BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #451 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmustang View Post

Could you guys please post the BB SKU number so I can ask the local morons to check it in their computer? Since I used to work at BB, I know thats about the only thing they understand. Thanks.

It's been posted in the tracking thread a few times at least. Seach for "SKU"

Panasonic PT-AE7000; TBD Screen!; Sony glasses
Integra 80.3
Panasonic DMP-BDT220; Samsung BD-UP5000; Directv HR20-700, AppleTV gen 3
7x JBL PT800 2x Parasound HCA-1500A stereo -> Fronts, 4x HCA-1000A bridged -> 4x surrounds
2x JBL PS1400 SW by QSC MX1500A stereo
Dedicated room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

Last results for tonight : tried all 3 codecs, on both BR and HD DVD, and they all show the same problem.

SileasResearch, if you have Transformers, play chapter 3 and go to the aerial shots of the snow : it is clearly visible on the snow (absolutely unbearable to me).

Guys, I'm done testing for tonight, I'm going to put myself a movie on my XA2, I need a break from all that digital noise.

Ok - I have checked that chapter in Transformers. Looks like somebody is blowing pepper across the snow, right?

I get exactly the same thing from the Xbox360 Elite HDMI output at 1080p60. On the 5000, I think it is a bit more noticeable due to the other crawling grey patterns I see.

To me, this looks like compression artifacts interacting poorly with film grain and is not the other issue I've been seeing.

I'll wait to see your photos.

Integra 80.3
7x JBL PT800 2x Parasound HCA-1500A stereo -> Fronts, 4x HCA-1000A bridged -> 4x surrounds
Dedicated room
post #453 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the BB SKU# 8532082

On that note I went back to BB today to use my 12% off coupon, plus 5$ reward zone coupon and my total before tax was 698.99. No questions asked, just issued me a new receipt and that was it.
post #454 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM

Signing off for a bit - just rented two BD from Blockbuster of things I have not seen before. I'll post impressions later.

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
post #455 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

Would the OP care to update the 1st post in the thread with the test results that the few owners have performed. Particuarly the audio as it stands. Also, known glitches so far? I know it's early, but this thread is 18 pages and 98% of it is the same three questions regarding audio. There is a thread for the A35 that has a very extensive first post about the good and bad of the player, including glitches and problematic discs...

Would it be worth while to start another thread with this info, since this is the Owners Thread? I nominate Sileas to start it!

No - no new threads. Dude, give us a bit of time here. I am actually going sit and watch a movie now. I'll update my initial batch of questions with a FAQ soon, but not right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
post #456 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow but I suck at it, so hopefully it'll come out good enough for all of you to really see what I'm talking about. I'll actually use the snow scene in Transformers, as it is so obvious.

I'm starting to believe I actually have a defective unit. I seriously doubt anybody would dare selling something with such a poor picture.

FWIW, I just watched The Fifth Element on my Pioneer Elite PRO510 (CRT) and I didnt have any of the video problems you are having at all.

I was using component cables at 1080i.
post #457 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With similar hardware and both experiencing issues with both audio and video I'm wondering how the LG BH200 is able to justify a premium of $200.00 on top of the UP5000?

That being said, I must add that the guys over at ultimateavmag.com believed that the video output of the LG was as good as any stand-alone, be it Blu or HD-DVD.
post #458 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 PM

Is anybody considering switching over to the BH200, or are you satisfied that Sam will fix the concerns here with FW updates?
post #459 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 09:11 PM

ok... after digging through all 17 pages....

can someone list the video "problems" with the player?

note: I'm not interested in a opinions on the player, whether or not someone thinks the availibility of one audio codec over one type of cable makes the player a dud.... any of that carp...

what is the deal with the video?
post #460 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Last results for tonight : tried all 3 codecs, on both BR and HD DVD, and they all show the same problem.

SileasResearch, if you have Transformers, play chapter 3 and go to the aerial shots of the snow : it is clearly visible on the snow (absolutely unbearable to me).

Guys, I'm done testing for tonight, I'm going to put myself a movie on my XA2, I need a break from all that digital noise.

Can you give me a particular time stamp for chapter 3. I mean I think I see what your referring to but I think I see it on the entire shot, just seems more grainy than other shots. I also don't see anything out of the ordinary on the Samsung screen. My Samsung is connected to a Denon AVR-4308 by HDMI 1.3a cable which is going to a Sony KDS-60A3000 by the same type of cable.

Btw, I tried a burned BD-R of a BDMV test disc and it was rejected by the drive. I also tried the same BDMV test disc image that was burned to a DVD+R. I know the manual says they won't work but I figured I would give it a try since DVD+R's have obviously been working for me and they claim they won't work in the manual (although I suspect the booktype being -ROM is the only reason it is working).

After trying the two rejected discs I inserted Talladega Nights on Blu-ray watched a little bit then switched to Transformers on HD without any problem.
post #461 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM

I got mine today (Best Buy in Mountain View, CA). The PQ is very good so far (i've gone through "300"), although i don't have any other hd players to compare it to.

My receiver (circa 2004 Yamaha RX-V650) does not have HDMI, but does do DTS and DD at 96KHz over optical/coax. At first, "300" only played the front 2 channels over the optical/coax, but after changing the audio setting from "PCM", to "Bitstream (Re-ecode)", i'm getting 5.1 DTS over the optical connection.

I'll try to answer any questions that i can.
post #462 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 PM

I also just tried the Transformers disc in the XBox HD DVD and I think I see the same thing on the snow seen. Just seems overly grainy to me.
post #463 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

Can you check your S/W level from the setup menu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

So, the System Information Screen says:

S/W:071108.02_1114_0924.11_XAA
Region: A/1 (BD/DVD)

This is identical to what my System Information Screen says.
post #464 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Sort of on topic as I have the 5000 on order from 2 places right now. Given all the information in this thread and the fact that I have an HDMI 1.3 pre/pro(integra 9.8) and a Toshiba A2 which can send multichannel PCM to my pre/pro; Would I be better off just picking up a Panny BD30 and canceling my 5000 orders? Space isn't an issue for me.
post #465 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ93rx7 View Post

I picked up my 5000 at Best Buy in Salinas, CA yesterday. I was feeling pretty good, walk in asked if they had any in stock, the manager said they had one that just came in that day. I bought it with a 12 % discount coupon. I took it home and opened up the box and realized this unit was to be a floor model. It had a display sign in the box.

Hooked it up to my system, HDMI to my Sony XBR2, optical audio to my Onyko 803. Here is my very limited, non-technical review after watching one Blue Ray movie (Ratatouille), the first part of a HD DVD (Shooter) and the first part of a SD DVD (Bourne Ultimatium). Her goes:

The Good

1. Great Picture. Really takes advantage of the full 1080P of my XBR2
2. Great Audio. Much better then my Pioneer Ellite 47.
3. Great Upconversion. Bourne Ultimatium look great not HD but better then my Pioneer Ellite 47

Issues :

1. While watching the Blue Ray Disk (Ratatoulle) I noticed the camera angle icon consistentantly appearing for no apparent reason. When the icon appeared, there was a small clitch in the audio for a very brief moment. The icon would remain on screen from 30 seconds to over a minute. This would happen 10 or more times during the movie. I thought because I did not follow the instructions for setup, but rather hooked up the player and put in the disk, that was the cause of the problem. I went through the setup and setup the audio and all other settings as instructed. I replayed the disk again and the camera angle icon appeared again. I did not watch the entire movie again.

2. When starting a movie (Blue Ray Ratatoulle) during the downloading mode, the download graphic in the middle of the screen was clear but on each side oof the graphic there were some very wierd colors with pulsating bands. I should point out this only happen once. I had to re-sart the movie again to correct the problem.

3. While watching the Blue Ray disk, the remote control and the controls on the player consistently locked up and became inoperable. This usually happens when you attempt to stop the movie and try to re-start. One this happens you cannot stop the movie or use any of the controls on the remote except the power button. The only way to stop the movie is to power down the player. The instructions states that when this happens, remove the batteries from the remote and hold down on one or two buttons for 1-2 minutes to discharge the micro-processors in the remote. It seems to work.

I should note. that these problems don't seem to happen when watching a HD DVD. Although, I have only watched 2-5 minutes of the HD DVD, the remote seemed to work fine and the camera angle icon did not appear. I was not able to stop the player and resume where I left off. I don't know if this was because of the particular scene of the movie or the disk, as the instruction manual states, or if this is a problem with the player or the remote.

I will be watching the entire HD DVD (Shooter) tonight and be watching very closely for any of the issues I noticed while watching the Blue Ray Disk (Ratatoule).

I really think these issues can be corrected with a software up date. I will be calling Samsung tomorrow and talk to their technical service people and see what they have to say.

I have a question for everyone out there. If these problems are resolved, and I decide to keep the 5000, would you purchase the 4-year extended warranty from Best Buy for $79.00? I think I would to prevent future problems and also the possiblity of 2-3 years from now exchanging the player for the replacement model if the unit cannot be repaired.

I was so excited yesterday to score one of these players and I am still optimistic that the issues can be resolved.

I will post an update after I have had chance ot use the player more.

I am sorry for the non-technical review, but this is my first take after using the Samsung BD-UP5000 for a little less then 24 hours.

Jon

I have just finished watching Shooter in HD DVD and it was perfect. Great picture. Excellent audio (DTS). No glitches what so ever. The remote work perfect, never locked up like before. I feel a lot better about this unit. I will have to watch another Blue Ray disk to see if the same issues reoccurr that I experience while watching Ratatoule in Blue Ray. Maybe it was just a bad dvd. I don't know. I am still on the fence wither I am going to keep it or not. I would like to keep it and just enjoy it but it needs to operate properly. I will post again. How about the extended warranty? should I get it if the issues are resolved and the player works properly?

Jon
post #466 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ93rx7 View Post

How about the extended warranty? should I get it if the issues are resolved and the player works properly?

Jon

I don't really think these are warranty issues. It's not malfunctioning, it's just not ready for PRIMETIME.
post #467 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1005 View Post

Could someone please post some more pictures of the unit itself and some shots of it on your tvs?

Here are a few shots while watching Pirates 3 BD. I apologize in advance for the photos. They are not that great, and I didn't really move anything before I took them.
LL
LL
post #468 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 11:38 PM

For those with this player, does anyone else have it connect to a Denon AVR-3808 or AVR-4308? Can you get your receiver to actually display "DOLBY DIGITAL +" for a track of that type?
post #469 of 13887 Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 PM

got my 5000 today. i have a little time to play with it, since it's 1 am, but i can confirm what others have already said. no dolby true hd lights on my Onkyo 605. Not a big deal for the moment, as i know it will be fixed with a firmware update. I think, it is more important to have the hardware for it. Btw, I don't know why people complain so much. This is a great player. forsed 24fps. great upscaling for sd dvd. Picture quality of the hd dvd equal to that of my xa2 /which i returned, for having some problems with it in dark scenes. strobing effects and so.. /. Just put, 300 in and it looks awesome. blu-ray movies /i have about 15/ so far, very good, no issues with potc or any other disc. someone said something about his remote control freezing. that's the only problem i had. i turned off the Anynet function and that fixed the problem. I have a samsung hl-t6189s and if there is something wrong with that, i would miss the feature. will find out more tomorrow. a small icon pops in the begining of "ratatouiille" as if there's an option for another angle of the camera, but there isn't. I have no idea what's up with that...I don;t care much about that, but loading times for hd dvd is faster, then blu-ray. 10 sec, maybe. I also have a ps3, which is an awesome machine and I'll keep it anyway. Picture quality on the samsung and ps3, i find to be the same...well, to be honest i think the samsung's picture is a bit sharper, or is it just my imagination and positive thinking i don't know..will compare again and if i see a difference will post some images. can't think of anything else, gotta go watch some movies The "bitstream audiophile" is to turn off some extra sound like the clicks when you browse through the menus. My advise is, go find a store that still has one and see for yourself...and don't listen to the dumb BB employees, they DO have one in stock, no matter what they say over the phone, go there and make them find it...
post #470 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-g-m View Post

and don't listen to the dumb BB employees, they DO have one in stock, no matter what they say over the phone, go there and make them find it...

I'm doubtful all markets got served...if someone in Dallas can prove otherwise, for instance, feel free. I asked on a whim at a local BB and got the canned "it's coming" response. Since I already have one en route from BBFB, I didn't waste any more time probing.
post #471 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmich View Post

Here are a few shots while watching Pirates 3 BD. I apologize in advance for the photos. They are not that great, and I didn't really move anything before I took them.

Hehehehehehe... I totally love the old red LED alarm clock sitting there. Nice. I bet every component in is through-hole and hand soldered.

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
post #472 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmich View Post

This is identical to what my System Information Screen says.

That is good, at least. Can you post a small pic of your pirates 3 menu at 24p? Thanks.

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
post #473 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi View Post

Can you give me a particular time stamp for chapter 3. I mean I think I see what your referring to but I think I see it on the entire shot, just seems more grainy than other shots. I also don't see anything out of the ordinary on the Samsung screen.

It's the snow stuff. Sam holds up the map in class, then the camera zooms in and then we get the flashback in the arctic circle.

I just finished watching Underworld Evolution on BD. There is a snow scene at the beginning of that, and I saw similar stuff, but it was interesting that a slow motion shot (maybe 50% speed) resulted in the black pepper I saw on Transformers and Underworld Evolution to slow down. Also, certain pure CGI shots looked quite different as well. I need to compare to a pure CGI film.

I think we are definitely seeing an issue with artifacts mixing poorly with film grain. I hate to say it, but I wonder if the reason people have not seen this before is due to other players softening this out.

Nevertheless, I am absolutely positive there is some sort of dithering going on, because when I look at the output from the 360 on the pixel phase image from DVE, it looks like I painted the grid on my screen. Totally rock solid and unchanging, like wallpaper - almost disturbingly so. But with the 5000, there is a constant motion to it, and a fluttering of the whole greyscale that has a gaussian feel to it. It is always there, even on the Samsung logo screen.

I think I will rent another copy of one of my discs, stick the 5000 on 60p and A-B with the 360. When I do that, I'll try to get some highspeed video of it and I will post a tiny uncompressed square of it somewhere.

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
post #474 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 AM

I had to stop the film for a bit to take care of some other unexpected business (work e-mails on the HTPC). I just hit pause, and had to switch to another HDMI source. Awhile later (maybe 30 mins or more?) I switched back to see that the player had gone into a standby mode. I had to turn it back on, and it got playing again in less time than a normal boot.

Anyway, I really wish this were defeatable (it does not appear to be). I'll have to remember to step a frame when doing some image calibrations, etc. every once in awhile.

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
post #475 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 AM

I'm plenty happy right now. It works pretty well. I listened to the LPCM 5.1 tracks, and found myself running at a much lower volume than normal since the audio (especially dialogue) was much cleaner than usual. Anyway, overall I have good impressions.

However, one time I was using the stepping feature during the film, I got the motorboating issue when I restarted playback, but this time it was with LPCM, not Dolby Digital Plus. This tells me the issue is down in the DMA code for the audio interface in the DSP. There's a circular buffer pointer problem that pops up when starting sometimes. From past experience, it is just a few lines of code to fix and add, but a carefully placed few lines so as to not make matters worse. Like an idiot, I hit stop instead of pause (not my intention) and then play. That cleared it. I wanted to see if pause or stepping would fix it. Next time.

If you've seen Underworld Evolution, I'll give you three guesses where I dove for the remote and hit pause and slow-mo. Whoa.

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
post #476 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Concerning Analog Audio out ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by from Sound and Vision Magazine View Post

A Speaker Setup submenu for the analog output lets you choose small or large options for front, center, surround, and surround back speakers, as well as switch the LFE output on or off, but there's no option for speaker distance/delay.....

Please, could some owner confirm or not the pre-released item limit in analog audio setup of fase time ?? ( speaker distance and delay ) ??

It's really important for me, in order to have a good multichannel analog setup ... otherwise it's unusable ...
post #477 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 AM

Alright, I've got a question for you guys. Go into the speaker set up on the 5000 and hit test tone. I have mine set up for 7.1. The tones are only going to the front l, front r and center channel for all 7 speakers. That really blew my mind. I tried it with all three decoding methods and got the same thing. I then tried running the tones from the Denoon 3808 menu and it was the way it was supposed to be.

I am using an HDMI cable from the 5000 to the Denon. When I play Pirates (BD) the Denon is decoding as DTS surround in the audiophile modes, and multichannel in in the PCM mode.

"With Tivo, it's like having this guy in your house watching TV for you!" -David Letterman
post #478 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 282
talkdj

Aren't the speaker test tones in the player only for analog output? If its output through HDMI, levels would be set in the preamp/receiver. Not sure, so someone confirm or correct.

Tools: Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, eecolor colorbox.
Displays: Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Pioneer 51, Tivo Roamio and Mini, Dish VIP722.
Audio: Marantz AV8801, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP
post #479 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 02:11 AM

Don't bother with the speaker setup over digital. Square peg / round hole. That is only for the analog outs. It does the same for me over SPDIF.

And to the Highlander...

Yeah, speaker setup blows. See my FAQ on the first page. But, I just watched a movie with this, and no adjustments at all (pure analog path through the mulitchannel ins on my Rotel RSP-1068 processors). Not bad for now.

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
post #480 of 13887 Old 12-17-2007, 02:13 AM

Not pretty, not complete, but started at least.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post12492121

Anyone know how I can get it moved to the top? Is that even possible?

Integra 80.3
Dedicated room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page