BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 458 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #13711 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
When I first emailed them about six months ago, in a very professional and dignified manner, I never received a response from them, to this day!

Listen, I've been around a lot in this world, and I learned a few ...
If you read their website carefully there are instructions on how to mail in defective discs, that will be replaced I assume at their digression. I can only suggest that you pack up all your defective discs and send them to Jon. Media mail is cheep and you could pack them all up carefully (without cases or booklets).

This sort of thing happens all the time. Optical media is not perfect and it baffles me why some folks seem to have more issues with this than others (climate, environment, storage, bad luck?). Actually all media is imperfect and degrades over time. The only perfect media would be in the "cloud" and that will only keep until the Zombie Apocalypse comes and the power grid goes down forever. As for your comments about Criterion, I tend to find that the more you pay for something the less reliable it is. High end stuff tends to be finicky. Just look at the history of the Sammy BD-UP5000 that most of us on this list own. When first released it was one of the most expensive main-stream optical disc players every released to the general buying public. It for sure had high development and engineering costs, lasted only a couple months in production and came down in price almost the second it hit the shelf. It had tons of problems and still has many today and Samsung has done an ok but for the most part a half-assed effort in supporting it. At least Criterion has now acknoledged there is an official problem with a batch of discs and has offered up a solution. Most studios have a process to follow o get defective discs replaced. Myself I have had to do this a few times and I am sure there are many movies in my collection that have complains involved with them. I've had to swap; Stargate, Sunshine, The Right Stuff and a couple others I can't remember and I just noticed that there was an issue with The Prestige which I did not know about that I need to research. Mot of those were mastering issues and not problems with the media. I know that if you ever have an issue with a Disney that is not due to abuse or misuse that they generally send you out a replacement if you send in your defective disc.

Personally I own probably 50 or so Criterions and only a couple of their DVDs. I have only paid over $20 (tax) for a couple of them (recent ones that are going for $30+) and generally pick them up used. The average price for my buy of 10 last week averaged only $16 each including tax. I prefer this so that I can see the condition of the discs, cases and booklets prior to purchase. I bought my Chronos new online and just opened it this weekend and discovered that it had a broken case that was hidden by the shrink. I have a bunch of new Criterion cases that I bought to replace marginal ones that I have received over the years and have broken for one reason or another so that is no biggie. Costco stocks random Criteron BDs and I have picked up a few there, but have returned most of them since I can generally find them used online for less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13712 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
So do you have a Atmos decoder or not? Can't tell from your post. Some of us would like to know if the 5K is capable of the stream required for it to a comparable decoder or AVR.
Oh, now I see. ...No, I don't have a Dolby Atmos unit.

But, all BD players should be able to play Dolby Atmos Blu-rays. ...Including the Samsung UP5000 Duo.
Because, it is still from the Dolby TrueHD audio encoded soundtrack.

I wouldn't worry one bit about that.
post #13713 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Just checked my copy of The Prestige. Fortunaitly my disc does not look like in the following link so I'm confident it still plays. FYI - there is a known issue with a certain production run of this one and Disney will replace defective copies.

Blu-ray disc rot on a few titles!
post #13714 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, now I see. ...No, I don't have a Dolby Atmos unit.

But, all BD players should be able to play Dolby Atmos Blu-rays. ...Including the Samsung UP5000 Duo.
Because, it is still from the Dolby TrueHD audio encoded soundtrack.

I wouldn't worry one bit about that.
No you don't get it. I'm not worried about the discs playing in olden players and decoding on olden AVRs what I am concerned about is IF the 5K is capable of the stream required for Atmos. I haven't read enough to understand IF you need a capable player, and HDMI cable, AND AVR/Decoder (which is a no-brainer) AND Atmos speakers. I assume that any old speakers will work, but that ones engineered for Atmos might give a better experience? Anyhow, it will be a cold day in hadies before I spend all the cash for something like Atmos. 7.1 is way overkill or my space as it is and there isn't really any content readily out there that is beyond that anyhow. Oh ya you can go overboard with a 11.2 or even more channels but everything is just matrixed anyhow.
post #13715 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Listen, I will try to contact them again, to see if they can give me an address where to send my defective discs, and who's paying for that (I live in Canada), and it takes time for me to check them all. I don't want to keep paying for shipping charges over and over.
Listen, I have several hundred titles here; you have any idea how long it takes to go through them?

It's not just what you have read recently; it goes way beyond that man. Don't assume based on what you have just read; I got Criterion discs from way before that won't play anymore. I ain't talking just about Blu-ray discs here but also DVDs from when Criterion started to release them.
Them DVDs are also experiencing Disc Rot man.

Give me time, it ain't so simple like you would like it to be; there are many many more customers and with various situations. ...Large collections.
Please do understand that. ...It's just not you, but others too, and with a vast library, and not only defective Blu-rays but also DVDs from the Criterion Collection. There is more @ stake here than what you are just reading on the Internet @ various forums.

Thanks for all your tips, but it is more complex than what you make of it.
post #13716 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No you don't get it. I'm not worried about the discs playing in olden players and decoding on olden AVRs what I am concerned about is IF the 5K is capable of the stream required for Atmos. I haven't read enough to understand IF you need a capable player, and HDMI cable, AND AVR/Decoder (which is a no-brainer) AND Atmos speakers. I assume that any old speakers will work, but that ones engineered for Atmos might give a better experience? Anyhow, it will be a cold day in hadies before I spend all the cash for something like Atmos. 7.1 is way overkill or my space as it is and there isn't really any content readily out there that is beyond that anyhow. Oh ya you can go overboard with a 11.2 or even more channels but everything is just matrixed anyhow.
All BD players should be able to output Dolby Atmos; did you just hear what I said.
post #13717 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are truly interested by Dolby Atmos, you could also visit the official thread and ask questions there.

And that 5000 is not the only player on the planet; nowadays you can get a BD player for fifty bucks and it will play for sure Dolby Atmos Blu-ray movies.

If you don't intend to jump on the new Surround Sound (Atmos), then you have no worries whatsoever.

And if other members here are interested by Dolby Atmos, and ready to buy a new receiver, and two or four overhead speakers, then they also have money for a new BD player; just in case that their 5000 caput on them. ...But I highly doubt it; the 5000 is still a solid machine for very few of us, and it will play Dolby Atmos soundtracks...that, I'm positively convinced.
post #13718 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

My first 5000 I threw it from the window; I was just too frustrated, and it broke in hundreds of small pieces.
Later a friend gave me his, and now I feel much better, as it is working good enough. ...Extremely slow though. I only keep it for HD DVD nostalgia, because I also have three other HD DVD players.

And for Blu-rays I got another dedicated Sammy BD player, few Sony BD/SACD players, a Panasonic one, an Oppo one, and I'm all good to go till my next true 4K Oppo one with HDMI v.2.0 and HDCP true 2.2
I'm also big on 3D, and HD DVD doesn't do 3D, and no HD DVD players do.
But my TV does, upconvert 2D into 3D, so I can do that with all my HD DVDs. ...If I want to.

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-05-2014 at 03:03 PM.
post #13719 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Listen, I will try to contact them again, to see if they can give me an address where to send my defective discs, and who's paying for that (I live in Canada), and it takes time for me to check them all. I don't want to keep paying for shipping charges over and over.
Listen, I have several hundred titles here; you have any idea how long it takes to go through them?

It's not just what you have read recently; it goes way beyond that man. Don't assume based on what you have just read; I got Criterion discs from way before that won't play anymore. I ain't talking just about Blu-ray discs here but also DVDs from when Criterion started to release them.
Them DVDs are also experiencing Disc Rot man.

Give me time, it ain't so simple like you would like it to be; there are many many more customers and with various situations. ...Large collections.
Please do understand that. ...It's just not you, but others too, and with a vast library, and not only defective Blu-rays but also DVDs from the Criterion Collection. There is more @ stake here than what you are just reading on the Internet @ various forums.

Thanks for all your tips, but it is more complex than what you make of it.
Actually it is simple. Just go through all your BDs and identify ones that don't play. If you don't want to send in batches then wait until you have tried all of them. I just when through all my suspect titles this weekend. Took me maybe a half hour to load, chapter skip and FF/RW at a couple high speeds to verify (not a 100% test, but good enough for me). Took me longer with the magnifying glass to look at mould and production codes since my eyes are bad. Others I know are ok since I acquired them recently and others are still sealed and will stay that way until I get around to playing them. Ya, it sucks that you live in Canada, but I don't think you can expect Criterion to pay the freight to send them in, but maybe if you have a ton of them they might work with you, but if you show even a fraction of the attitude you show here toward them they might tell you to pound sand. You might even get some credit or coupons towards new titles. Like I said before shite happens and things go wrong and break down over time.
post #13720 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you are truly interested by Dolby Atmos, you could also visit the official thread and ask questions there.

And that 5000 is not the only player on the planet; nowadays you can get a BD player for fifty bucks and it will play for sure Dolby Atmos Blu-ray movies.

If you don't intend to jump on the new Surround Sound (Atmos), then you have no worries whatsoever.

And if other members here are interested by Dolby Atmos, and ready to buy a new receiver, and two or four overhead speakers, then they also have money for a new BD player; just in case that their 5000 caput on them. ...But I highly doubt it; the 5000 is still a solid machine for very few of us, and it will play Dolby Atmos soundtracks...that, I'm positively convinced.
No, no interest in the tech at the current time, just curious for me and others if it is capable, which we still don't know for sure since you'd don't have a decoder. My limited understanding and reading indicates that Atmos is a new advanced stream with additional material which would make sense since you can play a movie with it through an olden AVR and just get the DDTHD 7.1 info. In the case of aoE, which I am watching the rest of now before it is due back at the box the only lossless option is Atmos. Doesn't make sense to me that it is just part of the DDTHD, but would not surprise me.

Have a good one.
post #13721 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My first 5000 I threw it from the window; I was just too frustrated, and it broke in hundreds of small pieces.
Later a friend gave me his, and now I feel much better, as it is working good enough. ...Extremely slow though. I only keep it for HD DVD nostalgia, because I also have three other HD DVD players.

And for Blu-rays I got another dedicated Sammy BD player, few Sony BD/SACD players, a Panasonic one, an Oppo one, and I'm all good to go till my next true 4K Oppo one with HDMI v.2.0 and HDCP true 2.2
I'm also big on 3D, and HD DVD doesn't do 3D, and no HD DVD players do.
But my TV does, upconvert 2D into 3D, so I can do that with all my HD DVDs. ...If I want to.
Well that was silly ;-) What a waste of time, resources and funds. Anyhow I don't find my 5K that much slower than my fairly new Yammy. Sure is is faster with most discs, but lots of discs load up really quick, even newer ones with the 5K. The exception is anything from Fox, some Sony titles and most Criterions take a while also. However they take just about as long in the Yammy as the 5K. I'm sure most of the high end players take a little longer than the $50 players. And I think the 5K can still hold it's own compared to most players out there these days. Sure not the latest tech, but still gives me great PQ and awesome SQ.
post #13722 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually it is simple. Just go through all your BDs and identify ones that don't play. If you don't want to send in batches then wait until you have tried all of them. I just when through all my suspect titles this weekend. Took me maybe a half hour to load, chapter skip and FF/RW at a couple high speeds to verify (not a 100% test, but good enough for me). Took me longer with the magnifying glass to look at mould and production codes since my eyes are bad. Others I know are ok since I acquired them recently and others are still sealed and will stay that way until I get around to playing them. Ya, it sucks that you live in Canada, but I don't think you can expect Criterion to pay the freight to send them in, but maybe if you have a ton of them they might work with you, but if you show even a fraction of the attitude you show here toward them they might tell you to pound sand. You might even get some credit or coupons towards new titles. Like I said before shite happens and things go wrong and break down over time.
Yeah, just blame me man, blame me for being disappointed, blame me for buying a defective product over and over, blame me from what you think my words mean when you read them here.

Love your life, love your family, love your children, love your friends, love Criterion, love your 5000, and respect people who have been burned off all their life; understand their suffering, have compassion for them.
Not everyone had a good chance in life, just look @ ... I won't go there; you know what I mean.

But have respect for people who had issues with Samsung, with Onkyo, with Criterion, with Sony, with Panasonic, with Disney studios, with Universal studios, with FOX studios, ...not everyone have been happy during their entire lifetime.

Respect people who have something to say deep from their heart, even if you don't like it yourself because you too have been in that situation once and twice, and it's nice to have support around, capitch?

When I send an email to a company in trying to understand and see if there is a common agreement that can be reached for the happiness of everyone, and where the responsibilities laid, do you think that I ain't professional and in due form enough? Do you think that my talking to you right now is reflective @ 100% of my business dealings?

I had a very good education, I'm smart, well outspoken, very professional when it's time, so don't judge me like you wouldn't like to be judged by others yourself. ...That's all man, very simple.

I'll get through it, you too, we all always do. ...But it is also nice to support one another in times like these, understand? ...That's what motivates us to fix the issues, to resolve problems, to help each other, to learn, to share, ....because each one of us has something positive to share, even if some people don't like it. ...There is a solution, a truth somewhere, and we all looking for it.

I'm me man, I'm myself, I express in my own unique way, just like you do yourself in your own unique way. And always with the greatest respect for everyone. ...Keep on track, and all is good.

Don't be afraid to say your discomfort, your mecontentement, your unhappiness because someone is trying to distort the truth, or interpreted you wrongly, ...try to discuss in an open manner and with respect; then and only then we might find peace and agreement with each other (Criterion versus their customers).

That's all there is to it man.
post #13723 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, no interest in the tech at the current time, just curious for me and others if it is capable, which we still don't know for sure since you'd don't have a decoder. My limited understanding and reading indicates that Atmos is a new advanced stream with additional material which would make sense since you can play a movie with it through an olden AVR and just get the DDTHD 7.1 info. In the case of aoE, which I am watching the rest of now before it is due back at the box the only lossless option is Atmos. Doesn't make sense to me that it is just part of the DDTHD, but would not surprise me.

Have a good one.
I knew you were just curious yourself, and for others. And I would love to help you out all.
Someone else perhaps have the 5000 and a Dolby Atmos receiver and TF4 on Blu.
...You get more traffic @ the official Dolby Atmos thread.

And yes you are right; for people like us (without a Dolby Atmos decoder) TF4 comes up as full lossless bitstream Dolby TrueHD 7.1-channel surround sound audio soundtrack, and it still truly rocks.
But we are still missing the full essence of the overhead speaker's elevated information; the full enveloping sound immersion. ...And I'm going there; slowly but surely. And reading all the comments from owners so far is a true revelation; very tough to resist, and be patient for the next Dolby Atmos generation products with Auro-3D inside them too, and Auromatic up-mixer, and whatever dts will be comin' up with their new fever, furor (MDA, or dts-UHD, or ...?). I want it all, I want to live with verve, I want to be wise, I want content, and contentment as well. I want software, smart/quality software, ...so that I can purchase the hardware with total confidence, and without regrets.

* Dolby Atmos is part of Dolby TrueHD and DD+. It adds metadata to positioned specific objects anywhere where you put speakers, and between them. It's the new surround sound revolution/evolution, and it's a major one, a very important one in this life's cycle that is ours; 2014 and beyond to infinity ...

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-05-2014 at 05:51 PM.
post #13724 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well that was silly ;-) What a waste of time, resources and funds. Anyhow I don't find my 5K that much slower than my fairly new Yammy. Sure is is faster with most discs, but lots of discs load up really quick, even newer ones with the 5K. The exception is anything from Fox, some Sony titles and most Criterions take a while also. However they take just about as long in the Yammy as the 5K. I'm sure most of the high end players take a little longer than the $50 players. And I think the 5K can still hold it's own compared to most players out there these days. Sure not the latest tech, but still gives me great PQ and awesome SQ.
Listen man, I originally purchased ny 5000 for $800 (Canadian dollars). That was then, and my last player, the Oppo 103 I paid $500 plus Canadian tax and some shipping fee (roughly $600 all together), and it does a whole lot more, except playing HD DVDs. It is quick fast too. And it is much better built, and extremely silent compared to the very noisy and clunky 5000. Trust me, I have them both, and a whole bunch more.

My Oppo 103 had over 20 firmware updates, full support, very fast support too, and it is a dream to drive compared to the 5000.

Hey, the 5000 is a great player; plays both high def video formats (I got roughly 400 HD DVDs), has a good video processor (HQV Reon chip), is good with DVDs, and I'm no longer complaining.

I love life man, and everything in it, even if it ain't always "pink" (meaning 'nice').

Times fly, and with it us too.
mhobart likes this.
post #13725 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I knew you were just curious yourself, and for others. And I would love to help you out all.
Someone else perhaps have the 5000 and a Dolby Atmos receiver and TF4 on Blu.
...You get more traffic @ the official Dolby Atmos thread.

And yes you are right; for people like us (without a Dolby Atmos decoder) TF4 comes up as full lossless bitstream Dolby TrueHD 7.1-channel surround sound audio soundtrack, and it still truly rocks.
But we are still missing the full essence of the overhead speaker's elevated information; the full enveloping sound immersion. ...And I'm going there; slowly but surely. And reading all the comments from owners so far is a true revelation; very tough to resist, and be patient for the next Dolby Atmos generation products with Auro-3D inside them too, and Auromatic up-mixer, and whatever dts will be comin' up with their new fever, furor (MDA, or dts-UHD, or ...?). I want it all, I want to live with verve, I want to be wise, I want content, and contentment as well. I want software, smart/quality software, ...so that I can purchase the hardware with total confidence, and without regrets.

* Dolby Atmos is part of Dolby TrueHD and DD+. It adds metadata to positioned specific objects anywhere where you put speakers, and between them. It's the new surround sound revolution/evolution, and it's a major one, a very important one in this life's cycle that is ours; 2014 and beyond to infinity ...
Ya, sure, but no interest in reading or hanging out there until I actually have the tech if ever. It's easier to ask here since you seemed to be an expert. Sorry if I put you out by asking. Sounds like you are just what the industry needs, a true consumer and early adopter. Thanks for blazing the trail. I used to be that way, but I have changed over the years into a boring old dude that is just trying to make the most of what he has. Who knew way back in the late '70s when I attended my first consumer electronics like computer convention that they would continue to perfect the tech to these levels. I think it might have been back in the Interface days, or maybe it was a CES show. I forget. Anyhow, I had experimented with Quad, both discrete and matrix (except they called it something else) when I was a kid. Cobbled together a couple amps and two sets of speakers. This was before I got into subs, before almost anyone else had them in their houses and cars. Still have a RS decoder in a closet somewhere. Anyhow I saw some of the first dolby surround type systems and marveled at what was being done. Wasn't until just a few short years ago that I got the ambition, energy and funds to cobble together my first HT.
post #13726 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Listen man, I originally purchased ny 5000 for $800 (Canadian dollars). That was then, and my last player, the Oppo 103 I paid $500 plus Canadian tax and some shipping fee (roughly $600 all together), and it does a whole lot more, except playing HD DVDs. It is quick fast too. And it is much better built, and extremely silent compared to the very noisy and clunky 5000. Trust me, I have them both, and a whole bunch more.

My Oppo 103 had over 20 firmware updates, full support, very fast support too, and it is a dream to drive compared to the 5000.

Hey, the 5000 is a great player; plays both high def video formats (I got roughly 400 HD DVDs), has a good video processor (HQV Reon chip), is good with DVDs, and I'm no longer complaining.

I love life man, and everything in it, even if it ain't always "pink" (meaning 'nice').

Times fly, and with it us too.
Nice. I own five 5Ks and have less into them than you paid for the first one of yours (even including all the spare parts I have acquired). First one was a scratch and dent (actually just discontinued) from Crutchfiled and cost me nothing (Discover cash back bucks like everything else a/v in my house and cars). The other four were mostly ~$50 off of eBay and I bought one off of someone here years ago with a bunch of HD movies (all that I already owned). Hence I have had no interest in one of the Oppo players. I think Crutchfiled now does or used to carry those, but they have always been too spendy for me. Anyhow, I am sure they are great and do things like make your coffee in the morning, iron your shirts and take the dog on a walk, but I have my Yammy player for all that. My 5K is really quiet except I do need to clean the exhaust fan again. Really no reason to get rid of them. Kinda fun to know that I will have a viable player at least until I kick the bucket and beyond. I have an A35 and other players as well all that I got from Crutchfiled as well.
post #13727 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm no expert Mr. Kludge, just a big surround sound fan. I always reply to you to the best of my abilities.
And if I can't I will provide you with links. I never abandoned this thread, never. I always read your great contributions, and always appreciated your own unique style, with great admiration and respect.

I told some of my own life experiences with surround sound @ various audio websites.
As early as 1967-69 I was already into surround sound, and with a back rear center mono speaker channel.
I built that speaker myself.

Anyway, before that I made pseudo stereo from mono AM r.a.d.i.o. ...Around 66 or so. ...Even before I believe.

I could easily write a book, but I won't; not here and not now.
post #13728 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm no expert Mr. Kludge, just a big surround sound fan. I always reply to you to the best of my abilities.
And if I can't I will provide you with links. I never abandoned this thread, never. I always read your great contributions, and always appreciated your own unique style, with great admiration and respect.

I told some of my own life experiences with surround sound @ various audio websites.
As early as 1967-69 I was already into surround sound, and with a back rear center mono speaker channel.
I built that speaker myself.

Anyway, before that I made pseudo stereo from mono AM r.a.d.i.o. ...Around 66 or so. ...Even before I believe.

I could easily write a book, but I won't; not here and not now.
Nice, sounds like we have had similar experiences. When I was a kid, mostly out of necessity, I build several sets of speakers. Actually I modified the first set I got as a b-day present multiple times and experimented with my own combos of drivers and crossovers, both off the shelf and of my own fabrication. I still have some of my speaker building manuals around here somewhere. After that I built at least 3 other sets and also built a Klipch K-horn out of some plans with a friend. It had a dual voice coil 12" driver and I powered it with a NAD 20w/ch. receiver. The think would literally knock things loose in the house. It was like 110db efficient with 1w. I have never owned anything like is since. We tuned it for maximum destruction. Had two giant coils as the only X-over. To this day I prefer 2-channel speakers with 6bd/octave x-overs. I find them to sound better and be much more musical than the multiple driver speakers with complicated crossovers with too many components that muddle the sound. Just my personal preference.

You must be a bit older than me. Stereo sound and color TV were pretty much the norm when I was grown' up. However stereo on TV did not come along until I was well into my 20s if I remember right? Oh I miss that Emerson stereo TV that cost me $500 back in the day. As I recall it was one of the first affordable flat front CRTs with stereo sound and was actually a piece of crap, but I ran it well into the first several years of our marrage. Would have been the early-mid 80s and MTV and music videos were all the rage. Was way into Super-Beta HiFi stuff back then, and of course CDs had just appeared on the market. Still rocked a great turntable with a dozen or so cartridges. Man, those were the good old days when you had to run a LP through the vac-o-rec, then clean it with the Discwasher and clean the stylus before each play. Kids these days don't know how easy they have it. I built the first Pennywhistle modem that I used to get online in HS electronics class WAY before the Internet was around. The Arpanet was just getting to the point then before it was starting to be called the Internet or whatever. I used it to connect to the DEC-10 at the local University and to the school districts HP3000 both of which I don't think were "online" to the rest of the world at the time. That came a few years after than. Ah, 300 baud. Those were the good old days when you could read faster than the data was coming over the line.
post #13729 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I was born before TVs existed, or just around that corner, and then my Dad had one, with a round screen, you know, black and white; I remember. I'm 60, I bet you are around that too.

You're a tough man; in the sense that you are the only survivant (lone survivor) here in this BD-UP5000 Duo player's thread. If it wasn't for you this thread would have fallen into oblivion a long time ago.

You keep it alive, and by weaving some of your own life's experiences, and by entertaining exotic discussions.
Very human survival instinct; you love all your 5000s with a deep passion. You got to be admired for this; and I do admire you, your fervor and passion and dedication. ...Your audience is small but for you it isn't what counts in life.

Yes, I did few silly things in my lifetime, and I'm still young @ heart. ...Or I wouldn't be here, and over there.
mhobart likes this.
post #13730 of 13738 Old 10-05-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi all. I hope you are all well and see this amongst all the other banter this weekend. Anyhow, I finished watching Age of Extinction all the way through just before it was due back at the box. Interesting that the only audio drops I detected were near the first of the movie in the 1st fight scene very near the start of the movie. On my 1st view there was just one minor drop. When I revisited that section today there were two; one at the same spot as before and another shortly after during some semi-high action scenes in that fight. What is odd is that I got no other drops at all the rest of the movie and there are many scenes that are way more intense than that first one. As I recall Bark at the Moon was riddled with drops, but that was before 1.7 was released. I haven't gone back and visited that movie in quite some time, but others reported it being cleaned up with 1.7. Anyhow, I will have to more critically watch it when I buy it. I forgot how long a movie it is (nearly 3 hours) and that is quite the time commitment for me (I can watch 3-4 maybe 5 episodes of TV shows in that time). I am now hopelessly behind on the DVR, again. Have fun and take care out there.
post #13731 of 13738 Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are you two married?

If not, you should really consider getting a (physical rather than virtual) room to discuss and express your true feelings.
post #13732 of 13738 Old 10-10-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
If not, you should really consider getting a (physical rather than virtual) room to discuss and express your true feelings.
Can't you just say "get a room" ;-) Sorry to offend we will keep our chatter 5k related.

Anyone else watch Age of Extinction all the way through to check for dropouts? I still need to remember to report the new Paramount no play at menu screen issue on both AoE and Noah.
post #13733 of 13738 Old 10-10-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
Are you into threesome?
post #13734 of 13738 Old 10-10-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can't you just say "get a room" ;-) Sorry to offend we will keep our chatter 5k related.

Anyone else watch Age of Extinction all the way through to check for dropouts? I still need to remember to report the new Paramount no play at menu screen issue on both AoE and Noah.
Hi,

I got them both Blu-ray titles ('Noah' and 'TF4'), but I did not check them all the way in my 5000.
For that I used my 103.

* Good point though; that both titles are only accessible through the "Scenes" main menu.
They won't play normally, like in all other BD players; by simply clicking "Enter" when pointing 'Play',
or directly by pressing the "Play" button.

And that's how old and awkward is the Samsung BDP-UP5000 Duo HD player, after all them years.
But! @ least it plays them. ...Plus HD DVD titles of course.
post #13735 of 13738 Old 10-10-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you into threesome?
Only when me (or is it I) and two hot chicks are involved. No harry guys, gross
post #13736 of 13738 Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

I got them both Blu-ray titles ('Noah' and 'TF4'), but I did not check them all the way in my 5000.
For that I used my 103.

* Good point though; that both titles are only accessible through the "Scenes" main menu.
They won't play normally, like in all other BD players; by simply clicking "Enter" when pointing 'Play',
or directly by pressing the "Play" button.

And that's how old and awkward is the Samsung BDP-UP5000 Duo HD player, after all them years.
But! @ least it plays them. ...Plus HD DVD titles of course.
No need on Noah as it is DTS and I had no issues. It might audio drop if NOT played in 24fps. That's an oldey, but goodie bug with the 5k (audio drops with DTS-HD MA at 60fps. Also a bug I have not verified as fixed or still there with 1.7. I recall that I don't own any or many or the affected titles. Seems like Robbin Hood, the Kevin Costner version was one? I think the Iron Man's might have the issue and I might have spot checked, but don't remember as that was like a year ago 1.7 was released.).

Oh and the recent Paramount issue is not really 100% the fault of the 5K. It is a mastering change on Paramount end that was not properly regression tested to olden players. My guess is that the 5K is not the only Sammy player that will have the issue and possibly not the only player out there with the issue. At least there is a workaround.
post #13737 of 13738 Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No need on Noah as it is DTS and I had no issues. It might audio drop if NOT played in 24fps. That's an oldey, but goodie bug with the 5k (audio drops with DTS-HD MA at 60fps. Also a bug I have not verified as fixed or still there with 1.7. I recall that I don't own any or many or the affected titles. Seems like Robbin Hood, the Kevin Costner version was one? I think the Iron Man's might have the issue and I might have spot checked, but don't remember as that was like a year ago 1.7 was released.
I can check them both titles if you want me to, because I goth those both too on Blu. ...All of them Iron Man flicks. And the four Robin Hood flicks; the old one, the pantyhose one (in Tights), the Kevin one, and the Crowe one.

Quote:
Oh and the recent Paramount issue is not really 100% the fault of the 5K. It is a mastering change on Paramount end that was not properly regression tested to olden players. My guess is that the 5K is not the only Sammy player that will have the issue and possibly not the only player out there with the issue. At least there is a workaround.
All movie studios with them manufacturing plants and paranoia about pirates from the vast oceans, are the ones truly @ fault; and not the Sammy 5000, ever. ...The 5000 all by itself is almost a perfect player, with an imperfect supporter; Samsung company.

* Listen, if you need help, any kind of help, make a list, and I'll see what I can do. ...In time.
post #13738 of 13738 Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The Fault In Our Stars and Blended both load and play without trouble.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page