BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 457 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #13681 of 13697 Old 08-24-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by eems01 View Post
3 years ago I boxed up my man cave BD-UP5000 and replaced it with a cheap LG player after my wife tired of the firmware game of things working and not. I snapped a picture with the idea of putting it on ebay and never did. Today I was cleaning up bookmarks and jumped in here for old times sake and saw that people are still talking about this player. I did the firmware downgrade to 1.2 and then back to 1.7 to get the higher loader number and the things still works. I tried the just released blu-ray of Disneynature Bears and it played fine. Interestingly the DVD of Bears was rejected by the player but the new DVD from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad played fine??? I contemplated putting it back into action in my living room where my kids stream movies off the NAS to my old Xbox with XBMC (better upscaling than the LG player on my DVD rips by far!) but the entertainment center is a little too cramped. I'm still on the fence about getting rid of it since it has the component video outputs given the fact that my living room Sony KV-34XBR910 does not have HDMI inputs and the XBOX will likely die one of these days. What is a fair asking price for a complete boxed working unit with remote manuals and all the firmware discs including shipping should I decide to part with it?
Welcome back!

If I were you you I would keep it for old times sake. What if you run across an HD-DVD or two (there are still a few movies not on BD) or want to continue to have decent upscaling? This player is just about as reliable as any out there with the latest code. It even plays Twin Peaks just fine. Still only a handful of olden titles you can't play and hardly anyone cares about those movies anymore. Only one HD that I know of (Bubble); Splice rental, Superman/Batman Apocalypse, Chaplin the US release of Thir13en Ghosts and An American Carol. Some of which may play now with 1.7. Been trying to get folks to try Superman/..., Chaplin and An American Carol for ages now since 1.7 released. I have verified that 13... and the Splice Rental still don't load (the retail release of Splice is fine as well as the UK release of 13...). Seems like someone verified either Chaplin or Superman/... a while back but I can't remember.

Regarding the Disney DVD you tried to play; for some reason any release past 1.4 has issues with some of the newish Disney DVDs. It's been reported over and over, but it really is not a problem because why would you play the DVD in this player when you have the BD? Use the DVD in DVD players, computers, car etc. If you really want to be able to play them, just downgrade to 1.4. The loader code should stay the same, it only changes if you load 1.5 or 1.6 and now with 1.7 there is no reason to. There are still a few that won't play on any release (Disney DVDs) one I have ran into is the latest release of Dumbo.

You will need to check on eBay to see what they are going for. I stoked up years ago and have tons of players and parts so I haven't been watching the sales. I would hope you would be able to get at least $50 but possibly more if yours is 100% complete in the original box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13682 of 13697 Old 09-06-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi all. Been a while. Transcendence loads and plays fine, unfortunately ;-)
post #13683 of 13697 Old 09-20-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

So what are the odds that Age of Extinction is going to blow up the 5k? Will be interesting to see what happens. According to what I have read if you want to play the losses 7.1 DDTHD soundtrack you have to select Atmos (the default setting on the disc) and then your AVR should ignore the Atmos stream and pick up the imbedded DDTHD stream. We all know how bad (and in some respects) the way Dolby does their encoding can mess things up.

So anyhow if someone gets around to trying this before me then please let us know. It does not release until the 30th and I won't be buying it until waaaaaaay ager release. Looks like Red Box will have it on the day of release, but no idea if it will have Atmos or be crippled.
post #13684 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
So what are the odds that Age of Extinction is going to blow up the 5k? Will be interesting to see what happens. According to what I have read if you want to play the losses 7.1 DDTHD soundtrack you have to select Atmos (the default setting on the disc) and then your AVR should ignore the Atmos stream and pick up the imbedded DDTHD stream. We all know how bad (and in some respects) the way Dolby does their encoding can mess things up.

So anyhow if someone gets around to trying this before me then please let us know. It does not release until the 30th and I won't be buying it until waaaaaaay ager release. Looks like Red Box will have it on the day of release, but no idea if it will have Atmos or be crippled.
I sure will mister, @ the end of this month. ...Good test for the 5000. ...And from the Blu-ray @ stores, not from Red Box machines or Netflix or all that crap , but only the real deal.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-21-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Emo
post #13685 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I sure will mister, @ the end of this month. ...Good test for the 5000. ...And from the Blu-ray @ stores, not from Red Box machines or Netflix or all that crap, but only the real deal.
Ok, as soon as it hits the box and I have a free code I will check it out also (I already saw it in the theater). My bet is that it will be the real deal. Paramount has not been known to strip the audio in their rentals, though I can't recall if there are one of them that cripples rentals with no bonus content. I think that is usually Universal that pulls that crap probably since none would buy most of their movie releases anyway ;-) There is a first time for everything thought.

I also bet that there is going to be at least one problem out there with this new tech (either with folks AVRs or players). Hopefully it does not render folks set-ups unusable for future releases. They haven't anticipated and offered an option for DDTHD7.1 only or a lossless 5.1 option. You can select a lossy dolby 5.1 and 2.0 mix, but on a movie like that it would be almost like turning off the audio all together. Technically the stream should work with any AVR since it is just additional info that it should throw away, but I know by experience that if you are asking your AVR or player to process and/or ignore extra stuff it can overwhelm one or both units. Now for the 5k, who knows. It will either not be able to deal with the extra data and die, send out all the info on the stream and get overwhelmed but hopefully it won't and all will be well or some other goofy thing will get spit out. I also bet that to avoid most issues we will need to use internal decode rather than bitsreaming. That has been the case with many/most DDTHD7.1 movies of the last few years, mostly the animated ones, but a few CGI ones as well (Bark at the Moon, another Trans. release had issues, though has been reported to be fixed now with 1.7. I haven't had time to test it yet).
post #13686 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention that the 5K is not Atmos "aware" so it will be interesting to see what the default option does, or if it forces the player into dd5.1 mode. So far all audio codecs have been supported and the 5k is aware of them. This new BD wrinkle will be fun to play with. I haven't had much time to read about the tech. and whatever they have built into it to be backwards compatible. Perhaps I need to spend some time on the Atmos forum? I'm sure there is one. Haven't bothered yet, since that tech. in my life is a ways off, unless my AVR decides to tank within the next few years.
post #13687 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I am taking care of that; hanging @ the Dolby Atmos forums.
And I will report back right here what them Dolby Atmos Blu-ray discs do with the 5000 Duo HD player.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #13688 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am taking care of that; hanging @ the Dolby Atmos forums.
And I will report back right here what them Dolby Atmos Blu-ray discs do with the 5000 Duo HD player.
Good 'cuz I'm a late adopter of technology. Not really late, but certainly not an early adopter. Still don't rock an iPhone, tough I love Apple products and have quite a few IOS other devices. Oh wait that makes me an early adopter of phone features since I rock an Android ;-) sorry, had to dig on that. I have enjoyed just about all the new features the 6 has except for fingerprint unlock for over a year now. Larger screen, faster processor, faster WiFi and 4G, NFC contact-less payment, higher resolution. I don't have a Nexus, but the next best thing, Moto Maxx. Oh and it lasts 2-3 days without charging. It's still at 50% and last time it was on the charger was way early Friday morning. Streamed SirusXM in the pool car for several hours on Friday. If I was to keep this up and stay at home using it 3-5 times a day and streaming in the car a little on sort trips I won't need to charge it until Tuesday or Wednesday. That's 5-6 days off the charger. Oh I don't plug it in either, does wireless charging.

Anyhow, when you figure it out, let us all know how the Atmos is "supposed" to be backwards compatible. When I get bored I will look it up, but probably not until I have one of the discs in my hand/player. I'll need to test it in the Yammy and LG BH200 also.
post #13689 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

When I was born my Mom told me that I was cute. Later on, @ age 2, I was already walking.
Then by age 4, I enjoyed watching TV. ...

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #13690 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I was born my Mom told me that I was cute. Later on, @ age 2, I was already walking.
Then by age 4, I enjoyed watching TV. ...
When did you start taking and writing ;-) I was an ugly baby, though my mom said I was cute. I am damn handsome devil now. Probably walked before one, probably started talking before 2 and was reading before kindergarten though I know I did not write until 1st of 2nd grade. We didn't have all this pre-K, preschool craziness 50 years ago when I arrived. Or at least mom and dad could't afford it?
post #13691 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to worry, enjoy today. ...Eventually we're all going to follow the footsteps of our ancestors and their ancestors before them. ;-)

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #13692 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not to worry, enjoy today. ...Eventually we're all going to follow the footsteps of our ancestors and their ancestors before them. ;-)
I am hoping that organ replacement technology (both real and artificial) becomes a reality and that they cure cancer before then. Otherwise I will NEVER get through my movie and TV show collection, let alone watch everything I missed and want to. Perhaps when I retire, but I plan on being way to busy to watch TV and movies much when that comes ;-)
post #13693 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Since I am filling up this thread and the Interwebs with nonsense today I thought I might mention that I have discovered three more of my favorite movies that are not available on BD and probably not any HD format other than the "HD" versions possibly run in cable TV/Premium networks/Streaming etc. They are in no particular order; Birdy, Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse-Five. Ok, so I put them in alpha order.
post #13694 of 13697 Old 09-21-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

For those who care the above mentioned movies are available for a fee on Amazon Prime. All are missing in action on Netflix, but Comcast does have Catch-22 on Pay-per-view OnDemand. Birdy is playing on TCN (The Country Network, WTF?) this month, but I only get it in eye hurt SD with ear pounding crapy audio. Slaughterhouse-Five is missing in action there, which means that since they have been tracking movies it has not aired anywhere there?
post #13695 of 13697 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was shocked to see an update over the Internet recently for this unit. I thought they gave up on it, but I would still check occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #13696 of 13697 Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGator56 View Post
I was shocked to see an update over the Internet recently for this unit. I thought they gave up on it, but I would still check occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As usual, Mr. K was totally on top of this, and sent out the message to all of us here. Thanks again Mr. K.
post #13697 of 13697 Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Wassup doc?

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page