whos not buying the bdup5000 cause it wont decode DTS-HD and multichannel trueHD - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 146 Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I can hardly imagine them making a profit on the PS3 yet...they've dropped the price by 33% in spite of removing a few hardware bits...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage12 View Post

I feel the same way about my OPPO 981. I have it upscaling to 1080P. It does an outstanding job. I can' wait for OPPO to enter the HD/Blu-Ray world.

And, knowing Oppo, their player will upconvert, play HD DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD-A's, SACD's, and output every advanced surround format via PCM and bitstream via HDMI.

Oh, and it'll only cost about $500, knowing their ultra-competitive pricing strategies.

Problem is, are we willing to be patient and wait for it? Hmmm.....
post #123 of 146 Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not getting it or the BH200 because of this. I'm going to CES so I will see what it has to offer.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #124 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 07:17 AM

So does this thing pass Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio bitstream to a processor? That is all I care about. I have an Integra DTC-9.8 so I'm looking forward to getting som HD-DVD/Blu-Ray action with my ststem.
post #125 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

So does this thing pass Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio bitstream to a processor? That is all I care about. I have an Integra DTC-9.8 so I'm looking forward to getting som HD-DVD/Blu-Ray action with my ststem.

Currently, no.

http://bd-up5000.wikidot.com/
post #126 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 07:37 AM

Wow, well this unit is off my list till they can fix it. This sucks. Why can't they get something this simple right?
post #127 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

Wow, well this unit is off my list till they can fix it. This sucks. Why can't they get something this simple right?

LPCM = yes >which is the lossless format on alot of BD. THD and DTSMA firmware fixes expected shortly. It still works and sounds great..
post #128 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

LPCM = yes >which is the lossless format on alot of BD. THD and DTSMA firmware fixes expected shortly. It still works and sounds great..

I really hope this is the case. Just bitstream support to my Integra and I'm a very happy camper!
post #129 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 AM

Thanx for the link.

The funny thing, I just got off the phone with Sumsung and after a 5 min wait, they said it will do bitstreaming.

It sounds to me that the hardware does support it, however they did not have time to write the correct software and test it.

I going to check the link to confirm my theory about the hardware.

Thanx
post #130 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I want bitstreaming audio on the unit before I will consider purchase, but from the reports in the owners thread it appears that the player has random hitches during movie playback that are difficult to duplicate. This definitely sounds like the previous POS Samsung BD players. I was hoping this would change with this release. Very disappointing because I wanted a combo player badly.
post #131 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I want bitstreaming audio on the unit before I will consider purchase, but from the reports in the owners thread it appears that the player has random hitches during movie playback that are difficult to duplicate. This definitely sounds like the previous POS Samsung BD players. I was hoping this would change with this release. Very disappointing because I wanted a combo player badly.

Own it, but never had "random hitches during movie playback that are difficult to duplicate". You may be listening to the vocal minority there that are unhappy it's not absolutely perfect...
post #132 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Own it, but never had "random hitches during movie playback that are difficult to duplicate". You may be listening to the vocal minority there that are unhappy it's not absolutely perfect...

I owned the 1000, 1200, and 1400 and experienced similar issues with all 3 players. The owners thread has plenty of these issues documented which is enough to scare me away even with bitstreaming audio.

I guess the question is do I listen to the vocal majority or minority? I prefer to listen to the minority, because most people try to justify their purchase. The unhappy people wanted to like the unit, but the problems prevented that from happening. I wish the issues were easy to replicate. That would make me feel much better.
post #133 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I owned the 1000, 1200, and 1400 and experienced similar issues with all 3 players. The owners thread has plenty of these issues documented which is enough to scare me away even with bitstreaming audio.

I guess the question is do I listen to the vocal majority or minority? I prefer to listen to the minority, because most people try to justify their purchase. The unhappy people wanted to like the unit, but the problems prevented that from happening. I wish the issues were easy to replicate. That would make me feel much better.

You don't think Sony, Panasonic, or Toshiba have problems with their hidef players too? And they don't even play both formats!
post #134 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't think Sony, Panasonic, or Toshiba have problems with their hidef players too? And they don't even play both formats!

Which is why I've decided to do without until somebody gets one right. Come on, all you mega-conglomerates! Who wants my money?
post #135 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

And, knowing Oppo, their player will upconvert, play HD DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD-A's, SACD's, and output every advanced surround format via PCM and bitstream via HDMI.

Oh, and it'll only cost about $500, knowing their ultra-competitive pricing strategies.

Problem is, are we willing to be patient and wait for it? Hmmm.....

Unfortunately, you are correct - it will require patience. I spoke with the folks at OPPO earlier this week to see if they anticipated releasing a HD DVD or a Blu-ray player. They said they did not anticipate releasing either in the first 6 months of 2008. Then he added - probably not in 2008 at all. Whenever they release one, I'll buy it.
post #136 of 146 Old 12-20-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My PS3 and A35 have been perfect knock on wood. All players have issues but I expect people to be open minded and give constructive criticism of these players.

What good is a player that plays both formats if it cant play movies through without a glitch? Keep in mind I wanted this player!
post #137 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 385
So is there any definitive word on when the thing will be able to play advanced codecs via analog?
post #138 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

So is there any definitive word on when the thing will be able to play advanced codecs via analog?

It already DOES play LPCM 5.1/6.1/7.1 lossless tracks right now over analog (which I have) and bitstream.

It will get a firmware release in February that will fix TrueHD stereo to TrueHD multi and also enable DTS-MA
post #139 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It already DOES play LPCM 5.1/6.1/7.1 lossless tracks right now over analog (which I have) and bitstream.

It will get a firmware release in February that will fix TrueHD stereo to TrueHD multi and also enable DTS-MA

Your response had NOTHING to do with his question. And please show the official statement from Samsung stating it will be February and what EXACTLY they are enabling.
post #140 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:

If it gets fixed in february then I might join the group. Until it does bitstreaming of every format to my Integra I'm not giving them my money. The Fox movie issue is also scary.
post #141 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:

please show the official statement from Samsung stating it will be February and what EXACTLY they are enabling.

Yes, that's what I'm looking for.
post #142 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, are you enjoying your fixed 100 Hz xover and no channel level/distance settings? Those are things that WON'T be fixed by a firmware update. Ever.
post #143 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

BTW, are you enjoying your fixed 100 Hz xover and no channel level/distance settings? Those are things that WON'T be fixed by a firmware update. Ever.

None of that matters to me really. I'm already enjoying the heck out of this machine
post #144 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Your response had NOTHING to do with his question. And please show the official statement from Samsung stating it will be February and what EXACTLY they are enabling.

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...tag=prod.txt.1
"...reflect information from a Samsung representative that the BD-UP5000 will have onboard decoding for all high resolution audio formats, including DTS-HD Master Audio."
12/07
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...bd-up5000.html
"Samsung says the player will be BD Profile 1.1-ready and will become compliant with this new standard pending a firmware upgrade to be issued by February"
* all of this is still just a bunch of quibling - it already sounds great!!
Oh yeah, LPCM = lossless, TrueHD=lossless, DTS-MA =lossless - I suppose you're going to tell me something like LPCM is not a codec or something - more quibling...
post #145 of 146 Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 PM

....may still end up with this machine, but my pre-order price was no longer the steal it once was now that the price has dropped. I see now why they dropped the price with it's not being quite ready for primetime.

I'll take another look after CES, hopefully a firmware update will appear and I'll reconsider.
post #146 of 146 Old 12-23-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

whos not buying the bdup5000 cause it wont decode DTS-HD and multichannel trueHD Reply to Thread

For that reason and the playability issues, I am not buying it. It would have been nice to be able to replace two units with one that would feed the advanced audio over analog. My Panny and A2 work just fine and I will wait until a fully functional dual format player comes out.

Dive deep, play with sharks.

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page