BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 425 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #12721 of 13694 Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGator56 View Post

I'll have to pick some up. I think these are just CD-R. Not sure of the brand as it doesn't say.

Before you go to that trouble make sure that you are ending up with a CD-r with the following file in the root of the disc: 100601_01_UP5000_XAA.RUF if you still have the .ISO extension on the file when burned to the disc it won't work.I am ending up with a disc named FW and then that single file in the root of the disc. Kinda hard to tell without an actual disc to write on. I get that result both if I mount the ISO to my mac or I burn a disk image with Toast and then mount it (essentially the same thing, just an extra step to simulate the writing of the disc).

Also I'm not sure about the ISO burning software you are using for this. Maybe someone else out there can give you some pointers. Neither of those names rings a bell, but you would think they both would work. I remember my Tosh A-35 only liking discs that I burned with Apple Disc Utility and ones made with Toast would not work (I normally use Toast and my first attempt failed to yield a disc that would update the player). I haven't seen where the Sammy 5K is all that picky about the ISO burning software you use as long as it is done properly. Also all the other players (LG, Sony etc.) that I have updated seem to work with either program also.

There must be some trick to getting it to work properly from a PC since if I recall right in 2010 when 1.5 and 1.6 came out a bunch of folks here requested update discs from Sammy that had the .ISO file just written to the disc (as data) and they did not work either. Those that could not burn a disc themselves and got further burned by Sammy (sorry couldn't help myself) with bad discs contacted me and I made them discs that did work. I recall one person needing a CD-r/w after I sent them a CD-r that did not take.

If you search/browse this thread back a couple years or so Vinnie posted pointers/instructions on how to burn the discs from a PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 13694 Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Did someone call?

Yea, the guide Kludge recommended is on page 2 of this subforum (may differ depending on your particular forum settings). When I still owned the player, ImgBurn always did the trick. The other two mentioned should work fine (PowerISO rings a bell), but for the intent and purpose of my guide, ImgBurn is the freeware of choice. Here's a direct link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1034676
post #12723 of 13694 Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 472
mine would NOT play a NEW Dukes of Hazzard HD DVD, but it would NOT play on my Toshiba HD XA2, either

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #12724 of 13694 Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^New for you, but not new by any means. Could this be another victim of Warner's disc rot?
post #12725 of 13694 Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

mine would NOT play a NEW Dukes of Hazzard HD DVD, but it would NOT play on my Toshiba HD XA2, either

I don't think I own that one, or want to. I will have to check the shelves. Anyhow, is it one of the web enabled titles? If so disconnect/disable the Internet connection on the Ethernet port and try again. Also if it is a Combo disk that has been an issue for some folks (some of those had poor manufacturing quality). Take a look at the disc and if there is a haze use some glasses cleaner from Sam's club or the like to remove the haze and grime, but usually that does not prevent loading and playing but just causes skipping, pausing and pixillation.
post #12726 of 13694 Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried The Lady and the Tramp yet? Normally I run out and buy the classic Disney's the day they release on the deals and coupons, but since I was traveling this week I did not get the chance.
post #12727 of 13694 Old 02-10-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm having problems w/ the Star Trek The Next Generation sampler disc. After the CBS logo, the 5k (FW v1.6) keeps scrolling "Slide Show" on its display window, and nothing loads. I can't skip, FF, or press Play or the menu buttons.

However, if I press Stop twice, then press Info, select Title 1 (I think - need to try it again and will update if this is wrong) and press Play, it goes to the main menu. Everything works fine from there. Very frustrating...

The sister player LG BH200 has no problems loading this disc.

Doug
post #12728 of 13694 Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I'm having problems w/ the Star Trek The Next Generation sampler disc. After the CBS logo, the 5k (FW v1.6) keeps scrolling "Slide Show" on its display window, and nothing loads. I can't skip, FF, or press Play or the menu buttons.

However, if I press Stop twice, then press Info, select Title 1 (I think - need to try it again and will update if this is wrong) and press Play, it goes to the main menu. Everything works fine from there. Very frustrating...

The sister player LG BH200 has no problems loading this disc.

Doug

Did you try hitting stop twice then disc menu. I assume that would work also since it is the fix for a couple others that have issues like that (Akira).

I have ran into a few Paramount titles that require the disc to be loaded once or twice before they will load up fully. Also had to do a cold start and/or format persistent memory to get one or two to load.
post #12729 of 13694 Old 02-11-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Did you try hitting stop twice then disc menu. I assume that would work also since it is the fix for a couple others that have issues like that (Akira).

I have ran into a few Paramount titles that require the disc to be loaded once or twice before they will load up fully. Also had to do a cold start and/or format persistent memory to get one or two to load.

Hi Mr. K. Yes, I remembered that solution you posted for other discs, and it's what prompted me to try the Stop-Stop solution. I just tried it again, and Stop-Stop-Disc Menu also works. And, of course, it's much easier than Stop-Stop-Info-Title Select-Enter!

Doug
post #12730 of 13694 Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

mine won't play Cars 2

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #12731 of 13694 Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

mine won't play Cars 2

Have you tried going back to firmware 1.4? Recent Disney titles won't run on 1.5 or 1.6. I don't recall offhand about Disney/Pixar titles (and I can't test at this time as both my units are having problems with the B-D part of the loader :-( So I'm using other manufacturers for B-D discs.

The BD-UP5000 is very useful in that it DOES allow you to revert to earlier firmware.
Several other manufacturers do not allow this flexibility :-(

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #12732 of 13694 Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mine won't play Cars 2

BD or DVD? If you are getting stuck at the Disney Castle with BD, hit stop then disc menu. If it won't stop you have to play running firmware update 1.4 as suggested. If DVD and it rejects it you also have to downgrade to 1.4. I haven't checked out Cars 2 as seeing it in the movie theater for free was good enough for me. I might get it out of the Red Box for free one of these days to verify and report the issue to Sammy.
post #12733 of 13694 Old 02-11-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

Have you tried going back to firmware 1.4? Recent Disney titles won't run on 1.5 or 1.6. I don't recall offhand about Disney/Pixar titles (and I can't test at this time as both my units are having problems with the B-D part of the loader :-( So I'm using other manufacturers for B-D discs.

The BD-UP5000 is very useful in that it DOES allow you to revert to earlier firmware.
Several other manufacturers do not allow this flexibility :-(

The Incredibles is Pixar and one that will not play with 1.6, requires 1.4. That's the only Pixar I have ran into yet that either gets stuck fully or you have to stop then hit menu at the Disney Castle screen. Sounds like Cars 2 could be another troublesome one. I'm surprised that no one has complained about it, but perhaps no one else has tried?
post #12734 of 13694 Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Hi Mr. K. Yes, I remembered that solution you posted for other discs, and it's what prompted me to try the Stop-Stop solution. I just tried it again, and Stop-Stop-Disc Menu also works. And, of course, it's much easier than Stop-Stop-Info-Title Select-Enter!

Doug

Ok, good to know the workaround works for that one. I doubt I will ever buy/rent that one. All the Star Trek franchises are on Amazon prime streaming and some in HD and given the SQ and PQ at the time they were made that is good enough for me. That is if I ever get around to watching them. I have seen every STOS episode multiple times, most of STtNG, but missed many and haven't seen any DS9 or Voyager and have only seen snippets of Enterprise. I do own all the movies on BD in both the box sets. I have seen all the STOS based movies (some more than once) but have not seen any of the STtNG based ones yet.

I know many are excited and patiently waiting for STtNG on BD, but aren't they all 1:33. How is the PQ/SQ of the sampler/The Next Level?
post #12735 of 13694 Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The Burning Plain, a very good movie I might add, loaded and played without any issues earlier today. I swapped for the most recent remake of The Thing to watch next and also picked up Lady and the Tramp and Twilight New Dawn Pt I at Toys-R-Us today. Grand Canyon and Serendipity (two of my favorite movies) are on the way in the mail. I am wading through a ton of TV from this week that has stacked up before I check out the new purchases and watch The Thing. Nervous about Lady and the Tramp since just about all of the recent Disney's have issues. Holding of on The Rocketeer for that reason, since it is still expensive (for me) even-though I have players that are running 1.4 for that issue.

Anyone check out Drive yet. It's Sony so it should be ok. I have read/heard that the PQ/SQ is fantastic on that one. It's on my buy list. My son and I loved that movie, too bad it only got one nomination for a tiny naked statue guy.
post #12736 of 13694 Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Anybody in here imported anything from the UK in 1080i/50? I ask because I have considered picking up their Blu-ray of "An Idiot Abroad" but have read that it is a 1080i/50hz encode.

I've been getting mixed messages as to what Samsung players and Samsung HDTVs do... and wasn't sure if it would be playable with the equipment I have.

The Blu-rays I have imported from the UK have worked... but I think the ones I have imported have been 1080p or 1080i/60 encodes thus far.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #12737 of 13694 Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Anybody in here imported anything from the UK in 1080i/50? I ask because I have considered picking up their Blu-ray of "An Idiot Abroad" but have read that it is a 1080i/50hz encode.

I've been getting mixed messages as to what Samsung players and Samsung HDTVs do... and wasn't sure if it would be playable with the equipment I have.

The Blu-rays I have imported from the UK have worked... but I think the ones I have imported have been 1080p or 1080i/60 encodes thus far.

The 5K will likely reject those and/or choke and die on them. If it does play you will probably have issues with your TV unless you are in the UK. I think the LG BH200 can be hacked to deal with these and also there are hacks for the various Oppos?

Your best bet to watch this show is with Amazon streaming with a Roku or other capable STB, HDP player or TV. Series one is $12.99 for all 8 episodes in SD and new episodes are $2.99 in HD ($1.99 in SD) (and you own them, they are not rentals or one time prime streams). I would think that streaming would be completely adequate for a show like that (heavy on dialogue and not much action) and would be way more economical than importing a $50+ box set for only like 16 episode, that might not play. I did not check Netflix for this one. If it were me I would wait for it to air on BBC America or just download them.
post #12738 of 13694 Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been watching them on the Science Channel... so no problems there... It just doesn't look like the US is going to get a Blu-ray release so I figured if I wanted to buy them I would have to look at the UK import as an option.

post #12739 of 13694 Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been watching them on the Science Channel... so no problems there... It just doesn't look like the US is going to get a Blu-ray release so I figured if I wanted to buy them I would have to look at the UK import as an option.

Oh, nice. I did not think to check other channels on my online Xfinity guide. Looks like series 2 is available on demand.
post #12740 of 13694 Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a show I'm waiting for a deal on to purchase anyway... but I've been getting mixed signals trying to research online regarding Samsung players and support for 1080i50 signals.

post #12741 of 13694 Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know many are excited and patiently waiting for STtNG on BD, but aren't they all 1:33. How is the PQ/SQ of the sampler/The Next Level?

Yes; the BDs will be 1.33:1, which is how the show was originally composed.

The PQ/SQ on the sampler is amazing - miles ahead of the old SD. Check out the threads here and on other forums for details - that is, if you can filter out the adolescent bickering!

Doug
post #12742 of 13694 Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Picked up a few cheap movies at Best Buy... (Awakenings, Chicago, Cold Mountain, Red State)... boy I need to get caught up on my DVR so I can go back to watching and testing Blu-rays again.

post #12743 of 13694 Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BD or DVD? If you are getting stuck at the Disney Castle with BD, hit stop then disc menu. If it won't stop you have to play running firmware update 1.4 as suggested. If DVD and it rejects it you also have to downgrade to 1.4. I haven't checked out Cars 2 as seeing it in the movie theater for free was good enough for me. I might get it out of the Red Box for free one of these days to verify and report the issue to Sammy.

Blu ray, I've got 4 other Blu ray players (2 Samsung, 1 LG and one on a PC) that will play it and twin sons soon to be 6 year old boys who love to watch it

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #12744 of 13694 Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blu ray, I've got 4 other Blu ray players (2 Samsung, 1 LG and one on a PC) that will play it and twin sons soon to be 6 year old boys who love to watch it

Confirmed. I grabbed this out of the RedBox today. Will not play on 1.6. as you say gets stuck after language selection and you can't stop and hit menu. Seems to play fine running 1.4. I will get this reported. If you haven't already please call them/chat with them and get a trouble ticket/case id going. I need to call one of these days and update my case id with all these new ones we have found recently. I only have the BD and not the DVD so I can't verify of the DVD will load running 1.6 or not.
post #12745 of 13694 Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

On a positive note Lady and the Tramp loads and plays without issues on 1.6. I finally took a min. last evening to open one of my sets and check. However the DVD is rejected with the same old message we are used to seeing now with recent Disney DVDs. Odd with this one since the error goes away after the tray opens. I don't recall that happening with the others. It does load up on 1.4 no problem. I did not try the BD on 1.4, my guess is that it will play there also for those of you that have gone back to 1.4 due to these issues.
post #12746 of 13694 Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The latest remake of The Thing also loads and plays without issue. I finally got around to that one Monday evening. HDMe, I hear you. Traveling last week and other distractions and movies to watch this week has put me 17-18 hours worth (less without ads) behind on the DVR. Just now watching late night Monday shows.
post #12747 of 13694 Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Not a combo question exactly...

My father has been talking about finally getting a Blu-ray player. So I started thinking, he still has HD-DVDs too... and it would be more convenient for him to have a single player.

I'm leaning towards giving him the Samsung combo player and then getting me a new Blu-ray player since I can hook my old Toshiba HD-DVD player up to the stereo system if/when I need it.

Any thoughts on a good/cheap Blu-ray player? I'm not into 3D and my HDTV isn't quite compatible anyway. I don't need WiFi because I can run ethernet to where it will go.

I'm mainly most interested in making sure I get a player that can stream all the audio via HDMI and does not currently have any playback compatibility issues with newer movies like we have ran into on the Samsung.

Right now I'm leaning towards a $69.98 Sony Blu-ray player I saw at Sam's club.

post #12748 of 13694 Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

My father has been talking about finally getting a Blu-ray player. So I started thinking, he still has HD-DVDs too... and it would be more convenient for him to have a single player.

I'm leaning towards giving him the Samsung combo player and then getting me a new Blu-ray player since I can hook my old Toshiba HD-DVD player up to the stereo system if/when I need it.

Any thoughts on a good/cheap Blu-ray player? I'm not into 3D and my HDTV isn't quite compatible anyway. I don't need WiFi because I can run ethernet to where it will go.

I'm mainly most interested in making sure I get a player that can stream all the audio via HDMI and does not currently have any playback compatibility issues with newer movies like we have ran into on the Samsung.

Take a look at Panasonic DMP-BDT210. A little pricier but the load times are incredible. Very small form factor, and nice online services. I've seen it down in the $110 range
post #12749 of 13694 Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think you can go wrong with the cheep Sony players. They are updated constantly and Sony has a good rep for fixing issues and issuing updates plus I think they support all the major streaming options. At the price and the liberal return policy at Sam's you should be ok. Personally I would either buy online with my AmEx or at Costco since they take AmEx and you get the extended warranty through them. Also Costco will generally take anything back within the warranty period. I had an older Sony BDP-S300 that I gave to my daughter. It was big like the Sammy and built like a tank. When I gave it to them there was a very recent update out for it (it was early November it I remember right). I haven't checked lately, but my guess is there is yet another update out?

I got the Sony as a cheep open box deal through Crutchfield with Discover cash back and used to run it on our bedroom system paired with my a35 until I was able to find a LG BH200 to replace all that and an HDMI switchbox due to lack of any HDMI (only DVI) inputs on the old TV we had. It's still in the family so I might get it back some day.

I don't however know about the longevity of the newer players, or Sony for the matter, but I haven't heard of premature failures with those.

I used to be a major Sony fan back in the LP days and loved their turntables and ran several of those from low to semi-high end but always opted for other brands of other components since they were much cheeper. I think I did have a low end Sony cassette player/recorder way back when that was very good also.

Given Sammys track record of (NOT) keeping older players up today as often and the 5K not at all I would avoid those. I think Pioneer, Panasonic, and Toshiba have some decent offerings also, but my guess is they are less aggressive with updates than Sony? I think you want a player from a company that is releasing movies and has more skin in the BD game?
post #12750 of 13694 Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys...

Kludge nailed a couple of my thoughts on the head.

I like my Samsung, and wouldn't ditch it... My father and I talked, and he wanted a Blu-ray player but like me also has a bunch of HD-DVDs... and his HDTV has less connections than mine... so it would be more convenient for him to have the Samsung and let me have multiple players connected.

I ruled out a new Samsung on principle... as we have been discussing for seems like years now... Samsung hasn't won me over with their lack of response to recent playback issues. Fortunately, the affected movies so far aren't ones that my father owns or wants to own... so he may be ok without that playback capability for those movies.

I have a Sony turntable (not currently connected) and a nice Sony STR-DH800 audio receiver. My previous audio receiver was also a Sony, incidentally.

I have a PS2... my sister has had a PS, PS2, and now a PS3.

Like Kludge noted, I figure Sony still has a lot of skin in the game to support Blu-ray... so I figured even their "bottom of the line" players would get better firmware support.

I couldn't really find any bad Sony reviews... and we had to make a trip to Sam's tonight for some other stuff... so I picked up the BDP-BX18... basically same as the S185 except it also includes an HDMI cable in the box.

I'm looking forward to hooking it up and seeing some of my movies that I couldn't play in the Samsung! I'll still be keeping up with the Sammy, though, and testing movies now and then in it especially if they ever get around to any updates.

Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page