BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4681 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I don't think the retailers care about selling new Blu-Ray players to the handful of people who have earlier ones. They are more interested in selling lots of Blu-Ray players to the bulk of the population that has stayed away from buying into any new disc format. I think that's why the retailers were so quick to jump on Warner's move. They want to sell players in big quantities, not just to early adapters. That means getting the format war over with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
from Parky above: "...The one thing keeping me from returning it is the Reon chip. My DVD's look better with this player than my twice as expense Rotel DVD...."

I agree. If you never even put a HD DVD in the player you still have BR and in my opinion "I have not seen a better SD DVD upscaling/upconverting picture/image from any other player/receiver/display device to date." If some you have seen better we need a list to help out those who are on the fense. I think the cost of anything better will quickly make most decide the 5K is a good deal.
Also, we need list of HD DVDs that are not on BR or that are rated better on HD DVD than BR. Anyone know where such list might be? I would like to start collecting the HD DVDs that are not on BR or that are better than the BR due to sound consideratins or whatever before they are all gone.
post #4683 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 12:35 PM

Liked: 10
I have had the 5000 since the end of December and kick myself every day for not returning it within the 30 days. Not because of the Blu-ray apparent victory or the advanced audio codecs (still firmware hope), but because of a lock-up issue. I had hoped the lock-up issue was firmware related, but now have my doubts.

On almost every movie (BD, HD, SD), the player locks-up about 1/2 hour (it varies) in to the movie. I have to turn off the player and then turn it back on. I then skip to the spot where the movie stopped and it will play all the way through. Almost every movie locks up once.

I should have returned this player immediately instead of hoping for a firmware fix.
post #4684 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 12:42 PM

(apology for repeating some things I have stated before but it may be worthwhile for those new owners or potential owners)

Dec 08 build, V1.0 since day 1. I have watched in excess of 40 titles now, with a nice mix of HD, BD and SD (though for the last few weeks almost exclusively High Def). I am a blockbuster customer so almost all my titles have been rented (about 10 are in my library). At least as of today BB is still stocking HD and BD. All titles I have rented have played just fine. I have stated here before that some have problems and others don't - this surely sounds like a Mfg QC issue. I have had only these two minor issues (I don't bother to rent the titles listed in the known problems thread):

- I have had to power down the 5K three times to get a movie to play, though with a small sample I am not certain what, if any, pattern that can/should be reported to Samsung.
- There are short audio dropouts as reported by others, again I don't see a pattern and it is very infrequent for me (though I will admit is is certainly possible that there are more that I just don't notice as much as others do).

I do follow the news in the industry and I only really care IF all this good BD news really opens the floodgates and we get an increase in the number of titles released in High Def.

IMHO a bigger issue for us is how long Samsung (and LG for that matter) continue to work through the issues with Broadcom and continue to support this chip. It seems to me that is it not a coincidence that the 5500 and our major audio update is due in the 2nd quarter. It would be shocking to me that Samsung would release the 5500 without first fixing the issues they have had with the Broadcom chip (I guess, in theory, they could just change the specs and that would surely suck). I guess between now and the 2nd quarter Universal/Dreamworks/Paramount could make the announcement about dropping HD in favor of BD. That may create a situation where Samsung (and LG) might abandon the Combo players that they have in the pipeline (5500 and 6500). Again that might not be terrible for us unless they also decide to abandon the Broadcom chip and move to another supplier for their future players.

In the meantime, I am very happy with my purchase and absolutely love the picture I get on all versions. I should note that my audio is Dolby Digital 5.1 so my concern about the audio update at this point is less those who have an more advanced AV set up.

Cheers
Don
post #4685 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I was in Best Buy yesterday looking at the BD-UP5000, and the demo model they had set up was motorboating like hell as it played the closing credits of some film. Was that fixed with the one and only firmware update so far, or is motorboating still a problem?

FWIW, I have installed the first firmware update to my 5000 and I experienced motorboating with Transformers on HD-DVD...I haven't had a problem with any other titles I've played.
post #4686 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCGUY View Post

I have watched Black Hawk Down at least 3 times since buying my 5k. I have not had a single issue watching this movie. I do believe I purchased the movie after the firmware update. I pause it, rewind it, fast foward it, it doesn't matter I have not had a problem with that. I have only watched Rattatoule 1 time without any problems when I did as suggested and turned off the subtitles in the player.

Do you have the current firmware?

Yes I have the 1.0 Firmware. That is why I am frustrated with the unit because it has all of the latest firmware and still exhibits problems. Maybe it is a unit specific thing but I have never had these types of issues with the Onkyo or with the two A2's that I own.
post #4687 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I want to first apologize if this has already been covered. I just got my BD-UP5000 yesterday at BB and although I was successful at updating to the latest FW via a CD, I want to know if anyone has been successful at connecting to the internet with comcast cable as the ISP? I have tried everything I can think of and the unit continues to tell me it cannot connect.

My modem is a Toshiba PCX2600 and my
Download Speed: 17946 kbps (2243.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1671 kbps (208.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have tried connecting via my BEFSR41 and directly to the modem itself to no avail. Ive tried manually inputting the settings and leaving everything on auto and still nothing. Samsung says it should work automatically via the default settings but it does not.

Has this been covered yet? Thanks
post #4688 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1406 View Post

Hi,

I think that we have a collectors item.

Word Martin. I'm a happy 5000 owner, and saved the box and all.

I'm betting on the 5500/6500 being canceled. Samsung could be the hero of the day, and offer refuge for all the Toshiba player owners about to get burned - allowing them to keep their HD DVDs as Blu-Ray ushers forward.

...or maybe we'll all loose, and downloads will prevail with most of the public not carrying about the bleeding edge.
post #4689 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

I want to first apologize if this has already been covered. I just got my BD-UP5000 yesterday at BB and although I was successful at updating to the latest FW via a CD, I want to know if anyone has been successful at connecting to the internet with comcast cable as the ISP? I have tried everything I can think of and the unit continues to tell me it cannot connect.

I have Comcast, and mine connects fine.
post #4690 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:

I have tried connecting via my BEFSR41 and directly to the modem itself to no avail. Ive tried manually inputting the settings and leaving everything on auto and still nothing. Samsung says it should work automatically via the default settings but it does not.

I have Comcast also and have never had a problem connecting to Samsung. When I first got an Xbox 360 and a high speed router it did have the same problem you describe. My problem was my firewall settings.
post #4691 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 04:58 PM

Gengiskwan, it sounds like you have a defective unit. I've never had any lockups with my player. You should see if the store that you bought it from will exchange it. If not, you'll have to contact Samsung about fixing / replacing it since a firmware update is unlikely to fix it since it looks like the problem is specific to your machine. Hopefully you can get a new unit as this is a very good player. It will be a great player once it can handle the advance audio codecs.
post #4692 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post

FWIW, I have installed the first firmware update to my 5000 and I experienced motorboating with Transformers on HD-DVD...I haven't had a problem with any other titles I've played.

Thanks Doogle. So not fixed then.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #4693 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:

It has been covered but no big deal as this topic is way to long to start from page 1. I have comcast and ran into the same problem but this is what cured it.
If you connect it to the modem directly as I do when needed you first need to unplug the power to the modem and have the 5k turned off. Run your internet line from the modem to the 5k. Power back up the modem and the 5k. This is the only way I can get my 5k to recognize the connection.
Hope this works for you. Seems everything needs to reset.
post #4694 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttedesc View Post

On almost every movie (BD, HD, SD), the player locks-up about 1/2 hour (it varies) in to the movie. I have to turn off the player and then turn it back on. I then skip to the spot where the movie stopped and it will play all the way through. Almost every movie locks up once...

This is not normal behavior. I'd look into getting your unit replaced or repaired.

Kevin Windrem
post #4695 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwindrem View Post

This is not normal behavior. I'd look into getting your unit replaced or repaired.

That's what I was afraid of. It seems to be some kind of warm-up issue, because it only happens within the first 1/2 hour of the first movie when I watch more than one. If this had been the only issue, I would have swapped it within th 30 days, but I just assumed it was a firmware issue with the rest of the problems. Now I'll have to fight Samsung Tech support and try to ship it out for repair.
post #4696 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

I have Comcast, and mine connects fine.

You care to explain how it is connected in detail please? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam263 View Post

I have Comcast also and have never had a problem connecting to Samsung. When I first got an Xbox 360 and a high speed router it did have the same problem you describe. My problem was my firewall settings.

Hmm, but being directly connected to the modem I should not have this problem. The moment I told Samsung I was directly connected to the modem and on Comcast they imediately decided to send me a update cd instead of trying to help me connect. Some features require an internet connection and for 800 I want this connection as well...

Quote:

It has been covered but no big deal as this topic is way to long to start from page 1. I have comcast and ran into the same problem but this is what cured it.
If you connect it to the modem directly as I do when needed you first need to unplug the power to the modem and have the 5k turned off. Run your internet line from the modem to the 5k. Power back up the modem and the 5k. This is the only way I can get my 5k to recognize the connection.

I think I tried that but now that you mention it I will do it again and pay close attention to the procedure. May I ask what network settings your k5 is using please?

Thanks everyone
post #4697 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You care to explain how it is connected in detail please? Thanks

My 5K is plugged into a Linksys WRT54GL router. The router is plugged into a Linksys cable modem. I also have a TiVo, Xbox 360, and Motorola NIM100 plugged into the same router (as well as several devices that connect to it wirelessly).

I didn't have to change any of the network settings on the 5K. It automatically grabbed an IP address from my router and connected fine the first time I tried.
post #4698 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 PM

It may be unit specific however I am not really happy with the player and the retailer I bought it from will take it back. With the demise of HD-DVD I am looking for a good deal on an XA2 or DV-HD805 and will most likely wait for a 2.0 compliant BD player later this year. Oh well.....
post #4699 of 13588 Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Mine connected right away after making sure DHCP was enabled on the 5000. I think that's the default any way.

I'll assume you have no problems reaching the internet via a web browser on your computer and that you are using DHCP via your router for your local area network. If not you'll need to setup an IP address, net mask, default gateway and probably a DNS server manually on the 5000.

If you're using DHCP, Power cycle the 5000 and check to see if it's assigned an IP address to the 5000 (status/local network/DHCP Client Table). There's no host name for my entry for the 5000. If not, you may need to trouble shoot the physical connection.

Next enable logging in the router (Administration/log) and go to the 5000's firmware update menu and attempt an update. Now check the router's log. You should see a request from the 5000 to access a web page. See if you can open that page from a web browser. It won't say much but you'll get an error page.

Another test is to see if the 5000 sets its clock automatically. If the clock has already been set manually, turn off the NTP server (actually it is an NTP client!) and set the 5000's clock to the WRONG time and make sure the timezone is correct. Then turn the NTP server back on. You may need to power cycle the 5000 to get it to set the clock. If the 5000's clock gets set to the correct time, it is reaching the internet.

Kevin Windrem
post #4700 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbouch8828 View Post

The recent announcements concerning the probable near-term demise of HD-DVD will make updating the firmware for the 5000 a wasted effort for Samsung engineering as their won't be any real long term return for that development work.

I don't think that the HD-DVD situation has anything to do with Samsung continuing to update the 5000. The issues that need adressing pertain to audio capabilities, general bugs with ALL formats, and disc compatibility. ALL of these are just as important now as they were when HD-DVD was still alive.

It's just as important for Samsung to continue updating this unit as it is for them to update ANY unit, and any lack of support on Samsung's part will most likely result in a VERY bad reputation for Samsung in this market. Continuing to support this player, on the other hand, will have the opposite effect since it will make this player one of the best players on the market, giving them features like the Reon chip AND the ability to play HD-DVDs if needed.

Larry
post #4701 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

I don't think that the HD-DVD situation has anything to do with Samsung continuing to update the 5000. The issues that need adressing pertain to audio capabilities, general bugs with ALL formats, and disc compatibility. ALL of these are just as important now as they were when HD-DVD was still alive.

It's just as important for Samsung to continue updating this unit as it is for them to update ANY unit, and any lack of support on Samsung's part will most likely result in a VERY bad reputation for Samsung in this market. Continuing to support this player, on the other hand, will have the opposite effect since it will make this player one of the best players on the market, giving them features like the Reon chip AND the ability to play HD-DVDs if needed.

Larry

With the 5000, the firmware update would be specific to the Broadcom Dual Format chip that is used in the 5000, so new firmware for that chip would not apply to any of their other products. Therefore, I don't think they would want to waste their engineering resources on firmware that only applies to this product.
post #4702 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The Broadcom SOC can be BluRay, HD-DVD or both so it is their best interest to have a stable platform. Samsung could choose to use the platform on a new top of the line BluRay player
post #4703 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttedesc View Post

I have had the 5000 since the end of December and kick myself every day for not returning it within the 30 days. Not because of the Blu-ray apparent victory or the advanced audio codecs (still firmware hope), but because of a lock-up issue. I had hoped the lock-up issue was firmware related, but now have my doubts.

On almost every movie (BD, HD, SD), the player locks-up about 1/2 hour (it varies) in to the movie. I have to turn off the player and then turn it back on. I then skip to the spot where the movie stopped and it will play all the way through. Almost every movie locks up once.

I should have returned this player immediately instead of hoping for a firmware fix.

I haven't had this problem (knock on wood), but I did purchase the 3 year extended warranty (from Circuit City) a few weeks after I bought the player, just in case. I don't know where you bought yours, but you might want to see if you can still purchase one?

The warranty would cover your problem and if they can't fix it, they'll replace it. If a problem happens after the 5K is off the shelves, they'll replace it with a comparable player of equal or higher value.

For me, getting the extended warranty was the best solution, as I really wanted to keep this player; and I have faith in the upcoming FW updates. I have quite a few HD-DVDs, that I either got for free, or for cheap. But the reality is the format that is REALLY WINNING the format war in my home is SD- I have about 500 SD of them, so having a player that does the best job of upconverting them is a must!
post #4704 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have Comcast, but I had a similar issue. Admittedly I don't recall if it was w/ my 5K or with my A3? I eventually got it to connect via trial and error. The solution has to do with the order of connecting/disconnecting, as DTCGUY has stated.
post #4705 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 AM

I purchased a 5k manufactured in Jan 08 and have updated with V1.

I am not experiencing any problem with discs not playing or any other problem so far. Though I have only played The Assassination of Jesse James, Live Free or Die Hard, Kingdom of Heaven, Layer Cake and Apocalypto.

I am connected directly from the player to Sony VLP-VW50 projector 1080p/24 via BetterCables HDMI 1.3 cat.2. My processor Krell HTS 7.1 is not equipped with HDMI, so I am running S/PDIF coaxial digital and 5.0 analog. My main speakers have enough base with 3 - 12" Subwoofer cones, so I am not using separate subwoofer. In speaker set up I have the main L+R: full sub: off center: small surround L+R: full surround back L+R: off.

The only problem I am experiencing is when I played Apocalypto 5.1 uncompressed and Layer Cake PCM 5.1, and set the 5K to output via PCM I experience static and audio drop out when there are large explosions, tree falling etc. seem to be when the sub would come into play. When I switch to coaxial digital bitstream re-encode or audiophile everything play normally with no issues.

Anyone else experience this?
post #4706 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBEBECK View Post

I haven't had this problem (knock on wood), but I did purchase the 3 year extended warranty (from Circuit City) a few weeks after I bought the player, just in case. I don't know where you bought yours, but you might want to see if you can still purchase one?

The warranty would cover your problem and if they can't fix it, they'll replace it. If a problem happens after the 5K is off the shelves, they'll replace it with a comparable player of equal or higher value.

For me, getting the extended warranty was the best solution, as I really wanted to keep this player; and I have faith in the upcoming FW updates. I have quite a few HD-DVDs, that I either got for free, or for cheap. But the reality is the format that is REALLY WINNING the format war in my home is SD- I have about 500 SD of them, so having a player that does the best job of upconverting them is a must!

You might want to verify what your extended warranty covers. I don't think it covers future firmware updates. While the player doesn't play all that Samsung marketing said it would, at this point it is not considered "defective" nor "broken."
post #4707 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post

You might want to verify what your extended warranty covers. I don't think it covers future firmware updates. While the player doesn't play all that Samsung marketing said it would, at this point it is not considered "defective" nor "broken."

is there "under delivered" insurance?
post #4708 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

from Parky above: "...The one thing keeping me from returning it is the Reon chip. My DVD's look better with this player than my twice as expense Rotel DVD...."

I agree. If you never even put a HD DVD in the player you still have BR and in my opinion "I have not seen a better SD DVD upscaling/upconverting picture/image from any other player/receiver/display device to date." If some you have seen better we need a list to help out those who are on the fense. I think the cost of anything better will quickly make most decide the 5K is a good deal.
Also, we need list of HD DVDs that are not on BR or that are rated better on HD DVD than BR. Anyone know where such list might be? I would like to start collecting the HD DVDs that are not on BR or that are better than the BR due to sound consideratins or whatever before they are all gone.

To see which titles are exclusive to HD-DVD currently go to:

http://www.hddvdstats.com/

then click on the "Exclusivity" tab and select exclusive. It will list all the exclusive HD-DVD titles. This is from Formatwarcentral.com.

My dedicated home theater with an ancient Egyptian theme: http://myweb.arvig.net/sly/
post #4709 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 PM

Does anyone have any idea as to when (or if) Samsung is going to release a second firmware update for the bd-up5000 enabling this unit to fully process
Dolby TruHD and DTS HD in full SURROUND thru the HDMI output. My rerciever will process these new formats through the HDMI ports.
post #4710 of 13588 Old 02-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 999
May 2008.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page