Resolution Question For the Pros - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am relatively new to the whole HD DvD players and have a simple question. I was shopping in a store and saw their running commercial for how great Blu Ray DVDs looked as apposed to SD DVDs. It blew me away. I noticed however that the plasma and DVD player they were using were capable of hitting 1080p. I bought my plasma years ago and I am only capable of getting up to 1080i. "I" being the keyword here. My question is.. is there a noticeble increase in resolution from interlaced to progressive? Would my TV give that great a picture? I understand SD DVDs are 420, so that I should see a noticeble difference from what I have.. but will I lose a lot by not having a progressive scan TV?

I currently own a Panasonic TH-42PX77U I believe. If you look it up I think it says 1080p but mine was a lot older and I know only goes up to 1080i. Can anyone provide me with what I can expect? Even better if anyone has one of those cool side by side pictures of SD vs. 1080i vs. 1080p would be awesome.

Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your plasma is probably actually a 768p. best resolution to send to it is 1080i. And yes it's generally worth it. I mean how does your other HD work for you? If it works well than so will HD-DVD.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-04-2007, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvispookie View Post

I bought my plasma years ago and I am only capable of getting up to 1080i. "I" being the keyword here. My question is.. is there a noticeble increase in resolution from interlaced to progressive? Would my TV give that great a picture? I understand SD DVDs are 420, so that I should see a noticeble difference from what I have.. but will I lose a lot by not having a progressive scan TV?

Your TV is progressive scan internally. 768p (likely). It converts interlaced signals into progressive. It will also convert the 1080 lines down to 768, reducing resolution.

There can be differences between 1080i and 1080p for some signal sources, but for movies on DVD or HDDVD or BluRay disks, there is no difference in image quality or resolution. Yup, NO difference. 1080p can (in some setups) be marginally better, but it has nothing to do with resolution -- just questions of possible processing artifacts in your TV. I won't get into 1080p24, as that is a rare thing even in new TVs.

While some DVDs will look awesome on your TV, as long as you don't sit a far distance away, I bet you will be very happy with the resolution (and noise and color) improvement of HDDVD or BluRay.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page