400 Disc with dual format HD capability? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I was wondering if anyone has heard anything in the rumour mill for a unit similar to the sony 400 dvd carousel unit that will handle bluray and hd or any single format? I am just wondering if that is the next generation of players that will store a lot of discs and free up my area from case storage. As I am just starting to replace my units with HDMI 1080p stuff, this is a good time to wonder i guess. Currently I just use my PS3 to play bluray movies. Ultimately I want another dual format unit but it would be awesome to get something I can store a lot of movies in. Thoughts? Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Couple of thoughts there...

1) Sony is the primary manufacturer of changers in my experience, and they are FIRMLY pro-Blu-Ray, and wouldn't product a dual format changer unless Blu-Ray was 100% beaten out.
2) HDM takes up about 1/2 the room on my shelf... I know, still NEED a shelf, but I have almost 300 titles on a very small bookshelf.
3) There isn't currently a good, solid, well-featured dual-format player at all, so changers will be on down the road a ways.

Your best bet at this juncture would be the disc-storage units that let you retrieve a disc by typing in a number or looking it up with the attached computer's database, I've seen several AVSers use them, and they'd work with HDM just as well as CD's/DVD's.

-Josh Murrah
post #3 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't even look for one in 2008.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

You're about 18 months ahead of schedule. Check back for new electronics releases in spring 2009.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Where is Kenwood when we need them? I had both Sony mega changers and sent both back after one jammed several dvd's into the play slot then shut off the power, and one knocked over the dvds when rotating. I bought 2 Kenwood 5900m's and was, and still am thrilled with the build and picture quality (no comparison to Sony thanks to the Faroudja processer). Kenwood and/or Pioneer (The DV-F727 was a great unit) should use the same base units, redo the software, make em dual format, install the Silicon Optix Reon chip, and release them as upscale units. This is especially important since neither format will allow recording onto systems such as Kalidascope or home computers.

I agree it will be 2009 before we see anything that will make us all happy. Why the over paid CEO's can't see this market is a mystery. I would pay up $1,000 to 1200 for a great unit with no bugs and having better units available early on would keep the Bill Gates downloading effort to a minimum.

The keeper of 800 DVD's, I dream of a mega daisychainer!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM

Liked: 12
Sony just announced a 200 disc BD player/home media storage center at CES. Do a google search for more info. MSRP around $3500.00
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post

Sony just announced a 200 disc BD player/home media storage center at CES. Do a google search for more info. MSRP around $3500.00

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665231960
post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$3500 forget that.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version