BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 464 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #13891 of 13915 Old 05-08-2015, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
I paid $62 total for the last one I picked up from one of the group members. $12 for shipping. It was complete without the original box. They are not worth much. If you have everything that came with it including the box and can make it look just like new then you will be able to get a little more. I would suggest keeping it or parting it out. I have 6 of them now and many spare parts, so I'm not buying any more. There are folks out there that need new loaders so that is why I suggest parting it out. Someone is likely to pay as much or more than a player to get a loader. If they are even in stock anywhere anymore they run $250-600 new. Been a while since I looked on the parts sites and I haven't seen any on eBay for ages. Maybe my auto search isn't working? You might check recent competed and sold listing on eBay to get an idea. The other parts, main board, power supply, front board, cables etc. can also be sold to folks that need them.
Thank you for your reply!

You have all good ideas!

However I wouldn't have the heart to take it apart to sell it in parts, the thing is brand new really not a scratch, but I Do Understand what you are saying, and being a retired licensed repair technician I could easily do it, but I'm not going to and will just off it to someone who wants and needs it.
I've never sold anything on ebay yet, I just didn't want to get into that whole ebay thing, but you know I should because I have so many older, but new, computer spare parts that I need to do something with them.

For now I will just do it this way and mention the unit, thank you again sir!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13892 of 13915 Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
Thank you for your reply!

You have all good ideas!

However I wouldn't have the heart to take it apart to sell it in parts, the thing is brand new really not a scratch, but I Do Understand what you are saying, and being a retired licensed repair technician I could easily do it, but I'm not going to and will just off it to someone who wants and needs it.
I've never sold anything on ebay yet, I just didn't want to get into that whole ebay thing, but you know I should because I have so many older, but new, computer spare parts that I need to do something with them.

For now I will just do it this way and mention the unit, thank you again sir!.
I forgot to mention that the best option might be to keep it for it's HD-DVD and DVD upscaling capabilities. You never know when you might want/need to play a HD-DVD if you don't already have that covered with a Tosh. If I didn't have half a dozen of these lying around already I would buy yours as it sounds like it is in fine condition and not used much. Who knows someone here might want to take it off your hands. eBay can work well. I used to not sell used electronics there, but I have sold many things with no issues over the past 17 years or so. The thing that sucks is eBay fees and PayPal fees. Every time a new firmware is released for this player the value goes up but sadly not many are interested in it's capabilities anymore. I only kept buying them really cheep since I have gone through a few loaders and want to keep mine running.
post #13893 of 13915 Old 05-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the best option might be to keep it for it's HD-DVD and DVD upscaling capabilities. You never know when you might want/need to play a HD-DVD if you don't already have that covered with a Tosh.
I don't have any specific HD-DVD format DVD's I don't think, now I remember that was one of its features but then the industry did away with that format on Disc's right - is that was you mean?

Doesn't my OPPO BDP-103 or OPPO DV-983H Player play that format ...hmmm, anyway I don't have any HD-DVD with that format. I remember years ago the local Big Box rental store, was it Blockbuster or something... they were selling all their rentals to get rid of them iirc. I never had any I don't think?
Blu-Ray now trumps HD-DVD right, so that feature is only for that specific format right if ? anyone has a physical HD-DVD of it right?

LoL, I still have an old 8-Track player, and then a Cassette player unit, and even a VCR sitting on the shelf

Last edited by endeavor; 05-08-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #13894 of 13915 Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Is your old 8-track tape player for sale, how much you want? What brand is it, and is it a portable one or one for the home system? What condition is it in?

Cassette tape players and VCR tape players I'm good here.

* I paid $800 (Canadian plus 12% tax) for my Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo HD DVD/Blu-ray player back then.
It's a piece of history; it belongs to the audio/video museum.
post #13895 of 13915 Old 05-08-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't have any specific HD-DVD format DVD's I don't think, now I remember that was one of its features but then the industry did away with that format on Disc's right - is that was you mean?

Doesn't my OPPO BDP-103 or OPPO DV-983H Player play that format ...hmmm, anyway I don't have any HD-DVD with that format. I remember years ago the local Big Box rental store, was it Blockbuster or something... they were selling all their rentals to get rid of them iirc. I never had any I don't think?
Blu-Ray now trumps HD-DVD right, so that feature is only for that specific format right if ? anyone has a physical HD-DVD of it right?

LoL, I still have an old 8-Track player, and then a Cassette player unit, and even a VCR sitting on the shelf
No your Oppos will not play HD-DVDs. Only Toshiba and a very small number of other players exist for that format (many licensed from Tosh.). The Sammy 5K and the LG BH200 (and the short lived BH100) were the only players to be able to play both HD-DVD and BD and of course DVD. There are still quite a few movies that are only available in a HD format on HD-DVD but the list gets smaller each year. And yes the format was killed off in early '08 before I ever even bought one or a player capable of playing them. Personally I prefer to collect the HD-DVD versions of films due to the nostalgia and relative rarity. I have even been known to sell of original BD releases of some movies once I collected the HD-DVD unless there is a BD re-master and then I keep both the HD-DVD and remastered BD versions. If you do a little hunting on the net you can find many of the HDs out there for way cheep. I find it odd that you would have purchased this player way back then not to utilize the dual format capabilities. Plenty of other better BD only players existed at the time. Still the 5K is a marvel in it's capabilities and bridging the gap between DVD-HD-DVD-BD.

And speaking of tape I am also into D-VHS which is a format few even know existed. Digital 1080i movies on VHS tape. Around 100 feature films were released and several other special purpose tapes (mostly from HDNet). There are still a few movies available only in HD on that format. As far as PQ goes D-VHS rivaled both HD-DVD and early BD due mostly to the transfers used for the tapes since they were $40 each when released. Since then I think those same transfers were used for both some of the HD-DVD releases of those films and even some of the early BDs. The audio only goes to 1.5mbps DTS but generally the soundtracks sound better on that format even in DD5.1 than many HD and BD versions of those films. I recently completed my D-VHS DTheater feature film collection. I have had all the tapes in my hands a couple times now but finally found a couple copies of the rare and infamous Bourne Identity on that format. One that I found early on when I started collecting, trading and selling them. Sold it and never could replace it for some strange reason. The rare tapes still go for big bucks. I sell a rare one for $100 or more every once in a while and working players have either kept their value or actually increased in price.
mhobart likes this.
post #13896 of 13915 Old 05-08-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Is your old 8-track tape player for sale, how much you want? What brand is it, and is it a portable one or one for the home system? What condition is it in?

* I paid $800 (Canadian plus 12% tax) for my Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo HD DVD/Blu-ray player back then.
Back in the day Panasonic made a 8-track home recorder that was the bomb. One of my friends had one. I never had 8-track except for in my moms car and we never bought any tapes for it. My friend also had an under dash car player for the tapes he would make. Some songs just don't sound the same without the track change Some of my brothers friends and some other acquaintances had 8-track, but it was just a bit before my time. By the time I started driving and getting into portable music cassette had taken over.
post #13897 of 13915 Old 05-09-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
No your Oppos will not play HD-DVDs. Only Toshiba and a very small number of other players exist for that format (many licensed from Tosh.). The Sammy 5K and the LG BH200 (and the short lived BH100) were the only players to be able to play both HD-DVD and BD and of course DVD. There are still quite a few movies that are only available in a HD format on HD-DVD but the list gets smaller each year. And yes the format was killed off in early '08 before I ever even bought one or a player capable of playing them. Personally I prefer to collect the HD-DVD versions of films due to the nostalgia and relative rarity. I have even been known to sell of original BD releases of some movies once I collected the HD-DVD unless there is a BD re-master and then I keep both the HD-DVD and remastered BD versions. If you do a little hunting on the net you can find many of the HDs out there for way cheep. I find it odd that you would have purchased this player way back then not to utilize the dual format capabilities. Plenty of other better BD only players existed at the time. Still the 5K is a marvel in it's capabilities and bridging the gap between DVD-HD-DVD-BD.

And speaking of tape I am also into D-VHS which is a format few even know existed. Digital 1080i movies on VHS tape. Around 100 feature films were released and several other special purpose tapes (mostly from HDNet). There are still a few movies available only in HD on that format. As far as PQ goes D-VHS rivaled both HD-DVD and early BD due mostly to the transfers used for the tapes since they were $40 each when released. Since then I think those same transfers were used for both some of the HD-DVD releases of those films and even some of the early BDs. The audio only goes to 1.5mbps DTS but generally the soundtracks sound better on that format even in DD5.1 than many HD and BD versions of those films. I recently completed my D-VHS DTheater feature film collection. I have had all the tapes in my hands a couple times now but finally found a couple copies of the rare and infamous Bourne Identity on that format. One that I found early on when I started collecting, trading and selling them. Sold it and never could replace it for some strange reason. The rare tapes still go for big bucks. I sell a rare one for $100 or more every once in a while and working players have either kept their value or actually increased in price.
...don't find it odd that I didn't utilize the HD-DVD in time to use it, it was just the timing and the busyness going on in my life at the moment, but being a techie and wanted the attraction which for $719 knew what I was getting. I knew it played HD-DVD and even bragged about it at work to some associates, but they did not realize and it fell on deaf ears and did not understand the difference between the formats ...no problem though I had what I wanted. I satisfied my desires and bought it regardless of the price. As you know though, no matter our stature, the older we get the Faster time passes, and so you there you have it, and in the blink of an eye a dozen years passed and three more players later they pile up in my closet, and I wonder where the time has gone, my Mom, and Dad, etc, gone, and so I'm still here .
Great post, and I appreciate your enthusiasm, and understand everything you said and were excited about!
As far as the D-VHS, I don't suppose Annie of Green Gables was release on that was it?
No matter I guess, just curious, I have the DVD.
The Sound Of Music was great, and that one was a good quality transfer, and so was the 'Singin In The Rain' flick
I enjoyed your post and enthusiasm mr kludge, good stuff!
oh, and regards as to one of your next posts, back in the day, I use to install 8 Track & then Cassette players in cars and was really good at it, Craig and Pioneer were top contenders back then, but even back further than that just before my time but I did have to deal with some repairs of them in the shop I worked at, remember the OZ4 vacuum tubes in the car radios...
Okay enough of nostalgic lane, but it was a great ride wasn't it. I bought new players like the BD-UP5000 just for the sake of it being the latest up and coming player, and in some sense money was no object except to satisfy my desire to have it, and that's why I have it.

I think I covered everything in your posts, but I read them all let me know if I missed something.
post #13898 of 13915 Old 05-09-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:

I see you paid the full $799 price for your Samsung BD-UP5000, of which I would have too - I had it on a waiting list order from 3 different places one for $799, another for $779, and then Crutchfield came out with its waiting list sale for $719 and so I canceled the other two orders and stayed with Crutchfield. I also bought the newly released LN-T5781F 57''1080p LED TV for a ridiculous $6,999.00 ...but like the BD-UP5000 is was the best there was at the time so I bought them both. Still have the 57'' too and it still works excellent!

Back to your question, you know honestly I never thought about it to sell the other players or not, I just save them for Nostalgic sake was/is all. Let's see going down to the basement to check and write them down...
...Okay I have a Car 12 volt Pioneer Cassette Player Model KPX600 w/FM radio with it's GM-12 Module
Also have a Car 12 volt Pioneer 8 Track w/FM Radio, Pioneer model TP-900 along with an AD-304 power amp.
I see I have an 8 track case with about fifteen 8 track tapes in it, and then cassettes. LoL, brings back a few memories.
Anyway both of these I had installed in my various cars back then. They are used, but they did work last time I used them which was what... ...40 years ago.. LoL, Gosh I can't believe how time has flown by....

Also a side note I have this old red inexpensive portable Panasonic 8 Track player model RW830S

Hopefully I wrote those model numbers right
post #13899 of 13915 Old 05-09-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...I don't suppose Annie of Green Gables was release on that was it?
No matter I guess, just curious, I have the DVD.

...back in the day, I use to install 8 Track & then Cassette players in cars and was really good at it, Craig and Pioneer were top contenders back then...
No LoL the format was not around long enough to get that deep into the catalog. BD hasn't been out long enough to go that deep. Be glad that there is a DVD. Some of my favorite movies haven't even been released on anything but VHS so far, if at all.

I also installed car stereos back in the day for my brothers friends, my friends and myself. These days I leave that to the professionals. Pioneer has always been a favorite car stereo brand for me. I have one in my sports car and have had one in my past 2 cars before that. I have a Kenwoody in the Truck. I didn't originally have steering wheel controls in the truck and wanted a volume knob. Now I have add on wheel controls, but they are not that good. Both of those are double DIN DVD units with giant color displays for my old eyes. The sound quality of the Kenwoody in the truck is better. I have the Pio. in the car connected to the factory amp, speakers and sub so it sounds good but nowhere as good as the truck with Rockford Fosgate 3-ways, original factory tweets and a hide under the seat powered 8" sub. (9 cones in all). Both system are up to date with all the latest gadgets; SXM radio, BT audio (advanced/enhanced on the Kenwood), wheel controls that work correctly and full voice activated and wheel button phone control.

I remember Craig, weren't they bought up by JVC or Jensen or morphed into them?
post #13900 of 13915 Old 05-09-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see you paid the full $799 price for your Samsung BD-UP5000, of which I would have too - I had it on a waiting list order from 3 different places one for $799, another for $779, and then Crutchfield came out with its waiting list sale for $719 and so I canceled the other two orders and stayed with Crutchfield. I also bought the newly released LN-T5781F 57''1080p LED TV for a ridiculous $6,999.00 ...but like the BD-UP5000 is was the best there was at the time so I bought them both. Still have the 57'' too and it still works excellent!

Back to your question, you know honestly I never thought about it to sell the other players or not, I just save them for Nostalgic sake was/is all. Let's see going down to the basement to check and write them down...
...Okay I have a Car 12 volt Pioneer Cassette Player Model KPX600 w/FM radio with it's GM-12 Module
Also have a Car 12 volt Pioneer 8 Track w/FM Radio, Pioneer model TP-900 along with an AD-304 power amp.
I see I have an 8 track case with about fifteen 8 track tapes in it, and then cassettes. LoL, brings back a few memories.
Anyway both of these I had installed in my various cars back then. They are used, but they did work last time I used them which was what... ...40 years ago.. LoL, Gosh I can't believe how time has flown by....

Also a side note I have this old red inexpensive portable Panasonic 8 Track player model RW830S

Hopefully I wrote those model numbers right
You will want to check prices on eBay. Some of that gear might be worth some bucks. I had someone about 15 years ago pay me about 3x what I paid new for a Radio Shack 6v>12v inverter I had in my old VW bug.
post #13901 of 13915 Old 05-09-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I remember Craig, weren't they bought up by JVC or Jensen or morphed into them?
Pretty sure Pioneer bought out Craig - when I used to repair them the insides were identical except for the front plate and covers.
I understood everything else you said in that message. Now in reply to your next message, well for eBay my feelings I'm not that much of an eBay'r really, and I don't like selling things. I just hoped because of the trust around here someone would tell me an honest price and they can have it. Otherwise for the Video stuff that will just sit in the boxes in the closet, and well the 12volt units are in the cellar in a box. I should be more into selling on eBay I know, I just can't get into it. I love the tech though.

Nice to see we were brothers in the installation business. I actually had my technicians license to repair them too, and the shop I was at was the warranty center in my state for a number of brands; we sold radios, stereos, televisions, service and repair, and my job was the tech on anything in the A/V end of it.

I just took some pics of my Sammy and the Oppo and posted them for sale:

Last edited by teachsac; 05-13-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Advertising Sale
post #13902 of 13915 Old 05-09-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Quote:
... Also a side note I have this old red inexpensive portable Panasonic 8 Track player model RW830S
Right on!

* And forty years from now you'll be glad to feel that "nostalgia" feeling all over again, by still having your Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo player.
But most importantly; by being able to demonstrate to your grand-grandchildren the beauty of playing an HD DVD flick from it.
post #13903 of 13915 Old 05-09-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lightbulb Test only

Quote:
I just took some pics of my Sammy and the Oppo and uploaded them here as a zip file, there are 7 pictures in the zip:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...96383395869371
Checking only (pictures).
post #13904 of 13915 Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Right on!

* And forty years from now you'll be glad to feel that "nostalgia" feeling all over again, by still having your Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo player.
But most importantly; by being able to demonstrate to your grand-grandchildren the beauty of playing an HD DVD flick from it.
40 years from now I will be over 100 years old, and not likely but who knows.. ..be around!

A true story is, the week I bought the BD-UP5000, my main focus was on the Hollywood up-converting chip that was in it. Sure I knew it played HD-DVD too, and that was just extra icing on the cake to me even though I did not have any actual physical discs in hand to play, anyway my point at the shop I mentioned to the guys that I bought this awesome Blu-Ray player and paid $719 for it - this one guy, his name was Nick, went on this whole berating spiel in front of everyone on me that I did that. When I tried to explain why and what it did, he just got more dug-in and worse.. I remember he was actually shaking he was so mad that I dared to try to explain about the technical reasons, which no way was he going to except and I heard about it for a few years after that too until he got himself fired.
Long story short, my grandkids, or most anyone really, when I try and explain that I have this unit that plays HD-DVD they just say well I have a Blu-ray player too.. and when I try to explain the difference they lose interest pretty quick because they say what good is it if they can get the same thing in Blu-ray. I just gave up on explaining it, and subsequently never bought, iirc, I never bought or don't even have a physical HD-DVD disc in my house.. only Blu-rays! Anyway my main focus was on the up-converting chip and Blu-ray, and everything else it did was gravy.
However soon after as mentioned, I bought the OPPO DV-983H because I wanted extended format playing capability to play all manner of formats, and its up-converting chip was allegedly even better than the Sammy, but then two years went by in a flash and then I bought the OPPO BDP-103 and that up-converting is even better, even goes to 4k, and it plays more video formats that I could ever imagine (except hd-dvd which I don't have any anyway)
Give me a lesson, or a link, I need to be reminded of all the good and special reasons of HD-DVD over Blu-ray, so I can catch the fever again.. ..otherwise I need to let this Sammy go, I need the room in my closet for the next wave, and I need to keep the wife happy that I'm not hording....

~~~~~~~~~

North Sky - what does your next post 'Test Only' mean?
I can take pictures of any of my stuff that you want and upload them.
I realize I uploaded them to that tinyupload website as a zip file but didn't know what else to do since I did not want to attach all 7 pictures to a post if I wasn't sure. I belong to a dozen computer tech forums and each of them have different rules, and I don't have a handle on the rules here yet because I admit I've been away from this forum for mannny years, but never forgot it, because when it comes to A/V I think AVSForum is the best, and has the most knowledgeable hands-on A/V people bar none.

Last edited by endeavor; 05-10-2015 at 05:34 AM.
post #13905 of 13915 Old 05-10-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I simply removed the characters @ the beginning and end of your link; so that it would be accessible to everyone. ...That's all.

~~~~~~~~~

* When posting a link, in order for us to view it, it has to be free of any characters next by it. ...It needs a space @ the beginning and @ the end of the URL link address.
And there are no rules here @ AVSForum against posting pictures of our/your audio/video gear. ...To the contrary, many people love to see pictures, and they encourage it.
There is simply no obligation; everyone is free to show their gear or not. It is not a requisite to be a member, and pictures are always a great subject of conversation.
...It's like showing your car that you are proud of, and other people can compare it to their own. It means nothing more than simple "pictures".
What is the real essence is the personal enjoyment, practical use for each one of us in our own life. ...Things, material things that we can relate to because they provide the incentives, the drives, the means to our intricate hobbies/passions...music and films...@ home and @ public venues.

______

I truly enjoyed reading your above post. ...I can totally relate.
endeavor likes this.
post #13906 of 13915 Old 05-10-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

No issues with Paddington. And before you ask it is a great flick and not required to have young kids to appreciate. Great acting and cast, looks fantastic and I marveled at the CGI on the bear. At least I assume he was CGIed. One I will be buying for sure.
davemcs and endeavor like this.
post #13907 of 13915 Old 05-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Sales are not allowed outside of the classifieds. That includes putting the link in your posts.
endeavor likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #13908 of 13915 Old 05-22-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just FYI the following movies load and play without issues; Frozen Planet entire series - BBC, One Life - BBC, Elysium, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Maze Runner and Ladyhawke the domestic Warner Archives recent release. A note that the import of Ladyhawke that came out last year and is a Fox has similar issue as Hot Tub Time Machine. Every few min. and sometimes with an audio drop the chapter timeline comes up on screen then disappears. So avoid the import of Ladyhawke if you can. I was let to believe that the import and new domestic release have the same transfer but the audio and video quality, aspect etc. is vastly different and better with the new release. I heard things in the soundtrack and in surround that are NOT present on the import.
endeavor likes this.
post #13909 of 13915 Old 05-24-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The Cobbler loads and plays fine.
endeavor likes this.
post #13910 of 13915 Old 06-01-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The following movies load and play fine; Still Alice, Taken 3, St. Vincent and The Giver. The only exception was Taken 3. During the last production promo at the start of the film (Europa) it pixilated, stuttered and audio dropped a bit. This could have been and probably was due to a dirty or damage disc? It also loaded veeeeeery slowly as it is a Fox release. The initial disc detection and loading was about the longest I have ever seen.

They are all good movies and worth a look. I had already seen The Giver as a download so I only sampled that one. I think the box only had either the DVD or a hobbled DD5.1 soundtrack version so I skipped that one and downloaded it? Still Alice was somewhat depressing, but well acted, hence the oscar for Moore. Taken 3 was much, much, much better than the reviews I read and I was going to skip it, but I am glad I rented that one. I don't know why the critics hate that franchise. I have enjoyed each of them just as much as the last. I actually thought they got better each time but of course overall you can't beat the first one. Many movies have tried and failed with the same formula. The exception would be Stolen with Nick Coppola. I actually thought that one was pretty good and picked up a .50 or dollar BD at a local rental/media store on clearance. I watched St.Vincent this evening and it is the funniest movie I have seen in a long time. I am a long time Murray fan and have been a little disappointed in some of his recent work, but he is fantastic in it. Reminds me quite a bit of his acting in The Razors Edge, one of my all time favorite movies and one that has not been given the HD treatment yet. They are both movies given their premise that you don't expect to be laughing in. I won't say anymore about any of these movies as not to spoil them for you. It's odd that I have rented and purchased many Starz/Anchor Bay movies recently. All three I mention here except for Taken 3 are all from that studio and Weinstien as far as I know. Also two others I purchased last week; Begin Again and Life of Crime are also from that studio. I haven't tried them yet.
endeavor likes this.
post #13911 of 13915 Old 06-02-2015, 04:11 AM

I tested Avatar collector’s edition BD last week and it worked fine fwiw.
The wife liked the romance part of it between the the races of the main characters.
The BD-UP5000 with its processor was the finest at that time, but in todays standards it's slower to load than the latest players processors but that's to be expected.
post #13912 of 13915 Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The following movies load and play with no or little issue; The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, Fifty Shades of Kink er-Grey, Seventh Son. SpongeBob is Paramount, so you all know what you need to do there.

SpongeBob - good and extremely funny, probably only if you are into the show or have kids that are (or grown up kids that were weened on it). I found myself laughing almost as much as I did watching St. Vincent. I think almost anyone can enjoy this and the jokes and you don't have to be a fan of the show or have seen the first movie to understand what is going on. I happen to like lots of different animation, so there you have it...

Fifty Shades of Grey is entertaining, visually stunning (if you know what I'm alluding to) and kept my attention. It would be just as good with the sound turned off (except for the soundtrack) which means that the acting is pretty darn bad, but other elements of the movie make up for it (and no you perverts I'm not talking about the sex and graphic nudity). And no, I didn't read the book, wait in line with my wife or daughter to see the movie at the theater and knew virtually noting about the movie before I watched it. The soundtrack is excellent and I will be sourcing that as it has many artists that I enjoy songs on it. The score is also a Danny Elfman and I collect most of his stuff. And actually as I think about it the story is sort of interesting. It had some moments and that Dakota chick is yummy. The dude needs to go though, yuck. Acting still really, really, really bad. Better than the average porno, but not by much.

Seventh Son was a complete waste of time and a RedBox Play credit. I want my money er-credit back. The trailer on Fifty Shades of Kink made it look way better than it was/is. I should know better. I was even more annoyed with Jeff Bridges "talk like your mouth is full of moss covered boulders" that I was with R.I.P.D. both of those movies were ruined by him and whatever is going on there. I thought it might be an entertaining fantasy/medieval flick with some interesting creatures and monsters and an engaging story, but I just could not get into it and ended up just doing stuff on the laptop/Internet while I watched it.
endeavor likes this.
post #13913 of 13915 Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The following import (mostly German) HDs load an play fine, however you might need to learn some German in order to navigate the menus; Paris 2054 Renaissance; Resident Evil; Hannibal Rising; Three Days of the Condor; Tideland; Death at a Funeral.

I won't know about this next one since it locked up the 5k several times, until I get around to getting the A35 out of storage. The disc is in great condition so I think it might just be incompatible. I will try it in the LG BH200 when the boss goes to bed: Elephants Dream. I kinda sorta remember someone posting that it would not play or maybe they PMd me? I need to check the problem discs thread as well. Nothing came up in a search, so maybe I was dreaming (pun intended). The movie sounds familiar. I think that parts of it are on one of my many test, demo and set-up/calibration discs?

I also got Arthur and the Invisibles in the mail today, but it's sealed and will probably remain that way for quite some time?
endeavor likes this.
post #13914 of 13915 Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Elephants Dream loads and plays fine on the LG so it's a disc that is incompatible with the 5k. I'm confident it will play on the Tosh as well since it is a Toshiba release.
post #13915 of 13915 Old Today, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

American Sniper and Chappie both load and play fine. A.S. has a few nasty audio drops @ 1:51:50, :52 and :54. This is right before we cut from the sandstorm to where Chris Kyle is back in the states drinking in a bar. There is quite a bit going on on screen with the sandstorm so I am sure this is one of those DDTHD decoding things we have encountered. I did not try with internal decode to see if that fixed it, but it should.

I am still shaking my head at a scene near the end of A.S. those that have seen he movie should know what I am talking about. Those of you that have not will need to watch for it. Was a good movie until I saw that. Given that Eastwood is a gun safety advocate and this movie is about a Navy SEAL that should know better I don't understand if this scene is based on fact or added for dramatic effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page