BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 427 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #12781 of 13682 Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hugo loaded and played fine, what I got to watch of it. I meant to finish it last night and got watching/doing other things. Today I watched most of the rest of it. I've seen it and just wanted to make sure it will play since I will buy cheep used copies of it and Puss In Boots IF and WHEN I see them or there is a dealeo online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 13682 Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried to play the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night but the 5000 wouldn't play it. It came up with the gray box and error 000001. I have firmware 1.6

I did the usual trick of restarting, cleaning, in/out, etc. but it produced the same result.

Has any body else seen this? (sorry, I've forgotten the link to the problem disk page).

Thanks,

Scott
post #12783 of 13682 Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post

I tried to play the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night but the 5000 wouldn't play it. It came up with the gray box and error 000001. I have firmware 1.6

I did the usual trick of restarting, cleaning, in/out, etc. but it produced the same result.

Has any body else seen this? (sorry, I've forgotten the link to the problem disk page).

Thanks,

Scott

US Remake on Sony or the original Swedish releases on Music Box? The remake came in the mail from Block Buster yesterday and I hadn't had time to try it yet so whew! you scared me. It loaded up and played just dandy for me on 1.6. It is also perfectly behaved with no audio blank outs after chapter skip, which is a bug I have with this player and my AVR. Of course I have not played the entire movie, I would be even more late for work if I had done that ;-)

I thought this odd since rarely if ever have there been issues with Sony titles and this player.

Also were you trying BD or DVD, of course I assume it was BD. There have been some reports of folks not being able to play the original franchise on BD on this player, but I have played them all (a couple of them multiple times) without any issues.I don't recall the resolution, but I sorta remember it being old firmware?

Based on this, I would double check you really are on 1.6 with all the correct loader/main board/front board firmware numbers, so a system reset/cold start (hold the >| button for more than 5 sec. or so with it on and no disc in it) and clear persistent memory in the system menu and try again. If you do all that and it still won't play then either you have a failing/failed loader or the particular disc you have is defective/damaged/suspect. At times the 5K, depending on your particular loader can be ultra sensitive to defects in discs that won't affect another 5K or other players. If other discs have/do play fine, then that is probably the case. I bet if you do a cold start that it will play, either that or clearing memory, but I have never ran into that issue with Sony. Back in the day if you tried to play a Paramount or Universal title that required 1.4 with 1.3 you sometimes had to clear the memory before it would play under 1.4. That could be a factor here with 1.6?

You also want to inspect the disc under bright light, with your reading glasses if you require them, and make double sure the entire disc is clean, free of fingerprint and has no smudges, scratches, scuffs or dust. If it came in a flimsy mailer from BB or NF often discs can become damaged. With the ultra warm weather almost everyone has been experiencing there is also a possibility of heat damage. I have had that happen a couple times with mailers that have sat around in the heat in the mailbox or elsewhere in the delivery chain. My mailer for this one came damaged, but the sleeve and disc look fine.
post #12784 of 13682 Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Yes, it is the BluRay version that won't play. The DVD that is also in the box plays fine.

I did confirm that I have 1.6 firmware. I also looked at the BluRay disk and I don't see any scratches.

According to the info, the disk that I have is a BD/UV disk. It came in the 3-disk box, so the disks appear to be protected and there's no obvious damage.

Thanks,

Scott
post #12785 of 13682 Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it is the BluRay version that won't play. The DVD that is also in the box plays fine.

I did confirm that I have 1.6 firmware. I also looked at the BluRay disk and I don't see any scratches.

According to the info, the disk that I have is a BD/UV disk. It came in the 3-disk box, so the disks appear to be protected and there's no obvious damage.

Thanks,

Scott

Odd. According to the info I have you should have a bd, a dvd and a uv disc. Maybe things are misslabled and you are trying to play the uv disc which should cause an error and not play? There is a possibility that the retail and rental discs are differrnt, but I doubt that. I don't recall there being any previews on the rental o have. I will look later at the disc and see but I bet that what you have and the rental I have are the same. You could return it for a different copy and try that.
post #12786 of 13682 Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news and bad. The Muppets loads and plays fine (yea!) but the included DVD get spit out with the now common bulls*it about this disc can't be played please check your TV system.
post #12787 of 13682 Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The US remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo played with no issues what so ever.
post #12788 of 13682 Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

post #12789 of 13682 Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Remind me (I forget sometimes) if there are things needed to test to verify... I'm so spoiled now that my new Sony is playing everything, that I forget to go and test in the other room on my now-my-father's Samsung.

I was so happy to have the Sony and be able to watch movies that I watched some like Incredibles and Superman/Batman Apocalypse and joined the Disney Movie Club to pick up Disney movies I hadn't been buying since I couldn't watch them on my Samsung...

but I still want to keep tabs since the Samsung is otherwise good.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #12790 of 13682 Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Remind me (I forget sometimes) if there are things needed to test to verify... I'm so spoiled now that my new Sony is playing everything, that I forget to go and test in the other room on my now-my-father's Samsung.

I was so happy to have the Sony and be able to watch movies that I watched some like Incredibles and Superman/Batman Apocalypse and joined the Disney Movie Club to pick up Disney movies I hadn't been buying since I couldn't watch them on my Samsung...

but I still want to keep tabs since the Samsung is otherwise good.

Nope, but the more the merrier. Seems like I am the only one left with this player ;-) Actually, other than the Disney movies, seems very few movie problems other than those old WB and Chaplin issues. Always good to have a few of us checking things out and reporting in. I haven't been as active trying out my collection and renting stuff and with the many weekly releases I haven't gotten to even a fraction of them recently. I have tried to curtail my acquiring new movies since I need to de-junk the house in order to sell it. You may see me on an upcoming episode of Hoarders if my wife has her way ;-) That did not stop me from redeeming a bunch of Disney movie rewards points for free and next to free BDs and ordering Puss In Boots recently and Hugo this evening.
post #12791 of 13682 Old 03-27-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Nope, but the more the merrier. Seems like I am the only one left with this player ;-)

Not true, and I appreciate the updates. I check in here every time I see it's been updated. I don't post often because I don't watch as many discs as perhaps others, and you always post your results for a new disc before I've even gotten to it.

I use the 5k and an Oppo 980 (for 4:3 DVDs, SACDs, and other music) in the LR. I've thought about trading them both in for an Oppo 93, but so far have talked myself out of the additional expense. After all, I spent nearly $1000 for the 5k, and it was only a few years ago!

Doug
post #12792 of 13682 Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
The 5k was released in late 2007...I suppose almost 5 years could be construed as only a "few." Feels like an eternity.
post #12793 of 13682 Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Still check this thread 4-5 times a week for Mr. K's updates and reminders to complain to Samsung about the non-playable discs. All very appreciated!

I don't buy discs like I used to, in fact, I just finished Mad Men season 1 last night. Works great on 1.4

Going to look for season 2 tonight.
post #12794 of 13682 Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The 5k was released in late 2007...I suppose almost 5 years could be construed as only a "few." Feels like an eternity.

2007, you say, young whippersnapper? The older I get, the faster the years spin by...!

Doug
post #12795 of 13682 Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Ah finally some activity :-)

I have many optical players and drives, cd, DVD, bd and hddvd. I have never had one fail even the DVD players that I purchased back at the start of this century. Until the past 2 years I have lost the loader in my main 5k twice now. All the other players and drives play everything with the odd exception of one of the discs in 2 disc tori Amos cd set that would not load on an apple mbp. Yes in some respects the past almost 4 years with this player seems like forever, but the past 10 have flown by. My children are now out of the nest and I guess I missed the past "few" years dinking around with 5ks and posting messages here. Thanks Samsung for taking the last years of my children growing up from me ;-)

Seriously one of you that paid a grand or more should be really complaining to Samsung about the faulty firmware. I don't think I have that much into my fleet of 5 and all the spare parts I have purchased to keep them going. My most expensive one 250 or so was returned defective for a credit.

My old DVD players are in the possession of friends and family and are still going strong.
post #12796 of 13682 Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM

Liked: 10
I still have it and use it occasionally.
post #12797 of 13682 Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Tinker, Taylor, soldier, spy loaded and played without difficulty.
post #12798 of 13682 Old 04-03-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It didn't start well, but I managed to watch disc one of Mad Men Season Two.

It required a power button restart after it froze on the menu screen after what seemed like an eternity to get there. I hate the noises this thing makes when it's "reading".

Still on 1.4 until I need to change. (have 1.6 in hand)
post #12799 of 13682 Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead View Post

It didn't start well, but I managed to watch disc one of Mad Men Season Two.

It required a power button restart after it froze on the menu screen after what seemed like an eternity to get there. I hate the noises this thing makes when it's "reading".

Still on 1.4 until I need to change. (have 1.6 in hand)

Odd, I remember being able to play the 1st couple seasons with no issues, and that was back in '09 before 1.6 was released. Thinking about it I may of only purchased Season 1 as season 2 was probably still on the tube then?
post #12800 of 13682 Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I am seeing reports that Warhorse is freezing up after the language selection screen on other older Sammy players. Anyone try yet?
post #12801 of 13682 Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 AM

I also had problems last night with the Underworld prequel. So I reset the 5000 again back to the factory default (power-on, eject, SKIP for 5 seconds). But the disk still wouldn't play (the normal "can't be played" popup). So I tried the power-off/power-on insert/eject trick several times and after a few attempts at this, it started to play.

So the recent blu-ray problems that I have been having lately seem to be related to the player.

However, a couple of nights ago BD Tinker Tailor played fine without going through these kinds of games.

Thanks,

Scott
post #12802 of 13682 Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah finally some activity :-)
Seriously one of you that paid a grand or more should be really complaining to Samsung about the faulty firmware. I don't think I have that much into my fleet of 5 and all the spare parts I have purchased to keep them going. My most expensive one 250 or so was returned defective for a credit.

I finally bought a Sony S590 the other day (on sale for $119.99). I wanted to have HD streaming, and I also wanted to see how the performance might compare between the 5k and a newer machine.

The newer player boots and loads slightly faster (this is with the "quick start" feature turned off - must be even faster w/ it on), and the tray opens immediately, which makes it faster to insert a disc and get it loaded.

Everything else is pretty much the same. The only feature about the 5k that I prefer is the ability to turn on, and then off, the subtitles. With the Sony, after turning on subtitles, you have to keep pushing the button to scroll through all the subs (and some discs have more than 10!) before turning them off again.

Anyway, when I packed up the 5k to donate to an in-law, I looked at the receipt. It was from 12/31/2007 (although I didn't actually receive it until late-January 2008), and I paid $749.99. That was the list price when it was first released.

I was also able to retire my Oppo 980, which I used for 4:3 DVDs, SACDs, and CDs.

I'll check in again here periodically. Thanks again to everyone who's contributed (especially Mr. Kludge). I've enjoyed discussing the 5k with you.

Doug
post #12803 of 13682 Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also had problems last night with the Underworld prequel. So I reset the 5000 again back to the factory default (power-on, eject, SKIP for 5 seconds). But the disk still wouldn't play (the normal "can't be played" popup). So I tried the power-off/power-on insert/eject trick several times and after a few attempts at this, it started to play.

So the recent blu-ray problems that I have been having lately seem to be related to the player.

However, a couple of nights ago BD Tinker Tailor played fine without going through these kinds of games.

Thanks,

Scott

Would that be underworld awakening? That does not even release for a month. I own all the others and have never had a problem. Probably loader failure, it happens eventually.
post #12804 of 13682 Old 04-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Liked: 19
I still have this player and use it in my living room. Though lately I've been using the PS3 more with my new 3D television in my bedroom.
post #12805 of 13682 Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

this is still my living room player.

Considering the Oppo or the new Samsung (yes I know).. I may need 2 HDMI outputs.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #12806 of 13682 Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 AM

Been a year or better since I visited this thread. Still running my 5K as my main player & still loving it. Probably will until it dies. See there is still no firmware update at Samsung site. I'll check back now & again to see if there is any new news.
post #12807 of 13682 Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Well, last night GIJoe wouldn't play either; same problem that I've been having successively with the other blu-rays (the 5000's gray popup saying that the disk couldn't be played). But I've watched this GIJoe BR many times before, so something is definitely degrading in my 5000.

I did the factory reset, on/off several times, in/out several times, cleared the internal memory (I think), checked for scratches, etc. but it still wouldn't play (and I do have the 1.6 firmware). So we watched something else. It looks like it is finally time for a new player...

We've kept the 5000 this long because of the HDDVD's that we have. But at this point, the only non-BR in my collection that I haven't converted from yet is Elizabeth I; an excellent movie (the 1998 version, not the "Golden Age"). The last HDDVD stragglers in my collection were Phantom of the Opera and Star Trek original series season 1; and those two have been available for awhile now.

Scott

PS the Underworld prequel that I referred to was the "Rise of the Lycans", not "Awakening 3D" available May 2012.

[edit] PPS I'm considering the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 player, it has 2 HDMI outputs and 7.1 analog outputs. Should be available in the next couple of months?
post #12808 of 13682 Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am seeing reports that Warhorse is freezing up after the language selection screen on other older Sammy players. Anyone try yet?

Yes, it is hung up after the Language screen.

I own a Samsung BD UP5000 with over a 1000 Blu Ray Movies

I also own a Toshiba D3 & Toshiba A30 plus 175 HD DVD Movies

post #12809 of 13682 Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27

We've kept the 5000 this long because of the HDDVD's that we have. But at this point, the only non-BR in my collection that I haven't converted from yet is Elizabeth I; an excellent movie (the 1998 version, not the "Golden Age"). The last HDDVD stragglers in my collection were Phantom of the Opera and Star Trek original series season 1; and those two have been available for awhile now.

Scott

Elizabeth has been available in Blu-Ray for a fair while now (the Blu-Ray came out 27 April 2010). Amazon (US) has it for only $7.99 and there is also a two-movie version with both Elizabeth and Elizabeth:The Golden Age for $14.99. It's been a little while since I watched them, but I recall that the B-D versions are as nice as the HD-DVD versions :-)

I've had the same problems with the Blu-ray part of the head assembly failing while the HD-DVD part continues to function. Replacement loaders appear to be becoming scarce items unless one wants to buy complete units. [I had bought a 2nd used unit but it also started to have loader problems after only about 3-4 months :-(]

So I am gradually acquiring the B-D versions of my HD-DVD titles as they become available. I happened to buy the BD-UP5000 not long before the HD-DVD consortium threw in the towel, so I don't have all that many HD-DVD, and several of them I got at bargain bin prices :-)

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #12810 of 13682 Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I think the player was only released 3 months before the consortium called it quits (Feb 2008, I think, after Warner's death blow in January 2008). My memory may be hazy.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page