BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 420 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #12571 of 13743 Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Chuck Season 4 on Blu played without any problems... and now I need to watch some stuff off the DVR that has been backing up again!

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12572 of 13743 Old 10-22-2011, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides loaded right up and seems to be playing fine so far.

Rick
post #12573 of 13743 Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I think this has already been posted before, but Scream loaded and played fine.
post #12574 of 13743 Old 10-22-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

I think this has already been posted before, but Scream loaded and played fine.

Yeah, that was me... I had bought & watched Scream, Scream 2, and Scream 3 a while back from one of those cheap movie sales at Best Buy.

post #12575 of 13743 Old 10-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Spooky Buddies did not play in Blu-Ray or regular DVD using 1.6 or 1.4
post #12576 of 13743 Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimple View Post

Spooky Buddies did not play in Blu-Ray or regular DVD using 1.6 or 1.4

Could you elaborate on what the issue is. I would not doubt that the DVD has issues, but I have yet to run into a problematic Disney on 1.6 that is not fine on 1.4. Did you try the stop then disk menu fix if it is getting stuck at the castle or elseware? More detail is important so I can report it. That is not a movie that I have planned on viewing.
post #12577 of 13743 Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Both scre4m and pirates 4 (as previously reported) loaded and played just fine for me. Scre4m loaded super quick and pirates gave none of the bull that is present on many newer Disney titles. I hope this is the last for pirates, not nearly as good as the others. I doubt the scream franchise is over yet and I bet there are more pirates as well.
post #12578 of 13743 Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Really?. Even looks like my handwriting, but I don't recall sending one out to NY?
http://www.ebay.com:80/itm/ws/eBayIS...E:B:SS:US:1123
post #12579 of 13743 Old 10-24-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Easy A last night without issues... I picked up a few more Blockbuster specials recently, and decided to try that one out.

The one I'm most concerned about is Secretariat, since it is a Disney flick... but maybe the rental is different than the retail version. Has anyone tried any rental versions of the retail movies that don't play? It would be weird if the rental version was coded differently.

post #12580 of 13743 Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Watched Easy A last night without issues... I picked up a few more Blockbuster specials recently, and decided to try that one out.

The one I'm most concerned about is Secretariat, since it is a Disney flick... but maybe the rental is different than the retail version. Has anyone tried any rental versions of the retail movies that don't play? It would be weird if the rental version was coded differently.

Ya, I picked up Easy A at BB also and had checked that out at one point. I think I even might have rented the BD from BB when it came out?

Secretariat is fine, I have owned that once since shortly after release and I don't recall any drama at all on loading/playing. Alice in Wonderland (the animated one) is another that I bought around the same time and had not issues with either.

Disney does not have "rental" specific versions. It's WB, Universal and Paramount that play that game and lately all Universal "rental" versions have NO bonus features at all trying to force you to buy to get that crap. I typically used rent almost all of the Disney stuff before I buy, but lately I have just been picking them up, knowing I can get them to play somehow or another. I don't recall ever seeing any difference in the content of the renal Disney's compared to the retail versions (except for missing bonus discs). Usually when you rent a Disney you only get the feature disc, but when I bought Crimson Wing and Earth at the last BB blowout they both included bonus discs; DVD for one and a actual bonus BD disc for the other. I can't recall which had what and I'm too lazy to move 3' from my couch to the mantel to check it out ;-)

I will check out Secretariat one day soon again along with Back to the Future III since someone mentioned privately that they had some issues with that one. I opened up my set yesterday since my notes indicated that the digital copies expired 10/26 but they actually expire 11/30. I loaded them onto the trusty MBP anyhow and checked out the 1st movie since mine has a nasty scratch on the label side (courtesy of Universals terrible packaging of that set) and wanted to make sure it would load and play. I had no issues that I could see. And man those discs are rather transparent, I can actually see right through them.
post #12581 of 13743 Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Disney has semi-rental-specific versions...

They don't include the 2nd disc (usually just a DVD) so they print up different artwork.

Also, my copy of Sky High from Blockbuster will not let you skip the ads and it goes right to playing the movie... and when the movie ends, it immediately starts playing the movie again... over and over if you let it.

Secretariat doesn't list that it has any of the movie bonus extras either... but it might have them still since sometimes the rental copies don't say and yet have them anyway.

Oh, and I don't remember having any issues with the Back to the Future Trilogy... I watched them all a while ago, though... whenever it was I bought them late last year.

post #12582 of 13743 Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Disney has semi-rental-specific versions...

They don't include the 2nd disc (usually just a DVD) so they print up different artwork.

Also, my copy of Sky High from Blockbuster will not let you skip the ads and it goes right to playing the movie... and when the movie ends, it immediately starts playing the movie again... over and over if you let it.

Secretariat doesn't list that it has any of the movie bonus extras either... but it might have them still since sometimes the rental copies don't say and yet have them anyway.

Oh, and I don't remember having any issues with the Back to the Future Trilogy... I watched them all a while ago, though... whenever it was I bought them late last year.

Sometimes, yes, but the single disc versions are identical in content, or should be. And yes, artwork on newer ones can be different since now they do rental packaging, but in the old days they did not. It may actually be BB corporate that does that and not the studios. I noticed that the Pirates IV I rented over the weekend had a non-descript generic cover with no info (not even a runtime which irritated me since sometimes I rent based on the time I have to dedicate to a movie that evening).

That is just how Sky High is. Mine acts like yours, but is the full retail version. I bought the only copy at one of my semi-local (local to work) stores at the 1st of that last great sale when Dish Network was thinning out the old stock. It came complete with the original artwork etc. They acquired it back when stores would only purchase a copy or two of each title since they were expensive and there was no rental sales channel or packaging. I still don't know why they sold all of these older Disney titles. It was probably because no one was renting them and Dish flagged them as inventory not being rented and they could make more $ selling them to me. I picked up quite a few older marginal titles at that store and some more at my local store. Their loss, my gain since all of them are worth more on the open market than I paid.

Your Secretariat should be the same as mine. I bought mine used, but it is the full retail 2-disc with DVD version and the BD does have some bonus features. Also it should play fine. I haven't watched it all the way through (which is the case of probably 95-99% of my collection) but got sucked into the first hour or so this evening when I should be watching Castle and H50 (and that's your fault BTW ;-). Anyhow loaded up and played fine for me.

Now I'm watching the 1st part of BttF III and it loaded and played fine also. So for those of your lurking out there (you know who you are), you do indeed have a bad disc.
post #12583 of 13743 Old 10-25-2011, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to know Sky High is the same either way. Personally I wasn't bothered by it auto-replaying...but it was a curiosity so I thought surely that was different.

I haven't checked my Secretariat for just the reason you said... figuring it would be one of those movies that would suck me into it and I wasn't ready to watch it yet.

I almost watched Hawaii 5-0, because of the NCIS: LA tie-in... but decided to pass. I have WAY too many shows to watch, so I don't want to accidentally get sucked into another show.

Meanwhile, deciding what next to watch tonight.

Tomorrow I should be getting Captain America... and hopefully it will be ok since no issues with those studios lately... Would like to get Jurassic Park, but can't fit it in the budget.

post #12584 of 13743 Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to know Sky High is the same either way. Personally I wasn't bothered by it auto-replaying...but it was a curiosity so I thought surely that was different.

I haven't checked my Secretariat for just the reason you said... figuring it would be one of those movies that would suck me into it and I wasn't ready to watch it yet.

I almost watched Hawaii 5-0, because of the NCIS: LA tie-in... but decided to pass. I have WAY too many shows to watch, so I don't want to accidentally get sucked into another show.

Meanwhile, deciding what next to watch tonight.

Tomorrow I should be getting Captain America... and hopefully it will be ok since no issues with those studios lately... Would like to get Jurassic Park, but can't fit it in the budget.

Ya, some of the older BDs are that way. I have several, Yes Man is another, but that is WB but similar in how it acts (many older WBs are that way). They don't go to a menu but start the movie automatically and may or may not force you to watch previews or allow you to skip all or them one by one. If you want the menu you have to use the title/pop-up menu button. I did not know that they restarted, but that makes sense since the others return to the menu.

And yes, major suck(-in) factor on Secretariat. John Malkovitch is rather good in that one and I generally like movies he is in. Scary to think that he might be in person much like he is on the screen. I tend to like quirky characters and actors.

Fortunately there is not much on tonight other than baseball which puts me to sleep, so I can get caught up on Monday shows. I average 25+ hours of during the week recording and an additional 6+ on Sundays depending on what is on broadcast, cable and premium. Good thing I have a decent DVR and semi-automatic commercial skip to cut down on viewing time. I also have to watch 2-3 shows on On Demand since I can only record two programs at a time (which is a good thing or I would spend ALL my time on the couch in front of the tube).

I'm not at all interested in CA. I saw it in the theaters, but not a movie I want to own. And I hear you on JP. I feel that $50 for 3 movies (one great one, one that is ok and one that is pretty bad - Lost World) is a bit much so I am waiting until they are available separately or I can pick up ex-rentals (if there is such a thing) or just wait until the set is $20 used somewhere.

Don't forget about Winnie the Pooh that releases today also. I will have to get that one eventually since both my wife and daughter are way into that sort of thing and I secretly have to confess that I don't mind it either. I am waiting today for reports from folks that are trying to get the best deal to decide where I am going to pick it up at. TrU seems to be the place, but many retailers are being silent on what the price is going to be when the doors open today. I think that Disney might have a new strategy on movie sales? Gone are the days of the $5-10 release day deals at TrU and other places like I got on many movies last year.
post #12585 of 13743 Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Don't forget about Winnie the Pooh that releases today also. I will have to get that one eventually since both my wife and daughter are way into that sort of thing and I secretly have to confess that I don't mind it either. I am waiting today for reports from folks that are trying to get the best deal to decide where I am going to pick it up at. TrU seems to be the place, but many retailers are being silent on what the price is going to be when the doors open today. I think that Disney might have a new strategy on movie sales? Gone are the days of the $5-10 release day deals at TrU and other places like I got on many movies last year.

One thing I have seen is that DisneyMovieRewards usually has a $5 off coupon for their Blu-Ray releases, e.g. today's Winnie the Pooh. Shop around for a good price and most retailers also accept these coupons.

One gotcha I have found with their coupons: 1) the Chrome Browser is incompatible, 2) it will consistently crash with Firefox on a Mac running Snow Leopard (before printing the coupon), so use Safari if you are on a Mac :-) You only get a limited number of print attempts (it increments that count at the START of a printing session, not upon completion).

$5 here and there starts adding up over time...
Mike

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #12586 of 13743 Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And yes, major suck(-in) factor on Secretariat. John Malkovitch is rather good in that one and I generally like movies he is in. Scary to think that he might be in person much like he is on the screen. I tend to like quirky characters and actors.

Yeah... Malkovitch is usually good, though you kind of know how he is going to be once you've seen him before. While I do like some of the leading men/ladies, I honestly look more forward to some of the really good character actors in movies. I tend to look forward to their performances more.

Quote:

Don't forget about Winnie the Pooh that releases today also. I will have to get that one eventually since both my wife and daughter are way into that sort of thing and I secretly have to confess that I don't mind it either.

I was never a fan of Winnie the Pooh. I appreciate that he is a popular character... but I just never got into him... so thankfully for me here is a Disney release I can ignore

post #12587 of 13743 Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

One thing I have seen is that DisneyMovieRewards usually has a $5 off coupon for their Blu-Ray releases, e.g. today's Winnie the Pooh. Shop around for a good price and most retailers also accept these coupons.

One gotcha I have found with their coupons: 1) the Chrome Browser is incompatible, 2) it will consistently crash with Firefox on a Mac running Snow Leopard (before printing the coupon), so use Safari if you are on a Mac :-) You only get a limited number of print attempts (it increments that count at the START of a printing session, not upon completion).

$5 here and there starts adding up over time...
Mike

Ya, I used the Disney Movie Rewards coupon for $5 off at Target. They had the best price and took the coupon on the 2-disc even-though it is supposed to be only used on the 3-disc (they were out of those anyway and I grabbed the last 2-disc that the Target near where I was this afternoon had). TrU had it at an obscene $30, though they do have some deals going but it's a better deal at Target (under $17 including tax out the door, not as good as the Amazon deal on the 3-disc if you happened to pre-order with the $7 off coupon, but more than a buck off sans the digital copy).
post #12588 of 13743 Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Pooh, but no poo here, he loads and plays just fine with both the DVD and the BD.
post #12589 of 13743 Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

For the record... Captain America (Blu) played fine without any issues last night. I also watched X-Men First Class which we already knew worked... but now I'm caught up on the recent super-hero movies I think.

post #12590 of 13743 Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Scream 2, Red State and the BD from the Pink Floyd Immersion box set all loaded and played fine. Also the 2 DVDs from the PF set also load and play fine. Just in case you care, or were wondering.

Also, the other day I finished watching Secretariat and it played without any difficulty.
post #12591 of 13743 Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Picked up a few more Blockbuster deals recently...

Last night I watched Stargate: Ark of Truth and it played without any issues.

post #12592 of 13743 Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Picked up a few more Blockbuster deals recently...

Last night I watched Stargate: Ark of Truth and it played without any issues.

I verified the Stargate movies ages ago, all 4 of them, that are on BD (Ark... Continuum and both versions [actually there are 3] of the original movie)

Anyhow, I have an extra copy of Continuum if you or anyone else is interested. I ordered the new version of the original movie used online a while back and that is what they sent me.
post #12593 of 13743 Old 11-05-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

A mixed bag this weekend. 1st I watched Footloose. It loaded and played, but had multiple issues since this BB by mail copy was damaged and had many scratched and marks on it. Someone else will need to verify it all the way through since I won't be buying or watching that one anytime soon since I only rented it since we recently saw the remake in the theater.

Attack the Block loaded and played fine. Also I loaded and skipped through Scarface, which seems ok also. I tried it and Braveheart which are very long Universal and Paramount releases thinking I had another bad loader, but the problems with Footloose were damage to the disc.
post #12594 of 13743 Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Millers Crossing played fine for me on Sunday. I have to admit that I only watched about 1:10 of it since I had seen the film a couple times before and I really was not in the mood for yet more prohibition era gangster material now that Boardwalk Empire is back on HBO. Anyhow, I mostly rented it to see what the quality was etc. Looked and sounded great, however not a film I wish to own.

I traded it for 13, but I haven't had a chance to view it being backlogged on the DVR. It is one of those Starz/Anchor Bay releases in DD THD, so I'm wondering if it will have audio drop out issues. Everything else I wanted to trade for on Sunday was rented out; Water for Elephants and Atlas Shrugged the latter I hear is not that good, but I want to rent and watch it anyway. It was a toss-up between 13 and Horrible Bosses. I'm betting Horrible Bosses would have been a better choice.
post #12595 of 13743 Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is a new firmware update for the Samsung BD-UP5000 combo Blu-ray/HD-DVD player that includes fixes for all the movies that don't play and some improvements to the decoding and streaming of DTS-HD MA and Dolby Digital TrueHD audio.

Sincerely,

Mr. Kludge
post #12596 of 13743 Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is a new firmware update for the Samsung BD-UP5000 combo Blu-ray/HD-DVD player that includes fixes for all the movies that don't play and some improvements to the decoding and streaming of DTS-HD MA and Dolby Digital TrueHD audio.

Sincerely,

Mr. Kludge

I would like to join your petition to Santa :-) But I am not going to hold my breath.... For now I am restricted to DVD and HD-DVD on my BD-UP5000s.

Mike

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #12597 of 13743 Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

I would like to join your petition to Santa :-) But I am not going to hold my breath.... For now I am restricted to DVD and HD-DVD on my BD-UP5000s.

Mike

Sorry friend. If bd has gone out a new firmware will do nothing for you. Time for new loaders.
post #12598 of 13743 Old 11-19-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Droping one of my 5K's ( upstairs den ), how much should I ask for it? I'm turning the room back to a music and reading room.....to many damn TV's in the house...how did I allow this to happen?

tony4k
post #12599 of 13743 Old 11-19-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

Droping one of my 5K's ( upstairs den ), how much should I ask for it? I'm turning the room back to a music and reading room.....to many damn TV's in the house...how did I allow this to happen?

Around $100 including shipping seems to be a popular price these days for units missing one of; Manual, remote, or original box and packing. If you have the original box and everything else and the unit is mint and has no issues you can get more. Seems to be a crap shoot.

I'm looking for a few to harvest loaders, but I'm not willing to pay much for them. Prefer units that are missing stuff and have other problems like dead power supplies, main boards, front boards etc. Seems like most of the bargains lately either play BD and no HD or play HD and no BD. I have lucked out a time or two to find one that has hardly been used and had a problem other than the loader. That way you can at least get a little bit of time out of the loader before it eventually goes south, or as I like to say "tits up".
post #12600 of 13743 Old 11-20-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Thx.....I think I'm going to package it up with some movies.

tony4k
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page