BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 451 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #13501 of 13761 Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
To soften the blow you can open up a freeshipping.com account then buy them on the 2nd hand market. I have been able to pick up several for the $15-$18 range before shipping (reimbursed through free shipping.com). I have also been able to pick up several at various FYE and Hastings B&M stores using their various buy one (or two or three) and get on free for half price or a buck. A half-dozen of them I have been able to get at Hastings on buy one get one for a buck which makes them ~$10.50 a piece. Sadly others must know the trick since I haven't seen many recently. I did luck out and found Che and Fear and Loathing… a couple weeks ago at a local FYE. Also over the past year about a dozen of them at that same store on the various sales. I'm thinking there is someone local there that is playing list price+ watching then trading in so every couple months I stop by and check out what they have. It's a royal pain as they don't separate them out and you have to poke around in the bins to find them.

Slowness in releasing movies does not bother me yet since I am still purple (or maroon if you prefer) and already own all of these HDs.

I guess actually if you mix the cover colors; ugly reddish brown and sky blue you end up with puce, or maybe mauve or magenta. Hard to tell what it would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13502 of 13761 Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah right, cause AVS only shows 3 weeks, 1 day instead of actual post date, I missed that smile.gif
post #13503 of 13761 Old 04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya, it's annoying. Ever since AVS upgrades to their new system a while back it has been that way. I haven't been able to find a way to change it to date and time, but I bet there is a way.
post #13504 of 13761 Old 04-26-2014, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I literally had not checked this thread in months. I am SHOCKED to find out there was an update in Oct. I had given up ever seeing an update for this player. Which I still use.
post #13505 of 13761 Old 04-28-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just recently needed to update to 1.7 to play Game of Thrones season 2 on BD. I couldn't seem to get it past track 3 on 1.6.

Hooked the old girl back into the switch and zip zam zoom, I was in business about 5 minutes later.

Pleasantly surprised. smile.gif
post #13506 of 13761 Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead View Post

I just recently needed to update to 1.7 to play Game of Thrones season 2 on BD. I couldn't seem to get it past track 3 on 1.6.

Hooked the old girl back into the switch and zip zam zoom, I was in business about 5 minutes later.

Pleasantly surprised. smile.gif

Most likely just a cold start would have done the trick since no one else has complained, but you never know the GoT box sets are fairly new. I just remembered this post since I recently acquired all the released seasons. My son wants to watch them and I need to re-watch them anyhow (all except season 2 since I re-watched most of it last year after season 3 came out and I was lost since I did not pay attention very well to season 2 when it was on the tube). My understanding is that the PQ and AQ is outstanding on these? And it's all your fault I own them now. I checked on the High Def Digest ratings after you posted and they are all "must own" and then I went all crazy and bought them all.

Now I just remembered years ago I would buy used BD sets to get caught up on shows then re-sell them after I watched. Now I wish I had kept my Breaking Bad sets, but if I ever re-visit that show I will probably stream it on Netflix?
post #13507 of 13761 Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Most likely just a cold start would have done the trick since no one else has complained, but you never know the GoT box sets are fairly new. I just remembered this post since I recently acquired all the released seasons. My son wants to watch them and I need to re-watch them anyhow (all except season 2 since I re-watched most of it last year after season 3 came out and I was lost since I did not pay attention very well to season 2 when it was on the tube). My understanding is that the PQ and AQ is outstanding on these? And it's all your fault I own them now. I checked on the High Def Digest ratings after you posted and they are all "must own" and then I went all crazy and bought them all.

Now I just remembered years ago I would buy used BD sets to get caught up on shows then re-sell them after I watched. Now I wish I had kept my Breaking Bad sets, but if I ever re-visit that show I will probably stream it on Netflix?

I'll gladly bear that cross. Those discs are real and they are spectacular! cool.gif

I forgot about the cold start trick, but I was itching to update anyway and was curious if it would come down through the ethernet port or not. Samsung is clearly trying to get back into my good graces. smile.gif
post #13508 of 13761 Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead View Post

I'll gladly bear that cross. Those discs are real and they are spectacular! cool.gif

I forgot about the cold start trick, but I was itching to update anyway and was curious if it would come down through the ethernet port or not. Samsung is clearly trying to get back into my good graces. smile.gif

These days there is no reason not to upgrade to 1.7 unless you are a major HD junkie and don't have another player for those. Very early releases seemed to do them better. Anyhow I'm not aware of anything on BD that is worse after 1.7 at least we can now play newer Disney and Fox discs. I would like to see some of the other disc issues corrected, but they are far and few between these days. I haven't been spinning up many discs lately since the demise of Blockbuster and there hasn't been much in the red machine down the street to rent either and free codes have been very sparse from them. So anyhow if there are a bunch of new issues with newer discs I would have no idea. I generally wait a year or two after release of discs to buy them when the come down in price.
post #13509 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well It has been a long while since I visited here. I do try and check in occasionally to see if any updates or news has occurred for the BD-UP5000. The 5000 has been regulated to the guest bedroom so does not get used that often. I was surprised to see that Samsung finally came across with an update. Since I only have WiFi in that room I went to their site and downloaded the file, unzipped and burnt the image to a CD. Every thing loaded and updated alright. But I checked the SW version and I have different numbers then was posted here back in October last year. This is what I have after updating: S/W 120213.01_8124_0924.11_XAA. I noted that was different from post 13294 on 10-20-13, where it was stated as being S/W 081027.01_0321_0924.11_XAA.

The player seems to work fine just curious as to the different numbers. Any ideas?
post #13510 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post

Well It has been a long while since I visited here. I do try and check in occasionally to see if any updates or news has occurred for the BD-UP5000. The 5000 has been regulated to the guest bedroom so does not get used that often. I was surprised to see that Samsung finally came across with an update. Since I only have WiFi in that room I went to their site and downloaded the file, unzipped and burnt the image to a CD. Every thing loaded and updated alright. But I checked the SW version and I have different numbers then was posted here back in October last year. This is what I have after updating: S/W 120213.01_8124_0924.11_XAA. I noted that was different from post 13294 on 10-20-13, where it was stated as being S/W 081027.01_0321_0924.11_XAA.

The player seems to work fine just curious as to the different numbers. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what was going on with mhobart back then. If you read further I question that post since what you ended up with is what you should have, except my loader code is 0321 and not 8124. For some reason he reported the software string for 1.4 and later the string for 1.6 and there is a note that at some time it was corrected. So who knows, I never posted the entire string and should have, but forgot.

You might want to double check yours after a "cold start" and check both the system info under system settings and also hold down the info button with the loader open. (if I remember right when you use the info button the string is shorter since it expands out the versions to the various components for you but I think both software and loader version is always part of it). I assume the loader code can vary depending on what actual version of the loader is in your unit. I have seen it be different, but for quite some time it has always been _0321_ for me on all my players. I can't remember for sure but I only have one of them on 1.7 currently. I have had various loaders in several of my players (and a couple different system boards in my project unit) so I don't know if it is the main board version or the loader version that determines what you end up with. I used to worry about this since 8124 (and others I have seen) seems like a later version than 0321 but I have never kept track of what I have seen over the years and many updates and changes. These versions could be based on dates, other factors or could even be buggy and anomylous and mean absolutely nothing. One of the many mysteries of this player.

So mine currently is reporting S/W 120213.01_0321_0924.11_XAA if that helps not sure why yours would be using _8124_ loader code and not _0312_ which is what I have seen most folks report over the years. It's also possible, but unlikely, that Ethernet vrs. CD updates would yield a different result, except you state that you used a CD and not Ethernet. I downloaded the file again and compared to what I downloaded back in October and the files are identical. I thought maybe there was a new tweaked version out there, but that does not appear to be the case.

I would be very interested in hearing what the software version strings are now for folks that have updated to 1.7. I would hope that the 120213.01 and ending 0924.11_XAA would be the same and if there is any variation it would be in the four digit loader code?
post #13511 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I did a do several checks of the software even to the point of going into my PC download folder to check and make sure I opened the correct file. I have several there from previous S/W versions. I went into the setup menu and checked the version and via that route it gives the complete string there.
I really cant recall if the loader code was the same before as I did not check. It would be interesting though to see what other folks are getting at this later date.
post #13512 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I did some messing with my "project" player today. It was still on 1.4 since before I moved two years ago and hasn't been out of the box since that I can recall. Anyhow I took it to 1.6 then 1.7 and both times and before I started the loader code was at 0321. Actually it was good that I got it out since recently I purchased a used copy of Grand Prix on HD and have been having problems playing it in my main 5K. It plays fine in my LG and also my A35 and I thought it was just a picky loader in my main player, but it has the exact same problems in the same places on my project player running 1.4, 1.6 or 1.7. So either it is a title the 5K does not like or my particular disc has some issues on it? Curious if anyone else has had issues with Grand Prix HD-DVD ? I don't want to source another copy if it will also have issues.

Of all my players I would expect my project player to have different loader code since it has one of the picky loaders that will not accept a firmware update disc burned to CD-R. It will only accept one burned on a CD-R/W. My self and a few others have ran into this. Mine will play a music CD-R just fine, just won't accept a data CD-R for some strange reason. Despite that issue it has one of the most reliable loaders in it that I have found so far.

Now that I write this I sorta recall some firmware updates updating the loader code and not others. I recall 1.5 doing something specific to the loader code and thinking that the older Fox titles that were broken by 1.5 (Sunshine and about a dozen others) was caused by that changed code, however that issue turned out to be a bug introduced in the actual 1.5 firmware to make Avatar work and when resolved in 1.6 the loader code stayed the same. It you happened to miss a release or two that might explain why you would be on 8124 instead of 0321. I don't know what may be messed up, if anything, by this except for all of my testing and playing of discs is with 0321 and your mileage may vary? As I mentioned before I have ran into a couple players and loaders that have had a different version on them but as soon as I update them (usually on my project player) they go to 0321 and that is even without applying 1.5 on them. It's been quite some time since I have purchased spare parts and extra players so I'm not sure what code was out then. I know that the loader version comes from the loader since when I run into one with different code it gets reported in the info screen as different than the one I just swapped until it is updated. I also don't know what happens if you run a loader with different code with system software that is newer than it. The service manual refers to an internal Samsung update disc that can be used to specifically update just the loader, main board, front board or other code so I know it is possible to change this stuff up. I have never seen any ill affects due to that anyhow.

Still curious why yours is different and if anyone else out there has something different that 0321.
post #13513 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for all the boring posts. If nothing else something to put you to sleep. Anyhow I read back in the forum and ran into my posts about 1.5 changing the loader code to 0321 and that is the first time I recall that changing from 8124. I think I have had 1.5 on all my players and loaders, except for maybe a couple players I bought on eBay a few years ago so I can't test if you skip 1.5 right to 1.6 or 1.7 if you will retain the 8124 code. Seems like those players also went to 0321 when I got them and updated to probably 1.6 that was out at the time. My recollection is that if you apply an update that makes the loader 0321 then no matter what update old or new you put on it will stay that way. I don't believe that 1.6 or 1.7 messed with that code, so….might explain things. I also was reminded about the many folks that had to either power cycle or cold start their players after updating to 1.5 which may be explained by the tinkering with the loader code. I don't recall as many complaints with the other updates as that one. 1.5 seemed to be a bad release over all and seems to have messed with loader code that Samsung has never updated since. Probably because it does not need to be messed with?

At that time there were a couple folks that could not go from 1.3>1.4 and when they went to 1.5 they were ok. As far as I can tell 1.3 and 1.4 used the 8124 loader code.

radtek. SInce you still have the old loader code it would be good if you own or have access to the following discs if you could see if they happen to work on your player with 1.7 main and 8124 loader; Bubble HD-DVD (that one gets stuck on the menu and you can't select, I doubt that loader code would fix that), Chaplin BD, Thir13en Ghosts BD (the version included with House of Wax, not the UK release), Superman/Batman Apocalypse BD, Splice BD (rental version). All of those get stuck usually after previews with menu on the display and you can't continue. I own them all except for Chaplin and Superman/Batman...
post #13514 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Sorry, don't own any of those.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #13515 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Sorry, don't own any of those.

And you probably don't have the older (or is it newer?) 8124 loader code. Why don't you look at your system info and let us know what it is.
post #13516 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Will do later.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #13517 of 13761 Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my newest (to me) two players out of storage and they are also both running the 0321 loader code. One was on 1.6 and the other was running 1.3. I remembered using that unit for some regression testing with HD playback after I got it since it used to not be in a box and was readily accessible. I doubt I would have loaded 1.5 on them (can't think of a reason) but I bet whomever owned them before me did at one point. I recall them both being on the latest 1.6 code when I purchased them.
post #13518 of 13761 Old 05-25-2014, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just browsing around and saw this thread was still going, amazing! I sold my UP5000 last spring and all my remaining HD-DVD before I moved. I just had to drop in an say hi since I almost fell out of my seat when I saw a firmware update was release 3+ years later after last update. I am STUNNED, I figured anyone at Samsung who knew how to compile firmware for this device would have moved on long ago. Kudos to Samsung for going above and beyond the call of duty. I would love to know how many players were actually out there to get this update, seems pretty niche by now considering how few were sold to start with.

Keep up the good fight Kludge!
post #13519 of 13761 Old 05-26-2014, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post

I was just browsing around and saw this thread was still going, amazing! I sold my UP5000 last spring and all my remaining HD-DVD before I moved. I just had to drop in an say hi since I almost fell out of my seat when I saw a firmware update was release 3+ years later after last update. I am STUNNED, I figured anyone at Samsung who knew how to compile firmware for this device would have moved on long ago. Kudos to Samsung for going above and beyond the call of duty. I would love to know how many players were actually out there to get this update, seems pretty niche by now considering how few were sold to start with.

Keep up the good fight Kludge!

Ya, the resale value of the 5K is still very good, considering how old it is. I wish I had stats on how many were initially sold. I think there are more out there than some might think and us collectors tend to have a few and others have bought several for spare parts etc. The 2nd (and 3rd, 4th etc,) hand market has to be pretty good also since there are always a few listed on eBay and elsewhere.

Probably for every active poster here there are probably a couple hundred that take a lurk at the posts, update and move on or just those that don't even know or check on this list. Then again maybe only a few dozen are still in operation?
post #13520 of 13761 Old 05-26-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

…Walter Mitty… plays great, though the load time is horrible since it is Fox. One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Very underrated, visually stunning, awesome 7.1 soundtrack great story etc. I was going to wait for this to come on the movie channels and glad that I didn't. I will be buying a cheep used copy when I find one. I am not a big Stiller fan (in fact more the opposite) but this is well directed by him, even if his acting leaves a bit to be desired. Probably the deepest role he has had. Penn kinda steals the show, even if he only has basically one scene, but it's a good one. I think it would be better with their roles switched. Penn is one of those actors that started out not too great and has gotten better with each film he is in. ok, I shut-up now.
post #13521 of 13761 Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've got a BD-UP5000 in excellent working condition for sale for the right price.... let me know if you are interested.
post #13522 of 13761 Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Sorry for all the boring posts. If nothing else something to put you to sleep. Anyhow I read back in the forum and ran into my posts about 1.5 changing the loader code to 0321 and that is the first time I recall that changing from 8124. I think I have had 1.5 on all my players and loaders, except for maybe a couple players I bought on eBay a few years ago so I can't test if you skip 1.5 right to 1.6 or 1.7 if you will retain the 8124 code. Seems like those players also went to 0321 when I got them and updated to probably 1.6 that was out at the time. My recollection is that if you apply an update that makes the loader 0321 then no matter what update old or new you put on it will stay that way. I don't believe that 1.6 or 1.7 messed with that code, so….might explain things. I also was reminded about the many folks that had to either power cycle or cold start their players after updating to 1.5 which may be explained by the tinkering with the loader code. I don't recall as many complaints with the other updates as that one. 1.5 seemed to be a bad release over all and seems to have messed with loader code that Samsung has never updated since. Probably because it does not need to be messed with?

At that time there were a couple folks that could not go from 1.3>1.4 and when they went to 1.5 they were ok. As far as I can tell 1.3 and 1.4 used the 8124 loader code.

radtek. SInce you still have the old loader code it would be good if you own or have access to the following discs if you could see if they happen to work on your player with 1.7 main and 8124 loader; Bubble HD-DVD (that one gets stuck on the menu and you can't select, I doubt that loader code would fix that), Chaplin BD, Thir13en Ghosts BD (the version included with House of Wax, not the UK release), Superman/Batman Apocalypse BD, Splice BD (rental version). All of those get stuck usually after previews with menu on the display and you can't continue. I own them all except for Chaplin and Superman/Batman...

If memory serves me right I did not do the 1,5 firmware but went from 1.4 to 1.6...Wait one! I just got up and dug around and found the disks for 1.5 and 1.6 so I must have loaded 1.5. Just turned 69 yesterday and look what happened to my mind! CRS syndrome settling in I guess?

Anyway I have not had very many problems with the 5000 not playing disks. I don't have any of the disks mentioned either but I may rent one to see if it will have any problems. My main player now is the Oppo 95 but the 5000 does get used but mostly by my 12 year old Granddaughter ...all the Disney BDs play with no problems. I'm a firm believer in if it isn't broken don't fix it!
post #13523 of 13761 Old 06-07-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If memory serves me right I did not do the 1,5 firmware but went from 1.4 to 1.6...Wait one! I just got up and dug around and found the disks for 1.5 and 1.6 so I must have loaded 1.5. Just turned 69 yesterday and look what happened to my mind! CRS syndrome settling in I guess?

Anyway I have not had very many problems with the 5000 not playing disks. I don't have any of the disks mentioned either but I may rent one to see if it will have any problems. My main player now is the Oppo 95 but the 5000 does get used but mostly by my 12 year old Granddaughter ...all the Disney BDs play with no problems. I'm a firm believer in if it isn't broken don't fix it!

Did you ever check your versions with the firmware info window? I.E. with the tray open press and hold the info button on the remote until the screen comes up. With all my checking your loader should report 0321 and not 8124 unless for some really odd reason yours never loaded the 0321 loader firmware. I'm just curious about it if noting else. I have 5 working players and all of them report 0321 for the loader and I also have a spare semi-brand-new loader (at least it was when it was repaired and swapped in an old player that I got rid of) that also reports 0321. I sourced a bunch of used loaders from a seller on eBay years ago and after going through maybe 6-8 I found one that worked almost 100%. That one is the one that will only accept updates burned to CD-r/w media and won't accept CD-R media updates (but will play CD-Rs with regular old CD audio/redbook on them). The rest I either returned or was allowed to keep, however all of them that were broken in some way or another I donated to a local thrift store for a tax write off. All except the two old loaders I had in my main player. The original one that won't play a couple Lionsgate discs I have and the 2nd loader I had in that player that I sourced from the same seller (I bought 2 before a big batch was sent to me to test from the seller that were some of the last manufactured that worked out great for a time). One started not playing long BDs over about 2.5 hours and one is in a player I bought off someone here that turned out to have a bad loader that would not play some HDs). Anyhow the reason for my long explanation is that as I recall even the semi or completely broken loaders that at least would accept a CD-R to update also showed 0321 code once re applied the latest firmware at the time. I recall a few of them having different code on them when I first swapped them in my project player and then after the update would go to 0321. I didn't keep notes about the various codes since I knew that all firmwares in the player are updated with each release (or at least should be). I have also sourced two main boards. One is in a player I bought on eBay for cheep that had a bad board, but had a very good loader which I now have in my main player. I put it in the cranky one that doesn't like CD-R data and I call that my "project" player since it was cheep and I use it to stage and test various components. The other board is a spare. Whew! anyway everything I have which represents a ton of whole or part players all end up with 0321 eventually no matter what.

Take a peek at the version screen and let me know. I would not worry if it is different but that would be pretty strange. Might be an anomalous loader that won't take an update. If all Disney's and newer Fox releases play fine then nothing to worry about. The whole 0321/8124 loader thing might explain why newer Disney DVDs get rejected and won't play so give me a list of the Disney BD/DVD combos you have and any recent (within the past 3-4 years) DVDs and I can tell you a few to try to see if they are rejected. If they are not then you might have a magic player that has virtually no issues. Off hand here are some that won't load and play; Dumbo (2011 release), Fox and the Hound (2011), Sorcerers Apprentice, A Christmas Carol (the CGI version that is not very old), Snow White (version included in BD combo pack). There are a bunch more that I have ran into but haven't kept notes or sent in the reports to Samsung thinking if they ever do fix that one will fix all? It's not a big issue since why would you play the DVD in this player if you also have the BD?

This reminds me that I have ran into some random dropout and other issues with DVDs that I need to go back and see if they are issues. I was reminded about the Defying Gravity TV series box set that has/had some odd audio drops when I played it using 1.6 years ago, but I haven't gone back and tried again. I also recall a few folks reporting other studio DVDs that they got errors with.
post #13524 of 13761 Old 06-07-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW - don't bother trying the other discs mentioned before, unless you really do have 8124 code instead of 0321. It would be a waste of time and possibly money to do so. I assure you that none of those will play at all. There are only four BDs that I am aware of that won't play and one HD; Chaplin, Thirteen Ghosts and Superman/Batman…, the rental version of Splice and Bubble HD. Most have alternate versions that will play; retail version of Splice, UK version of Thirteen Ghosts and Bubble BD rather than the HD (which is much less expensive BTW). In reviewing my notes and reports An American Carol would not play and has not been retested with 1.7 and also Intruders would not play for me (both got stuck with menu like Disney movies so maybe they might be fixed). Those two are minor movies that I doubt anyone cares about anymore and I'm not willing to source or rent. Also the jury is out on Superman/Batman since I don't think anyone has retested it with 1.7. The same may be the case with Chaplin? Of course there is also a short list of movies that you have to either do something special to play, but they will or have various settings workarounds. All in all it is a short list.

I have been re-watching GoT with my son on BD and have been impressed with the compatibility. A little slow loading, but when you do the play all option and it prompts you for the next disc everything actually works. I haven't checked yet if you select a given special feature that is on a different disc if that works as well, but I don't see where it would not. I only played with it so far on season 2. I will be re-watching again with the in-episode guide on eventually.
post #13525 of 13761 Old 06-07-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Did you ever check your versions with the firmware info window? I.E. with the tray open press and hold the info button on the remote until the screen comes up. With all my checking your loader should report 0321 and not 8124 unless for some really odd reason yours never loaded the 0321 loader firmware. I'm just curious about it if noting else. I have 5 working players and all of them report 0321 for the loader and I also have a spare semi-brand-new loader (at least it was when it was repaired and swapped in an old player that I got rid of) that also reports 0321. I sourced a bunch of used loaders from a seller on eBay years ago and after going through maybe 6-8 I found one that worked almost 100%. That one is the one that will only accept updates burned to CD-r/w media and won't accept CD-R media updates (but will play CD-Rs with regular old CD audio/redbook on them). The rest I either returned or was allowed to keep, however all of them that were broken in some way or another I donated to a local thrift store for a tax write off. All except the two old loaders I had in my main player. The original one that won't play a couple Lionsgate discs I have and the 2nd loader I had in that player that I sourced from the same seller (I bought 2 before a big batch was sent to me to test from the seller that were some of the last manufactured that worked out great for a time). One started not playing long BDs over about 2.5 hours and one is in a player I bought off someone here that turned out to have a bad loader that would not play some HDs). Anyhow the reason for my long explanation is that as I recall even the semi or completely broken loaders that at least would accept a CD-R to update also showed 0321 code once re applied the latest firmware at the time. I recall a few of them having different code on them when I first swapped them in my project player and then after the update would go to 0321. I didn't keep notes about the various codes since I knew that all firmwares in the player are updated with each release (or at least should be). I have also sourced two main boards. One is in a player I bought on eBay for cheep that had a bad board, but had a very good loader which I now have in my main player. I put it in the cranky one that doesn't like CD-R data and I call that my "project" player since it was cheep and I use it to stage and test various components. The other board is a spare. Whew! anyway everything I have which represents a ton of whole or part players all end up with 0321 eventually no matter what.

Take a peek at the version screen and let me know. I would not worry if it is different but that would be pretty strange. Might be an anomalous loader that won't take an update. If all Disney's and newer Fox releases play fine then nothing to worry about. The whole 0321/8124 loader thing might explain why newer Disney DVDs get rejected and won't play so give me a list of the Disney BD/DVD combos you have and any recent (within the past 3-4 years) DVDs and I can tell you a few to try to see if they are rejected. If they are not then you might have a magic player that has virtually no issues. Off hand here are some that won't load and play; Dumbo (2011 release), Fox and the Hound (2011), Sorcerers Apprentice, A Christmas Carol (the CGI version that is not very old), Snow White (version included in BD combo pack). There are a bunch more that I have ran into but haven't kept notes or sent in the reports to Samsung thinking if they ever do fix that one will fix all? It's not a big issue since why would you play the DVD in this player if you also have the BD?

This reminds me that I have ran into some random dropout and other issues with DVDs that I need to go back and see if they are issues. I was reminded about the Defying Gravity TV series box set that has/had some odd audio drops when I played it using 1.6 years ago, but I haven't gone back and tried again. I also recall a few folks reporting other studio DVDs that they got errors with.

Ok I pressed the info button with tray opened and right off we have LDR 8124, Front 011, Sw 120213.01_8124_XAA. I found the Diamond Edition of Snow White and both DVD and BD discs play fine. I also had handy the 70th Anniversary Pinocchio BD and it also plays with no problem. Although I can't locate it immediately I know she has watched Dumbo about a thousand times at least! I am curious now and will go out to the main HT area find and test some Fox titles to see if they play nice with the Sammy.
post #13526 of 13761 Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I pressed the info button with tray opened and right off we have LDR 8124, Front 011, Sw 120213.01_8124_XAA. I found the Diamond Edition of Snow White and both DVD and BD discs play fine. I also had handy the 70th Anniversary Pinocchio BD and it also plays with no problem. Although I can't locate it immediately I know she has watched Dumbo about a thousand times at least! I am curious now and will go out to the main HT area find and test some Fox titles to see if they play nice with the Sammy.

Some that I know would not play running 1.6 were; Life of Pi, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Skyfall and basically almost anything released after ALVH but there were a few here and there that I ran into that would play. Back then I was able to get Prometheus to load but only if you hit stop when it got stuck then menu. The others would load up with that trick but then pixelate like crazy. I'm doing some regression and updating testing and getting mixed results. One is that I can no longer play Dumbo DVD with any combo of loader and main firmware where back in 2011 I was able to. I have two copies of that one one in the combo pack and another that is just DVD. The discs are identical. I ordered the BD combo but was sent the DVD version originally and was allowed to keep both versions. Neither disc will load now so I know it is not an individual disc issue but a title issue. The DVD only copy has a few light scratches on it. Other reported DVDs at the time I have been able to load with 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4. More about this on another post.
post #13527 of 13761 Old 06-07-2014, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It is possible that I never tried Dumbo DVD on 1.4 or earlier regression testing since I cannot get either copy I have to load at all on any combination of loader or main code. I did report to Sammy that it would play under 1.4 but I might have assumed at the time that it would since it does get ejected with "The disc cannot be played. Please Check the TV system. " when I am running 1.6 (note that the only loader code you can have with 1.6 is 0321) more on that in a min. when I am done testing all the combinations I can think of. It also gets rejected with 1.7 with loader code 0321 or 8124. Again in a min. I will explain why I know that. I will post those results separately since it will be good for reference on what loader code gets loaded with each firmware release (or if it is left alone).
post #13528 of 13761 Old 06-07-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

This is what I learned. Firmware release and what loader code gets applied (or untouched):
1.2>8124 (regardless of what firmware or loader code is presently on unit)
1.3>leaves loader code alone and keeps whatever was there; 8124 or 0321 if you have gone back from a later release
1.4>same as 1.3
1.5>0321 (overrides to 0321 like 1.2 overrides to 8124)
1.6>0321 (same as 1.5)
1.7>loader code untouched like 1.3-1.4

So if you want to have loader code 8124 you must reload 1.2 then go right to 1.7 or you could stop but 1.3 and 1.4 on the way but once you load 1.5 or 1.6 your loader will stick on 0321.

Note that 1.5 and beyond is where the issues with Disney DVDs crop up and of course the issues with Disney BDs with 1.5-1.6.

I am leaving my main player at 8124 and 1.7 of course. I want to see if anything different happens with discs that won't load or play. It's easy enough to load up 1.6 then 1.7 again to get back to 0321. So far I have seen no difference in the two codes. My guess is that if you had 1.0 and 1.1 discs you might end up with even a different loader code or if you have a virgin machine and go right to 1.7. The firmware update probably has rules on what gets loaded depending on what you have, but it appears that 1.7 did not bother with updating it. I also don't know what code is the correct one to have since if you have applied each and every update you should end up with 0321 however if you updated right from 1.2-1.4 to 1.7 you would end up with 8124. It probably does not matter much what is on there. I took my project player back to 1.2 and then tried to load 1.7 from CD-R and it would not load. The disc chugs and seeks back and forth and spits it out just as it always has. In a min. I will have that one at 8124 and 1.7 also to see if I can match radtec's result of being able to play Snow White DVD from the combo pack. So far I can only get that disc to load on any loader code and 1.4 or below. Just tested with 8124 and 1.7 and all the discs that got rejected before are still rejected on both my main and project payers and Dumbo DVDs will not load on either player. With 1.4 and below it just locks up the player when loading and with 1.5 and above the disc is spit out with the error I am now sick of "The disc cannot be played. Please Check the TV system. "
post #13529 of 13761 Old 06-07-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you happen to find your Dumbo DVD I would be way interested if it will load at all since I have two copies neither that will play on two different players. I can't reproduce your successful result with Snow White DVD with your combo of firmwares. Are you sure it took. Course if you can play Dumbo BD (the first Disney BD that would not play at all with 1.6) and recent Fox BDs then it would have had to. You must have a magic player that is not affected by the Disney DVD bug? I was afraid my DVDs were bad but Dumbo loads up and plays fine on my laptop. I really don't know what is going on. I even went back then up the complete upgrade chain and at no point would Dumbo load.

I also can't explain why your loader code would be on 8124 if you loaded either of 1.5 or 1.6 at one point. Unless somehow you loaded 1.2 or earlier right before then. Two final questions for you. Did you update to 1.7 using CD or Ethernet/Network/Internet and do you recall what release you were on before you loaded 1.5 and or 1.6.
post #13530 of 13761 Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM

I was quite involved back when The 5000 first came out and in the subsequent years, as we paid a pretty penny at the time, so I patiently waited for each firmware update. I was reading this forum daily it seemed.to hear any news, glitches etc. Now I do seem to recall NOT loading one of the updates because of some issues that were being expressed back when. I think it may have been 1,3? Was there a relatively short period between 1.3 and 1.4? ...that is short per Samsung's standards. I seem to recall folks reverting back to the previous version as it had fewer issues. Because of this I did not load one of the updates.

I just went and looked high and low for Dumbo and he is not here. I believe my granddaughter was so enamored with the movie at the time I let her take it home, this would have been several years ago. But I did find another Disney BD ....Wall.E and it is playing as I type this.... but! ...in order for it to do so, when the movie menu came up and I selected "Play Movie" and it just sat there with blank screen and the screen on the player was scrolling "slide show". I ejected the disc and re started skipped all the previews got to the menu and this time when to scene selection and picked the very first and it started right up at the beginning of the movie. I guess this work around is needed for this title.

I have always loaded new firmware from CDs for this player and I believe I was on 1.4. I can only find the CDs for 1.5 and 1.6 I think I tossed the others to free up some jewel cases. The granddaughter is growing up faster then I would like and has different tastes in movies now days so when I can get in contact with her I will see if she still has the Dumbo movie and have her return it so I can test play-ability for you.
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page