BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 422 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #12631 of 13608 Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried the BR of Tora! Tora! Tora! w/1.6?
Any problems?
Thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12632 of 13608 Old 12-15-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Seeing your post reminded me that I forgot to report that The Debt played fine for me on Sunday.

Anyone tried The Help or The Rocketeer yet, both Disney released last Tuesday.
post #12633 of 13608 Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I didn't get either of those... But I started my Doctor Who series 6 without problems so far... I also bought Kung Fu Panda 2 but have not watched yet + bought some other things during Black Friday that I need to chek.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #12634 of 13608 Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

Has anyone tried the BR of Tora! Tora! Tora! w/1.6?
Any problems?
Thanks-

Yes it is in stores and it should not have issues, but you never know.
post #12635 of 13608 Old 12-17-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 438
my new one ($170.99 shipped) arrived and works perfectly; have tried 3 HD DVD's and 2 Blu rays, 1 DVD & 1 CD;

anyone know if Samsung will still fix my broken one, for a fee?

also bought a Toshiba HD-XA2, ($162.49 shipped) which should arrive Monday

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #12636 of 13608 Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

my new one ($170.99 shipped) arrived and works perfectly; have tried 3 HD DVD's and 2 Blu rays, 1 DVD & 1 CD;

Last time I checked they would still repair them for a flat ~$110 fee shipped to them (they pay return shipping). Cheeper to just buy one off eBay without remote and goodies to replace in full or rob components to fix your old one. You need to call and speak to Samsung service to get them to quote you. You should be able to call 1-800-samsung and ask the CSR to point you in the right direction.

I think the rate may vary depending on the issue? However if they are low on parts esp. the loader the cost may be more.
post #12637 of 13608 Old 12-18-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Black Christmas (the original) played fine for me today. Also when I was at BB trading in my mailer for Fright Night I picked up 3 more movies on the 3-fer $15 sale. The Last Song, Marly and Me and Crazy, Stupid Love all seem to load an play fine. I don't think I have ever had any of those in the player before. Watched Marly and Me on DVD and saw CSL in the theater. I might have rented The Last Song, but I remember watching it on OnDemand. I haven't tried Fright Night yet.
post #12638 of 13608 Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

No joy with Fright Night. See my post in the problem discs thread. Reporting to Samsung now.
post #12639 of 13608 Old 12-18-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I take it you mean the new Fright Night remake... And not the limited release of the original, correct?

post #12640 of 13608 Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
We had an audio glitch while watching Super 8 last weekend. I thought it might be the player, but the same issue has been reported by people w/ other players in the Super 8 thread in the BD disc forum.

During the school bus scene, while bitstreaming the lossless audio, the sound goes silent, and we hear only intermittent ticking. After about a minute of this, I tried to find a DD track, but the only one on the disc was the commentary. So, I rewound to the just before the problem, and then it played fine w/ the lossless track.

Doug
post #12641 of 13608 Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I take it you mean the new Fright Night remake... And not the limited release of the original, correct?

Yes, sorry about that. The original looks to be a very limited production run/import based on street prices at the moment AND was/is released by Twilight Time (whoever that is). I talking about the remake which is an odd beast since it is a DreamWorks movie, but released by Disney/Buena Vista/Touchstone. Fortunately the audio is DTS HD-MA 7.1 and not DDTHD (probably since it was mastered and released by Disney) so I had zero audio issues (that I could hear anyhow that late at night). As far as remakes goes it is pretty good. It was good enough that it kept me up and I did not sleep through it. I wanted to get it back this morning to get my queue going again before I put my account on hold before it bills again.
post #12642 of 13608 Old 12-19-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

We had an audio glitch while watching Super 8 last weekend. I thought it might be the player, but the same issue has been reported by people w/ other players in the Super 8 thread in the BD disc forum.

During the school bus scene, while bitstreaming the lossless audio, the sound goes silent, and we hear only intermittent ticking. After about a minute of this, I tried to find a DD track, but the only one on the disc was the commentary. So, I rewound to the just before the problem, and then it played fine w/ the lossless track.

Doug

It's DDTHD so that might be the issue. I haven't played mine all the way through since I already saw the flick in the theater. Only reason I have it is because the Monster-in-law is giving my brother-in-law the DVD for Christmas and I was able to get the combo for cheep (as in free since the case arrived damaged and it was missing the digital copy code and the slip cover). Anyhow I spot checked it and it seemed fine (even in high action scenes). Only issue I had was the DVD sharpness and noise reduction set to medium since I had been watching DVD-r/w rips of SAMCRO at the time and I had some strange video artifacts. I had noticed this same thing with Super 8 on one of my new units that I remembered at the time came to me with those options set also. It was also set to 60fps. When I changed it to 24fps the issues went away so I thought it was the cable or possible something funky with the unit or 60fps mode. Apparently if you have those options on it can affect the BD playback quality, which I did not know. I went back for fun and checked and sure enough on any unit if I choose those options more often than not I will have strange flickering of the video in both 60fps and 24fps, but it is worst in 60fps if I remember right. I also had the issue with 3:10 to Yuma when testing my new units (the one that had those options set). That is one I always try since there were problems when it released and I ran into a copy that would not play without glitches on my original player with original loader.

You say school bus scene. ~where in the movie is that, a time stamp would be good. I would like to check it out. Gotta work on reboxing both the DVD and BD this week anyhow.
post #12643 of 13608 Old 12-19-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Doug

Yup, at 1:24:11 there is an audio drop, followed by another at 1:24:13 then the bitstream sync goes all to crap, but I found that you can quickly hit pause after the 2nd blip then play and it continues fine from there. This is the issue just like on season one of The Walking Dead and the problems with How To Train Your Dragon and some other movies (all the Shreks?). Odd that gunshots tend to cause this, that is what triggers it on TWD as well. On HtTYD it is explosions that sound kinda like gunshots. I think someone reported that Transformers 3 'Bark at the Moon' also has issues with this

Changing to PCM and having the player decode the DDTHD seems to alleviate the problem as with all the others.
post #12644 of 13608 Old 12-25-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

Sons of Anarchy season 1 discs 1 and 2 played fine for me the other days(s) and yesterday Rubber played fine. I'm not sure that is a good or bad. Good that it is only a ~80 min. movie. Interesting and very odd, I thought the very end was the best thing about the movie (don't want to spoil it, but from the transformation until the end credits). Also I watched Rare Exports last night, but on DVD since I have not been able to source the BD yet. That is a great movie and I look forward to next year when I WILL watch it on BD.
post #12645 of 13608 Old 12-25-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Have any of you considered unloading any of your now out-of-print Disney BDs? I was shocked to find out today that Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Fantasia are now out of print and fetching upwards of $50+ even used. I just opened my replacement Fantasia (my original had wrinkled plastic on the case and was exchanged after I verified it would play) late Friday night since Disney was running a double points deal on Movie Rewards. Even-though I got 500 points, I'm regretting opening it. Also got double points for Tangled 3D pack. There was a limit of 2 combo pack double points, but I entered several since there is a 10 title limit and I put a bunch in the day before and went over (been stacking up over the years). I was shocked that WOW only got me 75 points. That was so far the most expensive Disney BD I have ever bought and has fetched the least amount of Disney Rewards Points.

Anyhow. Wishing now that I had bought more of the "classic" Disney movies on BD when I got them for next to nothing and not sold the extras that I purchased when first out. I generally buy a couple three extra of them and resale to pay for my copy.
post #12646 of 13608 Old 12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Glory plays fine, but not BD Live; will try Snow White

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #12647 of 13608 Old 12-25-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Finished the sixth series Doctor Who yesterday without any issues.

I got the Disney WOW disc as a Disney Movie Rewards redemption, so didn't mind it had low points value, but I would have been mad if I had bought it at retail.

post #12648 of 13608 Old 12-25-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

wow what a great deal on a XA2. I picked up a onkyo hd805 which is the last HD-DVD player that was made with any note and have to say it's a keeper. I also own 2 5K's, a LG dual format computer drive, and a x-box 360 add on.

tony4k
post #12649 of 13608 Old 12-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5K for sale in San Jose Ca area...
post #12650 of 13608 Old 12-25-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

thought it was a great deal on both...want an Onkyo HD805 so bad...Snow White played fine, on the 3d try.
1st time green & blue snowy screens, 2d time locked up at the audio menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

wow what a great deal on a XA2. I picked up a onkyo hd805 which is the last HD-DVD player that was made with any note and have to say it's a keeper. I also own 2 5K's, a LG dual format computer drive, and a x-box 360 add on.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #12651 of 13608 Old 12-26-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thought it was a great deal on both...want an Onkyo HD805 so bad...Snow White played fine, on the 3d try.

Are you referring to Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on BD? I just tried it since it has been ages since I have played that. Only problem I had was that on the 1st load the Snow White banner and menu did not show up on the right side of the magic mirror on the 1st load. It acted kinda like Pirates of the... 3 at the worlds... acted before fixed with 1.6 with the dude telling you endlessly to select something. I hit stop then menu and that time it loaded ok. I was unable to reproduce this despite 2 persistent memory formats and a system restore/cold start. Every time I play it now it is fine. I thought I had found another bad disc under 1.6, but nope, it's fine. However the DVD will not load and is rejected like many other Disney DVDs. I also checked out Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio just for grins. Everything with those including bonus discs and DVDs are fine.

If you are having trouble like that your player/loader may be jacked. It's not normal to have to load a disc that many times to get it to play. Also I tried the audio menu on all 3 movies and nothing bad happened.

I did notice one strange thing. After you play Snow White and stop it or eject it the Samsung background screen is gone from the player until you power cycle it. It gives a much different look and feel to the screen while loading movies. Haven't ever noticed this before.

Did you get your new player "NEW" for $170? if so that was a great deal, if it was used then you paid ~$100 too much. I have purchased several recently for <$100 including shipping.

Also make sure you are running 1.6, but I doubt that is your issue.
post #12652 of 13608 Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Water for Elephants played flawlessly for me last evening. The Star Wars Holiday Special on DVD had some issues here and there. I either had a bad blank or bounced the laptop around too much while burning and it did not pass a verify after burn and had several skips and freezes throughout the movie. It was fun to find a much higher quality ISO than I had before complete with a riff trax commentary included and the original commercials shown when it aired.

Also, I almost forgot, A Christmas Story on HD-DVD played flawlessly last evening also. It's been played for the last 3 years in a row, so I knew it would be ok, but just had to share.
post #12653 of 13608 Old 12-26-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, Disney's Snow White, when it hung up on Audio, I had the guy endlessly asking me to select something...no, it's USED, guess I paid too much, but I THOUGHT it was a good deal; don't know my way around e-bay

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #12654 of 13608 Old 12-26-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, Disney's Snow White, when it hung up on Audio, I had the guy endlessly asking me to select something...no, it's USED, guess I paid too much, but I THOUGHT it was a good deal; don't know my way around e-bay

There might be something about Snow White that with 1.6 the 1st time you play it that it has issues then after that it is fine? I can't explain why after a memory wipe and cold start that I was unable to reproduce. One of the many mysteries of this player.

You didn't get too bad of a deal. They certainly go for that and higher on occasion. I just don't buy them unless they are a very good deal. If I were in a position where I only had one and it broke and that's what I could find then I would do the same thing, esp. if it was in mint shape with everything and works well.
post #12655 of 13608 Old 12-26-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

one on ebay now for $99.99 with no extras; got remote, quick start guide, orginal (worthless) cable and owner's manual (didn't have one)

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #12656 of 13608 Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

It's DDTHD so that might be the issue.... I also had the issue with 3:10 to Yuma when testing my new units (the one that had those options set). That is one I always try since there were problems when it released and I ran into a copy that would not play without glitches on my original player with original loader....

As I recall, 3:10 to Yuma was one of the few releases specifically mentioned as being a reason for one of the firmware updates.
post #12657 of 13608 Old 12-26-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

As I recall, 3:10 to Yuma was one of the few releases specifically mentioned as being a reason for one of the firmware updates.

Yes, specifically ver1.0 which released Jan 17, 2008 only 9 days after 3:10 to Yuma release if I recall right. Either that or it was Ver1.1 on Feb. 29, but I recall it being fixed quite soon, not like the NEVER we see now.

I need to remember to report Snow White DVD as not loading, but it's not on my priority list at the moment.
post #12658 of 13608 Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

the 805 is a xa2 clone with master audio and a little better PQ, but pretty much the same unit under the hood. however, they show up on ebay and
amazon every now and then.

tony4k
post #12659 of 13608 Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

the 805 is a xa2 clone with master audio and a little better PQ, but pretty much the same unit under the hood. however, they show up on ebay and
amazon every now and then.

Though the Onk is supposed to have better PQ and SQ (debatable on the PQ) it comes with a cheep plastic remote and lacks the Reon picture adjustment button. Course I'm sure if you have a Harmony that would not be an issue. And no the Onk is not a "clone" but was OEMed by Tosh for Onk AfaIK.
post #12660 of 13608 Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Anyone tried O Brother Where Art Thou?

I don't think anyone has reported on this one. Loaded up and currently playing without trouble, which is good since I want to own it. It came as a surprise in the mail from Blockbuster, was "very long wait" but must have become available at the right time.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page