BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 459 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #13741 of 13761 Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Yep, can't blame the 5000 this time around; that's for sure.

* Any new BD releases you would like me to check sir? ...In the UP5000.
You name it; I'll do it for ya: 'Godzilla', 'X-Men' (latest), 'Live - Die - Repeat', ...anyone you can think of.
Just do what we all do. When you watch one report if it is or is not playable and if there are any anomalies. I'm not that interested in any of those at this point. Saw them all in the theater and only X-Men and God... are worth owning ImoHO. I will likely pick them up in 6 mo. to a year when used for cheep or maybe get them on Black Friday/Holliday deals. My guess is at least one of those will be loss leaders for the sales. Also I don't EXPECT any issues with those being WBs and a Fox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13742 of 13761 Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 600
No like 'Edge of Tomorrow'? ...'Bout 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'? ...Paramount.

Ok man; I just keep doin' like I usually do then: Play them Blus in my Oppo BD player, in 3D.
post #13743 of 13761 Old 10-23-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No like 'Edge of Tomorrow'? ...'Bout 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'? ...Paramount.

Ok man; I just keep doin' like I usually do then: Play them Blus in my Oppo BD player, in 3D.
Uh..any nice AVSer would at least stick each new movie you buy into the 5K to at least verify that it will load and play, so no, don't do what you usually do. I'm not interested in those, but others may be if they are considering purchases/rentals and only have a 5k. Captain America should be Disney and worth checking. So maybe try the 2D in the 5K and play the movie in your other player in trend setting 3D.
post #13744 of 13761 Old 10-26-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Dammit the f-ing movie Bad Words loads and plays without issues. And the *holes at the box have stocked the real version with bonus scenes etc.
post #13745 of 13761 Old 10-26-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Uh..any nice AVSer would at least stick each new movie you buy into the 5K to at least verify that it will load and play, so no, don't do what you usually do. I'm not interested in those, but others may be if they are considering purchases/rentals and only have a 5k.
Captain America should be Disney and worth checking. So maybe try the 2D in the 5K
and play the movie in your other player in trend setting 3D.
Alright man; I will try 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' tonight or tomorrow in my 5000 and report right here. And it is my pleasure to do this (only takes few minutes anyway), if it helps others.

* I already saw it, in 3D, in my Oppo 103. ...And it played.

<<>> I wonder; how many members (and guests) read this thread?
post #13746 of 13761 Old 10-26-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, 'Captain America: The First Avenger 3D' is from Paramount studios, a Marvel 'incendiary' (partner in crime).
And 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D' is from Disney studios (Buena Vista), Marvel comics.

About that!
post #13747 of 13761 Old 11-02-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
By the way, 'Captain America: The First Avenger 3D' is from Paramount studios, a Marvel 'incendiary' (partner in crime).
And 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D' is from Disney studios (Buena Vista), Marvel comics.

About that!
Ya thats because Disney bought Marvel after the 1st but before the 2nd.
post #13748 of 13761 Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Did someone at one point indicate that the rentals of Escape Plan are hobbled with DD5.1 rather than DTS-HD MA 7.1? Just wondering since the box near my house still has it in it and I missed it when it was on HBO/Cinemax and I want to see it, but don't want to waste a free rental or pay for a hobbled movie. I'd rather d/l it in 720P/1080P and DTS 5.1/7.1 than rent a BD with only DD audio.

Anyhow I opted for The Rover with my free rental code this weekend rather than it. I figured that it will be back on the movie channels or on Amazon and Netflix soon since The Last Stand is already on those and around a year older and also Lionsgate/Summit.

So far The Rover loaded (twice, stopped to set the calendar/clock in the 5K, don't know why it has no function or way to display anyhow) and is playing without a hitch.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 11-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
post #13749 of 13761 Old 11-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Did someone at one point indicate that the rentals of Escape Plan are hobbled with DD5.1 rather than DTS-HD MA 7.1?

Mr. K,

My rental was DTS-HD MA 7.1. This was from a Canadian Red Box.

Rick
post #13750 of 13761 Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick View Post
Mr. K,

My rental was DTS-HD MA 7.1. This was from a Canadian Red Box.

Rick
Thanks. I see that it is back on HBO at the end of the month, so I will probably watch it there, unless I get another code and looking for something I haven't seen to rent.

BTW - The Rover played just fine. My opinion on the movie is that it is not worthy of the "Highly Recommended" rating on HighDef digest.

bb
post #13751 of 13761 Old 11-04-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Captain America should be Disney and worth checking. So maybe try the 2D in the 5K and play the movie in your other player in trend setting 3D.
Quote:
Alright man; I will try 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' tonight or tomorrow in my 5000 and report right here. And it is my pleasure to do this (only takes few minutes anyway), if it helps others.
It first shows a screen with languages (English is highlighted); you click on it.
Then another screen (main menu with Play highlighted); you click on it.
...And it plays; perfectly fine.

* It takes some time for uploading, but it works.
post #13752 of 13761 Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It first shows a screen with languages (English is highlighted); you click on it.
Then another screen (main menu with Play highlighted); you click on it.
...And it plays; perfectly fine.

* It takes some time for uploading, but it works.
Good to know it acts jus t like it should and I expect nothing less. I happened to pick this up used the other day.
post #13753 of 13761 Old 11-16-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi all you 5kers out there. Just wanted to let you know that the Lionsgate movie A Most Wanted Man loads and plays fine with no issues. However I fell asleep in it 4 times Friday night and just could not get into it yesterday so I took it back mostly unwatched. I guess I was not in the mood for that type of movie or it is just the most boring movie I have ever watched. Anyhow should have gone with Chef instead.

On a side note I got a note in E-mail early last week from Jon at Criterion letting me know that a package was on the way to me. It arrived yesterday and contained both the replacement for Seventh Seal and Eraserhead. I still have not opened my original Eraserhead so I have BOTH the original blem unopened with the flaw AND a replacement disc without the flaw that I an play without opening the original. Needless to say the original will remain unopened and I will probably buy a new one used or new depending on deals I can get for my play copy. Actually hoping for a used blem original so that I can see the flawed version (just a few seconds of one scene missing). I was also sent a $10 off coupon for my trouble, which I think is pretty dang cool and more than makes up for the paltry amount of shipping I had to spend to get the disc back to them.

I also picked up 16 more Criterions last week. One of these days I will get around to opening, trying and inspecting them. Nice to know that if I ever run into bad ones all I need to do is write a nice note and send it back to them and they will take care of it.
mhobart likes this.
post #13754 of 13761 Old 11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a fair gesture from Criterion.

* I'll have to email them again...
mhobart likes this.
post #13755 of 13761 Old 11-16-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's a fair gesture from Criterion.

* I'll have to email them again...
E-mail alone will not work (it helps to let Jon know if you are sending stuff in). You have to follow their process and procedure which is to pack up all your bad discs, send them in with a nice note about what the issues are and then they will replace them. Currently they have acked that for sure they know some titles are defective, but it has not changed from the old days like most studios that you just send them in and they send replacements back (just the discs). Some studios and as I mentioned even Criterion in limited circumstances will send you replacements without the original. I have a few here and there that have been replaced over the years. Most you just call up, E-mail or send a letter and the replacement shows up in the mail, eventually. A couple here and there have made me send in either the entire package or just the defective discs. Of course you want to keep good records and probably take a pic of each one and keep an inventory of what you sent and use USPS delivery confirmation with the order at the very least. I have posted their procedure here at least once recently and it is also on their website.
mhobart likes this.
post #13756 of 13761 Old 11-16-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I see, and I understand. ...I'll act accordingly, ...shipping expenses or not.
post #13757 of 13761 Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see, and I understand. ...I'll act accordingly, ...shipping expenses or not.
Regarding shipping expenses in just about every case of warranty service, express or otherwise that I have been involved with I have had to and expect to have to pay freight to somewhere to be fixed or exchanged or some sort of transportation in order to be repaired, like driving 100-150 miles (round trip) to the nearest repair center to drop of and go get it again. Anyhow, I bet you could put your entire collection in paper sleeves and ship to NY from just about anywhere in the US for only a few bucks media mail, even packed very carefully. If you are out of the US, like I think you indicated, then it might be a tad more pricey?
post #13758 of 13761 Old 11-17-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

1. I'm Canadian.
2. It'll take me a long time to verify all my Criterion titles.
3. I'd love to send the unplayable ones right now, but that won't be the last shipment.

Anyway, each case is different. ...And I've read yours.
post #13759 of 13761 Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Chef loads and plays with no issues.
post #13760 of 13761 Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried to update my daughters player using latest firmware(2013). Downloaded to a disk from Samsung' s web site, but when I loaded disk in the player it would not read and ejected the disk. Anyone have any ideas what may have went wrong. Firmware update was an iso file. Thanks, Herb.
post #13761 of 13761 Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb s. View Post
Tried to update my daughters player using latest firmware(2013). Downloaded to a disk from Samsung' s web site, but when I loaded disk in the player it would not read and ejected the disk. Anyone have any ideas what may have went wrong. Firmware update was an iso file. Thanks, Herb.
1. It has to be on a CD-R, I believe (last time that I can remember). ...Check in the manual; it says there. ...Yep, CD, ...page 51 in the manual.
2. The ISO file has to be an image, and it has to be opened. ...Go to Samsung's website for clear instructions, on firmware update with a burn CD.
=> http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../BD-UP5000/XAA

* Can it be firmware updated through the Ethernet connection? ...I just don't remember. ...Yep, LAN terminal, ...page 51 again (System Upgrade).

Last edited by NorthSky; Yesterday at 11:58 PM. Reason: Link
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page