Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-09-2007, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Some real issues here. The first is the atypical gamma curve. That will make adjusting the display to properly render light & dark areas much more difficult. If your display was ISF'd, you can forget about using those settings for this player. The other video issue is some quirks with some BR disks as well as issues with java-based disks.

The second is the audio issue. Not passing or decoding high rez audio is a no no for a player priced like this.

It's amazing these companies can't get it right.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-09-2007, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ugh...no high rez audio...The BH200 kicked itself out of consideration already against the UP5k.

I agree with you Ken, at the listed price, this player is way overpriced.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would suspect the audio issue to be repaired with a firmware update...otherwise that is a real show stopper.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-09-2007, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would suspect the audio issue to be repaired with a firmware update...otherwise that is a real show stopper.

Otherwise, sounds pretty tempting.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 AM

It was interesting reading both articles. Is it usually the case that the UltimateAV version is just a more in depth superset of the Home Theather version?
post #7 of 17 Old 12-09-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
No 24fps and no HBR bitstreaming make this a piece worth xxxx

Too bad LG had to do this in an attempt to placate Samsung, but it will backfire
on them badly. You can see it all over the spec sheet on the LG USA site, where
the information is doctored to lure but hides the truth about PCM downmixed only
via HDMI with no HBR transmission. Clever how they state "24/60" for signal,
to allow the support staff to make a clever exit should the indignified
buyers call and fuss about it.

And the "an update will be available soon" don't cut
it because we live in the present, where for $750 you get a BD30 and A35
that do everything.

I held LG so high after i got my ATSC tuner with an array of antennas and dual
amps that allowed me to watch the first PBS-HD broadcasts in my area from 70
miles away, but now i have to take a step back and think again. I am sure they
are a great company, and will do right by their customers, but please leave beta
testing on the customer to Sony, that has been their specialty for 20 years.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM

Just checked the LG Site and found two (2) firmware updates for the BH200 hi-def DVD player. One is dated 14 Jan 2008, the other 12 Mar 2008. Not sure if both require installation, in THAT ORDER, or if the 12 Mar 2008 firmware update incorporates the 14 Jan 2008 firmware update. Tend to NOT think so as they are different sizes.

Here's the link: us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

Anyone successfully applying either, or BOTH, or the more recent of these firmware updates, please respond with your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks very much.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Where do you see one dated 14th of March 2008? I only see 24th of January 2008.

Please see the second post here regarding whether you need to install both firmware, in short no you don't need to -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104
post #10 of 17 Old 03-21-2008, 08:02 AM

bradavon: The reason I mentioned the two(2) dates is because there are two (2) .ZIP files on the LG Download Site: the first .ZIP is about 40MB and is dated 14 Jan 2008. The second is about 34MB and is dated 12 Mar 2008. Both .ZIP files have the same name, so if you download both, one gets overwritten. I downloaded the first one, then changed the name and downloaded the second one. I then looked into the .ZIP files to see these differences. Thanks very much for your link. By the way, I am still seeing both of these firmware downloads, with their accompanying .PDF explanation files, on the LG USA Web Site. Just re-confirmed that both are still on the LG USA/Support/Device Drivers/DVD&Video&Set Top pathname. (us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp)

I'm still a bit confused as to which of the two (2) firmware versions will "fix" the BH200? The larger file, dated 14 Jan 2008, matches your byte size caveat in Post #2. So what's in the second firmware update dated 12 Mar 2008?
post #11 of 17 Old 03-21-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post

bradavon: The reason I mentioned the two(2) dates is because there are two (2) .ZIP files on the LG Download Site: the first .ZIP is about 40MB and is dated 14 Jan 2008. The second is about 34MB and is dated 12 Mar 2008.

Agreed there are two ZIP files but you're wrong about the dates. Where are you getting these dates from? No one else sees them.

The one lower down in the list is nearly 40Mb but has a 19th of November date (as illustrated in the firmwares name name BH02071119P) and the second 34Mb 24th of January (also illustrated by the firmwares name BH02080124R).

BH02080124R - 2008-01-24
BH02071119P - 2007-11-19

You can see this from the names each firmware has been given.

Quote:

Both .ZIP files have the same name, so if you download both, one gets overwritten.

Correct. LG use the same template ZIP filename for all firmware releases it seems.

Quote:

Just re-confirmed that both are still on the LG USA/Support/Device Drivers/DVD&Video&Set Top pathname. (us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp)

Prior to the 17th of March there was just one firmware download dated the 19th of November and 34Mb. Then a second one appeared dated the 24th of January and was 38Mb. This has now gone and it's been replaced with another firmware file the same date but 40Mb. It is the firmware from the 19th of November and the fixed (from LG's perspective) 24th of January firmware you can now see.

Quote:

I'm still a bit confused as to which of the two (2) firmware versions will "fix" the BH200?

Neither as one is from November and the other January. I do know this, the only way to get the illusive March firmware is from the two links in my thread.

Quote:

The larger file, dated 14 Jan 2008, matches your byte size caveat in Post #2.

I've just downloaded it and can confirm it's byte size is:

ZIP File: 40,322,800 bytes
ROM File: 40,316,518 bytes

That's because it's not a 14th of January 2008 Firmware but the older 19th of November 2007 firmware (as the firmware name suggests).

March ROM File size: 38,955,543 bytes as detailed in my thread.

I'm not sure where you're getting this information from as it differs completely to everyone else. Where are you reading these dates? Nothing I see mentions
14 Jan 2008 or 12 Mar 2008.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Brad: Thanx very much for the explanation of the two (2) .ZIP files I see on the LG USA download site for the LG BH200. That helps clarify. I was able to download the newest version you mention in your second post via that link, and did confirm the byte size to be correct. Thanks again.

As an aside, I'm getting the impression that most folks are now more convinced that LG is the duo player to go with, not the BD-UP5000. Is that your take? Is it because the LG folks seem to be much more customer-service-oriented and responsive than the Samsung folks?

I don't know why I ended up on this thread. Looked to be very sparse, leading to have concerns over the LG duo player. The link you sent me to your second post took me to a totally different, far more diverse and sophisticated thread which more than confirmed the LG commitment to both the duo product and customers.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate your assistance, time & effort.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As an aside, I'm getting the impression that most folks are now more convinced that LG is the duo player to go with, not the BD-UP5000. Is that your take? Is it because the LG folks seem to be much more customer-service-oriented and responsive than the Samsung folks?

Oh definitely. LG BH200 all the way. Why? -

1. Samsung have officially cancelled their BD-UP5500
2. Samsung have promised a lot but so far haven't delivered.
3. Samsung said the Firmware for the BD-UP5000 would be coming in May, so far nothing has been said since. I personally doubt it will now come at all but would love to be proved wrong.

Likewise:

1. Only days after Toshiba dropped HD-DVD, LG (unlike Samsung) issued a press release saying they'll continue to support HD-DVD Combos (they called them Hybrids)
2. LG by the way of two employees have let us know on this forum that a Firmware upgrade is coming and have even let us know what it will include:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13280409

3. On the 17th of March a firmware upgrade was accidentally slipped out to the LG website, we all went ballistic like dogs on heat, then LG pulled it on the 20th of March
4. But no real loss as everyone seems (very) happy with the March firmware and it does prove LG are working on it, and that it will make an official return.
5. A user in the Main BH200 thread said yesterday at a Texas Trade Fair LG said a BH300 was coming "in a few months", we know this will be Profile 2.0 but otherwise nothing else yet.

Quote:

I don't know why I ended up on this thread.

I was wondering the same. It last had activity in September . Can I suggest you continue posting here:

The Main LG BH200 Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=926099

Or here:

If it's talk of the March Firmware or Firmware related in general: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

Quote:

The link you sent me to your second post took me to a totally different, far more diverse and sophisticated thread which more than confirmed the LG commitment to both the duo product and customers.

Yep. I've started a Mini-FAQ

Quote:

Thanks very much, I really appreciate your assistance, time & effort.

No worries. Glad I could help.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 09:37 AM

Liked: 12
I just read a review from a user who has both the LG and the Samsung, and he stated that the Samsungs upconversion was way better than the LG - that the LG was very soft in comparison. I'm looking to replace my Toshiba AX2, and the LG sounds like the best option now - except for this one point. I've read conflicting reports, I wish knew for sure if the LG upconverts a soft picture, as I use a 106" screen. I own a very large amount of SD DVDs of favorite A/B movie actors like Rutger Hauer, Charles Bronson etc. - and who knows if these sort of titles will ever make it to Blue Ray. I wouldn't expect that the LG300 will have a different upconversion chip. Leaving the Toshiba in the system defeats the whole point, I'd be smarter to keep it, and wait for the new 2.0 Sonys or Panasonics if the LG has poor upconversion. Is anyone here willing to go to the mat for LG's upconversion?
post #15 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I wouldn't take the word of one user ever over how good an Upscaler is, as it's all so subjective.

Besides even if it is Soft that is still no reason to pick the Samsung up.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 04:04 PM

Regarding Mooog's concern with the BH200 upscalability: my unit, made in December 2007 with firmware BH02071119 (not upgraded to Mar 2008 yet) did a better job of upscaling several of my hundreds of SD DVD's. I was quite impressed with the apparent increase in picture quality/detail vs. the upconverting Sony player I'd been using. I do NOT have the BD-UP5000, so I cannot speak to that devices SD quality.

I also watched a few hi-def discs including "PLANET EARTH" (BBC) in Blu-ray and "THE SHOOTER" in HD-DVD. Both worked really well, although my display, a 4 year old Sony, is only 1080i capable via HDMI. My A/V receiver is an 8 year old Sony STR-DA777ES, which doesn't have HDMI inputs or any of the newer audio codec processing, but I was quite impressed with the various audio setting I tried. Connected from BH200 -> STR-DA777ES via Toslink (SPDIF) optical connection. Connected from BH-200 -> KDF-60XS955 via HDMI. Additional audio connection between KDF-60XS955 -> STR-DA777ES via Toslink (SPDIF) optical. All seems to work quite nicely and without any glitches. So far, I'm happy.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Liked: 12
I have one of the first Samsung HD upconverting dvd players with faroudja dcdi, and the only thing good I could say about it's picture was that if you like film grain, it's the player for you. It does read discs very well and plays SACD, but Samsung players seem to have a general history of bad performance, so I'd prefer to buy the LG, even with the $100.00 price difference. I have been extremely impressed with the Reon Chip in the Toshiba HD-AX2, certain titles like "Once Upon A Time In the West" were very near HD in quality on my Optoma HD80, so I do hate to give that up - I suppose I should just buy the LG and do a comparison with the Toshiba. I believe the $7000.00 Pioneer SC-09TX uses the same processing chip as the LG, so it must be pretty good? My projector uses Pixelworks DNX processing, and perhaps that is just as good as Reon. I wish there was some sort of processing shootout article available, my Denon 4308 has a different processor yet again, a Faroudja. I was kind of hoping that some online store would have a super promo with it - a canadien company is currently offering the LG for $448.00 with 3 popular blue ray titles for free! Amazon.com currently has a promo for the Samsung 5000, but it's pretty pathetic.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page