BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1081 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

I have both and posted my impressions throughout this thread, however it seems that other than SileasResearch and me, nobody sees the black crawling dots of the 5000...

Silly question, but what kind of TV do you both have? Maybe it's a compatibility issue?? Just thinking out loud...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

i'm getting mine tomorrow...the primary setup will be on my Qualia 006 but I may give it whirl on my Pio Pro-FHD1 through a Yamaha VX2700 for another data point...i'll be looking for any video issues...those having issues, what are the best titles to use for this?
post #1083 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

I can confirm that what he was seeing was a bug that's exclusive to early Sony HD CRTs, and it happens with any 1080i source. Don't worry about it.

It was I that posted about the vertical scrolling bar symptom.

Actually I do not get that scrolling vertical distortion bar when I play SD DVD's at 1080i on my Sony HD XBR34 CRT TV using the component connections. I only see that vertical bar scrolling from left to right of the screen when I play HD DVD's and Blue Ray DVD's output through the component jacks. So now it makes me wonder still if it is the TV or still possibly the Samsung UP5000 defective component output at 1080i with only HD discs?
When I get the chance I am going to try and connect it to another TV set component input at 1080i and see if the scrolling bar effect is still there or not.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #1084 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post

It was I that posted about the vertical scrolling bar symptom.

Actually I do not get that scrolling vertical distortion bar when I play SD DVD's at 1080i on my Sony HD XBR34 CRT TV using the component connections. I only see that vertical bar scrolling from left to right of the screen when I play HD DVD's and Blue Ray DVD's output through the component jacks. So now it makes me wonder still if it is the TV or still possibly the Samsung UP5000 defective component output at 1080i with only HD discs?
When I get the chance I am going to try and connect it to another TV set component input at 1080i and see if the scrolling bar effect is still there or not.

almost sounds like one of those "ground loop" effects...
post #1085 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcbride View Post

Has anyone checked to see if the 5000 will output 1080i over component when playing a SD disc? Based upon reading the manual, it is unclear and it also may be affected if the player is also attached via HDMI so the test would be only attached via component. I thought I read a post a ways back that indicated that it did, but just wanted to see what others are seeing.

Thanks,

Doug

I just checked tonight if it outputs real 1080i when playing an SD DVD (Fleetwood Mac concert disc) via my component connection. I set the player to 1080i to Onkyo NR905 receivers component inputs and then used the Onkyo's display info to show me what input signal it was receiving. It showed that the Samsung UP5000 was indeed feeding it a 1080i signal. If I change the 5000 to 720i, 720p, 480i or 480p, it also outputs those exactly as set. So the manual where it says that it will only output at 480i (or was that 480p?) is not valid or an old version. Component outputs seem to be able to output all the formats including 1080p from the UP5000.

post #1086 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:00 PM

Hi Sileas,

I think I have some new info for the FAQ!

The new surround AVR I want is out of stock so for the time being I'm limited to an old Sony with optical and DD 5.1 only. Last night I watched Transformers and it looked great (Sorry, I couldn't see any problems in the ice scene in chapter 3!). It sounded quite good, probably the best DD 5.1 I've heard.

Tonight I wanted to watch Spiderman 3 which has TrueHD or PCM multi channel. Obviously PCM wouldn't work so I chose TrueHD assuming that I would still get a core DD 5.1 over the optical. When the studio logo came on my receiver reported DD 5.1 and I could hear it. I was then disappointed when the movie proper started and the receiver reported stereo PCM!! I tried changing to different audio tracks but all I ever got was stereo PCM. Ironically when I went to the different languages, like French, they were in DD 5.1!

I realize that TrueHD is a lossless codec but I thought that ALL Dolby codecs still had the core DD 5.1. If they didn't then how could someone with only an older receiver with only DD 5.1 play the movie?

Anyway, I don't think this info was in the FAQ so I wanted to post it.

I hope Samsumg HURRIES UP with the firmware release!!!!!!!

Gerry
post #1087 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I have A Headache!
I have read almost every post and the FAQ's and I would like to go get this player tomorrow if I can get one simple answer. I am also getting a Denon 3808ci. I understand this player currently only passes uncompressed multichannel audio with LPCM over HDMI. My question is. How does LPCM sound in comparrison to DD, DTS or True HD or DTS HD and would I hear a big improvement over DD or DTS through Optical ? I only have a 5.1 Speaker setup with no way to expand to 7.1 in the near future.
Thanks for your patients.

It will pass LPCM over HDMI or Analog. I have listened to 1 movie so far that had an LPCM option. I felt it was an improvement to DD and DTS. I do not have HDMI and I have had no experience with True HD or DTS HD to make a comparison, however on paper LPCM should sound as good as good or better as the other formats

I see you live in Louisville, I'm over on the east side of town.......PM me if you want to come over and hear the player. You could compare optical DD and DTS vs analog LPCM and check out the picture quality.

Regards,
John

Regards,
John
post #1088 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

Hi Sileas,

The new surround AVR I want is out of stock so for the time being I'm limited to an old Sony with optical and DD 5.1 only. Last night I watched Transformers and it looked great (Sorry, I couldn't see any problems in the ice scene in chapter 3!). It sounded quite good, probably the best DD 5.1 I've heard.

Tonight I wanted to watch Spiderman 3 which has TrueHD or PCM multi channel. Obviously PCM wouldn't work so I chose TrueHD assuming that I would still get a core DD 5.1 over the optical. When the studio logo came on my receiver reported DD 5.1 and I could hear it. I was then disappointed when the movie proper started and the receiver reported stereo PCM!! I tried changing to different audio tracks but all I ever got was stereo PCM. Ironically when I went to the different languages, like French, they were in DD 5.1!

I realize that TrueHD is a lossless codec but I thought that ALL Dolby codecs still had the core DD 5.1. If they didn't then how could someone with only an older receiver with only DD 5.1 play the movie?

Gerry

TrueHD is not a mandatory codec for either HD-DVD or Blu-ray discs. People with only DD receivers are expected to use the DD+ track and get the core DD from that. TrueHD doesn't have the DD core; it's a completely different beast.

This link has all the info you could need, and then some:
High-Def FAQ: Blu-ray and HD-DVD Audio Explained

I suspect that in your case, the receiver decoded the TrueHD to 2.0 PCM and sent that along the optical SPDIF.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #1089 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Sileas,

Gerry

when dd-thd is used on bd, there is no "core" dd but instead the bd format *requires* that a companion standard dd track be included as well...the player, if it doesn't support dd-thd decoding internally, must default, as per bd spec, to dd... however, in this instance, the fact that they've provided 2 channel dd-thd decoding, this appears to be screwing up the playback of the standard dd track...clearly samsung will either have to fix this, or more preferably (i can't imagine them not doing this) enable multi-channel dd-thd decoding.
post #1090 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:

I have both and posted my impressions throughout this thread, however it seems that other than SileasResearch and me, nobody sees the black crawling dots of the 5000...

I saw some of them while watching planet earth. They seems to appear in either very dark or light areas. BTW, I was watching via hdmi direct to a panny 1080P plasma 58 inch.

However... the video in general is so superior to what I'm accustomed to, that I'm overall very happy. Until now, I've been watching mostly HD cable and some SD dvd's (with an up-conversion OPPO.)

As for audio, I'm presently just using the coax to a ROTEL 1067 receiver. Sounds very nice. I think the audio is as good if not better (wishful thinking??) than what I was getting from the OPPO.

For those of you using analog, do you think I would notice an improvement if I switched to analog?? The receiver is capable of 7.1 analog and I do have seven speakers and a sub set up.
post #1091 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

almost sounds like one of those "ground loop" effects...

Oky I just tested the 1080i component output on another new Samsung LCD TV to see if it has the vertical scrolling bar symptom. I am happy to report that it did not occur on the other TV set. So it seems to indeed be only with my old CRT Sony XBR HD TV.

However on that Samsung 23" LCD HDTV I saw alot of what might be the crawling dots static very clearly. I don't know if it was the source material grain or just normal video noise I was seeing. But these static noise crawly (or sparkling static) dots noise do not show up much at all on my old CRT Sony XBR HD TV. Hmmmm. So could the crawling dot symptom reported by EuroTrance and Sileas, be pronounced by certain TV sets and their sharpness settings I wonder. May explain why some see it and most others don't.

Oh, I should add, the disc I used was HD-DVD Superman Returns movie. Around the scene where Lex Luther is with the dying old lady signing over her will to him.

post #1092 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:

when dd-thd is used on bd, there is no "core" dd but instead the bd format *requires* that a companion standard dd track be included as well...the player, if it doesn't support dd-thd decoding internally, must default, as per bd spec, to dd... however, in this instance, the fact that they've provided 2 channel dd-thd decoding, this appears to be screwing up the playback of the standard dd track...clearly samsung will either have to fix this, or more preferably (i can't imagine them not doing this) enable multi-channel dd-thd decoding.

Hi Ben,

But the only English selections for Spiderman3 were TrueHD and PCM multi-channel. Or ar you saying that there should be a hidden DD track that would come up through the optical but is getting screwed up because the 5000 is decoding the 2 channel TrueHD and that is superceeding the hidden DD track.

Either way, there definitely was no DD track on the optical for this disk!!

Thanks,
Gerry
post #1093 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Ben,

But the only English selections for Spiderman3 were TrueHD and PCM multi-channel. Or ar you saying that there should be a hidden DD track that would come up through the optical but is getting screwed up because the 5000 is decoding the 2 channel TrueHD and that is superceeding the hidden DD track.

Either way, there definitely was no DD track on the optical for this disk!!

Thanks,
Gerry

right, the standard dd wouldn't be a selectable track, just what would get played by a player that doesn't decode thd...but since here there is *some* decoding of thd and there is no way to directly select the standard dd track (not sure if that is something that could be authored into the title...will have to ask on the insider's thread but that would be nice ) i think the player is getting screwed up.

you would think at a minimum the s/pdif output would be forced to used the standard dd...is there a way to disable the hdmi audio in order to possibly force this behavior?

guess i'll be reading the manual tomorrow during lunch...
post #1094 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:

right, the standard dd wouldn't be a selectable track, just what would get played by a player that doesn't decode thd...but since here there is *some* decoding of thd and there is no way to directly select the standard dd track (not sure if that is something that could be authored into the title...will have to ask on the insider's thread but that would be nice ) i think the player is getting screwed up.

you would think at a minimum the s/pdif output would be forced to used the standard dd...is there a way to disable the hdmi audio in order to possibly force this behavior?

guess i'll be reading the manual tomorrow during lunch...

I haven't read the manual, but I looked over every option possible and didn't not see any way to disable the hdmi audio output. If you find it before I do, please post your findings. Otherwise, that is definitely something to go on a firmware request list.
post #1095 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:43 PM

Well, earlier today, I stopped into the local BestBuy here in Niles, OH. I wasn't expecting much. More of a curiosity. I did find the LG BH200 on display and was told that they had those in stock. However, I did not find the Samsung. On a hope and a prayer, I asked an employee to look it up. He looked on the internal web site, which said "Sold Out Online." I then asked him to check the store inventory, which reported 1 unit in stock. Turns out, it was "hidden" in a distant corner of the store. Needless to say, I am now the proud owner of the Samsung 5000!!!

Came home and set it up...WOW!!! I love it!!! I have a modest set-up...Panny 42" Plasma and Onkyo reciever with only 2 large speakers. However, I am very pleased with the Samsung. I did have several "glitches" when I first started playing with it. I would get "stuck" mid-way through Batman Begins (HD-DVD) and would initially not load King Kong (HD-DVD). It played all Blu-Ray flawlessly. SD DVD upconverted was gorgeous. I think much better than my upconverting Toshiba DVD Player. Later on, I was able to play both HD-DVD titles without flaw. I have since been unable to replicate the issues with the HD-DVD titles. Overall, I am pleased with this device. Thanks to all of you other owners who have provided information regarding your experience with this unit. It sure helped me make the decision to purchase it.

Oh, FYI, for those interested...mine was built November 2007. Firmware: 071108.02_114_0924.11_XAA (which incidentally is the most current firmware according to my machine when I tried to update it).

Hope this helps.
post #1096 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For whoever was asking about PAL region 0 DVDs : it's a no go. "Disc can not be played. Check TV system".

As i expected Thanks for checking that eurotrance. As usual, if we want PAL playback we will need to wait for a local model, or perhaps the UK version, which still presetns region issues
post #1097 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post

I don't think it is yet definitively known how much local storage it actually has. I think 128 MB is the best guess so far based on what people have seen. If it indeed has only 128 MB then unless Samsung makes it possible to hookup external storage devices to it (USB, NAS, etc...) it will never "officially" be compliant, but ONLY due to local storage. It does everything else all they way through 2.0. The lack of storage should ONLY be a problem if the interactive content on discs begins to exceed 128 MB. I don't think it's exceeded 10 MB yet on any available disc. I don't think picture-in-picture has any cache/storage requirement, but I could be wrong. What that storage is really for is to cache bonus items that the discs can download (or have onboard, for faster access) like trailers, pictures, games, and who knows what else.

It is known. At least for the players with a build date of 2007-10. I opened my player and found the nand flash chip is 512MB, 128MB of which is currently available for user storage.

It is possible that Samsung could revise their firmware into a smaller storage footprint, allowing 256MB for user storage. Time will tell.
post #1098 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 09:15 PM

FYI...

I know some have reported problems with the Die Hard 4 Blu-Ray...

I just watched it and it played no problem.

My player is one of the Oct 07 ones...

-- Garrett
post #1099 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggunderson View Post

FYI...

I know some have reported problems with the Die Hard 4 Blu-Ray...

I just watched it and it played no problem.

My player is one of the Oct 07 ones...

-- Garrett

Yea, this is a complete mystery to me. I have the same Oct build and mine will not play Live Free or Die Hard. Brand new disc and I've tried to play it on many occasions. I get a red screen from the disc that says my player need a firmware update.

Craziness.
post #1100 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomb View Post

It is known. At least for the players with a build date of 2007-10. I opened my player and found the nand flash chip is 512MB, 128MB of which is currently available for user storage.

It is possible that Samsung could revise their firmware into a smaller storage footprint, allowing 256MB for user storage. Time will tell.

Ah, I remember hearing rumors about that but hadn't seen it confirmed. Well that's good to know. So pending a FW update it is 1.1 compliant and for all intents and purposes it is 2.0 compliant as well, since the difference between 512 MB and 1 GB of local storage is fairly trivial considering the volume of the content which uses it. It's gonna be a long, long time before there's a disc with over 512 MB of interactive content.
post #1101 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post

Ah, I remember hearing rumors about that but hadn't seen it confirmed. Well that's good to know. So pending a FW update it is 1.1 compliant and for all intents and purposes it is 2.0 compliant as well, since the difference between 512 MB and 1 GB of local storage is fairly trivial considering the volume of the content which uses it. It's gonna be a long, long time before there's a disc with over 512 MB of interactive content.

Yea, the storage requirements for Bluray profiles 1.1 and 2.0 are not deal breakers. In reality, the bluray association arbitrarily came up with storage requirements. The requirements are reasonable of course, but just because you don't have that much space doesn't mean 1.1 and 2.0 discs will not play. Worst case scenario is you'll need to clean up your storage more often than a player with more available space.

Also, keep in mind 512MB is the total capacity of the main flash chip. The player's firmware is stored on this flash chip, in addition to user content. In other words, this player could never have 512MB of user storage available, because the firmware is always gonna take some of that space. Best case scenario, at some point we get 256MB available user storage space, in my humble opinion.

FYI, here's my first post with pics inside and links to the various chips:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12520199

SileasResearch later gave incite that the 4MB flash chip is the bootloader.
post #1102 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomb View Post

Yea, this is a complete mystery to me. I have the same Oct build and mine will not play Live Free or Die Hard. Brand new disc and I've tried to play it on many occasions. I get a red screen from the disc that says my player need a firmware update.

Craziness.

Is it maybe a defective disc?? Have you tried a different copy?

-- Garrett
post #1103 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggunderson View Post

Is it maybe a defective disc?? Have you tried a different copy?

-- Garrett

I don't have access to another copy and I don't feel like renting one or returning it given other people have reported the same issue. Its possible, but not very probable with other similar reports. Also, samsung already has a history of issues with Fox blurays, as do other manufacturers.
post #1104 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 PM

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...=BD-UP5000/XAA

Looks like Samsung finally has a regular page for the BD-UP5000 on their site.
post #1105 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpg1 View Post

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...=BD-UP5000/XAA

Looks like Samsung finally has a regular page for the BD-UP5000.

heh, that's been there for like a month.
post #1106 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM

I entered BD-UP5000 as a keyword at Samsung.com and the result for this page said December 21, 2007 as it's date. Sorry
post #1107 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 PM

Are you referring to the page where you can double click on the .pdf icon and download the manual? They're different.

The manual page is dated November 29 in the search results for BD-UP5000.
post #1108 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 PM

No, that page that you linked to. It has been up for a little while. No biggie, just letting you know.
post #1109 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 PM

After much thought about returning it, I finally decided to hook up the 5000 tonight. I had a good experience with it. Fired right up. I set it all up and popped in LFoDH. It played it fine. I even stopped it, paused several times, went back, fast forwarded, etc with no problems. It is hooked up via HDMI through a Yamaha 3800 to a Pio plasma and an Optoma HD72, which I watched tonight. It is the 1114_0924.11.XAA.

The only thing that seemed a little wierd to me was when I selected 720p on the 5000, the "Samsung" on the menu screen had jaggies. When I went to 1080i, they went away, but the logo looked a little soft. Same when watching the movie, as 1080i seemed to look better. Not sure what's up with that as the HD72 is a native 720p The Yamaha is set to pass the signal through.

I saw no wigglies or black dots, even at 1' from the screen. The screen is 92" diagonal. Audio sounded great! I'll play with it on the Pioneer later on.
post #1110 of 13678 Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post

May I ask why you chose the HD-DVD version over the BluRay version? Just curious. Sorry for the off topic post. You can PM me if you like instead of answering here.

Greetings!
I preordered Blade Runner when I still only owned an XA2.
Since I can play both formats now, I plan to still predominanty purchase HD DVD titles, unless a film is a Blu exclusive. From my limited recent exposure to the Blu side, it just seems to me that HD DVD is a bit more stable, and I have an affinity to DTS, which seems more redily availble on HD DVD.
Best,
snowtrooper1966

I have a Sith sense...I see Darth people..."
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page