BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 366 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Anyone tried Ponyo, or either of the Toy Story's yet with their 5K? Just don't want any surprises/disappointments for my sons B-day. There has not been much to be excited about as far as new releases recently.

I have a problem playing Toy Story 1 on my 5k - has anyone else? Toy Story 2 plays fine but TS1 will not go past the intial start up - just a blank screen. Its weird - you think disney would have writtent he saem code on both. I am running 1.3 b/c 1.4 causes my player to freeze pretty much every time I put a BD in. Anyone else experiencing this? Or have suggestions about 1.4 upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

I have a problem playing Toy Story 1 on my 5k - has anyone else? Toy Story 2 plays fine but TS1 will not go past the intial start up - just a blank screen. Its weird - you think disney would have writtent he saem code on both. I am running 1.3 b/c 1.4 causes my player to freeze pretty much every time I put a BD in. Anyone else experiencing this? Or have suggestions about 1.4 upgrade?

It sounds like your player is problematic with the 1.4 upgrade, just like mine. That being the case, I'd advise against it. I'm still rolling along great with 1.3.

I haven't tried either of the Toy Story Blu-rays yet, but I have experienced the "stuck at a blank screen" issue on another disc when trying to start the movie. The solution was to go to the chapters menu and pick the first chapter.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
Old 04-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the pointers - actually I cant even get to the main screen - while the disc is loading it just shows a blank screen with the display on the front showing "chapter 3 time: 0000" - this also happened when I tried to watch "Made of honor" - or whatever that chick flick was called.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Could be a bunk disc, HD2Blu, but since your player is resistant to firmware revision 1.4, I'm thinking it's something more systemic in the player. Loaded without issue over here, revision 1.4.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Thanks all. Sounds like the TSs will be fine. I will know for sure later in the month when it's my sons B-day if we ever get around to watching them. I bought Ponyo as a perfect used copy so I can try that one when my son is not around and report back. We have already watched the 1080p MKV Jap. BD rip in DTS weeks before it was released here. BTW - got an insane deal on the two Toy Story's. Only $16 each new on Amazon after pre-order and price guarantee stuff. Now if I could just find a good copy of 10 Things I hate about you for around $10. From reading the reviews the Lord of the Rings series on BD might be FUBARed so I'm going to wait for cheep used copies of that. Not much else to look forward to in BD releases in the near future other than Disney classics, more Pixar and a couple other odd things. Avatar is being released in 1.85:1 instead of 2:35:1. Already have that on DVD and it looks horrid. I'm sure there will be a million used copies of that one come summer ;-)
Old 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Am anxious to get Sherlock Holmes but it's too pricy on release week (I'm not paying over $20 for new releases...by the fourth week post release that drops to $15).

Not to belittle your Toy Story deal but there were a host of coupons available for that...managed to get them both for ~$16 at ToysRUs after the various promotions/coupons.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Liked: 10
I read some people are using version 1.3 vs 1.4. Do you think this can solve HD DVD issues? My BD-UP 5000 plays DVD's & Blu ray's fine, but will nit read HD dvd's! anyone have a suggestion, or maybe a link to firmware 1.3?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Did you just get your player? Did it used to play HD DVDs and then stopped recently?

There have been people who had that part of their hardware "die"... since there is a separate mechanism for reading HD vs Blu in the Samsung player, it is possible for part to go bad while the other still works.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Am anxious to get Sherlock Holmes but it's too pricy on release week (I'm not paying over $20 for new releases...by the fourth week post release that drops to $15).

Not to belittle your Toy Story deal but there were a host of coupons available for that...managed to get them both for ~$16 at ToysRUs after the various promotions/coupons.

ya I know I had already preordered from amazon when the deal through toys are us came out and posted on slickdeals. I considered sending back and geting the deal but it was just too much work. Had it been for my library and not for my sons bday I would not have hesitated. I normaly don't buy new unless it is a killer deal and there are always deals and coupons on Disney title

I've bought a bunch of HD and bd over the past week since FYE has a great sale going on right now and with the backstage pass I'm buying even with tax for less than online used prices. Examples are transformers bd for under 10. Akira and fantastic mr. Fox for only 13 and Tuesday I'm picking up lord of the rings for under 40 after coupons and promotions.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Very good...deals and FYE are unusual to see together in a single sentence! Edit: Perhaps that experience is from the past...the closet one is 34 miles away now.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very good...deals and FYE are unusual to see together in a single sentence! Edit: Perhaps that experience is from the past...the closet one is 34 miles away now.

They are plentiful here in Utah since TWE (Trans World Entertainment) parent company of FYE purchased all the old media play mega stores (and a few smaller stores) several years ago when they went out of business during the last economic downturn. They have recently (in the SLC valley anyhow) started to price their merchandise to be competitive with online. Buying from their sales I routinely get better prices than I can even get on eBay these days and this current sale is quite good to take things even further down. In the good old days ending about a year ago every couple weeks they would have 40% off coupons for one used item and you could combine with the backstage pass for an almost 50% off. I bought several BD box sets and TV series seasons for dirt cheep and then resold on half.com for more than I paid after I watched them (True Blood, Mad Men etc.). I think I paid just a couple $ for season one of True Blood back last year and resold for around $25 or so. I had several gift cards and a couple mall gift cards as well. Better than renting from the video store!

I picked up the LotR BD set today. Discs are in perfect condition and and everything intact, but the case is a little trashed. They had the set in the store less than 2 days after release, so it is either a "crack buy" or whoever bought it did so to rip it. I guess they could have had a LotR marathon and then turned back in. Why people don't just rent these things is beyond me. Their loss, my gain. Might have been freight damaged goods as well. Too bad they were not sealed since they sell all traded merchandise as "used" even if sealed. Most of the HDs I have been buying there for peanuts are repackaged new ones. I'm planning on picking up one of the exclusive Best Buy steel cases that are plentiful on eBay as of the moment to store in anyhow. Ended up getting it for even cheeper than I thought I cleared under $40 even with tax. Not a bad deal, but I'm sure they will be $25 in no time since this is not a perfect set. I wanted it since I don't have the theatrical versions on DVD, just the extended box sets. I'm fine with the extended on DVD only since I may never watch them again, but want to see the movies how they were released in my home theater.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone gotten avatar to play on their 5k without a problem?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post

Has anyone gotten avatar to play on their 5k without a problem?

So far two people have reported trying to play it, and it didn't work for either of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my home theater setup
Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Here's a nice chat with samsung for you all!
Visitor: hi Lucy
Lucy M: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?
Visitor: I own a BD-UP5000, will the Avatar Blu-Ray work in my player?
Lucy M: Have you tried upgrading the player?
Visitor: the last upgrade that was available was in November of 2008 according to your website
Visitor: is there an update that I don't know about?
Lucy M: There is a firmware upgrade due to be released, we will forward this to our engineers.
Visitor: when is the firmware upgrade to be released?
Lucy M: This will be released very shortly.
Visitor: is there a date?
Lucy M: Unfortunately, there is no estimated timeframe, we will make it available within a couple of weeks.
Visitor: Will this update be for all samsung players
Lucy M: Yes, for all the Blu-ray players.
Visitor: this is a blu-ray HD-DVD combo player
Lucy M: I understand your concern.
Visitor: is it DEFINITELY included?
Lucy M: Yes please.
Lucy M: It is included.
Visitor: great! Thanks
Lucy M: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Visitor: no thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Similar response during my live chat a minute ago:

Patrick S: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?

Visitor: Hi there. I have a BD-Up5000 blu ray player. I have the current firmware installed (1.4). I am trying to watch the movie Avatar and it is telling me that I need updated firmware to do so. The player works with all other discs.

Patrick S: Please give me few minutes while I gather the information.

Visitor: No problem.

Patrick S: Thank you.

Patrick S: Thank you for holding.

Patrick S: Please once again upgrade the firmware on your player.

Visitor: Why? Again, I have the most current version available on your website (v. 1.4) and I have never had a problem before the Avatar disc today. Sounds like you guys need to issue new firmware to address problems with Avatar's copy protection scheme.

Patrick S: At present, we have the latest(1.4) version available for this player.

Patrick S: We do not have any further upgrade version available.

Patrick S: I will escalate the issue to level 2 and the concern department to resolve the issue.

Visitor: Are you saying that Samsung has no plans to issue further updates for this model? If so, what I am supposed to do with an $800 player that is less than two years old?

Patrick S: I apologize for the inconvenience.

Patrick S: As of now we did not get any reported issues from the customers with the firmware(1.4 version).

Patrick S: As the technology is increasing, everyone is trying to develop and release the disc using different format and techniques which is causing the playback compatibility issues and to overcome this problem firmware's are released to fix the compatibility issues.

Visitor: Yes, I understand the reason for firmware updates. What I am asking is whether there is going to be one to address this issue? Just ran a quick google search and it appears that this issue has already been reported to Samsung (see here for examples: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...007434&page=27)

Patrick S: Avatar is the latest movie which has some compatibility issues with the Blu-ray player. Our research team is working on the issue.

Visitor: Ok. So there is going to be a firmware update to address this issue, correct?

Patrick S: Yes.

Visitor: Any idea of when?

Patrick S: Once the latest firmware is available, this issue will be resolved.

Patrick S: We don't have exact time frame when it is going to be released.

Patrick S: We are from Samsung technical support, we do not have information about the research and development issues.

Visitor: OK. So I guess I'll sit tight for a couple of weeks. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM

I can confirm - it will NOT play on my player either. I am running 1.3 b/c of issues with 1.4 on my player but I will report that I am using 1.4 with samsung. Lets hope they resolve this soon.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

I can confirm - it will NOT play on my player either. I am running 1.3 b/c of issues with 1.4 on my player but I will report that I am using 1.4 with samsung. Lets hope they resolve this soon.

Just got off the phone with Samsung heres what the rep said:

Sam: What product are you calling about?
Me: BD UP 5000 - avatar won't play
Sam: We are aware of the problem - we did not get our hands on the disc until today so we did not know if it would play on all players, I have like 40 people on hold with the same issue. We will work on an upgrade and just keep calling. The company that make Avatar knew this would be an issue and that is why they included a DVD in the blu ray (what a load of crap). I will make a note of your call. I can pretty much guess what people are calling about today - we have received so many calls.
Me: Thank you - I look forward to your quick resolution of the problem.

nice...

P.S. - the rep never asked me which firmware I was running
Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM

Aside from the fact that the player is long overdue for a firmware upgrade (approaching the 1.5 year mark).
Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Both of my players will not play the smurfs. he..he

tony4k
Old 04-22-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

Both of my players will not play the smurfs. he..he

do you mean both players are BD UP 5000 or this and another player?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 2 up5000's

tony4k
Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM

I am going to get Avatar and I am sure it will not play play on my 5k either but if Sammy don't fix it pronto then it will be Oppo as my next purchase as they won't wait for 1.5 years for firmware upgrades.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a weak moment on Tuesday when I noticed that Avatar dropped from $25 to $20 on Amazon so I ordered it since I have Prime. Came today and I was not planning on opening it yet until I checked here. Confirmed that it won't play, apparently on most if not all of the Sammy players and several others from what I have read. I'm assuming that it is some new BD encryption key issue that was not properly made backward compatible with older players?

Comes up with a screen I have never seen before that says that the firmware needs to be updated. On the first try it just froze, but I think I just did not let it sit long enough.

I have chatted with Sammy support and been told that this issue and a few other issues will be addressed. Sounds like since there has been no major issues with this player, they have not issued a new firmware. I will believe it when I see it and it works and also fixes some other minor irritations that player has. If an update is not released within 30 days I will be returning the movie to Amazon as a defective/incompatible disc. In the meantime I guess I will have to ********** the 1080p/DTS rip of this in order to enjoy in HD. I've already had the DVD for quite some time.

This is the 1st BD that I have not been able to play at all. Minor issues here and there, but never a disc that simply refused to play. I've been concerned about the changing BD key for some time, but learnt that there is backward compatible code that allows the antiquated players to play the new discs (the reason for warnings that there may be delays etc. while playing the disc which I really have not experienced).

Here is my nice chat with Sammy if it will work. My browser is not playing nice and I could not get a transcript to E-mail out:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Angelina'

Angelina: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?
Visitor: Hi, I own a Sammy BD-U5000 combo player. Avatar arrived today from Amazon and it will not play. Says I need a firmware update. I am running the latest which is 1.4 that came out a 1.5 years ago. This is the first blu-ray I have had this problem with
Angelina: Let me know the firmware version you see on the player
Visitor: will a update be released soon for the BD-UP5000 to play this movie?
Angelina: With the disc tray open, press and hold the INFO button on the remote control. The System Information appears on the screen.
Visitor: 1.4 as I said
Angelina: Yes, our engineers are already updated abnout the avtar and they are working on it and will release a firmware soon
Visitor: any ETA? I only have 30 days to return this to Amazon if an update is not released
Angelina: Yes it will be released soon as most of our customer are waiting for it and I am sorry we donot have the exact date of release
Visitor: you sure that the BD-UP5000 will be updated? It hasn't been manufactured for quite some time and no updates have been released for quite some time as well
Angelina: Yes, it will be upgraded
Angelina: The support will continue
Visitor: ok I have heard rumor of a week or so I will wait it out and see what happens
Angelina: Actually we didnot receive any issue with this player hence we have not upgraded the firmware for it
Visitor: any idea if other know problems with the player will be addressed as well?
Angelina: As we have received it now we have forwarded it to our engineers and our engineers are working on it
Visitor: Ya, I figured since there were no major issues for a while that was the reason
Angelina: Yes, this new firmware will make the player play all the disc compatible issues
Angelina: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Visitor: ok. Just wondering about the audio dropout problems in some Sony Dolby Digital TrueHD discs
Visitor: like Handcock
Angelina: Once you upgrade the firmware it will fix all the disc issue
Visitor: ok thanks, That is all I need.
Angelina: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please press the "close" button and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting that AVSForum is redacting and censoring certain key words like B I T T O R R E N T that popular PtP protocol. I find that comical.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM

^haha, as futile as FOX and their evolving encryption efforts.

I had to laugh at this:
Quote:

Visitor: ok. Just wondering about the audio dropout problems in some Sony Dolby Digital TrueHD discs
Visitor: like Handcock
Angelina: Once you upgrade the firmware it will fix all the disc issue

Old 04-23-2010, 12:55 AM

I enjoyed Avatar on blu Ray tonight on my lg bd590!
Moved the 5000 to bedroom for it's great DVD upconversion.

I had the 5000 since it's first week it was released,,
not too many problems, but when a popular release like avatar won't even play
then it's time to jump ship.
I had the 590 for a month now and really enjoy vudu and pandora etc.

Really dissapointed in Samsung not updating firmware in well over a year.

Alot of players issued updates just because of Avatar,,,, who knows if and when samsung will,,

RIGHTONBEAT
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM

The rep said that the firmware update should be available in a couple of days.

info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Kris K'
Kris K: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?
Visitor: I bought the Blu ray "Avatar" last night and it will not play. It says to contact the manufacturer about a firmware update. I am running v. 1.4 which I know is most current. When can a new update be expected to solve this problem?
Kris K: Let me know the model number of the device.
Visitor: BD-UP5000 bluray/hd-dvd player
Kris K: Have you tried resetting the player?
Visitor: no but I have never had a problem with any other discs so I know it is a firmware issue. I just want this player to work like it is supposed to.
Kris K: Yes, I can understand that.
Kris K: I recommend you make sure that the latest firmware is updated in the player.
Kris K: With the disc tray open, press and hold the INFO button on the remote control. The System Information appears on the screen.
Visitor: As I said previously I am running the most recent firmware v.1.4.
Kris K: Okay, the player needs another firmware and it will be released in the near future.
Visitor: I know it needs a new firmware, that is what I am asking for.
Kris K: Have you registered the player?
Visitor: Yes the player is registered
Visitor: What is "near future"
Kris K: You can get the latest updates and information once the new firmware is released.
Kris K: You can get the update to your email address and also you can check that online.
Kris K: I see that the issue is already escalated and a new firmware will be released with in a couple of days.
Kris K: As the technology is increasing, everyone is trying to develop and release the disc using different format and techniques which is causing the playback compatibility issues.
Kris K: Once the new firmware is released the issues will be fixed.
Visitor: Ok I will keep checking for it thanks
Kris K: I appreciate your patience and understanding.
Kris K: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Visitor: nothing else

Let's see what happens in a couple of days.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Even if it takes longer than a couple of days, it's encouraging to see that they are aware of the issue now and seem to be working toward a fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my home theater setup
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^haha, as futile as FOX and their evolving encryption efforts.

I had to laugh at this:

Ya, I was going to point that out, but knew you would pick up on that. I'm saving the chat so I can send it to Samsung Executive Relations department when my HDs that don't play still don't and other problems still remain
Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone try Cocoon yet? Apparently it is another BD+ title with the new encryption. Just been reading and seems that some Sammy players can sort of play Avatar, but with many problems. Also there was speculation that there is a setting in the movie that won't allow it to play until the release date. Sounds pretty far fetched to me and was probably a joke, but might explain some things if that is a new feature of BD+ that Sammy has not implemented.

I don't really care about Cocoon, but just want to know if it does not play and if it is on Sammys radar screen for updates.

Since I'm a pessimist I'm predicting that Sammy will convinently forget about this player and releaseing an update for it. Either that or fixing the new issues and disabling HD playback capability

User Tag List