BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 452 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #13531 of 13697 Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post

I was quite involved back when The 5000 first came out and in the subsequent years, as we paid a pretty penny at the time, so I patiently waited for each firmware update. I was reading this forum daily it seemed.to hear any news, glitches etc. Now I do seem to recall NOT loading one of the updates because of some issues that were being expressed back when. I think it may have been 1,3? Was there a relatively short period between 1.3 and 1.4? ...that is short per Samsung's standards. I seem to recall folks reverting back to the previous version as it had fewer issues. Because of this I did not load one of the updates.

I just went and looked high and low for Dumbo and he is not here. I believe my granddaughter was so enamored with the movie at the time I let her take it home, this would have been several years ago. But I did find another Disney BD ....Wall.E and it is playing as I type this.... but! ...in order for it to do so, when the movie menu came up and I selected "Play Movie" and it just sat there with blank screen and the screen on the player was scrolling "slide show". I ejected the disc and re started skipped all the previews got to the menu and this time when to scene selection and picked the very first and it started right up at the beginning of the movie. I guess this work around is needed for this title.

I have always loaded new firmware from CDs for this player and I believe I was on 1.4. I can only find the CDs for 1.5 and 1.6 I think I tossed the others to free up some jewel cases. The granddaughter is growing up faster then I would like and has different tastes in movies now days so when I can get in contact with her I will see if she still has the Dumbo movie and have her return it so I can test play-ability for you.

1.3 came out around May 30th of 2008. !.4 did not release until October or so of 2008 so at the time it was quite long since from release (late 2007/early 2008) up until it was less that 6 months old there were 5 versions of the code; original, 1.0,1.1,1.2,1.3. I came onto the scene with I think 1.1 but it could have been original or 1.0. I didn't know much about the player or tech back then and applied 1.2 very soon after I bought my original main player in late APril or early May. I then ran into all the DDTHD issues and inability to bitstream and patiently waited for the 1.3 release that was the savior of this player, though I think is broke the issues with upper screen tearing with 24fps playback of some HD AVC content. It's a little sketchy for me when that was broke, got fixed, then broke again and then was partially fixed with 1.6 an beyond. I'm pretty sure it was a problem originally then got fixed in 1.2 and broke again with the big change release of 1.3. Anyhow 1.4 was released for playability of For Your Eyes only and the original Jack Ryan movies on BD (afaIK the HDs have always played and I hope they still do since I spent a mint on the never officially released box set). The timeframe that you mention was probably between 1.5 and 1.6 since that was a very short lived thing. They released 1.5 for Avatar since Fox changed their encryption and that release broke about a dozen or so older Fox BDs and Disney Pirates,,,III. I detected this and got them to release 1.6 within a month if I remember right to fix all those problems only to have that release cause issues with Disney BDs and DVDs that started releasing in 2011. Those were the only releases in 2010 and were in late Spring/Summer of that year and the only ones prior to the current. I suspect that you might have skipped both of those releases since yes at the time we started reverting our players due to those issues. If you don't load updates until something is broken then you probably bypassed those releases and that would explain why you are on 8124 loader code since you mention you thought you were on 1.4 even though you do have the disc for 1.5 an 1.6.

Note that the movies I have been posting about today are DVDs not BDs. If you are on 1.7 I doubt that you should be able to get the ones I mentioned to play and testing Dumbo DVD would be good since it is a no go for me. The BD is fine that is the first thing I tested after getting to 8124/1.7. You said before that you were able to get Snow White... DVD from the Diamond edition to play but for me it just spits it out with the error about TV format with anything newer than 1,4.

I remember there being some weirdness with Wall-e so later I will try that since I have not played it in years. I also need to test some new Fox titles to make sure this combo does not have issues. I found no change from 0321 to 8124 when trying to play Bubble HD or Thirteen Ghosts (didn't try Splice rental) however I did see and improvement in both of my players ability to read through defective HD-DVDs. I need to do more testing there but Grand Prix though it has major issues at least would quickly read around the problem rather than getting stuck for several seconds. I also need to test a slew of old BD an HD issues that may or may not be corrected by the 8124 loader code. My suspicion is that there were problems with old code getting into all the firmware starting with 1.5 some of which is still not corrected today. I would think that a larger number for your loader code would be desirable but we have a newish firmware that is dated almost two years before it was releases and fixed recent problems that did not exist back in 2012 so who knows how they came up with those. So in some ways it seems better to be on 8124. I have a suspicion however that 8124 will be less reliable with BDs than 0321. I remember some weirdness with borderline loaders way back when and if I got one with different code then I was used to random strange things would happen so I would re-flash he player to get the "new" code on it.

Thanks for letting me know that your code was different than mine and others. There may still be magic in how you updated your player that has preserved it from having issues that many of us have. I am concerned however that you are having issues with Wall-e since any issues there should have been resolved with 1.7 but I haven't put every disc that had issues into my players since the update to verify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13532 of 13697 Old 06-07-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI I had no issues at all with either Wall-e or Life of Pi. I let Wall-e run through all the crap and also skipped and used the menu button to bypass as well and everything ran fine. Both of those are mighty fine looking. I swear that my player is outputting a better signal now, but I think it is a placebo affect.
post #13533 of 13697 Old 06-08-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi all. In case you don't want to read my long rambling tomes from when I pulled the all nighter to figure out loader code/firmware I need someone that is willing to put their player to 1.4 or someone that is already there to test Dumbo DVD from 2011. This is the disc that is included in the blu-ray combo(s) that came out in 2011. It was also released at the time of the BD in DVD only single disc format. Running anything past 1.4 this disc is rejected for me with the error "Disc cannot be played, please cheek the TV system" which would indicate that for some reason the player is detecting an non-region 1 or PAL disc, both of which are unsupported with this player. I have been aware of this issue for quite some time and have reported many Disney DVDs to Sammy that reject with this error. The odd thing is that this DVD running on anything older than 1.5 will just lock up when loading. 1.6 was out when this was released so I just assumed that like with all of the other that downgrading to 1.4 or lower would make the disc play. However that is not the case. I have not been able to get it to play at all under any release of firmware or loader code. I recall now that either I never tried the DVD of Dumbo or like I say it was rejected so I just added it to the list of rejected discs. This is important since IF Sammy ever gets around to fixing the overall issue there is a possibility this DVD will never play since it gets stuck on every release I have tried.

I also need someone to test Snow White…. DVD running 1.7. I don't think it matters what loader code you have, but if you happen to have 8124 that would be great however I am predicting the same results for 0321 as well. Radtek has reported that he was able to play the DVD running 1.7 and 8124 however on two machines if I run anything past 1.4 this DVD will not play (is rejected with the error), but downgrading to 1.4 with either loader code allows the DVD to play just like the others.

I am trying to figure out if there is a way for us to fix the Disney DVD issue ourselves with some sort of firmware load combination. It may be that unless you did things in an exact order that you are ok and if you have gone back and forth many times like I have then you can never get this to work. It could also be that Radtek just has a different batch or version of the DVD? The description of our sets sound the same the Diamond edition which is what I have also.

If you don't happen to have those exact DVDs at your disposal there are many more Disney DVDs released in the past few years that my player still rejects. Some are ok but a bunch of them are not. Just let me know what you have and I can try and let you know. I pretty much have them all but there are a few sets that I bought online that had only the BDS for a cheep price so I am missing the DVDs for those. It would be best if the DVDs are from the combo sets since that is when the problem started. To my knowledge older Disney DVDs and titles that are not yet released on BD are ok afaIK.

This is a minor issue sine for the most part folks are not going to play DVDs on this machine, but some folks may not want to invest in the BD or already have the movie and if that is their only copy or the only think available to rent that would cause a problem for them. Personally I have at least 5 other ways or players to watch these with so it has not bothered me.
post #13534 of 13697 Old 06-08-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

FYI I had no issues at all with either Wall-e or Life of Pi. I let Wall-e run through all the crap and also skipped and used the menu button to bypass as well and everything ran fine. Both of those are mighty fine looking. I swear that my player is outputting a better signal now, but I think it is a placebo affect.

I forgot to mention that no one should be having problems with Wall-e on BD since it was released before the problems with Disney BDs started. However there is always the possibility with olden Disney BDs that no one has gotten around to test yet. I threw a bunch of older ones in when 1.7 released and didn't have problems.
post #13535 of 13697 Old 06-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mr K. ...I got my Dumbo DVD back today and it plays fine in the Sammy 5000. I believe this would be the 2006 version of the film. I am not sure which version you have that does not play in your 5000.
post #13536 of 13697 Old 06-09-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post

Mr K. ...I got my Dumbo DVD back today and it plays fine in the Sammy 5000. I believe this would be the 2006 version of the film. I am not sure which version you have that does not play in your 5000.

It's the 70th Anniversary version released on September 20th 2012 I am having trouble with. It is available in an insane number of versions but most commonly in the BD and DVD packaging version of the combo pack and a single DVD. When they remastered it for BD they also released that remastered version on DVD. I would expect older versions of the particular movie to work with out problem.
post #13537 of 13697 Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Sorry, don't own any of those.

And you probably don't have the older (or is it newer?) 8124 loader code. Why don't you look at your system info and let us know what it is.

0321 is mine.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #13538 of 13697 Old 06-09-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Snow White DVD will NOT play; same message.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #13539 of 13697 Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post
Snow White DVD will NOT play; same message.
Thanks for checking. Just what I thought.
post #13540 of 13697 Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi out there in TV Land. I just wanted to check in and make sure everyone made it back from the upgrade/flashback of AVS this week. If you did not notice they were down for a while earlier in the week and went back to the old software that AVS used to run on (which I prefer since there is or was a free mobile client for it). The whole explanation is on the site. Has to do with ownership of AVS and the proprietary software the old owner was using and the new owner can't. Anyhow I see that all mu subscriptions are still in tact and I have been getting notifications from some of them, but not this one since there has not been much activity lately.
post #13541 of 13697 Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Loader 8124 update. The only thing I have been watching since my messing around with my main player and getting loader code 8124 to stick has been GoT. We are just about to the end of season 2 with no ill effects since the changes. If anything things are loading faster but that could just be because I am used to the slow loading HBO titles or maybe persistent memory cache has something to do with it? Hope to get through season 2 and 3 and watch season 4 OnDemand so I can see the last episodes of season 4. My son has been watching them with me for the 1st time and I decided to wait to watch the last 4 episodes until he caught up. Then I need to go back and watch them again with the in movie info mode or whatever they call it. Might wait until season 4 comes out on BD to do that? Have a good weekend all.
post #13542 of 13697 Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

A couple other things I have observed. It seems that with loader code 8124 that my player is running cooler. Normally when I watch a movie and take it out it is rather warm. I have noticed that since I did my messing around last week that discs ejected are much cooler to the touch. Still warm as you would expect but not almost blistering like before. Might just be the particular media, movie, disc etc. that I just watched (GoT season 2 disc 5).

Also the GoT discs seem to modify the behavior of the player in a way I have never seem before. I have noticed that the idler loader elements are different when playing these discs. It's hard to explain. Blank screen with grey bar near bottom of the screen with blue blocks going back and forth (or maybe just forth). After you have followed the process of ejecting the current disc then inserting the next one it wants and playing the next and eject it you get a blank screen rather than the standard blue Samsung screen. You then have to hit stop and the Samsung screen comes up. This is after you eject the disc which is very odd. If you hit menu then the movie will attempt to play and will have info of how long the last disc you had in was. Of course the movie won't play and it just sits on a blank screen with play info at the top. You even have to hit stop to get to the main player menu or the settings screen. I am sure that this is all normal and part of the code that allows the play all feature to prompt for discs. I haven't played with them that much so I don't know if season 1 acts the same as season 2 or if season 3 will act like season 2. BTW this behavior does not persist after you power cycle afaIcT.
post #13543 of 13697 Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

HD DVD The Ant Bully: Dolby TrueHD

Watching now
post #13544 of 13697 Old 06-18-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HD DVD The Ant Bully: Dolby TrueHD

Watching now
Thanks for sharing. I own that one also and I don't recall if I have ever had it in the player yet or not? I sorta recall checking it for load, but who knows.

An update on GoT. We got through all 3 seasons with no issues at all. Not a single hiccup, missed pixel, audio drop or anything. Probably the longest stretch I have gone watching discs and not had at least one thing happen. I switched my loader code somewhere in the middle of all those 15 discs (and played and tested many discs both BD and HD and probably did a couple dozen f/w loads), but don't recall where. Probably near the end of season 2 or the beginning of season 3. The only minor issue I ran into is something I always run into with DTS HD-MA and that is when I skip around sometimes, but not always I have to restore the audio due to the bug in my AVR (not the 5Ks fault, though I'm sure it contributes to the problem). Happened pretty constantly on season 1 and 2 but not much at all on season 3. Might be loader code related, but I will have to wait for when I go back and watch with the in-episodes turned on. I did have a couple times on the last 2 discs of season 3 where the audio blanked out after a skip or ff/rw. I don't consider this an issue since I have a button on the Harmony that restores the audio in a jiffy. I will be keeping those sets and adding the new seasons as well. GoT is must-own HD/HT reference material just has Highdefdigest says in their reviews. I regret selling of my Breaking Bad sets since I got them for a song and sold them for a profit now it's going to cost me to replace them. Thank heavens for Netflix and Amazon Prime in the meantime.
post #13545 of 13697 Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ have the Blu ray of it, too; but, the HD DVD has superior soundtrack...
post #13546 of 13697 Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^ have the Blu ray of it, too; but, the HD DVD has superior soundtrack...
Ya, it's one of the early '06 BDs that came out with crippled DD5.1 instead of a lossless or almost lossless. Why they did not at least include a DTS track is odd. Maybe the tech. was not there yet to cover the DD requirement for BD + something better. Hence why I collect the HDs of all those early releases rather than the BDs even though they did or still have programs where can upgrade (er. downgrade). I have actually sold or given away some BDs from the era when I have found HD replacements. Seems I am going backwards from almost everyone else. Back in the day we called BD "blur-ray" but just as VHS won the war on tape over Beta it EVENTUALLY caught up to the quality and in many ways surpassed it. HD-DVD was a nice stop-gap diversion in the journey on optical disc. Now time for a new media/format/revolution sadly it looks like for the masses that is streaming and for the high end large hard drives (or maybe cloud when broadband catches up) for the massive storage required by 4K Ultra and beyond. I still prefer to spin the discs for CDs as well. I hope BD will be around for a while longer, but I wonder for just how long.
post #13547 of 13697 Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone source The Lego Movie yet? I'm waiting for the flood of watched discs to hit the used market.
post #13548 of 13697 Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

HD DVD Top Gun Dolby TrueHD 6.1 on 7.2 System using PLIIz Heights...

When I select TrueHD from the DISC MENU at the Beginning & DO NOT use the Back Buttons, I have NO Dropout Issues...

Default is Dolby Digital Plus...
post #13549 of 13697 Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another happy BD-UP5000 user

I used to check this thread regularly for upgrade news but have to admit it's been a while and I had almost resigned myself to the realization that there would likely be no further updates ever released for this model. It was great to hear that a new version was available. Downloaded firmware from the Samsung site, burned a CD and updated my player without incident a few days ago to S/W: 120213.01_8124_0924.11_XAA. Titles like Laura that wouldn't load at all and Iron Man 3 that froze on the first screen played without problems. Still my primary BD player and still going strong.
post #13550 of 13697 Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe loaded and played with no issues.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #13551 of 13697 Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTuber View Post
I used to check this thread regularly for upgrade news but have to admit it's been a while and I had almost resigned myself to the realization that there would likely be no further updates ever released for this model. It was great to hear that a new version was available. Downloaded firmware from the Samsung site, burned a CD and updated my player without incident a few days ago to S/W: 120213.01_8124_0924.11_XAA. Titles like Laura that wouldn't load at all and Iron Man 3 that froze on the first screen played without problems. Still my primary BD player and still going strong.
Nice another lucky person with loader code _8124_ I am curious what you were running before and what your upgrade path has been. My guess is that you skipped 1.5 and 1.6 since that is the only way I have found to preserve _8124_

Do me a favor and check the loader version by ejection the tray and holding down the info button on the remote for a few seconds. It should report 8124 as the loader firmware version.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #13552 of 13697 Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Nice another lucky person with loader code _8124_ I am curious what you were running before and what your upgrade path has been. My guess is that you skipped 1.5 and 1.6 since that is the only way I have found to preserve _8124_

Do me a favor and check the loader version by ejection the tray and holding down the info button on the remote for a few seconds. It should report 8124 as the loader firmware version.
Mr K, are you sure about that? As you know I have loader version 8124. Now, I have found the discs I made for for 1.5 and 1.6. My history with firmware upgrades (in all my different components) is to not immediately install them but wait for feedback from those that do. If no issues are noted it is then that I make the upgrade discs and install them. So I am 99.9% sure that 1.5 and 1.6 were installed on my 5000. As to why I have loader 8124.....I do not know but it is not, I believe, from not installing 1.5 or 1.6 firmwares.
post #13553 of 13697 Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
An update on GoT. We got through all 3 seasons with no issues at all. Not a single hiccup, missed pixel, audio drop or anything...
I had a few occasions where the player would pause and freeze up and the only remedy was to power cycle and navigate back to where we were. Fairly annoying when you consider the slow load up.

You have me curious about the loader version. I will check next time I think of it. I don't remember my FW update path either, unfortunately.
post #13554 of 13697 Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post
Mr K, are you sure about that? As you know I have loader version 8124. Now, I have found the discs I made for for 1.5 and 1.6. My history with firmware upgrades (in all my different components) is to not immediately install them but wait for feedback from those that do. If no issues are noted it is then that I make the upgrade discs and install them. So I am 99.9% sure that 1.5 and 1.6 were installed on my 5000. As to why I have loader 8124.....I do not know but it is not, I believe, from not installing 1.5 or 1.6 firmwares.
I am 99.999% sure that is the case, but with this player all bets are off. There have been folks that could not install a particular update only to find the next now would take. Also been folks that have gotten slightly or entirely different results with this player in general and with updates. A couple weekends ago I pulled an all nighter and went through every combination of upgrade order I could think of and reported my results. This was done on three of the five operational units that I have in my possession. I can't explain that if you applied 1.5 and/or 1.6 and never went back and installed 1.2 (or was it 1.3 - I need to check my own post) and ended up with _8124_ how that is possible. In my experience that is a GOOD thing if you did. It seems in my very recent experience that _8124_ makes the loader run at a much lower temperature. I know that sounds odd, but discs are no longer warm to hot to the touch after playing where with _0312_ they seem to be hotter. This is even with it being summer and expecting things to run a little hotter (and my fan is going out in my main player, or needs to be cleaned, again). If you recall many problems were introduced with 1.5 and 1.6 by the firmware engineers using some old code mixed with the new. This also happened with 1.3/1.4 and beyond where things that were fixed up to 1.2 resurfaced and still exist today. My hypothesis is that the older _0321_ loader code got introduced in 1.5 and 1.6 (and never should have been) and has since been corrected (somewhat) with 1.7. At least 1.7 does not override the code as 1.5 and 1.6 do as it keeps whatever code you happen to have. One caveat; I have never updated this player using Ethernet/Internet/On-line. I have always used discs as with this player I have found it safer and more convenient at least for me since I no longer connect my players online and when I did the online updates never worked anyhow (at least for me). There is a possibility that by updating online or a combination of that and discs you could get different results. Also my main player and my "project" player have been flashed so many times that I have lost count and at some point will probably reach their NVRAM burn limit. Since I have gone back and forth through the chain a few times and within it that may cause different results, but I doubt it since all of these updated load the entire code as they are not incremental updated but entire flashes of the firmware. The exception is this loader code thing that I found. However that behavior is easily repeatable (at least for me). If a given firmware messes with the loader code it will, if it does not it won't.

It could simply be that if you followed the upgrade path and never went back that you end up with _8124_ and that is why I am recommending that if you don't have _8124_ that you go back and load 1.2 (if you have it) then go directly to 1.7 then you will be where the optical gods intended you to be at way back with 1.2 which was the last version that had most issues resolved but not all the functionality (and of course not the ability to play most discs).
post #13555 of 13697 Old 06-24-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead View Post
I had a few occasions where the player would pause and freeze up and the only remedy was to power cycle and navigate back to where we were. Fairly annoying when you consider the slow load up.

You have me curious about the loader version. I will check next time I think of it. I don't remember my FW update path either, unfortunately.
I hate to bring this up, but those symptoms are a sign of trouble with the loader and not with firmware afaIK. However if you find that you are on _0321_ loader and not _8124_ you will want to get that fixed and try again (that is if you own the discs and did not rent). Speaking of that, if you rented esp. through Netflix all bets are off. Mailing BDs in flimsy sleeves in the heat of summer breaks down the discs and they start to have issues. Most of those have been out long enough now that the discs will be all beat up and dirty no mater how much you clean and polish them up. Modern BD players are far less sensitive to these issues, but the 5k being an early unit AND having dual lasers and the ability to play many kinds of media it is way sensitive to dust, dirt, fingerprints, smudges, scratches etc. Your discs don't have to be pristine to play problem free, but if you happen to have any type of radial scratch or smudge it will kill playback in my experience. Depending on your particular loader it will be more sensitive to either issues with HDs or issues with BDs or both. I haven't seen one yet that can ride through all minor issues with BOTH HDs and BDs. The one I have in my main player now is the best I have had for BD and for the most part does a great job with HD, but is no way as resilient as some of my others with marginal HDs (being those ex-rentals that I bought for $10 back in the day and thought I was getting a good deal, not!)
post #13556 of 13697 Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I looked back at my post from June 7th (13528). I'm not smart enough to reference it with a link. Anyhow to get your player at _8124_ loader you must first apply 1.2 then jump right to 1.7 (also possible to goto 1.3 then 1.4 on the way. if you want to but really no reason to). If you load up 1.5 or 1.6 you should end up with _0321_ if that is your goal for testing. I did this at least 3 times on a combo of 3 different players and at least once on each one 1.2>1.7 to verify that _8124_ stuck in each case and in each case of loading up 1.5 or 1.6 _0321_ stuck afterward (1.7).

I can see my inner software and hardware tester showing through and a little of my coding coming through with the goto statement. I have done all three professionally in what seems like another life.I was even a hardware engineer for a stint.
post #13557 of 13697 Old 06-25-2014, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

LDR : 8124 / Front : 011
Software : 120213.01_8124_XAA
Region : A/1 (BD/DVD)
Macrovision : UBS01

It took a little while to search through my hard drive, for CD-Rs laying around and browse through earlier posts in this thread and now it all comes back to me.
I applied updates 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.
My recollection is that comments posted about 1.4 seem to suggest it broke more than it fixed. I have the 1.4 update in zip form but looks like I never did even extract the iso. For some of the same reasons and possibly I was lucky enough that almost none of the titles I purchased had playback problems, I don't even have the 1.5 update on my computer. 1.6 seemed to have better reviews and likely I had acquired some troublesome titles that it fixed.
I believe I skipped from 1.3 right to 1.6. (Before updating to 1.7 from 1.6 I had noticed the discussion about 0321 vs. 8124 and checked to confirm 8124, so I'm not sure about the conclusions in your post #13528 on 06-07-2014, 07:54 AM where it's stated that 1.6 will change loader code to 0321.)
post #13558 of 13697 Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I hate to bring this up, but those symptoms are a sign of trouble with the loader and not with firmware afaIK. However if you find that you are on _0321_ loader and not _8124_ you will want to get that fixed and try again (that is if you own the discs and did not rent)...
I think I'll try that this weekend. I do own the discs. I looked and I do still have 1.2 and 1.7 fw versions on my computer.

Could you please refresh my memory on creating the fw disc on a Mac?
post #13559 of 13697 Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTuber View Post
LDR : 8124 / Front : 011
Software : 120213.01_8124_XAA
Region : A/1 (BD/DVD)
Macrovision : UBS01

It took a little while to search through my hard drive, for CD-Rs laying around and browse through earlier posts in this thread and now it all comes back to me.
I applied updates 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.
My recollection is that comments posted about 1.4 seem to suggest it broke more than it fixed. I have the 1.4 update in zip form but looks like I never did even extract the iso. For some of the same reasons and possibly I was lucky enough that almost none of the titles I purchased had playback problems, I don't even have the 1.5 update on my computer. 1.6 seemed to have better reviews and likely I had acquired some troublesome titles that it fixed.
I believe I skipped from 1.3 right to 1.6. (Before updating to 1.7 from 1.6 I had noticed the discussion about 0321 vs. 8124 and checked to confirm 8124, so I'm not sure about the conclusions in your post #13528 on 06-07-2014, 07:54 AM where it's stated that 1.6 will change loader code to 0321.)
Well all I can say is that I was very careful to take two machines back to 1.2 then up to 1.5 then back to 1.2 then up to 1.6 during my testing. I wanted to know exactly what each firmware did to the loader code. It is very possible that this issue/problem/anomaly was caused by 1.5 since it is our favorite scape goat as it caused way more issues (at least with disc pliability) than it fixed. Made Avatar play, but a dozen or so of known older Fox and at least one Disney got toasted by it. Since you skipped it maybe when you loaded 1.6 it did not mess with your loader but I know from my testing if I take any of my players back to 1.2 then to 1.5 or 1.6 after that I end up with _0321_ and not _8124_ I also know that if I take a player back to 1.2 then up to 1.7 right after that _8124_ will stick. That is the only path I found that would work. Then again I have seen stranger things happen with this player. Someone are daring with as much tine (or lack of sleep) on their hands needs to verify or try. I'm convinced now more than ever that _8124_ is the latest intended loader code for this player. Sammy messed up in 1.5 and 1.6 in applying (in most circumstances) the older _0321_ at least that is my theory. I know that the back to 1.2 then un to 1.7 works on at least 3 of my 5 machines as I have those running 1.7 and _8124_ presently and it did not revert/get forced to _0312_ when I went all the way to 1.7. Also have had zero issues and a much better experience with the player since.
post #13560 of 13697 Old 06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead View Post
I think I'll try that this weekend. I do own the discs. I looked and I do still have 1.2 and 1.7 fw versions on my computer.

Could you please refresh my memory on creating the fw disc on a Mac?
You have two options. Use the built in Apple Disc utility to bun a disc image. I forget the menu options but just look for burn disc image and select the unzipped file that you download from the site. You can also use just about any version of Roxio Toast and burn a disc image from there. Be careful not to create a data disc with the file on it. That won't work. The file you download is an ISO disc image and but be burned as such or your player will spit it out and say that it can't read the disc.

Also it is probably best to use a CD-R/W rather than a CR-r for this in case you mess up. I use failed CD-rs for coasters, but they are better used for their intended purpose of media and data. The other reason is that there is a batch of loaders out there that won't accept a CD-r for a f/w update. Don't use a DVD or BD as neither of those will work.

If anyone needs discs I will still make them and send them to you for $5. I have a good supply of CD-r/ws that I inherited from my late father and they are Verbatim so they should work, but I haven't tested them yet. My CD-r for 1.7 is on Verbatim CD-r media and works well in all but my project player. I have/had been using Kodak CD-r/ws that I bought aver a decade ago and they work great also.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page