BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #91 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
this quote from the manual regarding 100Hz crossover, I find confusing:

"Speaker Setup:

Front (L, R)- Large, Small
Center (C-) Large, Small, None
Surround (LS, RS-) Large, Small, None
Subwoofer (LFE)- On, Off
Surround Back -Large, Small, None

Speaker:

Large : Delivers full bandwidth sound with bass below 100 Hz.
Small : If LFE is on, bass below 100 Hz will be outputted through a Subwoofer instead of the speakers. If LFE is off and the Front Speaker is set to Large, sound will be outputted through the Front Speaker.
None : Select to disable the speakers.

Subwoofer Speaker

On : Select to use the subwoofer speaker.
Off : Select to disable the subwoofer speaker.
(This option can only be selected when the
Front (L+R) speakers are set to Large.)
"

Under the "speaker, small " section , it says "If LFE is on, bass below 100 Hz will be outputted through a Subwoofer instead of the speakers."

But then under the "subwoofer speaker " section , it says "(This option can only be selected when the Front (L+R) speakers are set to Large.)". Incidentally, it says the exact same things in the manual for the BD-P1400 !

Presumably it is a mistake and the 1st comment "If LFE is on, bass below 100 Hz will be outputted through a Subwoofer instead of the speakers." should be under the large speaker section ?

If so then this confirms the issue with the crossover, as suspected ?

But , it occurs to me , I have a REL subwoofer so even if I set LFE to OFF , it should be able to take the full Hz range signal from the post-amp front speaker output via the Neutrik cable and thereby get around the problem. I could try to see how this would sound on my exising set up. In fact I seem to remember REL recommending that their sub was connected this way. And if this still sounds good, then it needn't be a dealbreaker for anyone with this type of sub: simply setting LFE to OFF and using a neutrik cable for the sub could be all that is needed. I will post how this sounds with my HDA1 once I have tried it out, for what its worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 04:24 AM

Liked: 10
Ok, I'm back.

I Am Legend was awesome on the Imax, and was fun to see after watching Omega Man on HD-DVD last week.

But... holy resolution Batman! The Imax Dark Knight footage is just disturbing. Go just for that. Wow. Made me tear up.

So, I am going to do some more tests now, but more with regard to general usability, etc.

There were a few questions here and there, one was about "Reon". The settings are very sparse - doesn't look like you get much beyond settting your TV type.

Now, does anyone know a service menu code sequence for any other Samsung players? I'll try those on here to see if they work.

Panasonic PT-AE7000; TBD Screen!; Sony glasses
Integra 80.3
Panasonic DMP-BDT220; Samsung BD-UP5000; Directv HR20-700, AppleTV gen 3
7x JBL PT800 2x Parasound HCA-1500A stereo -> Fronts, 4x HCA-1000A bridged -> 4x surrounds
2x JBL PS1400 SW by QSC MX1500A stereo
Dedicated room
post #93 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 04:51 AM

For the lucky few and especially to the person who created this thread, can we create a FAQ at the beginning to cover the already discussed points (ie: same as the Onkyo 705 thread). This removes the chance of this becoming bloated with already answered questions (ala Onkyo 805 thread and others).

Meanwhile, I've been looking at the BH200 vs. what I've read here and it appears the major differences are:

BD5000 - 128MB internal memory
BH200 - 1GB internal memory (someone opened the unit and confirmed)

BD5000 - capable of 1080/24
BH200 - not capable of 1080/24

BD5000 - reon appears ok (tough it doesn't have too many options)
BH200 - reon reportedly not setup as good as it can be

NOTE: BH200 supposedly isn't the final release and the users reporting on it have "display" units from the various shops. That said, firmware update has already been released.

I realise this isn't a comparison thread between the 2 units, and I'll limit it to that, the BH200 thread shows all of the BH200 points anyway. But please .... let's create a FAQ for the BD5000 which can be updated.
post #94 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 AM

So, I've thrown in Pirates 3, and am pretty confused. Is there a known issue with the menus being unreadable? The background (with a talking skull) is not appropriate for the text, which is small and dark colored. I can't read it at all. Perhaps this is some sort of issue with this player?

Oh, and aren't there pop up on-screen menus for bluray? So far, I'm not liking bluray much... seems not to be a refined as the HD-DVD interface.

Panasonic PT-AE7000; TBD Screen!; Sony glasses
Integra 80.3
Panasonic DMP-BDT220; Samsung BD-UP5000; Directv HR20-700, AppleTV gen 3
7x JBL PT800 2x Parasound HCA-1500A stereo -> Fronts, 4x HCA-1000A bridged -> 4x surrounds
2x JBL PS1400 SW by QSC MX1500A stereo
Dedicated room
post #95 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 05:32 AM

I'll be getting the Samsung hooked up soon. I have a 7.1 system hooked up to a Denon 3808ci. My HDMI cable for this is even 1.3a compliant (Got 4 of these from Monoprice). I'll report once everything is working. Though, honestly, Sileas is the man right now on this. Thanks Dude!

"With Tivo, it's like having this guy in your house watching TV for you!" -David Letterman
post #96 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

So, I've thrown in Pirates 3, and am pretty confused. Is there a known issue with the menus being unreadable? The background (with a talking skull) is not appropriate for the text, which is small and dark colored. I can't read it at all. Perhaps this is some sort of issue with this player?

Oh, and aren't there pop up on-screen menus for bluray? So far, I'm not liking bluray much... seems not to be a refined as the HD-DVD interface.

Pirates movies do have fancy menus. Everything is fine
on other Blu-Ray Players. I can not speak to how they
look on the 5000. I don't own one.
post #97 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I'll do some digging - but I thought that there was a problem with Pirates BR on the 1400 as well. I think this was taken care of via a firmware fix?

UPDATED - Nope! The article I had read had to do with playback on Sony's PS3.

Spence

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #98 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:

Ok, next up, some HD-DVD... 12Monkeys.. (told you, Bruce is in the house)

First, the good - insert to picture, around 40 seconds. this is faster than Bluray.

Uh,oh.... the universal logo that first hits the screen had serious motorboating and distortion issues. Samsung guys, we have a problem. Let's try that one again, shall we?

Mmm... this time it is clean... maybe this was a codec issue when switching from bluray to HD. I powered off and brought it back up. Clean this time. Later I will try to reproduce this, but I bet a power cycle will clear it every time.

uh-oh... just started the movie, and the Dolby Digital Plus track is motorboating and crackling. Somebody call Ray Dolby. We have a licensing violation here.

Chaptering forward and back and ff/rr eventually clears it. Will have to check with another disc to see if it is only this disc.

Okeedokey, I'll sit this one out. Never mind about the bitstream audio.
post #99 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I gotta say folks, I am not disappointed. Don't be discouraged. My feeling, knowing Dolby and their quality standards, is that Samsung was behind in the validation, and released only the firmware they had, and I bet they pushed a bit to get this out. Lets wait a bit to see what the response is from both Dolby and Samsung.

That doesn't make sense when players that were released earlier were conforming.
post #100 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

That doesn't make sense when players that were released earlier were conforming.

Something else that doesn't make sense, according to the HD Guru Review:
Quote:

According to a Samsung spokesperson the BD-UP5000 has 256MB internal memory.

post #101 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 View Post

Completely agree...aren't there lipsynch issues with hdmi 1.3a and some receivers supporting that?

There are if your receiver doesn't have the ability to adjust lipsynch. I've got the new Yamaha 3800 and I have no issues at all with lipsynch and the advanced audio codecs.
post #102 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 AM

Time to start clamouring for the specifics of the firmware: when and what. I've only heard it will fix DTS-MA, and some have said only bitstream DTS-MA at that. No mention of TrueHD. I've also heard conflicting dates on the release- some February, others January.
Also time to not let these manufacturers claim that stereo TrueHD is real TrueHD. Better to label it as "crippled" TrueHD. For all we know, Samsung may think they're done with the TrueHD implementation...

If a manufacturer doesn't specifically say "multi-channel TrueHD" or something similar, consumers should balk at the product if they're interested in the real deal. Same thing with DTS-HD (which is really better as far as the terminology since there really is no confusing DTS-HD(crippled) with DTS-MA (real deal)).
post #103 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is as refined, but it appears there are limitations to how the Samsung is handling it. I've got both formats and see little difference in the sophistication of menus. It's also very disc dependent.

It's just amazing these guys can't get it right.

Thanks for your posts on this, you've saved me from a hunt for this player.
post #104 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 AM

I've got the unit at the "in process" stage at BBFB. I'm now very confused after reading this and the other related threads.

My main 2 questions are:

If I have a receiver capable of decoding the lossless audio formats, will the duo pass the necessary info via the HDMI output?? Also, will it pass that info across either an OPTICAL or COAX output?

Second, what is this about the player needing 256MB memory for 1.1 upgrade and it having only 128MB. Is this true??

Thanks in advance. I realize some of this may have been answered, but I have a bit of trouble understanding the letter soup (PCM, Bitstream, etc...)
post #105 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Crap. I've waited all this time thinking that the biggest issue MIGHT be 2-channel TurHD & DTS-MA. Don't get me wrong those are BIG issues but they are nothing compared to simple playback without hiccups, andthis player won't do that??

Wasn't the BD-P1400 a pretty well reviewed player? What happerend here? UPS is is going to make a killing delivering these and shipping them back!
post #106 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

O.K., the memory is disheartening. Maybe the 128MB explains the problems with the POTC menus??? Who knows.

Time to go look at the LG owners thread.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #107 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Two things:

1) Those are receivers, not processors. I don't need amps. I do separates only.

My Denon 2307CI is technically a Receiver. It is really a pre/pro the way I use it. So an Onkyo 875 or 905 would be a great pre/pro Just don't use the amp section.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #108 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

First of all, sorry for a possible off-topic post, and moderators please feel free to delete or move if you need to, but before we get too despondent on the subject of the memory - let me suggest the possibility that SileasResearch (who purchased what I believe was to be a "display model") may indeed have a "display model".

Let me explain - perhaps Samsung already had some early units that made it through manufacturing prior to settling on what will become the device's final configuration (256MB as stated in an earlier post on a different thread).

What if Samsung left a few of these pre-release models in release, intended not for sale, but for use as "demo" or "display" models knowing that they needed to get product into stores for display!

If this is possible, then it is also possible that there may indeed be units with 256MB on board.

Yeah, it may all be wishful thinking, but as I was pointed out on an Amazon thread which stated that LG released hardware specifically to be used as demo/display units, does anyone else thing it may be possible?

Cheers,
Spence

SpenceJT

post #109 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

First of all, sorry for a possible off-topic post, and moderators please feel free to delete or move if you need to, but before we get too despondent on the subject of the memory - let me suggest the possibility that SileasResearch (who purchased what I believe was to be a "display model") may indeed have a "display model".

Let me explain - perhaps Samsung already had some early units that made it through manufacturing prior to settling on what will become the device's final configuration (256MB as stated in an earlier post on a different thread).

What if Samsung left a few of these pre-release models in release, intended not for sale, but for use as "demo" or "display" models knowing that they needed to get product into stores for display!

If this is possible, then it is also possible that there may indeed be units with 256MB on board.

Yeah, it may all be wishful thinking, but as I was pointed out on an Amazon thread which stated that LG released hardware specifically to be used as demo/display units, does anyone else thing it may be possible?

Cheers,
Spence

Yes, possible. But definitely a rip-off for Sileas, if true.

I wish some other new owners would chime in...
post #110 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... does anyone else thing it may be possible?

Cheers,
Spence

Maybe but I doubt it. Is it typical for a manufacturer to provide a vendor with a 'dud' for display. What if a customer wanted to try the unit out using POTC? I doubt they'd buy it. But hey, here's to hoping. And while we're at it, lets hope for full TrueHD and DTS-MA as well as flawless playback (not intended as a swipe at your comment - just hoping...)
post #111 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

Nothing that an in-store exchange wouldn't correct. It wouldn't really be a slam against Samsung if Best Buy mistakenly sold off a display unit without knowing that it wasn't a "final spec" (unless it wasn't communicated by the manufacturer).

...again it is all just supposition on part of my conspiracy minded wishful thinking, so don't read too much into what I have posted. Plausible but improbable.

SpenceJT

post #112 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

While that may be true, I don't think I am going to plop down $800 on a Dual Format player that doesn't have 1 GB of RAM to support BD-Live. There is a chance I may never use any of the BD-Live features, but why spend the dough now only to find out later that the BD-Live features are really cool and I can not take advantage of them. I really doubt Samsung used laptop memory modules that I could just pop into the slots to upgrade the memory!

I have an A2 for my HDDVD right now, but I really want Blu.

When my wife leaves the continent in January, I am going to upgrade our HT. I may just get a Blu standalone for now, and wait for a DF format player that will bitstream the audio and supports Profile 2.0.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #113 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

SileasResearch?

Wake-y - wake-y! I know it's only 7:15 out in sunny CA, but I've been up for hours waiting for more of your postings!

Inquiring minds want to live vicariously through YOU!

Time to grab yourself some strong coffee and start pressing buttons!

SpenceJT

post #114 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:29 AM

My excitment for this player has really gone down the toilet.
post #115 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 AM

Again, will it output lossless audio to a capable receiver or not? And as, if not more importantly, is it capable of playing BF and HD-DVD's well from a video standpoint?

... I'm considering canceling my order from BBFB but I really don't want to.
post #116 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 AM

Liked: 12
Here's a review, not sure if its been posted yet (this was a prototype):

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...bd-up5000.html
post #117 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:45 AM

I guess this is one of the most anticipated threads out there
post #118 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

I'm not sure about Spence's conspiracy theory, but I can say I'm pretty positive I bought the Display Model. It came with the little sign for it and everything. Attached are pictures of of the sign, another un-boxing photo, and picture of the 5k hooked up to my tv.
LL
LL
LL
post #119 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yes... about 2 weeks back perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

Here's a review, not sure if its been posted yet (this was a prototype):

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...bd-up5000.html

post #120 of 13738 Old 12-15-2007, 07:56 AM

Liked: 12
If this unit only sends Dolby True out of the analogs as 2 channel stereo, and if it doesn't decode DTS master and send that out of the analogs, then I might just wait and see to be sure that there will be a firmware update for this, as this is one thing I have waited for having no HDMI on my receiver. There are a couple of other players out there that do send these 2 formats through the analogs, one being the Samsung 1400 and the other (that I am aware of) the Panasonic dmp-bd10a, but I waited for this for the Reon HQV processor. As far as hd-dvd playability, there aren't that many movies that get me excited that are available yet on the format but should they come out it would be nice to know I can also play those.

Sorry for re-posting the Sound and Vision review.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page