BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 365 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #10921 of 13743 Old 02-08-2010, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Doubt it means anything in particular...that's at least the second generation firmware update the 1200 has seen since the 5000 has last received one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 13743 Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishBloke View Post

I have firmware 1.4 and cannot play any of the discs from The Unit Season 4; does anyone out there have these discs playing on a BD-UP5000? If so, how?

Or do I need to send them back to Amazon and ask for a DVD swap???

Thanks,

Chris

I just tried disc 1 successfully on the aformentioned firmware (which is confirmed as 1.4, yes).

If it's the only set of discs giving you problems, I'd recommend a return/refund.
post #10923 of 13743 Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Doubt it means anything in particular...that's at least the second generation firmware update the 1200 has seen since the 5000 has last received one.

I'm sure you're right but at least we know the older machines are being looked at.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #10924 of 13743 Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:

I just tried disc 1 successfully on the aformentioned firmware (which is confirmed as 1.4, yes).

If it's the only set of discs giving you problems, I'd recommend a return/refund.

Thanks - after many resets and trying various discs found the 'cold start' procedure with a google last night - and it works.

I had some difficulty switching the DVD player back to 1080P afterwards (had to go 1080i - 720P - 1080P) but all five discs now work without issue.

Very strange.

Thanks for the sanity check!
post #10925 of 13743 Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishBloke View Post

Thanks - after many resets and trying various discs found the 'cold start' procedure with a google last night - and it works.

I had some difficulty switching the DVD player back to 1080P afterwards (had to go 1080i - 720P - 1080P) but all five discs now work without issue.

Very strange.

Thanks for the sanity check!

After all you've been through, I hope you don't mind my being lazy and asking:

What is the "cold start" procedure?
and

Is getting back to 1080p (1080i - 720P - 1080P) in one of the BD-UP5000's menus?

Thanks-
post #10926 of 13743 Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

After all you've been through, I hope you don't mind my being lazy and asking:

What is the "cold start" procedure?
and

Is getting back to 1080p (1080i - 720P - 1080P) in one of the BD-UP5000's menus?

Thanks-

Hold down the FF button on the player for about 5 seconds.
post #10927 of 13743 Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

Hold down the FF button on the player for about 5 seconds.

Changed the output from 1080i to 720p successfully.
Then changed the output from 720p to 1080p successfully.

When I tried to change the output directly from 1080i to 1080p, my sharp aquos complained about an unsupported format.

I think the tray needs to be empty while holding down the FF button on the player.
post #10928 of 13743 Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 AM

I'm having problems with by BD-5000U of late. I have 1.3 installed currently.

Some of most recent Blu discs don't seem to work. Loaded, "The Wrestler" and "Public Enemies" but stalled after that on a black screen. No previews, no menu screen. Just black. This also happened with "District 9". But after a few attempts, it finally played. I have basically given up playing any HD-DVD's on it. They take too long to load, and the audio seems compressed when compared to my Venture HD-DVD player. The same with DVD's.

I'm thinking of updating it to 1.4. I would be just happy at this point to have a proper playing Blu-Ray player. Not in the mood to go blow another $200 or so on another Blu player. I'll use my Venture HD-DVD for the other two formats.

Can somebody post a link to where I can get the 1.4 patch. Also, any news of a 1.5 patch?
post #10929 of 13743 Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburst View Post

I'm having problems with by BD-5000U of late. I have 1.3 installed currently.

Some of most recent Blu discs don't seem to work. Loaded, "The Wrestler" and "Public Enemies" but stalled after that on a black screen. No previews, no menu screen. Just black. This also happened with "District 9". But after a few attempts, it finally played. I have basically given up playing any HD-DVD's on it. They take too long to load, and the audio seems compressed when compared to my Venture HD-DVD player. The same with DVD's.

I'm thinking of updating it to 1.4. I would be just happy at this point to have a proper playing Blu-Ray player. Not in the mood to go blow another $200 or so on another Blu player. I'll use my Venture HD-DVD for the other two formats.

Can somebody post a link to where I can get the 1.4 patch. Also, any news of a 1.5 patch?

1.4 is still posted at the Sammy site. You can also do a google search for BD-UP5000 firmware and get the link to the support site.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/de...name=BD-UP5000

Your problems sound like recent similar reports with those BDs with 1.3. However sounds like your player gets further than most with 1.3 and those titles. I believe that others have been able to get District 9 to play no problem with 1.3, but I could be wrong.

Generally HDs load much quicker on my Sammy than BDs and I haven't detected any audio compression issues compared to my Tosh A35 and disc load about as fast there as well. Might be a Dynamic Compression setting or difference in how your Venture is handling sound. If you have it set for dynamic compression and the Sammy not you may be experiencing a difference in sound. Are you streaming audiophile through HDMI to your receiver and using the advanced codecs? Before I had a HDMI capable receiver DD THD always sounded thin when re-encoded to DTS compared to other audio tracks including DD5.1, but that was just a level difference and the dynamic range on DD THD is much better then DD5.1. Now with HDMI I don't detect a difference in audio level, just much better sound with DD THD. I haven't been able to detect a major difference with DTS-HD MA or LPCM direct as opposed to re-encoded, probably since at 1.5mbs DTS sounds pretty damn good, but I love to see all the pretty indicators light up on my receiver when using HD sound.

No news on a new update. Rumored, but doubtful unless we run into a large batch of new discs that don't play.
post #10930 of 13743 Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

My 5K is still going strong. Just purchased and watched True Romance last evening without difficulty and I even stuck in a couple HDs just to make sure the issue I ran into a couple weeks ago had not returned. How I have never seen that movie till now is beyond me. Also recently I watched Perfume: A Story of Murder. It's a German import and the movie played fine, but all the menus are in that foreign language I learned in the 10th grade so it took me a while to navigate the menu. It does have one problem on the Sammy. If you try to chapter select the preview screens don't work right and get stuck on the screen. Also the labels for subtitles and audio are messed up due to localization issues. That is the first HD movie that I have watched that the audio is in DTS-HD, though it is the HR variety and not MA, but sounded really good. Great movie, somewhat strange and very disturbing. Highly recommended and much cheeper on HD than the way overpriced BD version.
post #10931 of 13743 Old 02-18-2010, 12:08 PM

Ref. Post #10946

Thanks for the link. I'll install it this week-end.
While I was at the download site, I noticed that Samsung is offering the Open Code Source for this. I guess that about says it all concerning a 1.5 patch. Do it yourselves!

As for the compression sounding audio when playing DVD's and HD-DVD's on the BD-UP5000 in comparison to the Venture HD-DVD player...my connects are very simple. HDMI out into HDMI in on the TV for each machine. No big deal though. As long as I have the Venture player, I don't mind playing those discs on it. I just really don't want to go and spend more money on another Blu-Ray machine. I've only had the BD-UP5000 for about 18 months. So, I hope this 1.4 patch fixes some of the problems I've recently had with Blu discs.
post #10932 of 13743 Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 PM

just make sure dynamic compression is disabled in the audio settings (I can't remember the exact menu item but it's something along those lines). Also, the source code has been available well before 1.4 was ever released...no, that likely doesn't increase our chances for a 1.5.
post #10933 of 13743 Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 AM

I installed 1.4 last night. The two Blu discs in question loaded this time without any problems.

As for the dynamic compression function, yes, my set-up has it at "off"

Thanks to everybody who helped me on this problem.
post #10934 of 13743 Old 02-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:

...Also, the source code has been available well before 1.4 was ever released...no, that likely doesn't increase our chances for a 1.5.

Vinnie,
Just where is the Source Code? I see the link and have downloaded the *.pdf document file pertaining to the source code but have not found a link for the actual source code itself.

Am I missing something on Samsung's site?
post #10935 of 13743 Old 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyscroll View Post

Vinnie,
Just where is the Source Code? I see the link and have downloaded the *.pdf document file pertaining to the source code but have not found a link for the actual source code itself.

Am I missing something on Samsung's site?

The link in question is the Open Source Guide and is simply just a guide/listing to the Open Source code that is used with the unit. To my knowledge the source code or the firmware in a editable/compilable version has never been released and like would not be since it would contain code proprietary to Samsung including Blu-Ray code, amongst other things.
post #10936 of 13743 Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 AM

I never actually verified what that linked to, so I didn't realize it was just a guide. My mistake.
post #10937 of 13743 Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never actually verified what that linked to, so I didn't realize it was just a guide. My mistake.

Interestingly the open source guide was updated on Jan 14th. I was hoping that meant that a new firmware was on it's way and that new features were possible, but a quick look at the guide shows that the file posted now is not even the same file that was there several weeks ago. I don't think I captured what was there before, but I think it is the same as what is included with the player. The file there now has nothing to do with the 5K at all and appears to be a GNU license for web based software. I quick scan at it does not reveal anything that would live in the 5K or any BD/HD player for that matter.
post #10938 of 13743 Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM

I be more then happy if they did a firmware update to include Blu-ray 3D playback to go with the DLP tvs they released a few years back
post #10939 of 13743 Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomricci View Post

I be more then happy if they did a firmware update to include Blu-ray 3D playback to go with the DLP tvs they released a few years back

Not gonna happen!
post #10940 of 13743 Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomricci View Post

LOL! They aren't even releasing 2D upgrades for these things!
post #10941 of 13743 Old 03-13-2010, 08:02 AM

I updated the firmware to 1.4 a while back, and it really helped with some DVD-Rs I had recorded over from a dubbing VHS-DVD machine. They simply would not play on the BD-UP5000, freezing about 10 minutes into the disk. That freezing issue is gone with 1.4.

I continue to be slack-jawed at how good a 480i VHS tape dubbed onto a 480i DVD-R looks deinterlaced and upscaled to a 50-inch 1080p Sony SXRD set through the HQV logic. Of course, if the powers at be would publish DVDs of those old VHS titles, I would buy them tomorrow.

I just rented the DVD of "Up in the Air" this week, and will say modern, standard DVDs look better on the BD-UP5000 than older titles released on BD. The source material matters a lot more than the media.

The BD-UP5000 just rocks as a SD DVD player, except for the darn letterbox issue. Of course, if the powers at be would publish anamorphic DVDs of those old letterbox DVD titles, I would buy them tomorrow.

That said, my box will no longer play any HD-DVDs. And I am not sure when this happened. I thought it was after the firmware update, but I am certain it was later, because I would have tested various disks after the firmware update. Thank goodness for the HD-DVD/DVD flip disks. It will still play the DVD side of those.

I have read about the drive problems, so I assume that is what the problem is.

I guess I will move my HD-A2 downstairs and hook it up alongside the BD-UP5000. I like the HQV so much I am thinking of getting a refurb BD-P2500.

Update: Three clicks later the refurb BD-P2500 is on its way via Amazon's marketplace. About $180 with shipping. Looking forward to seeing how HQV handles streaming Netflix. I might never leave my house again.
post #10942 of 13743 Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You might find if you clean you laser(s) with a dry cleaning disc like from DiscWasher or another decent brand and or open it up and clean with lint free foam swabs and freon or pure alcohol you may revive your HD-DVD playback. Course it could be a bad drive/laser/loader and then you are toast. You might also try a factory reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh130 View Post

I updated the firmware to 1.4 a while back, and it really helped with some DVD-Rs I had recorded over from a dubbing VHS-DVD machine. They simply would not play on the BD-UP5000, freezing about 10 minutes into the disk. That freezing issue is gone with 1.4.

I continue to be slack-jawed at how good a 480i VHS tape dubbed onto a 480i DVD-R looks deinterlaced and upscaled to a 50-inch 1080p Sony SXRD set through the HQV logic. Of course, if the powers at be would publish DVDs of those old VHS titles, I would buy them tomorrow.

I just rented the DVD of "Up in the Air" this week, and will say modern, standard DVDs look better on the BD-UP5000 than older titles released on BD. The source material matters a lot more than the media.

The BD-UP5000 just rocks as a SD DVD player, except for the darn letterbox issue. Of course, if the powers at be would publish anamorphic DVDs of those old letterbox DVD titles, I would buy them tomorrow.

That said, my box will no longer play any HD-DVDs. And I am not sure when this happened. I thought it was after the firmware update, but I am certain it was later, because I would have tested various disks after the firmware update. Thank goodness for the HD-DVD/DVD flip disks. It will still play the DVD side of those.

I have read about the drive problems, so I assume that is what the problem is.

I guess I will move my HD-A2 downstairs and hook it up alongside the BD-UP5000. I like the HQV so much I am thinking of getting a refurb BD-P2500.

Update: Three clicks later the refurb BD-P2500 is on its way via Amazon's marketplace. About $180 with shipping. Looking forward to seeing how HQV handles streaming Netflix. I might never leave my house again.

post #10943 of 13743 Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ93rx7 View Post

I got my 5000 back from the Geek Squad about three weeks ago. I have played 6 movies and have not had a problem with freeze ups yet. I know i need to play more movies but I just haven't had the time. I got a PS3 for Christmas and it has been taking up all of time at night. Hopefully they fixed the problem. I will keep this thread posted as I watch more movies.

I have now played over 30 movies since I had the 5000 in for repiar. Not one problem at all. I have played HDDVD's Blu-Ray and DVD's. This is the second time I have had to send it in for repairs. I will keep my fingers cross that they may have finally fixed it.
post #10944 of 13743 Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I cannot find it. Has this unit ever been upgraded to allow all audio capabilities? Bitstream TrueHD/DTSHD or at least do full 7.1 lpcm?
post #10945 of 13743 Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I cannot find it. Has this unit ever been upgraded to allow all audio capabilities? Bitstream TrueHD/DTSHD or at least do full 7.1 lpcm?

Yes.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #10946 of 13743 Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone tried Ponyo, or either of the Toy Story's yet with their 5K? Just don't want any surprises/disappointments for my sons B-day. There has not been much to be excited about as far as new releases recently.
post #10947 of 13743 Old 03-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

emptychair
reMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post
Yes.

Was that in 1.3or1.4?
post #10948 of 13743 Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

When did the most recent firmware for this machine come out?
post #10949 of 13743 Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

To answer the previous two questions. The latest firmware (1.4) came out in November of 2008, coming up on nearly a year and a half ago.

Internal decode for DDTHD and streaming of all codecs over HDMI was fully supported in 1.3 firmware. 1.4 was just an update for some discs that did not play (For Your Eyes Only and the four July 29th 2008 Jack Ryan films on BD). I think that streaming of the advanced codecs was out before 1.3, but I was HDMI ignorant back then so I'm not sure when it came on the scene, possibly 1.2.

Despite no fw updates in quite some time, I have had little problems with the Sammy 5K. However there are still several more titles that don't play on my LG BH200 than on the 5K.
post #10950 of 13743 Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

To answer the previous two questions. The latest firmware (1.4) came out in November of 2008, coming up on nearly a year and a half ago.

Internal decode for DDTHD and streaming of all codecs over HDMI was fully supported in 1.3 firmware. 1.4 was just an update for some discs that did not play (For Your Eyes Only and the four July 29th 2008 Jack Ryan films on BD). I think that streaming of the advanced codecs was out before 1.3, but I was HDMI ignorant back then so I'm not sure when it came on the scene, possibly 1.2.

Despite no fw updates in quite some time, I have had little problems with the Sammy 5K. However there are still several more titles that don't play on my LG BH200 than on the 5K.

Thanks for the information. I've had great luck with mine also but went through hell finding one that did work w/o various glitches. Best Buy was great. I exchanged for 6 different 5K players before I found one that played w/o problems. So far so good! Recently purchased Blind Side, Inglorious Bastards, Pandorum, & Star Trek without and playback problems.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page