BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 426 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #12751 of 13678 Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Been twitting @Samsungsupport I won't get anywhere but it makes me feel better. They asked me what movies don't play. Shouldn't they know by now.

I wonder if I post a bunch of derogatory remarks if I will get any action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12752 of 13678 Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Been twitting @Samsungsupport I won't get anywhere but it makes me feel better. They asked me what movies don't play. Shouldn't they know by now.

I wonder if I post a bunch of derogatory remarks if I will get any action?

Well, they don't seem to listen very effectively to their users, so perhaps they don't listen very effectively internally.
post #12753 of 13678 Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Maybe we need reverse psychology...

Start tweeting and emailing things like "Thank you, Samsung, for being so responsive and promising to fix that issue by next week."

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #12754 of 13678 Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimple View Post

Take a look at Panasonic DMP-BDT210. A little pricier but the load times are incredible. Very small form factor, and nice online services. I've seen it down in the $110 range

I 100% agree with the panny 210. i went back to two player in my HT room and the 210 is for BD and my onkyo 805 is for hd-dvd. i still love my 5k's and both of them are still paired with two sammy tv's. one other reason, which is the main reason why i like the 210..is it's DLNA feature which works great for streaming my movies off my video server.

tony4k
post #12755 of 13678 Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

50/50 loaded and played just fine for me the other day. Not much time for movies recently but I do have high crimes that came in the mail from blockbuster and drive that I bought and came the other day. I'm waiting on the rocketeer, star trek the next generation: the next level and conspiracy theory on DVD since it is not on bd yet. I don't understand why it and another movie I can't think of right now is not out on bd.
post #12756 of 13678 Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The other movie I was trying to remember is the virgin suicides which isn't even listed with a release date pending. I am encouraged to see that both high road to china and definitely maybe both are upcoming releases.
post #12757 of 13678 Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone pick up Puss-n-boots yet? It is supposed to be 7.1 DDTHD so I am curious if it suffers from dropouts like the other Dreamworks DDTHD titles.
post #12758 of 13678 Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:

The other movie I was trying to remember is the virgin suicides which isn't even listed with a release date pending. I am encouraged to see that both high road to china and definitely maybe both are upcoming releases.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a European release of High Road to China DVD when I saw it was scheduled to come out here in B-D, FINALLY!
post #12759 of 13678 Old 02-26-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:

50/50 loaded and played just fine for me the other day. Not much time for movies recently but I do have high crimes that came in the mail from blockbuster and drive that I bought and came the other day. I'm waiting on the rocketeer, star trek the next generation: the next level and conspiracy theory on DVD since it is not on bd yet. I don't understand why it and another movie I can't think of right now is not out on bd.

Who knows what goes in the "alleged" minds of studio execs when they are deciding what to release and what not to. Sometimes there are disputes over who owns what rights, and over what they will charge for licensing rights. I know that quite a few TV show releases on DVD/B-D have been blocked because of high costs of licensing the music. Some shows have had altered soundtracks with substitute music, which sometimes greatly alters the show.

The owners of the music rights seem not to understand that they will earn nothing at all if the music is not licensed and also tick off the fans of the show in question.

The whole decision making process in the entertainment industry is bizarre, almost as bizarre as their accounting practices.
post #12760 of 13678 Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I'm having problems w/ the Star Trek The Next Generation sampler disc. After the CBS logo, the 5k (FW v1.6) keeps scrolling "Slide Show" on its display window, and nothing loads. I can't skip, FF, or press Play or the menu buttons.

However, if I press Stop twice, then press Info, select Title 1 (I think - need to try it again and will update if this is wrong) and press Play, it goes to the main menu. Everything works fine from there. Very frustrating...

The sister player LG BH200 has no problems loading this disc.

Doug

I can confirm this. I haven't played much with it, but I had to hit stop twice when stuck on slide show when loading then hit menu. I tried stop once then menu but it just stayed stuck in the slide show. I can't recall exactly, but this is just about how Akira acts and that one has never been fixed. I hope that when all the STtNG seasons are finally released that they don't have this or other problems. I have been convinced (by some of you here and elsewhere) that this will be a superior way over streaming to watch these. Not a bad workaround and you can play the disc so not a huge deal, just way annoying since other Paramount discs have not had issues, yet. This is CBS/Paramount, so maybe that makes a difference. I haven't had any of the STtOS discs on BD (only HD) in my hands so I don't know if those have issues or not. I've been too frugal to pick up seasons 2 and 3 to go with my HD set (which is still sealed and a UK import). I did get the season 1 HD-DVDs from the library way back when and watched some of them so I know the US HD-DVD release works.
post #12761 of 13678 Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tried a giant stack of recent acquisitions for load-ability and playability;
-Blue Velvet (MGM/Fox)
-Drive (Sony, no baloney except for about a million forced previews, come on Sony I bought the movie, let me skip the stupid previews).
-Grand Canyon (Starz/Anchor Bay/Fox and DDTHD a very odd duck combo of studios and audio codec)
-The Greatest (some odd small studio I don't remember)
-The Rocketeer (Disney)
-Serendipity (Lionsgate/Miramax)
All of the above loaded and spot played without any issues.
I may have reported on one or two of these and forgot. I have been too busy to stick them in the player over the past several weeks/months.
I also have several other stacks of new to me and new stuff, but I know most of it plays since I rented most of them before buying them.

I also tried STtNG:TNL but I already confirmed the issue with that one.
post #12762 of 13678 Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a European release of High Road to China DVD when I saw it was scheduled to come out here in B-D, FINALLY!

Just FYI I also noticed that the same studio is releasing the DVD on the same day. Not that it matters since we would all buy the BD, but I thought it decent of them to do so. I know a bunch of people that like that movie and were bummed to find out it was never released "officially" on DVD. The imports are bootlegs so I would stay away from those.
post #12763 of 13678 Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

Who knows what goes in the "alleged" minds of studio execs when they are deciding what to release and what not to. Sometimes there are disputes over who owns what rights, and over what they will charge for licensing rights. I know that quite a few TV show releases on DVD/B-D have been blocked because of high costs of licensing the music. Some shows have had altered soundtracks with substitute music, which sometimes greatly alters the show.

The owners of the music rights seem not to understand that they will earn nothing at all if the music is not licensed and also tick off the fans of the show in question.

The whole decision making process in the entertainment industry is bizarre, almost as bizarre as their accounting practices.

Yup. It happens a lot. If I remember right Freaks and Geeks was released on DVD without the original music or much of it changed. I might be thinking of another series, but I'm pretty sure it was the one. I think that is one of the things that has held that series up from being released on BD. Same for Arrested Development. Those are two along with Seinfield that I would like to see released in HD either streaming or on BD. I think all of those are broadcast now in HD, but I think only Seinfield has been modified for WS. I think Arrested might have been widescreen and possibly HD near the end? But know that F&G hasn't been improved. IFC or AMC or whoever airs those now just plays the old broadcast tapes or possibly the DVDs and up-coverts them. I think the PQ and SQ on my DVD set is better than what I see in HD on the TV of those.
post #12764 of 13678 Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I haven't had any of the STtOS discs on BD (only HD) in my hands so I don't know if those have issues or not. I've been too frugal to pick up seasons 2 and 3 to go with my HD set (which is still sealed and a UK import). I did get the season 1 HD-DVDs from the library way back when and watched some of them so I know the US HD-DVD release works.

I have all the ST TOS seasons on BD, and they all load without issue. It's only the TNG sampler (so far!) that has this problem.

Doug
post #12765 of 13678 Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi guys,
I haven't been here lately. Are we still on version 1.6??
Thanks-

By the way, no problem playing the BR Star War The Complete Saga. Wish I could say the same for my Dell 1555 laptop, although Dell has told me an updated replacement BR player/burner is on order and I should have it shortly. They've been great so far so maybe this will turn out well.
post #12766 of 13678 Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Since trading the Blu-rays around and switching myself over to the Sony, and my father using the Samsung... I haven't tested anything myself lately. I need to try a few.

Meanwhile, my father was watching "The Comancheros" earlier... we got some of the FOX Digibooks that were on sale at Amazon recently... so that was a new (old) movie we hadn't tried in the Samsung player before.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #12767 of 13678 Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

Hi guys,
I haven't been here lately. Are we still on version 1.6??
Thanks-

Yes, 1.6 unless you want to watch some Disney BD's. You need 1.4 for those.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #12768 of 13678 Old 03-04-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched high crimes last night without any issues at all. Even loaded pretty fast for a fox title but it is a way old pre avatar release. I missed that movie when it was 1st out. Have owned a sealed dvhs of it for years and never sourced an open copy and just now got around to renting the bd. I've had it holding up my bb queue for over a week. Only the cosmos knows what I will find to swap it for when I go visit the store.
post #12769 of 13678 Old 03-04-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson View Post

Yes, 1.6 unless you want to watch some Disney BD's. You need 1.4 for those.

Specifically; Bambi, tron legacy, the incedibles, the lion king, cars 2 and the remake of fright night. Most others there is a common workaround and there may be more I haven't tried that have issues, play fine in 1.4 and either have a workaround or don't work at all with 1.6. Almost all DVDs released by Disney in the past year+ also don't play with 1.6 and the new version of the lion king on DVD won't play with any release.
post #12770 of 13678 Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I keep forgetting to report that 30 minutes or less loaded and played without issue for me over the weekend. I always show up at bb late on the weekend after finally getting around to watching whatever came in the mail and usually the selection sucks. Anyhow that's the shortest movie I could find there on my list to watch. I didn't have a lot of time to watch movies having a full dvr and avoided.the many long movies I haven't seen yet.

The movie was ok but not great. Guess was not in the mood for that sort of humor. It did get a decent review on highdefdigest

True grit, the burning plain and daydream nation new to me also came in the mail yesterday but I have already rented all of those and know they play.
post #12771 of 13678 Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My son gave me a new Onkyo receiver. It does not list the Remote Control Code for the BD-UP5000. Its HD DVD codes are not for Onkyo players and it only lists one Blu Ray code for Samsung which doesn't work.

Anyone know if the 5000 has a BR/HD DVD code?
Would an Onkyo receiver recognize it if it doesn't list it?

I suspect not, but it is worth asking as I can't get the Onkyo to respond to the IR learning signal.
Not even sure if I can figure out how to enter it if it isn't on their list.

Thanks-
post #12772 of 13678 Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Survivors loaded and played fine, but after the 1st episode I was already bored out of my mind with the series. Besides the audio is only 2-ch DD (FTW) and the video was forced 60fps (probably a digital video and not a film based master). I have the MKVs on my MCPC (I.E. Mac PowerBook) anyhow and I think the audio is higher quality there anyhow.

I swapped it for Dream House since Puss In Boots, Tower Heist and In Time were all rented out and I was not in the mood for Margin Call, Atlas Shrugged, Larry Crowe, and several other movies that are on my 'rent'/watch on premium OnDemand list.

Has anyone tried Hugo yet? I have seen the flick in the theater in 3D. For free I might add, it was a critic screening. Loved the movie and want to own it, but I will wait until the price comes down.
post #12773 of 13678 Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

My son gave me a new Onkyo receiver. It does not list the Remote Control Code for the BD-UP5000. Its HD DVD codes are not for Onkyo players and it only lists one Blu Ray code for Samsung which doesn't work.

Anyone know if the 5000 has a BR/HD DVD code?
Would an Onkyo receiver recognize it if it doesn't list it?

I suspect not, but it is worth asking as I can't get the Onkyo to respond to the IR learning signal.
Not even sure if I can figure out how to enter it if it isn't on their list.

Thanks-

This all depends on the age of the AVR. Was it born before or after the 5K? If before it might lack the codes for the newer stuff. Have you checked the Onkyo site online? Often new codes are posted.

You can't get the Onkyo remote to go into learning mode? I'm not sure what you are asking there. If it has a learning mode, then you program the AVR remote by putting the remotes head to head and following a learning/recording procedure.

IF the Onkyo remote has any code for a Samsung BD player, then it should control the 5K. Samsung uses/used the same codes for all of their initial players. The newer ones might use different codes, but I assume that your AVR remote is older and includes the code that was used with the BD-P1000-BD-P1600 and possibly the BD-P25xx series?

You might try the respective forum(s) for your Onkyo AVR. If there are no codes for HD-DVD players that is a red flag that it is just too old to have the newer codes.

Seriously I recommend getting a Harmony remote. I know they are expensive, but well worth it. I don't know how I would function without mine. There are other decent advanced remotes out there also, but I don't see a reason to not just get one of the many Harmonys out there. I use the 670 it is old fashioned and not as fancy as the new ones, but controls 15 devices, which with the new ones you have to spend the big bucks to get one that controls that many devices. I have at least 10 devices I have to control, most of the cheep Harmony's these days only control 5-8 devices.
post #12774 of 13678 Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Dream House loaded and played without issues. It's a below average pedestrian movie that was almost completely predictable. Don't bother, unless you just have to see it.

Puss In Boots loaded up and played just fine, however it is riddled with the customary DDTHD dropouts we are now used to with later Dolby lossless releases. There is one right after when Humpty talks to the bean sprout, 2-3 when Puss rides the horse into the reddish/brown sand storm and another one when "Mother Goose" shows up. There are also many throughout the Three Amigos short. Actually things are much worse during that short. Probably a dozen or so dropouts in the 13 min. short. I recommend that you use PCM for this title (and any others that use DDTHD within the past couple years) for a better watching experience.

PnB and Hugo are the next on my to buy when I find cheep used copies list. I could have got Hugo out of the Redbox for free tonight, but since I have already seen it I opted for PnB. BTW the movie is really good to great. I enjoyed it quite a bit. As good or better than the 1st two Shrek movies. Plenty of great lines and gags without being gross and some pretty clever animation and scenes etc.
post #12775 of 13678 Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Hook loaded and played without any video issues, but I was getting the occasional echoey dialogue audio issue like I experienced with Mars Needs Moms. I'm not sure if it is the player, AVR or just bad mastering that is causing that. Those two movies are the only ones I have experienced this with. If I hit pause then play it goes away until the next scene or chapter change. I didn't try the mode auto function for my AVR. I was also not in the mood for the movie, so I returned it to the store and picked up The Decedents, which I have not watched yet. I also picked up Young Adult at the Red Box with a coupon code since BB is not carrying the BD, just the DVD. That is happening more often than not. Now that Comcast has released streaming and all the other streaming options I have now, it's probably time to switch over to Netflix for BDs since BB has a long lead time on new release new and catalog BDs and takes about twice as long to get a mailer to me than NF. Besides that if only DVDs are available I would just as well prefer to stream if I can't find a BD and am too lazy to download the MKV.

I will report on The Decedents and Young Adult once I watch them this weekend.
post #12776 of 13678 Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
OT: Where'd you get that Redbox coupon code (was it a one-time use?)? I've used the most well known (DVDONME, BREAKROOM and DVDATWAG) on almost all cards.
post #12777 of 13678 Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

OT: Where'd you get that Redbox coupon code (was it a one-time use?)? I've used the most well known (DVDONME, BREAKROOM and DVDATWAG) on almost all cards.

I used code 2VTHVKJ which was E-mailed to me yesterday and is good through tomorrow. It is only $.50 off, but better than nothing. It does not say it is unique. They usually E-mail me one of those almost every weekend and at least once a month I get a random "free" code via txt. I was going to use DVDATWAG since the Android app said that it was in my local Walgreens box, but turns out it was not so I went across the street to the 7-Eleven and used the $.50 off code. Thinking about it now I think I may have already used that code on all my active cards anyhow, except for maybe one Discover card? I have other cards, but don't want to bother paying all the $.32 bills that result. I do have a mastercard that I rarely use and if I have any charges under a dollar they write them off, so I use that every month with the free code to get it really for free. Once in a while I will use a $.50 or other code or deal to make up the difference with my bank.

New RedBox codes are hard to come by now that the service is widely used. I regularly check insideredbox.com for new ones.

Speaking of Young Adult. It loaded and played without problems. I didn't really find the movie as great as I thought it would be. Kinda a waste of time and money. I have liked other movies from the director like Juno and Up in the Air, but this one did not turn me on that much. It had good acting and writing, guess I just wasn't into it.
post #12778 of 13678 Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The Decedents loaded and played without issue. Also picked up Hugo and it also loads and plays fine. I haven't watched the entire movie yet.
post #12779 of 13678 Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yup, I know the site (it's how I found the 3 widely used codes...actually managed to use one of them on my newish debit card today). Thanks for the code. $0.32 charges are a drag...which bank writes off those charges under $1.00? I need to get in on that.
post #12780 of 13678 Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yup, I know the site (it's how I found the 3 widely used codes...actually managed to use one of them on my newish debit card today). Thanks for the code. $0.32 charges are a drag...which bank writes off those charges under $1.00? I need to get in on that.

Zions bank. I will need to look at my history. Can't remember if I have several small charges at redbox that add up to a dollar if they get charged. Seems like if I just have the .32 ones all is well. I got that mastercard since I was pissed at discover a while back and learnt that sams club takes it. I happend upon the charge offs by mistake when redbox and free codes came on the scene.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page