BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 460 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #13771 of 13787 Old 12-10-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Has anyone else been receiving random phantom message on this group? In the past week I have been notified of two posts, one that was there and disappeared and another that seems to have either been an older post or possibly one made in error? Anyhow neither showed up. I have the E-mails, but it does not report the entire message, only a snippet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13772 of 13787 Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Read the recent banter. You most likely burned the disc improperly. It's an ISO image so you have to burn the image, not the file that you download. Also after you have verified that you may need a CD-r/w rather than a CD-R. There was a batch of Sammy loaders that required a CD-r/w rather then CD-R for whatever strange reason. I have personally only ran into one of them and someone else here had one that way and I sent them a CD-r/w disc that worked.

There is no good reason why an Ethernet update would not work, however these things are really picky about networking. You must use DHCP and supply DNS etc. to the box, it also needs access to NTP in some fashion or it may also not connect to the network. Make sure you go into the settings and set it for DHCP if you are using that or hard code all the IP config for a static IP address (including router, mask, etc. etc.). Often you have to "cold start" the unit before networking will work (this clears all settings so you have to start over). Also when I had mine hooked up to the net I had to often reboot it to get networking going again if settings were changed, the cable, switch or router was unplugged or reset or you experience a loss of Internet connectivity. To reboot just power off then back on or possibly try a plug power reset. To "cold start" hold the >| button down for more than 5-6 seconds with the unit on and the tray closed. As of the last release 1.7 folks have reported successful upgrades to 1.7 without issue, however that does not mean that the Sammy update servers for this unit are still alive as 1.7 was released more than a year ago and actually created almost two years ago. I find that the disc upgrade is more reliable and safe and you can then keep all the discs with the different releases if you have to go back (which you need to do to play some recent Disney DVDs-actuall DVDs not BDs).
Thanks for the quick reply. I did read the recent messages about the ISO Disc file and followed them. I might have just bought an incompatible CD-R since it was 72x. I will try your advice with the network settings.
post #13773 of 13787 Old 12-10-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Dusted mine off & started using again.

Does it have a USB port?
post #13774 of 13787 Old 12-10-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2408 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post
Does it have a USB port?
Nope.
post #13775 of 13787 Old 12-10-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Nope.
Thanks, checking the Manual no mention; couldn't remember.
post #13776 of 13787 Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post
Thanks, checking the Manual no mention; couldn't remember.
I don't think USB was invented yet back in the dark ages of HD technology when this player was released ;-) Seriously it is one of many oversights with this player since the LG of the day does have a USB port which is handy not only for firmware and loader updates but also to enable BD Live. In reality you are not missing hardly anything not having one since CD blanks are cheep and you can also update through Ethernet. A minor gripe. To this day I have NEVER done anything with BD-Live and it seemed to be a short lived thing. Ya sure I know that most discs not probably provide it and have lots of wiz bang features, but I really just want the best PQ and SQ and maybe a few deleted scenes and outtakes on a movie. I did mess around with HDi a bit back in the day before the servers were all taken down.
post #13777 of 13787 Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still have the 5000, but curious if anyone has had both this player and an Oppo. I've been looking at the 103, but is the picture really that much better?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #13778 of 13787 Old 12-14-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
I don't think USB was invented yet back in the dark ages of HD technology when this player was released ;-) Seriously it is one of many oversights with this player since the LG of the day does have a USB port which is handy not only for firmware and loader updates but also to enable BD Live. In reality you are not missing hardly anything not having one since CD blanks are cheep and you can also update through Ethernet. A minor gripe. To this day I have NEVER done anything with BD-Live and it seemed to be a short lived thing. Ya sure I know that most discs not probably provide it and have lots of wiz bang features, but I really just want the best PQ and SQ and maybe a few deleted scenes and outtakes on a movie. I did mess around with HDi a bit back in the day before the servers were all taken down.
Yes, it doesn't support BDLive; not much there anyway. I, too, messed with HDi; seemed to be about the same. Toshiba HD-A30 is what I used for HDi; iIrc.

My Toshiba HD-XA2 has 2 USB ports, but, I've never tried to use them...

Last edited by SanchoPanza; 12-14-2014 at 03:40 PM.
post #13779 of 13787 Old 12-14-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGator56 View Post
I still have the 5000, but curious if anyone has had both this player and an Oppo. I've been looking at the 103,
but is the picture really that much better?

I have both players; what kind of display are you using to watch Blu-ray movies?

But basically, the short and true answer to your question is: No. ...That, is from your quote above; your direct question without anything else in mind.
I gave you the "direct" answer, without any assumption whatsoever. ...Pure and simple.

Now! If you are going to tell me some' more, I certainly will "swing" you or "sway" you towards or away from one or another.
post #13780 of 13787 Old 12-14-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you into 3D?
post #13781 of 13787 Old 12-14-2014, 03:59 PM

I have a Samsung 61" DLP projection (2007 model) w/1080p. Although, I'll probably wind up replacing it with one of the newer 4k tvs sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I have both players; what kind of display are you using to watch Blu-ray movies?

But basically, the short and true answer to your question is: No. ...That, is from your quote above; your direct question without anything else in mind. ...I gave you the "direct" answer, without any assumption whatsoever. ...Pure and simple.

Now! If you are going to tell me some' more, I certainly will "swing" you or "sway" you towards or away from one or another.
post #13782 of 13787 Old 12-14-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a Samsung 61" DLP projection (2007 model) w/1080p.
Although, I'll probably wind up replacing it with one of the newer 4k tvs sooner or later.
Then wait for the next Oppo BDP-113D universal Blu-ray player (Fall 2015).
BearGator56 likes this.
post #13783 of 13787 Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I still have the 5000, but curious if anyone has had both this player and an Oppo. I've been looking at the 103, but is the picture really that much better?

I don't have the Oppo BDP-103 but I do have the Oppo BDP-93. I got it after the Blu-Ray function of the Samsung BD-UP5000 drive died. In fact, all of the BDP-UP5000s I have failed in the same way. Two of them continue to work in DVD and HD-DVD mode, and I still have a few HD-DVDs without B-D re-releases.

The OPPO is built like a rock and I've never had any problems with it. Oppo customer service is excellent (among the best in the industry), which I cannot say about Samsung.

BD picture quality is excellent, and DVD upscaling is also very good. Oppo's format flexibility is superb (DVD-A, SACD, DVD, B-R, DLNA, some smart apps).
BearGator56 likes this.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #13784 of 13787 Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

But the 5000 Duo (in working condition) plays HD DVDs, and the picture quality is still excellent (with DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-rays).
Picture and sound wise (from movies) I cannot tell the differences with my Oppo 103.

But that's me, with my display (60" Sammy plasma) and my set of eyes and ears. Everyone's own mileage may vary.
BearGator56 likes this.
post #13785 of 13787 Old 12-16-2014, 03:26 AM

Interesting stuff. I guess my 5000 will be of service until it dies. Other than slow start up time, it still does a pretty good job. Thanks for the input!

post #13786 of 13787 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting stuff. I guess my 5000 will be of service until it dies. Other than slow start up time, it still does a pretty good job. Thanks for the input!

Many complain of slow startup time with this player but I don't get it mostly since I have older players and the ones I have owned an no longer do were early gens. Anyhow, I don't notice much startup/load difference in the 5k and my newish Yammy high end universal player (a direct competitor to the Oppos). Both of those however are WAY faster loading and starting up than our LG BH200. You can just about make breakfast waiting for it, but it remains a great capable player as well. We have some fairly new Sony players at work that are much slower booting and loading discs than the 5k.
post #13787 of 13787 Old Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Giver and Magic in the Moonlight all load and play. TMNT is a Paramount, so you know the drill there. Same issue as with; Noah, Wolf of Wall Street and Transformers: Age of Extinction. Also there were several audio dropouts in various spots. Rewinding and replaying sometimes still had dropouts, but not always. Seems to be random issues with this player and my olden AVR. My son is watching it now, so I get to see it again, but forgot to switch to internal decode. I'm sure if I did the dropouts would go away. It's been a while since I have had a DDTHD movie have dropouts since the 1.7 release and the other Dolby Atmos encoded discs I have played that have imbedded (ore derived) DDTHD soundtracks have not had as many issues as this one.
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page