BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 466 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #13951 of 13959 Old 08-29-2015, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Per forum rules, no linking and promoting/advertising classified sales in the general forum.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13952 of 13959 Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Player or loader?
It's the player, which has a working loader Only has played about 30 DVD's in its lifetime though.

It's against the rules to post the classified link where I have it for sale here very sorry for doing that yesterday when I replied to you, won't happen again.

I think you knew I had one though, but can PM me if you'd like.
post #13953 of 13959 Old 08-29-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
It's the player, which has a working loader Only has played about 30 DVD's in its lifetime though.

It's against the rules to post the classified link where I have it for sale here very sorry for doing that yesterday when I replied to you, won't happen again.

I think you knew I had one though, but can PM me if you'd like.
Too rich for my blood. The nice thing about having AVS set to instant notification is often you get the links even though they have been taken down. So no biggie. We all get slapped for something once in a while. I only pay less then $50 for 5Ks and probably need to sell some of mine before the BD-4K stuff hits, but...
post #13954 of 13959 Old 08-29-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Understood about the instant notification thanks.

teachsac said I could put the link in my signature, hopefully I did it right! I don't want to get a warning!

Okay thanks, it's always fun to read all of your reviews of all the movies you watch, I click the Like button each time. You're up to 93 already!
mr.kludge likes this.
post #13955 of 13959 Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The Aloha movie loads and plays fine. Enjoyed the movie quite a bit and I will buy it next year for a $1 or so. Bad reviews and I know why and that is because it is a Cameron Crowe and it is manipulative, predictable etc. just like many of his films, but that is more than half the charm. I enjoyed the mixture or space exploration, military (subdued), nostalgia, Hawaiian culture and history, the interplay of the characters and didn't even mind the romance. And of course the eye candy is quite nice (no matter which sex you are into). Murray gives a small, but decent performance and even Baldwin isn't too bad in it. These comments are all why I am NOT a professional critic. For that I would have to have my head all the way up my arse
endeavor likes this.
post #13956 of 13959 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post
I have a pristine player as well. It's been sitting in a box for years. It'll probably end up going to Good Will some day.
Aggh! I will give it a good home ( Although that is why I often hit the local Goodwill. I passed up on an HD-A30 for $20 in a fit of stupidity before I was actively looking.) I baby mine. It was the display model from Best Buy I bought in December 2008 for $199. I don't know if that was too much but at the time it seemed like a deal and it still plays both formats. Other than the lack of BD 2.0 compliance I have been very happy with it.

I have wondered what became of the prototype BD-UP5500.
post #13957 of 13959 Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
Aggh! I will give it a good home ( Although that is why I often hit the local Goodwill. I passed up on an HD-A30 for $20 in a fit of stupidity before I was actively looking.) I baby mine. It was the display model from Best Buy I bought in December 2008 for $199. I don't know if that was too much but at the time it seemed like a deal and it still plays both formats. Other than the lack of BD 2.0 compliance I have been very happy with it.

The A30 is a so-so player. Better is the A35, but the best are the 1st and 2nd gen. Tosh boat anchors. I have an E-mail somewhere from a friend that gives the run down on all those and all the various ones that Tosh OEMed.

55Ks were on display at CES January 2008. What is unknown is if it was a working prototype or just a mock-up. I missed that show and should have gone that year. Seems I only get there about once in a decade (once I got there two years in a row and then 5 years later). Anyhow, even if one was made and it got out in the wild I bet Samsung would hunt you down if you posted one for sale or purchased one. I've never seen one listed and if you did get your hands on one there would be no support or firmware updates. I know that it was to have an entirely new motherboard due to it's smaller form factor. My guess is that the code would be revamped as well. My guess is that they were destroyed or some lucky Sammy engineers have them in their dead project displays or maybe at home? Would be bitchen to get one though
post #13958 of 13959 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post

Oh and back then even at the end of 2008 $199 was not too much to pay for a first owner 100% warranty 5k, even if it was a display (almost my entire setup is display and open box merchandise; AVR, 5K, JVC D-VHS, olden Sammy DVD-Audio/SACD player. But not the man cave display or my side surrounds, but the surround rears, fronts, center, and sub are all displays, or open box or outlet or scratch and dent, you get the idea, I'm cheep). I do not own a single optical or digital VHS player that was brand new in the box. My new JVC HM-DT100U is essentially brand new and never used by anyone but me, but it was purchased as an open box-for inspection only used item, hence why I got it for a song and a dance and I did the dance myself-I can't carry a tune, even with a handle. Anyhow I think I paid around $250 for my first two 5ks in the 1st half of '08. 1st from Crutchfield as outlet stock, 2nd from a local furniture store and it was DOA, sent in for repair, harvested for parts and sent back on warranty/extended warranty insurance two years later. Then I started buying them for cheep on eBay around the time the 2nd one got sent in for salvage.
post #13959 of 13959 Old Today, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Oh and back then even at the end of 2008 $199 was not too much to pay for a first owner 100% warranty 5k, even if it was a display (almost my entire setup is display and open box merchandise; AVR, 5K, JVC D-VHS, olden Sammy DVD-Audio/SACD player. But not the man cave display or my side surrounds, but the surround rears, fronts, center, and sub are all displays, or open box or outlet or scratch and dent, you get the idea, I'm cheep). I do not own a single optical or digital VHS player that was brand new in the box. My new JVC HM-DT100U is essentially brand new and never used by anyone but me, but it was purchased as an open box-for inspection only used item, hence why I got it for a song and a dance and I did the dance myself-I can't carry a tune, even with a handle. Anyhow I think I paid around $250 for my first two 5ks in the 1st half of '08. 1st from Crutchfield as outlet stock, 2nd from a local furniture store and it was DOA, sent in for repair, harvested for parts and sent back on warranty/extended warranty insurance two years later. Then I started buying them for cheep on eBay around the time the 2nd one got sent in for salvage.

I am with you 100% on open box and have saved a ton both on AV gear as well as PC's. I learned that when worked at Radio Shack in the early 90's and I still have my direct drive turntable from back then. It scares a lot of people away, but even with my 5k, when the remote died Samsung replaced it no problem. I even bought my speakers at an auction, an old pair of BIC TPR-400s that look as great as they sound.

The only thing I really need to get now is a replacement for my Denon AVR-5800. It still works great but the lack of HDMI is getting to be a pain, but that is another story.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your support of the 5K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players