall that the 256MB of local storage that a player must have to meet the standards of Profile 1.1 does not have to be inside the unit. Could it be that the local storage in the Panasonic is in the SD card (which must be provided by the user)? Panasonic does not say. But I tried the loading time and game functionality tests both with and without an SD card (512MB) with the same results either way. “
http://ultimateavmag.com/hddiscplaye...30/index2.html
post #19 of 27 Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update on the Samsung BDP-UP5000

The Samsung BDP-UP5000 is fully BD-LIVE profile 2.0 compatible. The list has been updated. Also the player suggested retail price is now only $799.99 and is shipping to retail stores now for a late December release. Firmware update will be required to play profile 1.1 and 2.0 discs.

Samsung says its BDP-UP5000 will support both BD-Java and HDi, as well as web-enabled supplements on both formats, via an Ethernet connection.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Dual-Format_Players/Hardware/Samsung/Samsung:_Dual-Format_Blu-ray/HD_DVD_Player_Now_Shipping/1240
post #20 of 27 Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Sony Playstation 3 hardware is PIP and BD-LIVE fully compatible with a coming soon firmware upgrade.

Profile 1.1 quote from Sony VP Don Eklund
Eklund added that firmware should be released for the PS3 this month that would upgrade the console to fully playback picture-in-picture interactivity, another type of high-def bonus feature that is popular in HD DVD titles but not yet available with Blu-ray titles due to few compatible players.

Profile 2.0 quote from Sony VP Don Eklund
Studio executive panelists as well as manufacturers speaking at the conference acknowledged the current absence of BD-Live players. Yet, Eklund said Sony and other studios anticipate that the PlayStation 3 will soon become one such player, likely through firmware updates, as the console already allows users to download game-related content.

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6509942&industryid=47211

Both Lionsgate and Sony Pictures fully expect the PS3 to become a Profile v2.0 BD-Live player via a firmware update sometime next year.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=733
post #21 of 27 Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is a very interesting review on the LG BH200 by Thomas J Norton over at UltimateAVmag.com . I would recommend anyone seriously planning on purchasing a dual format player to read the plusses and minuses of this new player.
http://ultimateavmag.com/hddiscplayers/1207lg200/index.html

The LG BH200 current firmware lacks manual 1080P/24 selection and the auto setting that suppose to automatically switch to 1080P/24 for 1080P/24 input compatible displays switches to 1080P/60 mode and will not output 1080P/24 with some displays. Hopefully LG will correct this issue with a firmware update.

There is no current option, however, that we found that enabled 1080p/24fps playback with the 24p-capable displays we used. According to LG, the player switches automatically to either 24Hz or 60Hz, depending on the source material and the capability of the display as determined by the HDMI handshake. But two different 24p-capable displays we tried that indicate the incoming frame rate in the on-screen information menus (the Sony VPL-VW200, review pending, and the InFocus Play Big IN82) showed that the LG was feeding them a 1080p/60 signal. This was true whether the player's resolution was set to Auto or 1080p.

LG BH200 has excellent video quality with a few problems playing some discs (read above UltimateAV mag review link for details). The major issue is that the LG BH200 does support the advanced audio formats at full resolution.

The Super Blu carries the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD logos, and refers to them both in several places in the manual that suggest that it will decode both. In fact, however, it will not, at least not in any way that is important to the serious home theater enthusiast. This shortcoming is clearly obvious in the audio specifications table at the back of the owner's manual.
According to that table, Dolby TrueHD is output from the player only as two-channel PCM, except when DTS re-encode is selected in the audio setup menu. And even then its output is said to be ordinary multichannel DTS. DTS HD-MA is also played back as standard DTS.
But because of the player's inability to play back Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio in any form that will be of interest to the serious home theater fan, I spent little time seriously auditioning the player's audio. The inability to give the user the best audio encoded on many high-definition discs is a serious shortcoming.
Hopefully, an update will let it unlock the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats that it will not now play back in full resolution, multichannel form

Also this player in theory suppose to have all the hardware requirements for profile 1.1 (bonus view PIP) and profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE) with a future firmware update. It should be noted that the memory for this player is unknown. To play future PIP profile 1.1 discs a 256MB USB flash memory stick might be required and a 1GB memory stick might be required to play BD-LIVE content. Since LG does not mention that it has 1GB of memory internal reserved for BD-LIVE then there is a possibility a future memory stick might be required to access the bonus features when they arrive on future BLU-RAY discs. The memory stick feature is a nice feature but I hope that it is not required to access some bonus features. Consumers would prefer to be able to access the bonus features on future BLU-RAY discs without the need to plug in a USB memory stick.
post #22 of 27 Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

PS3 now can play PIP profile 1.1 movies with the latest firmware update that was just released

This is very good news for Sony Playstation 3 owners. All Playstation 3 models will play the bonus view PIP profile 1.1 features with firmware version 2.10 or later. No special external USB or SD memory card is needed since the PS3 has plenty of internal memory. All that is needed is to download the latest firmware and purchase movie that contains PIP bonus features which should be available in a few weeks. Sometime in early 2008 a BD-LIVE firmware update will arrive for the PS3.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=762
post #23 of 27 Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Philips BDP-7100 has been removed from the list and more info on the two Denon BLU-RAY players

Currently Philips does not have a standalone BLU-RAY player in production in the USA. There is a lot of competition. The Philips BDP-7100 was released in Europe and since this list only includes US models I am removing it from the list. Also release dates for players on the list has been updated.
According to Denon the DVD-3800BDCI and DVD-2500BTCI will be shipping in January 2008. Both models have a SD card slot. It is unknown at this time if a 256MB SD memory card will be required to play PIP profile 1.1 bonus features. Possible the Denon models might have 256MB of memory built in for PIP profile 1.1 features and the existing firmware most likely will ship with profile 1.1 support. Once reviewed the Denon DVD-3800BDCI most likely will be the best or one of the best BLU-RAY players every made. For $2,000 it should be the best. The Marantz $2100 BD8002 BLU-RAY player looks very excellent also. People that have high-end Front projectors, Plasma's, and LCD's costing $5,000+ will most like enjoy these 3 new top of the line players.

Detailed color PDF spec sheet link for the DVD-3800BDCI

http://usa.denon.com/DVD-3800BDCILit_924.pdf

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3749.asp

Detailed color PDF spec sheet link for the DVD-2500BTCI

http://usa.denon.com/DVD-2500BTCILit_1212.pdf

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3804.asp
post #24 of 27 Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The following updates were made to the list of true 1080P/24 players

1. I have learned that the Samsung BD-UP5000 hardware does not meet the minimum requirements to be BD-LVE certified and will only be PIP certified with a firmware update.
2. In the Second half of 2008 Samsung will release the BD-UP5500 second generation dual format player with a list price of only $599. It will be fully PIP certified (profile 1.1) but will lack the minimum hardware requirements for BD-LIVE. This dual format player will only cost $200 more compared to the BD-P1500 dedicated BLU-RAY player. Click on the following link for more details. http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Samsung/CES_2008/Dual-Format_Players/CES:_Samsung_Bows_New_Dual-Format_Blu-ray/HD_DVD_Player/1337
3. In June 2008 Samsung will release the BD-P1500 Blu-ray Player that is fully PIP (profile 1.1 compatible) but lacks the hardware to support BD-LIVE. List price is $399. Quote the BD-P1500 will carry an Ethernet port for firmware upgrades, but company says it is not certified BD Live, meaning it will not support web-enabled features included on certain discs. Click on the following link for more details http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/CES_2008/Samsung/CES:_Samsung_Unveils_BD-P1500_Blu-ray_Player/1336
4. In 2008 Panasonic will release the DMP-BD50 which is a fully functional profile 2.0 player that supports PIP and BD-LIVE. Click on the following link for more details. http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/CES_2008/Panasonic/CES:_Panasonic_Intros_First_BD-Live_Blu-ray_Player/1335
5. In 2008 Panasonic will release the SC-BT1000 with a complete home theater system. PIP (profile 1.1) fully compatible. Click on the following link for more details. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=822
6. In April 2008 Philips is releasing its BDP7200 BLU-RAY player for a list price of only $349. This player will be PIP (profile 1.1) fully compatible. Read the following link for more details. http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/CES_2008/Philips/CES:_Philips_Intros_$349_Blu-ray_Player/1338
7. The Sharp BD-HP50U BLU-RAY player will be released in May 2008 for a $699.99 list price. It is fully PIP (profile 1.1) compatible and might also be BD-LIVE compatible pending on further information to be released. Read the following link for more details. http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Sharp/CES_2008/CES:_Sharp_Unveils_Second-Gen_Blu-ray_Player_/1339
8. In the Spring of 2008 Funai will release the NB500 BLU-RAY player for only $300. This player will be fully PIP (profile 1.1) compatible. Click on the following link for more details. http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Funai/CES_2008/CES:_Funais_Sub-$300_Blu-ray_Player/1341
post #25 of 27 Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update on the Marantz BD8002 BLU-RAY player release date

The Marantz BD8002 top of the line BLU-RAY player which is priced at $2100 list price will be shipping in the second quarter of 2008 instead of the first quarter. Once this player has a professional review it most likely will be the best or one of the best BLU-RAY players every made.
Click on the following link for more details: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Marantz/CES_2008/CES:_Marantz_BD8002_Blu-ray_Player_Due_This_Spring/1347
post #26 of 27 Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The high-end Onkyo DV-HD805 HD-DVD player is in stock from various online retailers and is selling for as low as $699.
http://www.pricerunner.com/pl/4-1013649/DVD-Players/Onkyo-DV-HD805-Compare-Prices?q=dv-hd805
Most people would rather spend $700 on a BLU-RAY player or dual format player. Of course movie collectors that prefer owning two players would be better off getting both a Pioneer Elite BLU-RAY player and the nice Onkyo DV-HD805.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Home Theater's review of the Samsung BD-UP5000

For those who are considering purchasing a dual format player here is a excellent review of the positives and negatives of the player that well be going out of production in May. The BD-UP5500 might replace the BD-UP5000.

Profile 1.1 support quote
While the manual (likely printed some time ago) states that the Duo HD does not support the BD-Java features that require Profile 1.1 (such as picture-in-picture video commentaries) hardware, Samsung claims that the player now does play those features.

Does not have the min hardware requirements for Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE Quote
The Duo HD has a (LAN) Ethernet port but is not spec'd as a Profile 2.0 (BD Live) player.s

Multichannel analog outputs muted when 1080P/24 output mode is selected quote
The Duo HD can output 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 over HDMI, and 1080i over component. Unfortunately, selecting 24fps mutes the multichannel analog outputs.

Advanced audio codec's like DTS HD Master Audio coming in a firmware update in May according to what Samsung says (quote)
Samsung has told us that a firmware update to pass soundtracks in both of these lossless formats to a suitable A/V receiver, in bitstream form, is in the works. But it isn't due until May. The fact that it's still four months off suggests that a considerable amount of engineering is involved, and you can't always engineer to a deadline. Our experience with most manufacturers suggests that it's a dicey move, at best, to base a purchase decision on a promised delivery date for future vaporware.

Firmware updates quotes
With the constant flood of important firmware updates coming out for this and other players, a user should not be required to have an intimate grasp of computersor any computer knowledge at allto get his or her player up to speed. One obvious solution would be for manufacturers to keep buyers' info from warrantee cards on file and overnight an update disc to each customer. I'm sorry, manufacturers, if this sounds like too much trouble. But if you can't get the product working right out of the gate, or if a format is in constant flux, the consumer shouldn't be required to be a computer-geek and beta-tester to fix it. And if you expect high definition on disc to go mass market, this situation needs to be addressedand fast.

Some positive quotes

It also properly de-interlaced 1080i material to 1080p, including recognition of 3/2 pulldown. 1080i isn't common on high definition discs, but you will find it on concert releases.

Disc loading times were comparable to the newest dedicated HD DVD and Blu-ray players I've tested. Short of Sony's PlayStation3 for Blu-ray (still the speed champ) you won't do much better. In one respect, however, the Samsung was very fast: its time from power-up to drawer-open was a swift 15 seconds.
But where the Samsung really excelled was in pure picture quality. The Samsung produced high definition images from both BD and HD DVD that were as goodand sometimes betterthan those I've seen from high definition players dedicated to either format. The improvement was not dramatic, but in its color saturation, sharpness (without artificiality), depth, and overall image "pop" the Duo HD marginally beat out the Panasonic DMP-BD30 on Blu-ray and at least equaled the Toshiba HD-A35 on HD DVD

Conclusions
The Samsung BD-UP5000 is in many ways a superb high definition disc playerwith arguably the best picture quality I've yet seen from high definition discs.
But it's a work in progress, with shortcomings that need to be fixed. Hopefully they will be, with future firmware. Internet reports also suggest that the problems we encountered were widespread, both before and after the update, and not simply indicative of a defective sample.
While I haven't yet found a completely bug-free Blu-ray or HD DVD player, I can't quite recommend the Samsung Duo HD as it currently stands, even apart from its inability to play back advanced audio. That conclusion may well change in the future, and I hope it does. Certainly we look forward to a follow-up to this report when Samsung has ironed out all the kinks. But with the market looking increasingly Blu, by the time we have the answers will we still be asking the questions?
http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/108sam5000/
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page