BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 455 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #13621 of 13642 Old 07-26-2014, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 89
'Robocop' was first originally/conceptually, and brought to the theater screen in 1987.
...Thank you for your cooperation.

In January 2014 it was re-released as a Remastered | Director's Cut version on Blu-ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13622 of 13642 Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
'Robocop' was first originally/conceptually, and brought to the theater screen in 1987.
...Thank you for your cooperation.

In January 2014 it was re-released as a Remastered | Director's Cut version on Blu-ray.
Yup. And my point was of course you would view it with the new 4K remastered re-release since the 1st one from back in I think 2009 was rather flawed. Not terrible, but not great either. If you own the old keep a hold of it for comparison purposes as it is basically worthless (selling for under a buck now). The new one released in January or maybe February this year can be had for no more than $10 new or you can do what I did and pick up a "like new" one on half.com for under 5 clams if you watch for it. I have double dipped on a bakers dozen or so BDs over the years and a few of those I have even triple or quad or even pent dipped since some of them I own on DVD, D-VHS, HD-DVD and now at least two different BD releases. One example would be Terminator 2 and there are a few others; got HD-DVD and two BD versions of The Fugitive. Then there are several I own the HD-DVD or original BD of and have since picked up the Criterion release. Maybe it is more like a couple dozen since there are a bunch that I own on both HD and BD, but that was not my original point. It's nice to have plenty of reference material to see/hear the differences in the PQ and SQ of later releases and transfers.

I wish movies like The Right Stuff and JFK would eventually get down to under $10. Been watching those for some time now. I did finally find a copy of All the Presidents Men for a reasonable price.
post #13623 of 13642 Old 07-27-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
You generally get more for your money if you just buy a non-3D TV that is not a smart one. A Roku is less than $100 and gives you everything and more that a Smart TV would give you (at least for media). Better to just use a laptop, tablet or phone for other Internet stuff. If you want the ability to play all sorts of media content a RaspberryPI is only about $25 bucks and will do everything that a more than $100 Western Digital or other media player will give you. Both the Roku and PI can stream content from a media server as well if you are into that sort of thing. Anyhow thats what I use for all my media; Comcast cable box, Roku, Pi, my trusty 5K and of course my newish Yammy universal player (for everything currently on the market except no HDCD).

That used to be the case, but unfortunately is no longer. In order to get a TV that will perform well you'll need to have it be connected or 3D and possibly both. You may not use those fictions, but the only TVs made these days without that stuff are usually "pro" or commercial monitors.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #13624 of 13642 Old 07-27-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 439
My Smart 3D LG was iIrc, $104...Tax, Title & Fees (Delivered);

it plays DVDs, Blu rays & is my go to player for Pandora, YouTube, & CDs (uses Internet to Display Album Art & Track Info)...
post #13625 of 13642 Old 07-27-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
That used to be the case, but unfortunately is no longer. In order to get a TV that will perform well you'll need to have it be connected or 3D and possibly both. You may not use those fictions, but the only TVs made these days without that stuff are usually "pro" or commercial monitors.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Right you are. I'm old school and haven't shopped for a tv in quite some time for myself but I did help a friend get one recently. A couple years ago there were still quite a few choices that were not smart or 3d. Sad since I don't want that crap though I see the newer ones can decode the netflix streamed 4k content. And also yes many bd players stream and do internet stuff but last I looked each brand lacked at least one of Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, vudu or something else essential to me. Probably changed now. My friend ended up with a Panasonic plasma similar to my 50" I purchased several years ago and a bd player and I don't recall the brand. It did most of what he wanted to do but had no amazon or vudu capabilities. I see that there are still a few choices that are not 3d or smart but they tend to be on the low end. Even more reason for me to install a projector. Tvs would be much less without these features. It's just all marketing. I hear that plasma is going the way of the dodo and dlp is all but gone now. I haven't seen a LCD or led tv yet that I would be happy with that won't break the bank. You used to get so much more for your money and better pq with dlp and plasma. I do own a couple cheep LCD/LEDs for gaming and secondary use, but I won't personally watch tv or movies on them.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 07-27-2014 at 09:15 AM.
post #13626 of 13642 Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Robocop, 3D, 4K, HDTV, Dolby Atmos, Godzilla, Curved TVs, ...it's all crap.

Samsung BD-UP5000 DUO HD player? ...No crap?

* I read a lot in this thread, because me too I own/ed that player, and I truly appreciate all the contributions you made mr.kludge, I truly do.
...I've seen the very beginning of this thread (born), and I've read 13,626 posts.

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-27-2014 at 09:09 PM.
post #13627 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Robocop, 3D, 4K, HDTV, Dolby Atmos, Godzilla, Curved TVs, ...it's all crap.

Samsung BD-UP5000 DUO HD player? ...No crap?

* I read a lot in this thread, because me too I own/ed that player, and I truly appreciate all the contributions you made mr.kludge, I truly do.
...I've seen the very beginning of this thread (born), and I've read 13,626 posts.
You are correct on the 5K. Great piece of technology for its day. Amazing that units are still functioning and even getting updates. Even more amazing is the loyalty to the product. There really are not that many movies that won't play on it and a good number of those have alternatives or ways of viewing; Bubble HD which can be viewed on BD, Thir13en Ghosts can be viewed with the UK release, Splice can be viewed as long as it is not a rental and that leaves Superman/Batman Apocalypse, Chaplin and An American Carol all of which I don't think have been re-checked sine 1.7? I think one of those was verified, but can't remember if it was Chaplin or Superman...I wonder if the UK versions (if they exist) of those movies would play ok? That might work for Superman...since it is a WB and using the UK there has worked in the past however Chaplin and An American Carol are oddballs. Chaplin being a Lionsgate mastered by WB and the other being a Vivendi Can't say I have ever had another one of that studios movies in my possession so unknown if there might be others affected. I doubt that anyone would be interested in them anyhow. Also I recall I had issues with Intruders from Millenium Entertainment and it had the same sort of issues that the Disney movies used to have, but never tried it again. Could be fixed? Most of these movies that don't play no one even cares anymore.

I liked the new Godzilla, new Robocop was ok (still prefer the original), not a fan of 3D, actually like 4K and see that prices have already dropped quite a bit, haven't researched Atmos (most Dolby tech. bores me) and thought the new curved TVs and smart phones look cool, probably the next marketing trick to get us all to buy a new TV. and phone. Anybody remember the good old days when you would rock a TV for a decade or two before you replaced it. Guess the same is for TVs and home entertainment as it is for computing and mobile communications. We used to have a GE professional monitor TV. I think it was a 26" and at the time was considered pretty big. We ran that TV from the mid-late 80s until well into the 2000s. Wife wanted to get a flat screen and I told her we would when the GE died. It never did and I picked up our first plasma at Sam's Club as an open box return for about 1/3 of the current asking price (over 4K under the then current list price). This was sometime in the mid 2000s. Was a Sammy I think 4th gen. EDTV (somewhere just shy of 720p) 42". Was a great TV and had excellent speakers (if I remember right 3-6 buthl rubber surround drivers and a tweeter on each side, reminded me of the good old Peerless drivers that Infinity used to use). As far as I know both it and the old GE are still running. Sold the GE to a coworker and the Sammy to my ex-son-in-law. Didn't want my daughter back in the house, but I sure would like that TV back. Had an excellent picture and sound.
post #13628 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

OK my VCR & Nakamichi tape deck may still work; but, have tried them in a while; the tape deck this century...

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #13629 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post
OK my VCR & Nakamichi tape deck may still work; but, have tried them in a while; the tape deck this century...
I still have 4 working D-VHS decks, so not sure if you can consider them just "VHS" decks. Got 2 hooked up and one as a spare in a box and another I have canibalized for parts, but is mostly functional. Those are all from this century also (at least I think D-VHS came out after 2000?). Sadly I don't have a single cassette deck left. I do have some new blanks that I keep meaning to sell and some expensive rare blanks like TDK metal shell metal tapes that have recordings on and a select few pre-recorded tapes that are valuable, or used to be (MFSL), but all the rest I gave away or took to the recyclers over the past few years. My last remaining decks were in two cars that I traded last year (actually only one had a player in it, the other was the factory stereo I had kept). I always wanted a Naki but ended up with Sony, HK and Denon as I could never afford the Dragon or any of the other Nakis. The only 3-head I had was the Denon and it developed problem that was too much of a bother and expense to fix so I either took it to the dump or donated it to good will.

Some day I want to develop a media museum that will have all the tech. that has been used over the millennia to reproduce sound (or at least the more common/mainstream ones). I don't think I will do it for video also, but some of the other support video; Edison, Victrola, LP Turntable, Open Reel, Cassette, 8Track, DCC, DAT, ELcassette, MP3/iPod/OGG/flac/aac/etc. etc. DVD-Audio and SACD. You get the idea. I suppose my Yammy, 5K, LG and Sammy SACD/DVD-A will suffice for semi-recnt formats including some USB/file stuff so I am well on my way ;-) The only things on the list I have not owned are Edison, Victrola, DCC and ELcasette. I have had one form or another (sometimes many) of all the others over the years. At least 10 turntables (with countless cartridges not all that I can recall), four cassette decks, one reel-to-reel, a music capable SUN DAT drive and at least one 8track player (but never a recorder). At one point I had over 1000 LPs, now I have none and many 1000s of CDs. If I would have known that vinyl would have came back in style I would have held onto all of it and stored it away I had some great stuff back in the day. I have started back up again with a new table and a few LPs a couple times and don't have it completely out of my system. IF and WHEN my son finally moves out I will be turing his suite in the basement into a stereo only mostly analog listening and chill out room. Only 2-channel and maybe a sub with turntable, DAC and a high end optical player only for sources. Probably a tube amp but there are some transistor driven ones I would consider. No other sources or gizmos. Simple clean elegant setup (unlike the man cave/HT is now). I had started on this plan before he came back home from leaving the first time. As it is now I have to hid in the man cave with the DAC and headphones for music listening or every once in a while when the boss is out I get to crank the tunes on the HT.

And I digress again...
post #13630 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM

Quote:
... Didn't want my daughter back in the house, but I sure would like that TV back. Had an excellent picture and sound.
Lol ...Daughter has not good picture & sound.
post #13631 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol ...Daughter has not good picture & sound.
Actually my daughter is a trained pro model amongst other things so she is very easy on the eyes. Having kids still at hone when you should otherwise be empty nesting makes your utility, food and maintenance bills shoot up which leaves less $ for Media and toys but I have never let that stop me. BTW I was in Costco today and there are still a few choices of TVs that lack 3d and smart and are far less than the others. There is even a couple plasmas and a sharp 65" for under a grand that is also not smart or 3d that I could see. I'm glad to see they are mostly just adding smart since WiFi and media streaming is not too much to add and they are no longer charging a premium for that.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #13632 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

Got pictures? ...Of your "trained pro model" daughter?
post #13633 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool

LG would NOT play Blu ray Space Cowboys; kept saying check disk (Spotless).

Samsung BD-UP5000 NO Problems.

RiP James Garner (Jim Rockford).

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #13634 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got pictures? ...Of your "trained pro model" daughter?
Yes, but I won't post them or PM them since I would instantly be identifiable by her picture and a small bit of Google magic. You will have to use your imagination. Natural blonde, electric blue eyes, a little on the short side hence why she isn't making a living modeling (she is currently a banker) and a super sleek athletic build (though she's had some work done on the headlights that daddy advised her not to get). Basically everything dad is not, my complete polar opposite. She is also more of a jock/socialite than a geek/nerd like dad.

Last edited by mr.kludge; Yesterday at 05:12 PM.
post #13635 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LG would NOT play Blu ray Space Cowboys; kept saying check disk (Spotless).

Samsung BD-UP5000 NO Problems.

RiP James Garner (Jim Rockford).
See even the modern BD players have issues. And why in the world aren't you playing the HD? Hock or sell your BD and get the HD for c*rists sake. Dolby Digital at probably a crappy rate compared to DD+ at 1.5mbps (equal though still a little inferior to plain jane DTS).
post #13636 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know where I put those Warner HD DVDs after I rec'd the Blu rays under Red2Blu program...

But, when I do find them & get around to turning my store room into man cave #2 , they & the HD-XA2, or this player, along with spare Blu & DVDs, are going there...
post #13637 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't know where I put those Warner HD DVDs after I rec'd the Blu rays under Red2Blu program...

But, when I do find them & get around to turning my store room into man cave #2 , they & the HD-XA2, or this player, along with spare Blu & DVDs, are going there...
I don't think that trade up (down) was one of the better ones? I never did any exchanges under the program(s). If I recall correctly it cost $ and $ for shipping? As it was most of my HDs cost me less than the fees? Also didn't you have to sacrifice your cover/disc or both under the program?
post #13638 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Made colour copies before I sent in the Art, postpaid (you kept disc & case).

Both SC are 640kbps.
post #13639 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Made colour copies before I sent in the Art, postpaid (you kept disc & case).

Both SC are 640kbps.
I guess you did enough of them to get postage paid? I see that the program is now a DVD2BLU and you have to send in your disc, which is ok since they are a sinch to backup. I could use Domino, Falling Down and maybe Fracture. Got plenty of crappy DVDs lying around to use (you can use any DVD to get the blus under the new program). I own everything else worth owning on there, except for Fringe which I understand is phenomenal on BD but $20 is a little steep. I bet I can find all those movies for less used.

Ah but no pretty blue light ;-)
post #13640 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, any commercially recorded disc; have a potential for about 8 under DVD2Blu; will go through & see what I can buy new or used for 1st.

Did the same for Red2Blu; got the max number then, which was 25, but a set like Planet Earth, counted as 1, so I got something like 32 Blu rays.
post #13641 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

You can send in those worthless HD DVDs I sent you to try.

I've got a few worthless to send, too.
post #13642 of 13642 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, but I won't post them or PM them since I would instantly be identifiable by her picture and a small bit of Google magic. You will have to use your imagination. Natural blonde, electric blue eyes, a little on the short side hence why she isn't making a living modeling (she is currently a banker) and a super sleek athletic build (though she's had some work done on the headlights that daddy advised her not to get). Basically everything dad is not, my complete polar opposite. She is also more of a jock/socialite than a geek/nerd like dad.
I always enjoy reading your posts; you are truly a "fun" man.
...And you helped a lot of people here.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page