BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 328 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #9811 of 13681 Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL View Post

You can also get by well with the Toshiba HD-A35. That actually was the last HD-DVD player Toshiba made. They dropped the HQV Reon, but it still upscales SDVDs well enough and it both decodes (Dolby TrueHD and Plus), has 7.1 analog out and bitstreams (audiophile mode) all the HD audio codecs. You can find it for half the price of the XA2. I have one and, personally, I wouldn't pay any extra for an XA2.

I don't know about that, I've owned 8 or so "next-gen" players, the XA2 was the BEST of either format. Built like a tank (not the plastic stuff of just about every other player), Reon, etc.

I'd pay more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 13681 Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

Might take you up on it ...

Ok. PM me if interested. Still got the box, etc.
post #9813 of 13681 Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

I don't know about that, I've owned 8 or so "next-gen" players, the XA2 was the BEST of either format. Built like a tank (not the plastic stuff of just about every other player), Reon, etc.

I'd pay more.

I agree. HD A35 isn't all that good. It failed many HQV tests. It's a mediocre player at best. XA2 is truely the king. But I won't pay $200+ for it at this day and age.
post #9814 of 13681 Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I agree. HD A35 isn't all that good. It failed many HQV tests. It's a mediocre player at best. XA2 is truely the king. But I won't pay $200+ for it at this day and age.

If you're looking for a back-up player to primarily play HD-DVDs, the HD-A35 should be almost indistinguishable from the XA2 in terms of video and audio output. If your looking for a player that is going to upscale SDVDs as well (or better) than the BD-UP5000, then yes, pay extra for the XA2.
post #9815 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 04:58 PM

I am considering buying some DL+R DVDs (all DL are +R) and wonder if anyone has tried to play a DL DVD on the 5000. I don't want to waste the money on a package if they won't play. Thanks in advance for any info.
post #9816 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Now that I think of it, as long as you set the book type to -R, they should play. But I would wait for some confirmation before taking my word on that.
post #9817 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texrb View Post

I am considering buying some DL+R DVDs (all DL are +R) and wonder if anyone has tried to play a DL DVD on the 5000. I don't want to waste the money on a package if they won't play. Thanks in advance for any info.

Make sure you get Verbatim DLs. They should play just fine. Avoid Memorex DL discs. They are garbage.
post #9818 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Vinnie & Shawnmos - thanks for the info & glad to hear they will play. Yes, I heard Memorex were bad. I was going to buy Fuji, but will go with Verbatim on your recommendation.
post #9819 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 PM

I currently have this player connected to a Denon 2803 AVR (an older, pre-HD codes model) via an optical connection. (No HDMI then either.) The speaker configuration is typical 5.1. Question: When I go into the audio setup for the Samsung, should it be able to put out test tones to the two surround speakers? (Because it doesn't--no matter how I have the bitstream/pcm set.)

Then I thought maybe that speaker screen is only for analog connections. So, I put in a standard DVD that I knew had a THX speaker test in it. I'll be darned if that didn't see the surround speakers either. The AVR itself does, though, because it can send test tones to them, no problem.

Have I been fooling myself, listening to stereo in this particular room the whole time? And if so, what am I doing wrong?

Any ideas would be appreciated!
post #9820 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Test tones only work correctly over analog 7.1 connection, not digital connection.

You will need to set digital audio out to either bitstream (audiophile) or Bistream(re-encode) mode in order for 5.1 sound to pass to your AVR. The default is PCM IIRC which will result in 2.0 only.
post #9821 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmos View Post

Make sure you get Verbatim DLs. They should play just fine. Avoid Memorex DL discs. They are garbage.

as I look at a stack of Memorex DL discs
post #9822 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Test tones only work correctly over analog 7.1 connection, not digital connection.

OK, gotcha. That clears that up nicely. Thanks. The manual seemed to suggest that, but I wasn't sure.

Quote:

You will need to set digital audio out to either bitstream (audiophile) or Bistream(re-encode) mode in order for 5.1 sound to pass to your AVR. The default is PCM IIRC which will result in 2.0 only.

I've been using it in the audiophile mode, but wasn't completely convinced that was right. Does that mean that if my receiver doesn't decode the newer codecs (which it doesn't) that it'll just use stereo in that case too, or not?

The thing that really through me, though, was the fact that the THX test on a SDVD (played on the UP5K) wasn't sending test tones to the surrounds either...so doesn't that mean it is sending stereo? Pretty sure I tested this with the UP5K set at both bitstream choices...

What makes it harder is that unlike my 2807 (in a different room) this AVR doesn't have visuals that show you how many channels are coming in and going out.

Thanks in advance!
post #9823 of 13681 Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Newer codec can not pass through optical anyway regardless your AVR's capability. Depending on what mode you use and what disc you're playing, you get different output from optical, most of time will be 5.1 DD or DTS. It will be tough to diagnose without your AVR show what it receives.
post #9824 of 13681 Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 AM

Okay,
I have two BD-UP5000 players.
Only one of them tends to freeze after 10-20 minutes of playing a Blu-ray or HD-DVD once I start it. The picture actually freezes on the screen and all controls but Power do nothing. Once it freezes, I have to power the unit off then back on in order to continue playing the movie.

Once I do this, it will NEVER freeze again...even if the rest of the movie is another 2 hours or I play a 2nd or 3rd movie afterward.

It always freezes after a short time of playing the first disc after powering on.

This was really bugging me (and the family!) so I decided to try and see if I could get to the root of the problem.

At first I didn't believe it was heat related due to it only freezing during the first 10-20 minutes and never after that. I figured that the more time elapses, the hotter the components will get, and the more likely lock-ups would reoccur.

Well today I took the cover off of the unit, powered it up, verified that the internal fan was working (it was) and started playing a Blu-ray with the cover off, and guess what, no freezes at all during the 3-hour movie!

Now I'm thinking that the issue may be heat related after all. There are two chips (processors) that get quite hot during operation in this player. One is covered with a black aluminum heatsink and the other is the ReonVX chip.

Since I don't want to leave the cover off permanently, I decided to look for another solution. I picked up two heatsink/fan combos to be installed on the chips i mentioned previously. They are only 1.5 inches square and 1 inch tall. Perfect size for this application. The fans use 12VDC which I can tap into off the power supply board in the unit.

When they come in, I'll install them and let you know if that permanently solves my problem.

I know that some of you out there have said you have the same issue with your player.

I've attached a picture of the Heatsink/fan below.

I hope this works!
LL
post #9825 of 13681 Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Let us know how it works out for you. I still doubt it is heat related. Mine will lock up mostly while still loading the menu. I have opened case up a few times but don't remember if it locks up or not during that time (maybe once). My theory is that there is something wrong with the power board that can't properly supply the power to the system board when first power on (maybe the big capacitors on the power board need to be charged first) as I did see a few owners got power board replaced by Samsung.
post #9826 of 13681 Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyscroll View Post

Okay,
I have two BD-UP5000 players.
Only one of them tends to freeze after 10-20 minutes of playing a Blu-ray or HD-DVD once I start it. The picture actually freezes on the screen and all controls but Power do nothing. Once it freezes, I have to power the unit off then back on in order to continue playing the movie.

Once I do this, it will NEVER freeze again...even if the rest of the movie is another 2 hours or I play a 2nd or 3rd movie afterward.

It always freezes after a short time of playing the first disc after powering on.

This was really bugging me (and the family!) so I decided to try and see if I could get to the root of the problem.

At first I didn't believe it was heat related due to it only freezing during the first 10-20 minutes and never after that. I figured that the more time elapses, the hotter the components will get, and the more likely lock-ups would reoccur.

Well today I took the cover off of the unit, powered it up, verified that the internal fan was working (it was) and started playing a Blu-ray with the cover off, and guess what, no freezes at all during the 3-hour movie!

Now I'm thinking that the issue may be heat related after all. There are two chips (processors) that get quite hot during operation in this player. One is covered with a black aluminum heatsink and the other is the ReonVX chip.

Since I don't want to leave the cover off permanently, I decided to look for another solution. I picked up two heatsink/fan combos off of eBay for the sum of $7.88 to be installed on chips i mentioned previously. They are only 2-1/4 inches square and 1-3/8 tall. Perfect size for this application. The fans use 12VDC which I can tap into off the power supply board in the unit.

When they come in, I'll install them and let you know if that permanently solves my problem.

I know that some of you out there have said you have the same issue with your player.

I've attached a picture of the Heatsink/fan below.

I hope this works!

While you wait for the ebay fans to arrive, maybe you can try putting the cover back on and using a standard home/desk fan and see if that makes a difference...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #9827 of 13681 Old 01-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Let us know how it works out for you. I still doubt it is heat related. Mine will lock up mostly while still loading the menu. I have opened case up a few times but don't remember if it locks up or not during that time (maybe once). My theory is that there is something wrong with the power board that can't properly supply the power to the system board when first power on (maybe the big capacitors on the power board need to be charged first) as I did see a few owners got power board replaced by Samsung.

Foxbat: Thanks for the info.

While I'm waiting for the heatsink/fans, I'll try swapping out the power board with my other player, button it back up, and see if the problem is resolved.

I doubt that it is related to big capacitors needing charged though....power supply capacitors charge very quickly...on the order of seconds. My issue seems to only manifest itself after many minutes.

For what it's worth,
I decided to go with a slightly smaller heatsink fan combo than I previously stated to insure clearance with all of the surrounding components.

emptychair:

I'd try closing it up and using a desktop fan but the trouble is...I don't have one.

Guess I'll have to wait until the coolers come in.

I'll keep you all posted on what I continue to find.
post #9828 of 13681 Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Newer codec can not pass through optical anyway regardless your AVR's capability. Depending on what mode you use and what disc you're playing, you get different output from optical, most of time will be 5.1 DD or DTS. It will be tough to diagnose without your AVR show what it receives.

Again, thanks for the help. So with a little experimenting today I figured out what my problem was...

Helps when you know how your receiver works. But, with two different Denon's that are similar in some ways, but radically different in other, I don't feel too bad...

It boiled down to there being this Surround Mode button on the AVR that has to be pressed until it was on the DTS/Dolby option. In all other modes (of which there are three or four) it is essentially working with 2-channel. The nice thing is if you get the thing set right for a particular input, the Denon will remember that for every other time you use it. Plus you can lock the setting down so nobody else (kids, animals,...or in this case I suspect house-sitter...) can munge the thing up. (Which, I've now done.) Anyway, with that on and Sammy set to DTS-reencode, I'm not getting surround no matter the initial encoding flavor. Very cool. The test tone disks I tried all work too...

Woohoo!
post #9829 of 13681 Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Never would have been able to get to the bottom of that with just my help, 360, glad our more versatile experts on the forum could help.
post #9830 of 13681 Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 AM

Really, all I needed was a nudge to get the receiver manual out. Took me a while to get there, though. The flowchart went like:

* Disks not playing in surround? Yes
* UP5K not set up correctly? No--setup is correct.
* Can AVR see rear speakers? Yes.
* Bug in player? (Try different player!) No bug--both players give same results. Still no surround.
* Some setting in AVR incorrect?

Ding, ding, ding!

Of course, in there was a machine swap, and multiple, multiple disk swaps and audio setting changes....

Let's face it, this is all too complicated.
post #9831 of 13681 Old 01-18-2009, 03:12 PM

Whew!
Been off line for about 5 months, and just finninshed reading the last 50 pages of threads I've missed. Up until then, as an early buyer ( December '07) I had not missed a single page. Looks like all I've missed is the v1.4 update, and am in no hurry to load that. Only recent disk I have had issues with was the well documented one with Hancock. I am learry of an update that is not available for direct download online. Glad to see there are still some of us "old timers" around and enjoying the player.....
Best,
James W Barron
snowtrooper1966

I have a Sith sense...I see Darth people..."
post #9832 of 13681 Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post

Whew!
Been off line for about 5 months, and just finninshed reading the last 50 pages of threads I've missed. Up until then, as an early buyer ( December '07) I had not missed a single page. Looks like all I've missed is the v1.4 update, and am in no hurry to load that. Only recent disk I have had issues with was the well documented one with Hancock. I am learry of an update that is not available for direct download online. Glad to see there are still some of us "old timers" around and enjoying the player.....
Best,
James W Barron
snowtrooper1966

Welcome back snowtrooper1966!

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #9833 of 13681 Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM

I've been here since the beginning also, but just haven't posted much. I've been debating whether or not to risk the 1.4 update as well. Any consensus on 1.4? Seems opinions are pretty well mixed from what I can tell.

Quote:

Only recent disk I have had issues with was the well documented one with Hancock

Hmm.. I think I missed that one. Then again I don't remember all of the individual disc issues. Interestingly enough I recently played Hancock and I don't remember any problems with it at all.

With You Don't Mess With the Zohan I had an issue (very minor) that at the end of the movie it wouldn't go back to the menu. Instead it just sat there until I pressed the menu button. But, once I did the menu popped up and everything was fine.
post #9834 of 13681 Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The issue related to Zohan and Hancock only shows up when you bitstream the TrueHD to HDMI 1.3 AVR. If you don't have an AVR capable of decoding TrueHD or you're not using Bitstream (Audiophile), you won't notice any problem.

I'm using 1.4 since it's released and don't see any problem at all and I watch roughly two BDs a week via Netflix.
post #9835 of 13681 Old 01-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Isn't there a list of 1.4 issues?
Is it current?
Thanks-
post #9836 of 13681 Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM

has anyone heard if that new firmware that came out for the other players, enabling dts hd ma over analogs, will come out for 5k? ;o)
post #9837 of 13681 Old 01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard it's when hell freezes over
post #9838 of 13681 Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
polyscroll.... are you using 1.4 or 1.3

Mine does the exact same thing but not all the time. Seems like the newer blurays it doesn't happen on but an old hddvd it will. I still have 1.3 on and didn't want to upgrade since that is my only issue.

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #9839 of 13681 Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I heard it's when hell freezes over

Well, the Arizona Cardinals are in the Superbowl...
post #9840 of 13681 Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

polyscroll.... are you using 1.4 or 1.3

Mine does the exact same thing but not all the time. Seems like the newer blurays it doesn't happen on but an old hddvd it will. I still have 1.3 on and didn't want to upgrade since that is my only issue.

I'm using 1.3 on both of my units.

I did try 1.4 but it didn't cure the freezing issue I have on the one player.
Version 1.4 did introduce some audio dropouts for me while playing my Eagles HD DVD, using the DTS-HD audio track on the disc.
I also didn't like the PAUSE delay with 1.4.
Because of the audio dropout issue, I switched back to 1.3 and now all is well again with the audio.

On a lighter note, I believe I have cured my freezing issue that has been plaguing me from day one on the troublesome player!

In my case, it was heat related and after adding a heatsink on the Reon-VX chip, and, a miniature "chipset fan" on the main processor, my freezing issue appears to be history.

I'll post more on my fix in a little while.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page