BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #721 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsc23 View Post

i have the xbr3, so im hoping i can prgram that video input to disable speakers...im pretty sure the video settings are set according to input so hopefully it works...

Are you talking about on the TV or on the UP5000? On the XBR4, under "options", there's "Speakers" setting, which has "TV" or "Audio system". The latter will disable the TV speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Tango View Post

Are you talking about on the TV or on the UP5000? On the XBR4, under "options", there's "Speakers" setting, which has "TV" or "Audio system". The latter will disable the TV speakers.

i originally thought it could be done on the player....but since it cant be Ill do it through the tv
post #723 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

The LCD read out does say "OPEN" when hitting the OPEN/CLOSE button...even if it closing. That's about all I've found outside of the already known audio issues.

I'm going to retract this statement as possibly "spontaneous hallucinations" since I haven't been able to reproduce it when questioned on it. It DOES indeed say 'Close' when closing. And no, there were no illicit substances involved.
post #724 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

is there any advantage to turning speakers off -vs- simply muting the TV?

i suppose if someone was never going to use the TV speakers and always use audio out of an AVR this would be the best option. but if you just want no sound from the TV while using an AVR and wish to use the TV speakers for news or something, isn't it simpler to just push mute on the TV?

or did i miss a part of this discussion somewhere?

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #725 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Again, my wife and I use an RS1+ 120" diagonal High Power + 8 foot viewing distance. We've never owned a single hi-def disk or hi-def disk player. (I'm also strongly considering a dual-format HTPC.)

I've been following the 5000 tracking thread for months and I've read all of this thread's posts from Post 1, Day 1. I appreciate very much all of the information from all of the owners of the 5000 who have taken the trouble to post.

We need only good-quality DD 5.1 optical audio in our HT, so it seems that the 5000 can fulfill that need.

The reported video issues are what make me hesitant to buy a 5000.

I realize that the easiest and best way to determine if any player is the right choice is to buy it and then return it if its performance is not adequate, but at the present time the 5000 is not available in Canada, and it may be literally months before it is, if ever. So if we want to test one, we'd have to import it from the States and it would be quite a hassle if we had to return it.

Therefore, I'd like to explore the video issue a bit more by making a few observations about this thread.

- Other than eurotrance's experience, it is not clear whether the video issues are caused by the disk or the player. (That is, does the player accurately - perhaps too accurately - display what is on the disk, or doesn't it?)

- If I correctly understand what Sileas has reported, for a particular disk, the 5000's image is more or less equivalent to that of the 360.

- At least one XA2 owner has said that the 5000's image is more or less equivalent to that from the XA2.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above. If I'm not, the HD-DVD video side of the 5000 seems like a pretty good bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

............................................................ ..
Lastly, viewing of non-film sources (Pixar, Apocalypto) would help understand the film grain aspect of this.

Quote:

I think the unfortunate thing here is that we are seeing a bad interaction of film grain and artifacts, and that the grain is pushing the compression algorithms very hard. If the grain were smaller or the compression high resolution, then the two would not being getting into this unfortunate synergy. The test will be Apocalypto, which was shot with 24p digital cameras, and I will try to pick it up today.

With this format (HD or BD), coupled with big and unforgiving fixed pixel display devices, a lot of people are getting to see all the warts and flaws in the process, and that does not match expectations, and is discouraging to some. ..........................

I completely agree that relativity is really the most important thing when discussing this video issue.

Recently, a friend of ours brought over his son's PS3 and we watched Apocalypto BD. As far as I'm concerned, this video image was the best I've ever witnessed, so I'd love to read a comparison of Apocalypto on the 5000 and the PS3 under a similar viewing set-up (well under 1x screen diagonal viewing distance).

In closing, if the 5000's BD image is essentially equivalent to the PS3's, and the 5000's HD-DVD image is more or less equivalent to whatever HD-DVD player is held in the highest regard, we'll likely get a 5000 from the States for a try-out.

Thanks again to the owners who have taken the trouble to post about their experience with the 5000, and in particular to Slieas who has really taken the bit in his teeth on this one.
post #726 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 01:16 PM

After I read the 5000 tracking thread and saw that people were getting it at their local BB, I called up my nearest BB and they only had 1 in stock, and I went to got it. Yup, just that easy and lucky! Used a 10% coupon off of $799. Got another HDMI Cable, but didn't get any free BlueRay or HDDVD movies though?

Haven't hooked it up yet, but very excited!
post #727 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post

I wanted to explain the DTS Re-Encode some are seeing. This was best explained in regards to the 360 which cannot support the output of lossless bitstreams. Players take the chosen sound format (LPCM, TrueHD, DTS-HD) and re-encodes it to 1.5 Mbps DTS. This is becuase it is the highest bit rate and quality that is supported 5.1 over Optical/Coax/Pre-1.3 HDMI. Any AVR that can decode DTS should be able to handle 1.5 Mbps. This was the best solution Microsoft could come up with for 360 and it appears that same solution is being used with the 5000.

My theory on the 7.1 with only 5.1 soundtrack is that the 5000 is incorrectly flagging the PCM. Has anyone tried disabling the rear surrounds in speaker setup to see if it controls 5.1/7.1 output?

Thanks for the reply!
So you are saying that it's possible the 5K actually IS REENCODING a Dolby signal and turning it into a DTS signal? Thant's pretty cool. I have a preference for DTS anyway!
Do any techies here have the time to simply break down the difference between PCM and bitsream? I thought I had a grasp on it, but the stuff I encountered last night and related in my post #677 really had me scratching my head!
Best,
snowtrooper1966@

BTW, I have played "Meet the Robinson's" (my 2 year old's favorite BluRay, along with Cars) and the "motorboating" appears at the same locations it did last night. Again, cleared with a "pause cycle". He has watched the film two times today, and it is in the same place all three times. Perhaps a BluRay profile update will fix issues, if that is even possible with firmware update...

I have a Sith sense...I see Darth people..."
post #728 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

is there any advantage to turning speakers off -vs- simply muting the TV?

The only advantage would be if the TV puts something on the screen that says "Muting" or some other indicator.
post #729 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it possible that the dot issue is because of some HQV settings(sharpening, any of the noise reducers?)?
I remember Samsung used to turn up the Faroudja TrueLife on their some players, and that made them look pretty crappy. Maybe they┬┤ve done something like that this time?

Birgir "keyser"
post #730 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post

So you are saying that it's possible the 5K actually IS REENCODING a Dolby signal and turning it into a DTS signal?

Yes for all formats (those that it can decode at the moment) other than DD and DTS the player will re-encode to the higest bit rate DTS. This does (or will) include DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA. I think it will also do this with PCM 5.1 but I am not 100% sure. This is only the case if you select re-encode or you are using the optical / coax outputs. Once it is properly enabled using bitstream with HDMI 1.3 it will pass the unaltered sound to AVR.

Quote:

Do any techies here have the time to simply break down the difference between PCM and bitsream?

PCM on Blu-Ray is often refered to as Lossless PCM or LPCM (however LPCM is really linear PCM, all different names for same thing). It is an exact copy either in 16 or 24-bit with 48-192 Khz sampling of the original mix created by the studio (bit width and sampling rate determined by source). There is no loss of information or compression. This is similar to a .WAV file ripped from a CD, an exact copy. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA take that LPCM and apply a Lossless compression to it. This is like a .ZIP of a .WAV, once uncompressed it is identical to the original (at least that is the theory and I think both Dolby and DTS claim it to be true.)

The other newer bitstream formats Dolby Digital + and DTS-HD (HR) are for the most part the same as the original DD and DTS only with higher bit rate. The difference between DD and DD+ is like the difference between a 128 rate MP3 and a 256 rate MP3(gross simplification). Both are lossy compressed but one takes up more space and throws away less stuff.

DD, DD+, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD (HR) and DTS-HD MA are bitstream encoded formats, meaning they need to be decoded. LPCM does not need to be decoded it simply is converted by either the player or your AVR via DAC to be sent to speakers. Any receiver sold in the last 7-8 years with an optical or coax in can probably handle DD and DTS, optical/coax can also do PCM but only 2 channel due the limitations of the signal the cables carry. The only recievers that can handle the 4 newer formats are ones that include HDMI 1.3 as that is the only transport available currently for those formats.

The last wrinkle comes in with PiP content on both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. When you do PiP the player usually takes the two streams from the main movie and the PiP mixes them and outputs as LPCM over HDMI or DTS over optical/coax. In theory if the 5000 currently properly decoded TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and sent them out via HDMI as LPCM you shouldn't be able to hear a difference. Currently however it only sends out 2(.1) channels and not 5.1-6.1 as it should. PiP is also why originally HD-DVD didn't support TrueHD bitstream out since it always mixed and sent as PCM. It is only recently that HD-DVD players enabled bitstream output of TrueHD by essentially disabling secondary audio.

Hope this helps and sorry for going a bit OT, but I think it may help some confusion in this thread.
post #731 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Greetings!
I will reiterate that I am very happy with the picture coming out of the 5K. My past experience with the XA2 on my Avical calibrated Samsung 61" DLP has shown me that even though a film may be mastered in HD, there still is a big gap in PQ. My HD DVD copy of the John Wayne film The Searcers" looks better than some of the newest releases. I think the statement made by SileasResearch was right on the money! We are simply getting to see all the warts in the source material. If you are complaining about bad PQ out of the 5K, I suggest watching a digital generated image from Cars or Meet the Robinsons. I bet you will not see the same sort of video noise that is bothering you on other HD media films. Even my image is not perfect. Besides having to deal with the variations of film stock and mastering tech, I have a DLP which produces a SSE effect. Basically I see what others may call video noise, but it is actually the screen material of the TV. Every setup has it's own variables that may affect perceived PQ.
That said, I am very happy with the PQ sent to my TV via the 5K!
Best,
snowtrooper1966

post #732 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply!
So you are saying that it's possible the 5K actually IS REENCODING a Dolby signal and turning it into a DTS signal? Thant's pretty cool. I have a preference for DTS anyway!

Ooooof. That is a bad understanding. Let me give you an analogy.

Have you ever faxed a fax? I mean, faxed a piece of paper that was faxed to you? If you keep doing it, it gets worse and worse until it is unreadable.

Think of each compression format as a piece of glass. You are on one side of the glass, and the pretty picture (imagine audio as the musical score or the waveforms if you must) is on the other.

Everything between you and the picture is a sheet of glass. Some are cleaner that others. If, for example, I take a 128Kbit mp3 of a high quality 192KHz / 24 bit recording, the dirty glass of the 128Kbit compression is the overriding factor. If I then decompress the mp3 and then reencode it with AAC because I like AAC better, all I have done is place the AAC piece of glass between me and the picture. The mp3 glass is still there.

In your case above, the original Dolby Digital encoding is a piece of glass. The DTS re-encode is a piece of glass. Instead of just one of them between you and the original audio, now there are two. Disregard any thoughts about which one is better, but instead remember that they are both lossy and both different. The interaction between the two will cause greater issues than either one alone. To go back to the glass analogy, what happens when you look through polarized sunglasses through another set of polarized sunglasses (or at a device using polarized plastic for anti-reflectivity)? The image degrades massively, even disappearing completely.

The best thing would be not re-encode at all. But saying that DTS re-encoding of the original Dolby Digital somehow makes it into a DTS quality signal (speaking of the benefits, not the drawbacks) is wrong. You will get the union of the worst aspects (the dirty glass) of both formats.

Quote:

Do any techies here have the time to simply break down the difference between PCM and bitsream? I thought I had a grasp on it, but the stuff I encountered last night and related in my post #677 really had me scratching my head!

PCM is good old fashioned two channel digital audio, running according to a standard (S/PDIF and associated professional stuff) that has been around awhile. Along the way, control flags were enabled in the bits of data that were in the S/PDIF format which told the receiving end not to treat the incoming data as good old uncompressed digital audio, with a preset pattern of bits coming in that corresponded to left channel, then right channel, then left, then right, etc. These flags instead told the receiver that the sender (who set the flags) was sending something else entirely, and that what is being received is simply a stream of data bits that need to be handed off to some other system to decode.

Setting PCM on the player forces the player to take all of its audio and downmix it into good old two channel digital audio, and output it that way. Bitstream (audiophile) means take the audio bitstream from the source material and shovel it out that way. Bitstream (reencode), see above.

Panasonic PT-AE7000; TBD Screen!; Sony glasses
Integra 80.3
Panasonic DMP-BDT220; Samsung BD-UP5000; Directv HR20-700, AppleTV gen 3
7x JBL PT800 2x Parasound HCA-1500A stereo -> Fronts, 4x HCA-1000A bridged -> 4x surrounds
2x JBL PS1400 SW by QSC MX1500A stereo
Dedicated room
post #733 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:

The only recievers that can handle the 4 newer formats are ones that include HDMI 1.3 as that is the only transport available currently for those formats.

To be clear, the bitstreaming of TrueHD/DTS-HD MA is the only audio feature dependent on HDMI 1.3. If the player (or some other piece of hardware prior to the AVR) decodes the TrueHD/DTS-HD MA rather than just bitstreaming it (as the 5000 is supposed to do, eventually, hopefully), then HDMI 1.3 is not necessary as any HDMI spec should support uncompressed audio.
post #734 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I've found the following to be very helpful to me in terms of understanding PCM, bitstream, HDMI audio, etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

I definitely do not mean to launch yet another war on HDMI 1.3, so I'll just say that you can ignore the title of that thread and all the subsequent back-and-forth, and just scroll down a few pages into the first post there - go to where you see Bob P's explanation of the ins and outs of HDMI audio . It's an extremely good, factual explanation of all this stuff; it's a bit out of date (in terms of the capabilities of players/receivers that were available at the time it was posted) but I think it does a good job of explaining how all this audio stuff works.

Regards,
WIrving

Edit: Man, I must be slow on the draw...two or three replies just while I was putting mine together!
post #735 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Thanks all!
Now it's clear as glass..Great anology!
I do not mean to stray "off topic" but I feel understanding the nuances of the audio codecs IS a big part of owning the 5K and setting it up properly.
Best,
snowtrooper1966

post #736 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone in the Bakersfield CA. area, the Best Buy here has 1 in stock. The person I spoke to on the phone said that they initially received 8 of them. I'm not in a position to buy one now, but I thought if someone else in the area was interested...
post #737 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Ooooof. That is a bad understanding. Let me give you an analogy.

The best thing would be not re-encode at all. But saying that DTS re-encoding of the original Dolby Digital somehow makes it into a DTS quality signal (speaking of the benefits, not the drawbacks) is wrong. You will get the union of the worst aspects (the dirty glass) of both formats.

so then your options would be PCM or Bitstream audiophile...i seem to be only getting more confused the more i read...

wats the consensus best audio option for those using a non HDMI receiver versus an HDMI receiver (if it even makes a difference relative to PCM and bitstream)
post #738 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I've found another issue with the 5000 which might even be title specific. When loading the main movie of....ahem, High School Musical 2, the bottom 1/5th of the screen is completely filled left to right with a colorful horizontal mess of lines & static. The remaining 4/5 of the screen looked fine. It acually showed up twice. The load screen disappeared and showed up again and the same garbage was there.

Guys, the movie is for my daughters, I swear! I must admit though that I can likely sing many of the songs via constant osmosis.
post #739 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:

So, does this mean there's no way to use the menu to change the audio type? I was able to switch some stuff on the "Info" menu, but there are two different "English 5.1" audio types, and i'm not sure what the difference is.

The AUDIO button on the remote (near the bottom left) pops up a dialog that allows you to step through available audio tracks on the disc.

Sorry if this has already been answered. I've spent the last 20 hours playing with my unit. Picked it up yesterday from a Best Buy in Roseville, CA (near Sacramento).

Kevin Windrem
post #740 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomb View Post

Interesting. I wondered about hddvd in general. I've never owned or used an hddvd player so I wasn't sure if it was a standard feature to be able to stop a movie, then press play, and have it start at your last location where you pressed stop.

I understand the hddvd bookmarks, and I tried them on this player and they work great, so maybe the hddvd group decided that's what people should do if they want to come back to a previous stop point, rather than making it automatic. In my opinion, automatic is just more convenient and saves on storage space and clutter.

I confirm resume play works on SD DVD but not on HD DVD. Haven't tried Blu-Ray yet. There's a mention about this in the manual -- something about the content provider being able to disable resume play! Hadn't gotten to bookmarks yet. Nice to know there's a work around -- sort-of.

Kevin Windrem
post #741 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

When loading the main movie of....ahem, High School Musical 2, the bottom 1/5th of the screen is completely filled left to right with a colorful horizontal mess of lines & static.

Sounds like it might be an improvement over the actual movie!

Just ordered the Blu_Ray Blade Runner (out today) that should get here at the same time as my 5000 on Friday. Can't wait to see how it looks!

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #742 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray View Post

Are there any known movies that will not play on this unit?

My Sony BDP300 does not like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

There were some faulty Pirates of the Carribean: Curse Of The Black Pearl, and can be replaced by calling Disney.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post12514981

Not sure about the others.
post #743 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post

Again, my wife and I use an RS1+ 120" diagonal High Power + 8 foot viewing distance. We've never owned a single hi-def disk or hi-def disk player. (I'm also strongly considering a dual-format HTPC.)

I've been following the 5000 tracking thread for months and I've read all of this thread's posts from Post 1, Day 1. I appreciate very much all of the information from all of the owners of the 5000 who have taken the trouble to post.

We need only good-quality DD 5.1 optical audio in our HT, so it seems that the 5000 can fulfill that need.

The reported video issues are what make me hesitant to buy a 5000.

I realize that the easiest and best way to determine if any player is the right choice is to buy it and then return it if its performance is not adequate, but at the present time the 5000 is not available in Canada, and it may be literally months before it is, if ever. So if we want to test one, we'd have to import it from the States and it would be quite a hassle if we had to return it.

Therefore, I'd like to explore the video issue a bit more by making a few observations about this thread.

- Other than eurotrance's experience, it is not clear whether the video issues are caused by the disk or the player. (That is, does the player accurately - perhaps too accurately - display what is on the disk, or doesn't it?)

- If I correctly understand what Sileas has reported, for a particular disk, the 5000's image is more or less equivalent to that of the 360.

- At least one XA2 owner has said that the 5000's image is more or less equivalent to that from the XA2.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above. If I'm not, the HD-DVD video side of the 5000 seems like a pretty good bet.

I completely agree that relativity is really the most important thing when discussing this video issue.

Recently, a friend of ours brought over his son's PS3 and we watched Apocalypto BD. As far as I'm concerned, this video image was the best I've ever witnessed, so I'd love to read a comparison of Apocalypto on the 5000 and the PS3 under a similar viewing set-up (well under 1x screen diagonal viewing distance).

In closing, if the 5000's BD image is essentially equivalent to the PS3's, and the 5000's HD-DVD image is more or less equivalent to whatever HD-DVD player is held in the highest regard, we'll likely get a 5000 from the States for a try-out.

Thanks again to the owners who have taken the trouble to post about their experience with the 5000, and in particular to Slieas who has really taken the bit in his teeth on this one.

Can I come over and watch!! I'll bring a PS3 and XA2 for comparison. I sit 8ft from my 50" so 8ft from a 120" would be insane!!

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
post #744 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi View Post

Anyways, I had commented earlier in the thread that I had burned a Blu-ray test disc image to a BD-R and a DVD+R (it was only 1gb or so) and both were unable to be played. It appeared to auto eject the BD-R and the DVD+R put up an error dialog about it being an incompatible disc.

Those of you who can do this, can you please clarify the format compatibility and include/update these into the FAQ?

ie: we have the manual stating DVD+R cannot be played. We have hifi stating he cannot play them. But I have seen other posts saying both DVD+R and DVD+R DL can be played and FAQ is hinting they can be played:

From the FAQ:
Does it play DVD-R, DVR+R, and DVD+R DL?

Seems like it from our experience. The manual is pretty explicit on this stuff. Check there first
post #745 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

I've found another issue with the 5000 which might even be title specific. When loading the main movie of....ahem, High School Musical 2, the bottom 1/5th of the screen is completely filled left to right with a colorful horizontal mess of lines & static. The remaining 4/5 of the screen looked fine. It acually showed up twice. The load screen disappeared and showed up again and the same garbage was there.

Guys, the movie is for my daughters, I swear! I must admit though that I can likely sing many of the songs via constant osmosis.

Is that the BD version? If so you are a braver person than I. I once bought South Park the movie. I have now seen it at least 1000 times. Kids just can't seam to get enough of some movies. I really hope you have a PS3 or a second BD player to connect to a TV in her room.

BTW thanks to all you guys who are doing the leg work to find out what this player can and can't do. There's plenty of us who just read (try to avoid adding repeat questions if possible).
post #746 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 03:04 PM

I can confirm resume play works with Blu and standard def DVD. I does not work with my HD DVD's.
Again on the audio side, one poster commented that PCM was two channel, and another said PCM is how the advanced HD codecs are transmitted. A "bit" confusing.
Best,
snowtrooper1966

post #747 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post

To be clear, the bitstreaming of TrueHD/DTS-HD MA is the only audio feature dependent on HDMI 1.3. If the player (or some other piece of hardware prior to the AVR) decodes the TrueHD/DTS-HD MA rather than just bitstreaming it (as the 5000 is supposed to do, eventually, hopefully), then HDMI 1.3 is not necessary as any HDMI spec should support uncompressed audio.

I was including DD+ and the two flavors of DTS-HD in my count of 4, I haven't seen DD+ or DTS-HD (HR) on any non-HDMI 1.3 AVR. If you can get 5.1 PCM then yes HDMI 1.1 or higher should work as well.
post #748 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM

Anybody tried HD DVD PIP (like Warner IME or Universal U-Control)? Does it work properly and smoothly?
post #749 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Again on the audio side, one poster commented that PCM was two channel, and another said PCM is how the advanced HD codecs are transmitted. A "bit" confusing.
Best,
snowtrooper1966

Optical/coax can only handle two channel PCM(it was designed for CDs). Also right now (with firmware as of 12/18/2007) it appears that TrueHD is converted to two channel PCM even over HDMI. DTS-HD uses the compatible DTS stream which is embedded in the DTS-HD stream. TrueHD doesn't include a lower level stream, that is what DD+ is for.
post #750 of 13758 Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I wanted to explain the DTS Re-Encode some are seeing. This was best explained in regards to the 360 which cannot support the output of lossless bitstreams. Players take the chosen sound format (LPCM, TrueHD, DTS-HD) and re-encodes it to 1.5 Mbps DTS. This is becuase it is the highest bit rate and quality that is supported 5.1 over Optical/Coax/Pre-1.3 HDMI. Any AVR that can decode DTS should be able to handle 1.5 Mbps. This was the best solution Microsoft could come up with for 360 and it appears that same solution is being used with the 5000.

My theory on the 7.1 with only 5.1 soundtrack is that the 5000 is incorrectly flagging the PCM. Has anyone tried disabling the rear surrounds in speaker setup to see if it controls 5.1/7.1 output?

I only see 7.1 via HDMI on my receiver after changing modes in the 5000's setup menu. Once the movie is playing, the AV receiver reports 5.1 or 2.0 depending on what audio track it's playing. Haven't looked at a disc with a 7.1 DD or PCM track yet.

Speaker setup has no effect on this behavior or anything in the digital system. Looks like it's just for the analog outs.

Kevin Windrem
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page