BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3961 of 13658 Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

To all the folks contemplating the 5k for its "potential":

Of course I'm hoping Samsung can fix some of these very minor problems I've encountered on a few rare occasions, and I'm hoping they can improve the machine regarding 4:3 stretching, audio codecs, etc. - the basic fact is that my family and I have been enjoying this machine for the past 3 weeks. We've seen quite a few nice HDDVD and BD movies, and anticipate seeing many more.

Let me just paraphrase what others have written here. I've owned many pieces of audio/video equipment over the years. Every one of them - from bargain basement to mid-fi stuff - has had a few quirks and design flaws. A duo player is a magnitude more complex than even a standalone HD or BD player. That's my 2 cents' worth.

Enjoy!
Doug

+1

HD DVD: 101 Blu-ray: 39 DVD: 393
Samsung BD-UP5000 - TrueHD & DTS-HD MSTR : HD-D2 : PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 13658 Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 PM

I purchased my 5000 on the 22nd. It has the original FW, but has played every disc perfectly, including LForDH, which it seem many have had problems with. Should I update the FW to version 1 or wait till I have an issue?

HD DVD: 101 Blu-ray: 39 DVD: 393
Samsung BD-UP5000 - TrueHD & DTS-HD MSTR : HD-D2 : PS3
post #3963 of 13658 Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTX View Post

I purchased my 5000 on the 22nd. It has the original FW, but has played every disc perfectly, including LForDH, which it seem many have had problems with. Should I update the FW to version 1 or wait till I have an issue?

Really its up to you. You may come across a problem disc that the firmware has a fix for.
post #3964 of 13658 Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTX View Post

Pre firmware, I didn't have a problem with LFoDH. My problem was with RE:Extinction, but Ph8te is correct, it is up to you.

However, should you have to call Samsung apply the firmware first.

this brings me back to my Systems Engineering days.. I was told by Compaq NOT to install a firmware unless it addressed a problem I may have been having; I have a problem NOT addressed by the firmware, and they tell me "Do you have the latest firmware?" It was very perplexing early in my career..

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #3965 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 04:46 AM

Out of curiosity, did anyone who registered their 5k with Samsung receive an e-mail notifying you of the firmware update?
Bob
post #3966 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sst4 View Post

Out of curiosity, did anyone who registered their 5k with Samsung receive an e-mail notifying you of the firmware update?
Bob

Not I.

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #3967 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Bob

I didn't either....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #3968 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

Not I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

I didn't either....

Seggers

nor did I.

post #3969 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Bob

I didn't either. I did return mine a couple days ago - but I am going to wait to purchase anything for a while. I really did like the 5000 & only had the audio skips in SD (which the firmware update fixed for me), however I didn't want to have purchased a $800 player that I can probably buy for less than that again when/if the 5000 is finally fixed - or if a diff player comes out that is comparable in features that the 5000 was supposed to have. I didn't see any diff (in my eyes anyway) in the SD upconversion between the 5000 & my $70 RCA DVD player. That could be due to my Mits 62627 only accepting 1080i HDMI in & the Mits not upconverting to 1080p properly (as has been reported on various websites).

Anyway, as long as you guys don't mind, I will lurk here & not post unless I can add some helpful comments from my experience with the 5000 for 3 weeks.
post #3970 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwit View Post

Well I been a happy owner of the 5000, since 01/19, alot has happened since then.
Having had a PS3 and A1 for over a year I'm used to having Hi-Def discs
that don't work, or skip, until firmware updates come along...We should really
be getting mad at the Movie Production companies , especially Fox, who appear to do whatever they damn well please, and then we wait many months for the DVD manufactures, to give a firmware update. Twice as hard for Samsung with the 5000 based on dual format. Why is there is no standardization with these discs??/

My only apprehension about not keeping the 5000, is weather it will ever
internally decode DTS-HD ot True -HD in 5.1 ..Am I to understand the reason
why many think it will never decode these formats is because, someone from
Engadget is not getting a reply to his e-mail to Broadcom ??? Or because Samsung will replace the 5000.... eventually with the 5500, 6500.
So are we speculating that the 5000 won't decode advanced formats
based on rumors????

Bob

That's the way I look at it. Personally, I have no doubt there will be several new iterations of firmware just as there has been for other players and that one of them will fix the audio. Waiting until May doesn't bother me. It actually will be like getting somewhat of a new player audio-wise . On the video side I'm very pleased to this point.

Cheers,

Doug
post #3971 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 07:34 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro5 View Post

So they honored the BB coupon at CC?? I heard that CC doesn't honor competitors' coupons when price matching.

Yes, they did. Before I headed over there I read their policy and it states they will NOT honor any rebates or defered offers. The price match has to be "at the point of sale" which this DOES fall into.
post #3972 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukester View Post

Well, I called Samsung CS today...twice and guess what? I was given two different answers on when the next firmware was coming out. Kevin told me 1-1/2 to 2 weeks. Kay just told me in "the next several weeks". When I told them of the problems I was having, such as still not playing Mr. Woodcock, audio dropouts playing CDs, audio dropouts on DVDs and HDMI sync problems, they say they are well aware of the problems and that technicians are working on them.

They both actually got a little testy with me when I pushed them even the slightest bit, and I was VERY polite. They just keept saying "Yes, we are aware of the problems." I did mention at the end that there were just as many people taking these players back as buying them at the moment because of the problems. Kay says that the problem is with the blu ray discs themselves and that Samsung is not completely to blame. I partly agree but this thing seems to have been broken to begin with.

It seems to me that the CS people are getting just as tired of hearing about the problems as we are of experiencing them. Keep calling, folks!

I actually got Mr. Woodcock on BD to play last night. I had to do a lot of starting and stopping, turning the player on and off, etc, but I eventually got it past the "Warning" screen and it played from start to finish without any glitches.

The only other thing that I noticed that wasn't quite right was that the disc only has a DTS-HD Master 7.1 audio track, but my receiver interpreted what the player was sending it as a 6.1 audio feed... this was with the player set to "Audiophile" mode over an HDMI 1.3 connection to a Pioneer 92TXH, and sound was coming out of all of my 5.1 channels.
post #3973 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Sorry if this has been asked on the owners thread before .. i searched the thread but did not see this specific question asked ...

can the 5000 put out 480i over HDMI for SD DVD's automatically ? and 1080p24 for bluray/hddvd's automatically ? without me having to reconfigure the settings manually depending on what disc i want to watch.

i have an external video processor that i want to use to do the upconverting/scaling for SD DVD's so i want the 5000 to not mess with the 480i coming off the DVD and just pass it straight through over HDMI.
post #3974 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

The answer is no, you can go 480p over HDMI but not 480i.
post #3975 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptre-lcd View Post

can the 5000 put out 480i over HDMI for SD DVD's automatically ? and 1080p24 for bluray/hddvd's automatically ? without me having to reconfigure the settings manually depending on what disc i want to watch.

A "native" mode would make sense, but no. There's only the option in the setup menu.

Kevin Windrem
post #3976 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 AM

After following the various BD-UP5000 threads for the past 6 months, I took the plunge 20 Jan with a 10% coupon at BB. I have the firmware update burned to a CD ready to go, but I have not yet installed it.

And so far, the results are stunning. Apocalypto BD was the first disc my wife and I watched -- I can see why it is in the Tier 0 reference category. I heard a scratchy audio spot during the menu loop, but the movie itself sounded great (even with only 2 channels over the Toslink that show up as DTS multichannel on my Yamaha non-HDMI receiver).

I have had to restart the player only once when it locked up after 28 seconds on the Breach HD-DVD, but other than that, it puts out an awesome image. Just for kicks I flipped the Breach combo disc over to the SD side for comparison, and what an image the Reon makes. My SD collection will have never looked so good.

Also skimmed through the Blade Runner HD-DVD, and what a killer image. Ridley Scott's vision has never looked so good. Last, I watched the Bourne Identity HD-DVD, and it also rocked.

This unit, even with a few reported quirks and without the firmware upgrade applied as of yet, is awesome. For an all-in-one BD/HD-DVD/upconverted SD unit requiring only one unit's connections to my existing receiver (requiring no receiver upgrade) with an HDMI video signal to my Sony KDS-R60XBR2 1080p HD RPTV is a godsend. This plus my Dish HD receiver (1080i) makes for quite a satisfactory HD setup.

And I believe Samsung will come through with additional firmware upgrades to make this player even better (assuming Broadcom delivers their drivers as they have indicated). It may not be perfect, but for an all-in-one unit it is better than anything else out there.

If/when the Samsung/Broadcom team comes through with the promised firmware, I think consumer history will show this to be the player to have owned.
post #3977 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Bob

I dd'nt either.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #3978 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 10:10 AM

I just got off the phone with samsung and they say that 2.0 is on the way. should be posted on the samsung web this week. I have no idea what is in the revision but its a good sign that here working hard to get things fixed. I dont want to return this player it does so many things right.
post #3979 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 10:27 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theater3 View Post

I just got off the phone with samsung and they say that 2.0 is on the way. should be posted on the samsung web this week. I have no idea what is in the revision but its a good sign that here working hard to get things fixed. I dont want to return this player it does so many things right.

I hope it fixes the missing glowing blue light that is in all the marketing photos of the player, but is thus far MIA on the player itself!
post #3980 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theater3 View Post

Per my post in the issues thread with my unit locking up and no longer plays any discs, see post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12933055
and per comments in a follow up post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12934713

The Samsung rep said he heard rumors of the Firmware update for audio codecs in the next couple weeks, but maybe all he really heard was talk about an update in general. After returning my borked 5k and buying a new one with the 20% coupon. I'll give them 30 days to show some updates, or may give up on it.
post #3981 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 PM

Well I am nearing the 30 day return period (01/31) on my 5K. I have been reading everyone's posts and using them to help my decision on whether to return or not. So far I have had but a couple of problem with BD titles (3:10 to Yuma, Superbad, & Ratatouille), but they all were fixed from the recent FW update. I actually have multiple HDMI inputs, both on my TV (Sony 70XBR2) & my AVR (Sony ES-5300), and I have room on my rack, so those issues were not a concern. I was fortunate enough to get the 5k for an excellent price ($661 out the door), so the price was not outrageous, or even close to the $1000 that I had initially been expecting to pay for the player.

All this being said, I was leaning towards keeping it, but the recent news of the 5K being discontinued was alarming. SO I think I came up with the solution based on what I read what one other poster stated. Given that I am still within my return period, I decided to buy some insurance. I am going to the store today and purchasing the 3-year extended warranty (about $85). If I have any problems in the future that I can't live with and/or Samsung doesn't deliver the FW upgrades as promised, I will return the player based on the fact that it is not working as it should (ie defective). At that time, I can then exchange it for a "comparable player", whether it be the 6500, etc.

In the interim, I will continue to enjoy the convenience of having one unit, eliminating clutter, and the excellent REON benefits on my massive SD collection.
post #3982 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

have there been any reviews that describe how the 5000's Reon compares to that of the XA2. Same chip, I know, but was Samsung able to get the same quality output that Toshiba managed to get using the Reon in the XA2?
post #3983 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post

I hope it fixes the missing glowing blue light that is in all the marketing photos of the player, but is thus far MIA on the player itself!

if it doesn't add the Blue Light, mine is going back, DAMNIT!!!!!!!!

Actually, it is good hear that another FW is coming. I heard that they were working on it, but I wasn't able to get a date.

post #3984 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptre-lcd View Post

Sorry if this has been asked on the owners thread before .. i searched the thread but did not see this specific question asked ...

i have an external video processor that i want to use to do the upconverting/scaling for SD DVD's so i want the 5000 to not mess with the 480i coming off the DVD and just pass it straight through over HDMI.

If you set it to 1080p/60fs, you can use the composite outs for 480i
post #3985 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson View Post

if it doesn't add the Blue Light, mine is going back, DAMNIT!!!!!!!!

Actually, it is good hear that another FW is coming. I heard that they were working on it, but I wasn't able to get a date.

Too funny! Actually the last thing I need in my system is another light!!! Now with the network hub and Oppo HDMI switcher, etc.
If they add a light I'm taking mine back!!!!!!!!!!

It sure will be nice to get some of these firmware updates behind us and have a completely working 5000. Once the audio codecs come I'll be a happy man even though I can't use them yet. It will just ease my mind to know I'll be ready for the new processor.

I've been loving this thing! Watched an SD of "Arsenic & Old Lace" w/Cary Grant last night. Even in B&W it looked great on the 52" DLP. The Reon system really fills in the blanks and doesn't look grainy at all. Very sharp and clean! Even a hint of depth to it. I've decided to relax and just enjoy the 5000. Still rarely having any problems and what there have been have been minimal so I've just been enjoying it.

Cary Cinema 12 Pre/Pro, XPA-3 & UPA-2 Amps.
2 DIY Vifa 12" Subs, HTPC-3D, Moncaso 301P, Svr: Norco RPC-4020-24TB WHS.
Ctr:ML Motif, Rrs:ML Fresco i w/Abyss sub.

post #3986 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Liked: 20
As anyone been able to play this thru yet? I have it and I would sure like to see the film
post #3987 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 04:12 PM

Just finished watching Live Free or Die Hard (Blue-Ray) and it played perfect and the sound was great. I had the audio set for Bitstream (Audiophile) so it played in Dolby Digital. Should I have had the audio set for Bitstream (Re-encode) so it would have played in DTS?

Firmware has been updated. I have had no problems since the update. Will be trying Sunshine tomorrow.

Thanks
post #3988 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

have there been any reviews that describe how the 5000's Reon compares to that of the XA2. Same chip, I know, but was Samsung able to get the same quality output that Toshiba managed to get using the Reon in the XA2?

[quote=ckelly33;12940552]

In the process of trying to find a high def. player I briefly had the XA2 and my son's Xbox player. We really thought the Xbox had the better HD DVD playback image. I recently had the 5K and felt its image was much better than the XA2 on reg. DVDs. It has been a while since I had the XA2 so I can't remember if it had settings that I should/may have adjusted to get the best HD DVD picture. If it doesn't or does its best up conversion of SD disks right out of the box, then, IMO, the 5K has a much better SD up converted image. The 5K and the XA2 both having the Reon chip makes me wonder what makes the 5K image better, but it definitely has the better SD image. Not so sure about which one has the best HD disk image. As I said, it has been a while since I had the XA2, and that first impression (King Kong on Xbox) in HD made an impression. I had folks question why I thought the Xbox was better than the XA2, and it may very well have been settings on HD material. On 5K SD up conversion I really enjoyed going back and watching Alien (1979) as well as other older regular DVDs. I remember the XA2 improving the SD images but I didn't get the excitement of looking forward to going back and watching the old DVDs that I got on the 5K. Hope this helps. I should probably also mention that I am using a native 720p IN76 projector with HDMI video directly from the players to throw a 14' wide 2:35 image.
post #3989 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjimsey View Post

As anyone been able to play this thru yet? I have it and I would sure like to see the film

Yeah, I FINALLY got it to play through last night after about 45 mins of powering off, on, ejecting, reinserting, blah, blah, blah. Even then it had audio hiccups the whole way through. It would play OK for a few mins then the audio would screw up for about the same amount of time then clear up. Pausing the movie would sometimes clear it up but I got tired of pausing it every 3-5 minutes It did play all the way through, however.
post #3990 of 13658 Old 01-26-2008, 05:02 PM

Liked: 13
Hello,

This is my first time on the forums, so forgive me if I am a bit new to all this.

I just bought a Samsung BP-UP5000 earlier today from BestBuy.
I saw this player at BestBuy a few weeks ago at $999. But, recently the price at BestBuy dropped to $799. And, in the mail, I received a coupon for 20% off all HD and BluRay DVD players for this weekend.

So, I decided to take the plunge, and got mine for $640 + tax.

Now, this is my first HD or BluRay player. Up until now, I have been using an Oppo DV-981HD player a friend sold me (he upgraded to a higher end player).

Anyways, if I may (since there are soooo many pages to this forum thread that I feel daunted trying to read thru it all), I would like to ask a few questions I hope someone can summarize for me?

1.) Will the Samsung do a better job of upscaling regular DVDs to 1080p than my Oppo? (I have a Samsung HLS 5087s 50" DLP HDTV by the way).

2.) Can I play region 1 and 2 standard DVDs on the Samsung? (I currently can play both regions on the Oppo).

3.) Should I plug the Samsung into the ethernet jack?

4.) I heard something about updates to the Samsung. Should I apply these updates to the Samsung, what do they do, and how do I acquire them?

5.) Are there any "watch out for this" issues with the Samsung?

6.) Any other things a new Samsung BP-UP5000 owner should be aware of?

Thanks alot!

-Nakoruru
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page