BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 467 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #13981 of 14010 Old 11-12-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Cool another d-vhs junkie. I had a complete collection but am liquidating it since I can't pass up the $100s that people are paying me for my tapes these days. I needed to generate some funds to pay for two pro-ject turntables, a solid state phono pre amp, a tube pre, a couple sets of speakers, a set of headphones, an adc to connect to my headphone amp, two sets of complete record care items (a set for my office at work and the man cave and in the future a stereo only room) and about 200 lps I have acquired in the last month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13982 of 14010 Old 11-13-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so the download link is working again. Just FYI I had to clear my samsung.com cookies. It wasn't working on my Air or iMac that are still running Yosemite. I haven't dared upgrade to El Capitan yet afar how bad the E-mail update was to 10.10. I noticed this morning that my olden iMac at home (forever stuck on Lion 10.7.5) was able to get to the download page. Of course this is all with Safari. Other browsers/system may or may not have the problem. A recent web server update at Sammy probably caused this issue. I was wondering why my robot was able to get there but my systems were not. I rarely go to the download site. Only when my robot crabs that there is an issue and of course if it ever detects a new firmware I will be sure to visit :-) (wishful thinking). Maybe one of these days when I am not busy and have nothing to do (another pipe dream) I will call them up, E-mail, chat and whatever all he remaining issues to see if they will ever fix them. I doubt it, but...
endeavor likes this.
post #13983 of 14010 Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Ok, so the download link is working again. Just FYI I had to clear my samsung.com cookies. It wasn't working on my Air or iMac that are still running Yosemite. I haven't dared upgrade to El Capitan yet afar how bad the E-mail update was to 10.10. I noticed this morning that my olden iMac at home (forever stuck on Lion 10.7.5) was able to get to the download page. Of course this is all with Safari. Other browsers/system may or may not have the problem. A recent web server update at Sammy probably caused this issue. I was wondering why my robot was able to get there but my systems were not. I rarely go to the download site. Only when my robot crabs that there is an issue and of course if it ever detects a new firmware I will be sure to visit :-) (wishful thinking). Maybe one of these days when I am not busy and have nothing to do (another pipe dream) I will call them up, E-mail, chat and whatever all he remaining issues to see if they will ever fix them. I doubt it, but...
YES IT DID and they emailed me : ) Thanks K!

Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you would like to update the firmware on your Blu-ray player: BD-UP5000. I have checked the information and I see that the player model is available on the Samsung website. Please follow the instructions mentioned below to update the firmware version on the player:

1. Check the firmware version on the player, with the disc tray open, press and hold the INFO button on the remote control. The System Information appears on the screen. You can find it under S/W. I see that the latest firmware version available for your Blu-ray player is 1.7.

If you want to upgrade the firmware version through network access, please refer the link below for instructions:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...=BD-UP5000/XAA

If you want to upgrade the firmware version on the Blu-Ray player through CD method follow the instructions below by downloading the firmware version file. Once you click on the link below, it starts downloading automatically:

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...00_XAA_ISO.zip

Refer to the link below for the instructions on how to update the firmware on your player through CD method. Once you click on the link below, it starts downloading automatically:

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...date_by_CD.pdf

You can also download the firmware for your player from Samsung website using the link below

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/

a. Go to the link above and enter your player model code in the search area and press Enter.
b. You can find the latest firmware under Manuals& Downloads section of the support page.
c. Check the latest firmware version available for your player and download it. If your player has already installed with the latest firmware, please ignore the firmware update.

You can also refer to the link below for your product support page on Samsung website:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../BD-UP5000/XAA

If you are experiencing any issues with your player, please get back to us with the detailed description of the issue and we will help you with the troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue.

If you have any more questions related to Samsung devices, feel free to contact us. We are available 24/7 to assist you.

If you would wish to reply via email, please click on the “Click here” link shown below in the Content Feedback section at the bottom of the email where it states, “If you have additional inquiries related to your original email, please click here”.

For an interactive review of some of our Samsung products or just to gather more details on functionality of a product visit: http://samsungsimulator.com/

For Immediate assistance with a live agent,
you can chat with us

here

Samsung’s Social Media Team is available to assist with providing up-to-date information or answering questions 24/7.

Visit us on Facebook
Visit us on Twitter

For support by phone, you can reach us at 1-800-SAMSUNG

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!
Samsung Online Support

Kind regards,

Rajeshwari
Email Support
SAMSUNG Customer Support Center
endeavor likes this.
post #13984 of 14010 Old 12-21-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Surprisingly just picked up one of these at a Savers for $12.99 earlier. Loads up BD, DVD, and CD fine. My HD DVDs are in the attic but will fetch some later. Updated to 1.7 via CD-R when I got home (was on the 100601 FW). No remote but the remote to my BDP-1200 works. I'm actually shocked it loads up Blu-rays, most used Samsung BD players I spot at such places totally refuse recognize the format no matter what. Attached pic is when I was spot checking the player in-store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	996135_953419734693809_20084341175764531_n.png
Views:	38
Size:	865.8 KB
ID:	1133682  

Last edited by Damnationdoormat; 12-21-2015 at 02:51 PM.
post #13985 of 14010 Old 12-21-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Should be easy to find on their website, but here it is: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../BD-UP5000/XAA

Note that their website is messed up and this link is not working at the moment and you can't navigate to support for ANY bd player. This happens from time to time.

This player is excellent at all it does, but there are sill some issues with a handful of HDs, thats why I recommend you use a Tosh if yo have one for them (or put the miles in the 5K to preserve it). It's also a fantastic BD player, but can be slow in loading.
My Samsung BD-UP5000 players (I have two) were both updated long ago with a firmware, version 1.3. disc. The players have been working great, except recently I have encountered some problems playing recently released Blu-Rays (Bond; Star Wars; etc.). When I play those, it says my firmware needs to be updated.

I was sent the latest firmware CD (ver 1.7) from Samsung, but neither of my players can read the disc. It spits it out and says something like, "player can not read this disc".

My thinking is that there is an issue making the firmware jump from 1.3 to 1.7. I was hoping to try it incrementally, but I will need 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 to do so.

Does anyone have working links to 1.4, 1.5, and/or 1.6?

Thanks in advance!
post #13986 of 14010 Old 12-21-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 6367 Post(s)
Liked: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post
Surprisingly just picked up one of these at a Savers for $12.99 earlier. Loads up BD, DVD, and CD fine. My HD DVDs are in the attic but will fetch some later. Updated to 1.7 via CD-R when I got home (was on the 100601 FW). No remote but the remote to my BDP-1200 works. I'm actually shocked it loads up Blu-rays, most used Samsung BD players I spot at such places totally refuse recognize the format no matter what. Attached pic is when I was spot checking the player in-store.
Wow, $12.99 is what I paid for 'Snake Eyes' on VHS!

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #13987 of 14010 Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBEBECK View Post
My Samsung BD-UP5000 players (I have two) were both updated long ago with a firmware, version 1.3. disc. The players have been working great, except recently I have encountered some problems playing recently released Blu-Rays (Bond; Star Wars; etc.). When I play those, it says my firmware needs to be updated.

I was sent the latest firmware CD (ver 1.7) from Samsung, but neither of my players can read the disc. It spits it out and says something like, "player can not read this disc".

My thinking is that there is an issue making the firmware jump from 1.3 to 1.7. I was hoping to try it incrementally, but I will need 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 to do so.

Thanks in advance!
UPDATE: Okay, so I figured out that the discs that Samsung were sending (yes, all five of them that my player couldn't read) seem to have been burned onto a disc format that my player kept spitting out.

I was able to find old files and burn them to a CD-R and they worked fine. First I did it incrementally, on one player , 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, and then 1.7. Then I tried it directly from 1.3 to 1.7 and it worked fine too!

All the previously reported titles now play great!

Hope this helps someone!
post #13988 of 14010 Old 12-21-2015, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post
Sweet deal. You might get lucky and it still plays HDs or you might be able to clean it if the person who got rid of it was having issues with HD. Odd why someone would get rid of a perfectly functioning BD player? My guess is that it didn't play some titles here and there or they got sick of the slow load time (I don't know any better since most of the players I own are olden and slow).

If it's still fully functional you could turn a nice profit or have it for a decent home theater player.
post #13989 of 14010 Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
UPDATE: Okay, so I figured out that the discs that Samsung were sending (yes, all five of them that my player couldn't read) seem to have been burned onto a disc format that my player kept spitting out.

I was able to find old files and burn them to a CD-R and they worked fine. First I did it incrementally, on one player , 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, and then 1.7. Then I tried it directly from 1.3 to 1.7 and it worked fine too!

All the previously reported titles now play great!

Hope this helps someone!
No one left at Samsung are smart enough to read their own directions and burn the ISO image onto a disc properly. They have been just creating a data CD-r with the ISO file burned on it. You have to use imaging software (on the Mac DiskUtility or Toast) to correctly take the ISO image and create the boot/update disc. This was happening back when 1.7 released and apparently still happening. What a bunch of bozos. To be fair maybe all the support techs there are millennials that have never seen optical media or understand how to burn an ISO to disk ;-)

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. Ya I know I'm a few days early but the bosses extended family had to celebrate Christmas Eve tonight since one of their divorced daughters does not have the kiddies this year so I get to get in the mood a few days early :-)
post #13990 of 14010 Old 12-21-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Wow, $12.99 is what I paid for 'Snake Eyes' on VHS!
I see three issues with this post; paying $12.99 for any movie, on VHS nonetheless and "Snake Eyes" seriously. You know I'm just giving you crap. Why oh why isn't Snake Eyes on HD-DVD ;-) Is it even on BD. If it is/was would anyone actually buy it?
post #13991 of 14010 Old 12-21-2015, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Sorry I missed this post last night. AVS isn't sending me updates in a timely fashion and I didn't see a post until this evening. To confirm this and what you already found there are no ill effects switching back and forth from any of the firmwares. The only reason I would think that you would want to run any version other that 1.7 would be if you just have to watch the top of the screen tearing issues HDs in 24fps in which case you would probably want to run 1.2 but then you would have no bitstream of audio and only 2 channel DDTHD. Or if you just had to play some of the newer Disney DVDs that refuse to play on anything newer than 1.4. I have one lingering issue with some import HDs that the audio is in DTS-HD MA and the discs won't play in 24fps due to the long standing coding issue with some discs (Tosh kludged this with a patch that allows these to be played at 24fps even though the coding on the disc is incorrect). As many of you may recall there is an issue with playing DTS-HD MA discs not in 24 fps and it causes dropouts. Fortunately there are usually other audio options and internal decode (of course only core DTS can be extracted by this player) but it kinda sucks to not be able to take full advantage. That's why I keep a Tosh A35 in the storage room to play these discs and one or two discs in my collection that refuse to play on the Sammy.

The only thing that I have found when you bounce around with firmwares is that the loader code always stays at, usually, the latest code from 1.7. I'm still convinced that older firmwares had newer loader code, but running that which is loaded with 1.7 seems to not have made a difference (I.E. nothing that used to play breaks and nothing that never has played gets fixed). Somewhere in here I documented exactly how you can get your loader code at the various releases (given you have the same loaders that I have, others have seen other results at times).
post #13992 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Sorry I missed this post last night. AVS isn't sending me updates in a timely fashion and I didn't see a post until this evening. To confirm this and what you already found there are no ill effects switching back and forth from any of the firmwares. The only reason I would think that you would want to run any version other that 1.7 would be if you just have to watch the top of the screen tearing issues HDs in 24fps in which case you would probably want to run 1.2 but then you would have no bitstream of audio and only 2 channel DDTHD. Or if you just had to play some of the newer Disney DVDs that refuse to play on anything newer than 1.4. I have one lingering issue with some import HDs that the audio is in DTS-HD MA and the discs won't play in 24fps due to the long standing coding issue with some discs (Tosh kludged this with a patch that allows these to be played at 24fps even though the coding on the disc is incorrect). As many of you may recall there is an issue with playing DTS-HD MA discs not in 24 fps and it causes dropouts. Fortunately there are usually other audio options and internal decode (of course only core DTS can be extracted by this player) but it kinda sucks to not be able to take full advantage. That's why I keep a Tosh A35 in the storage room to play these discs and one or two discs in my collection that refuse to play on the Sammy.

The only thing that I have found when you bounce around with firmwares is that the loader code always stays at, usually, the latest code from 1.7. I'm still convinced that older firmwares had newer loader code, but running that which is loaded with 1.7 seems to not have made a difference (I.E. nothing that used to play breaks and nothing that never has played gets fixed). Somewhere in here I documented exactly how you can get your loader code at the various releases (given you have the same loaders that I have, others have seen other results at times).
Yeah, I don't think I would ever revert back to any of the older firmware. The only reason that I was requesting the older versions was because none of the 1.7 discs that Samsung sent were able to be read by my UP5000. I assumed that this was because there was some code omitted in one of previous firmware versions (1.4, 1.5, or 1.6) that wasn't in 1.3, so it was unable to make a "four version firmware jump". That that was the reason why my player was unable to read any of the 1.7 discs that Samsung had sent me and kept "spitting them out".

So to clarify, even after doing incremental updates taking my player from 1.3 to 1.4, then 1.5, then 1.6, my player STILL would NOT read any of the 1.7 firmware discs that Samsung had sent me. I had to burn my own CD-R from the 1.7 file I downloaded from their website. Then, and only then I was able to go from 1.6 to 1.7. Once I discovered that the 1.7 disc that I made worked, I decided to try going directly from 1.3 to 1.7 on my other UP50000, and it worked just fine. There was NO need to ever update it (or my other player) from 1.3 to 1.4, 1.5, or 1.6.

The funny thing is that the Samsung support that I spoke to prior (and there were many, including level 2 support and their supervisors), were adamant that my player should be able to make the jump directly from 1.3 to 1.7. SO they were right about that, yet they had no clue why any of the 1.7 discs that they kept sending me weren't able to be read by either of my players. At first they sent me a second disc thinking the first one they had sent me was bad. Then they sent a third disc, and that one didn't work either. It seemed extremely unlikely that I would have received three bad discs, so when I called them at that point, I had requested 1.4 - 1.6, thinking it must need to be done incrementally. They argued with me that I shouldn't need to do that, and then begrudgingly said they would send those. But then sent a single fourth 1.7 instead.....and then subsequently a fifth 1.7 disc instead! After receiving five 1.7 discs, it definitely seemed impossible that they all could be bad, but low and behold, they all were!

Anyway, problem solved, and I am now extremely happy to be able to watch some of these newer released Blu-rays that I just recently discovered would not play on my UP5000.

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone who still owns one of these "ancient" players!
post #13993 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I see three issues with this post; paying $12.99 for any movie, on VHS nonetheless and "Snake Eyes" seriously. You know I'm just giving you crap.
Why oh why isn't Snake Eyes on HD-DVD ;-) Is it even on BD. If it is/was would anyone actually buy it?
Merry Christmas! ... Four ☼☼☼☼ (stars) out of five: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Snake-.../30454/#Review

* Highly recommended (directed by the grand master of cinema; Brian De Palma).
{I own it on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray.}

~ Bob
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-22-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: *
post #13994 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think I would ever revert back to any of the older firmware. The only reason that I was requesting the older versions was because none of the 1.7 discs that Samsung sent were able to be read by my UP5000. I assumed that this was because there was some code omitted in one of previous firmware versions (1.4, 1.5, or 1.6) that wasn't in 1.3, so it was unable to make a "four version firmware jump". That that was the reason why my player was unable to read any of the 1.7 discs that Samsung had sent me and kept "spitting them out".

So to clarify, even after doing incremental updates taking my player from 1.3 to 1.4, then 1.5, then 1.6, my player STILL would NOT read any of the 1.7 firmware discs that Samsung had sent me. I had to burn my own CD-R from the 1.7 file I downloaded from their website. Then, and only then I was able to go from 1.6 to 1.7. Once I discovered that the 1.7 disc that I made worked, I decided to try going directly from 1.3 to 1.7 on my other UP50000, and it worked just fine. There was NO need to ever update it (or my other player) from 1.3 to 1.4, 1.5, or 1.6.

The funny thing is that the Samsung support that I spoke to prior (and there were many, including level 2 support and their supervisors), were adamant that my player should be able to make the jump directly from 1.3 to 1.7. SO they were right about that, yet they had no clue why any of the 1.7 discs that they kept sending me weren't able to be read by either of my players. At first they sent me a second disc thinking the first one they had sent me was bad. Then they sent a third disc, and that one didn't work either. It seemed extremely unlikely that I would have received three bad discs, so when I called them at that point, I had requested 1.4 - 1.6, thinking it must need to be done incrementally. They argued with me that I shouldn't need to do that, and then begrudgingly said they would send those. But then sent a single fourth 1.7 instead.....and then subsequently a fifth 1.7 disc instead! After receiving five 1.7 discs, it definitely seemed impossible that they all could be bad, but low and behold, they all were!

Anyway, problem solved, and I am now extremely happy to be able to watch some of these newer released Blu-rays that I just recently discovered would not play on my UP5000.

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone who still owns one of these "ancient" players!
So ya, this is a "typical" for folks over the past couple years with Sammy support. The discs you were sent were not "bad" per se just incorrectly created. The data file that was burned on the disc could be read into a computer then the ISO properly burned onto a CD-R (or R/W if that was your pleasure). So I would recommend keeping at least one around as your backup file for the 1.7 image. I think the problem might be there newer operating systems where it is easy to drag and drop to create a disc. Of course that process would only just place the data file on a disc directory and not burn the image. I am betting that windows has something similar to how the mac works for when you just want to put files on a disc.

Anyhow, glad you finally got things working. Did you by chance when you were working with tier 2 and possibly higher and management to request a new firmware for the player? There are still issues to resolve. Most recently the issue with if I remember right Paramount discs that won't play and you have to select chapter 1 (or in some cases chapter 2) to get the movie started. Might be Universal? I hadn't had my player on for months as at the end of the Summer I got quite busy at work and have not had time for TV none the less movies. I did crank it on very early this morning to make sure that it still played HD-DVDs and BDs as I need to decide which couple of holiday movies I will watch for Christmas this year. Both Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (HD) and Rare Exports loaded up fine. I suppose with the new Star Wars out that I should watch the Star Wars Holiday Special. I have that burned to DVD somewhere in the collection.
post #13995 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Merry Christmas! ... Four ☼☼☼☼ (stars) out of five: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Snake-.../30454/#Review

* Highly recommended (directed by the grand master of cinema; Brian De Palma).
{I own it on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray.}
Ok so maybe I need to give it another chance? I see that High Def Digest hasn't bothered to review it and it's been out for over two years now. I remember thinking it was an odd movie when I saw it in the theater back in '98? Not really a Christmas movie, so it will have to wait for another time.
post #13996 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok so maybe I need to give it another chance? I see that High Def Digest hasn't bothered to review it and it's been out for over two years now. I remember thinking it was an odd movie when I saw it in the theater back in '98? Not really a Christmas movie, so it will have to wait for another time.
I see that it is also on Netflix, so maybe if I'm bored one day I will check it out and see if it is purchase worthy.
post #13997 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Should be easy to find on their website, but here it is: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../BD-UP5000/XAA

Note that their website is messed up and this link is not working at the moment and you can't navigate to support for ANY bd player. This happens from time to time.

This player is excellent at all it does, but there are sill some issues with a handful of HDs, thats why I recommend you use a Tosh if yo have one for them (or put the miles in the 5K to preserve it). It's also a fantastic BD player, but can be slow in loading.
Quote:
So ya, this is a "typical" for folks over the past couple years with Sammy support. The discs you were sent were not "bad" per se just incorrectly created. The data file that was burned on the disc could be read into a computer then the ISO properly burned onto a CD-R (or R/W if that was your pleasure). So I would recommend keeping at least one around as your backup file for the 1.7 image. I think the problem might be there newer operating systems where it is easy to drag and drop to create a disc. Of course that process would only just place the data file on a disc directory and not burn the image. I am betting that windows has something similar to how the mac works for when you just want to put files on a disc.

Anyhow, glad you finally got things working. Did you by chance when you were working with tier 2 and possibly higher and management to request a new firmware for the player? There are still issues to resolve. Most recently the issue with if I remember right Paramount discs that won't play and you have to select chapter 1 (or in some cases chapter 2) to get the movie started. Might be Universal? I hadn't had my player on for months as at the end of the Summer I got quite busy at work and have not had time for TV none the less movies. I did crank it on very early this morning to make sure that it still played HD-DVDs and BDs as I need to decide which couple of holiday movies I will watch for Christmas this year. Both Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (HD) and Rare Exports loaded up fine. I suppose with the new Star Wars out that I should watch the Star Wars Holiday Special. I have that burned to DVD somewhere in the collection.

Interesting that you mentioned the dragging and dropping method. I wasn't aware that there was a difference, and the first few copies of firmware that I created were done this way, and didn't work!

I wasn't aware of any other issues, so I didn't mention it. Not that these guys are that smart to correctly document any problems anyway, based on their lack of being able to help me.

I'm happy to test any movies you have heard are problematic, if I have them.

Thanks again!
post #13998 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting that you mentioned the dragging and dropping method. I wasn't aware that there was a difference, and the first few copies of firmware that I created were done this way, and didn't work!

I wasn't aware of any other issues, so I didn't mention it. Not that these guys are that smart to correctly document any problems anyway, based on their lack of being able to help me.

I'm happy to test any movies you have heard are problematic, if I have them.

Thanks again!
The upgrade documentation located here (from the support link-more info I think) is pretty darn clear as to the procedure. http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...date_by_CD.pdf

How to make a firmware update CD
Please follow the below procedures.
1 Download the new firmware file from www.samsung.com
2 If the firmware file is compressed (*.zip), the file should be uncompressed to CD image file
(*.iso).

3 Please burn the CD image file on a blank CD-R/RW disc
1) 2)
Warning
Recommended CD Burning Program is Nero Burning ROM.
Burning Options (in case of using Nero Burning ROM)
A. ‘Recorder’ menu ‘Burn Image...’ Select an uncompressed image file(*.iso)
B. Please check ‘Finalize CD (No further writhing possible!)’
C. Please refer to your own CD burning Program Manual if you want to use any other
CD burning program for burning ISO image file.
D. Make sure if the downloaded software is eligible for your BD-UP5000.
E. The System Upgrade will not be executed if using the update CD made with NOT
following the upper procedures.

I have seen the following mistakes. Not uncompressing the .zip and simply writing the .zip to a data disc. Not burning an uncompressed ISO image, which I am assuming is what was happening to you. And even using the wrong type of disk I.E. a DVD rather than a CD which is required. Inspect the discs you were sent. If the file is what you download and has a .zip, .img or .iso extension then just a data CD-R with a directory and the file was created. If it has a single file in the root of the disc named (in the case of 1.7) 120213_01_UP5000_XAA.RUF then the disc was created correctly.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 12-22-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #13999 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps the previous post will help someone trying to upgrade or trying to get Sammy to send them a properly created disc. On a side note I have been successful on the Mac using both Toast and Apple Disk Utility in creating firmware update discs. However when dealing with my Tosh player I have to use Disk Utility or the discs do not work. Thankfully I haven't had to create a Tosh update disk in ages. My other players; LG BH200 and Yammy both allow for USB updates in addition to online and disc. I have never updated a HDP on-line as I prefer to be in control of the quality of the bits the best to my capabilities at hand. I used to own an olden Sony BD player and that one was easy to write the disc on the mac, but a royal pane in the arse to get the file off the site, uncompress it and get it ready for the burn. As I recall they really only supported Windows and I had to use some tool to extract the file.
post #14000 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
High-Def Digest are more into HD DVD ... in general. And they don't have time to review all the masterpieces out there, on Blu-ray.

Also, heavily biased towards/against some master movie makers; Ridley Scott and Brian De Palma (few, among them).

* The cinematography and tension (music score) in 'Snake Eyes' are fantastic.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #14001 of 14010 Old 12-22-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
High-Def Digest are more into HD DVD ... in general. And they don't have time to review all the masterpieces out there, on Blu-ray.

Also, heavily biased towards/against some master movie makers; Ridley Scott and Brian De Palma (few, among them).

* The cinematography and tension (music score) in 'Snake Eyes' are fantastic.
Not correct. They haven't reviewed a HD in ages. I generally trust their reviews over others since it's a bunch of different folks reviewing. I ignore eventing about the move. What I generally want to know is if the VQ and SQ are decent. I generally never buy a movie that I haven't seen or don't at least already know about it and have read reviews (from other sources). Mostly I just want to know the specs. on the movie and if there are any major defects. It's also where I find out about most of the defective discs that are out there that you can request a replacement disc from the studio/manufacturer. Anyhow, I don't see where they have not caught the majority of the "popular" releases and a bunch of others. They do miss a few here and there if they don't get samples or someone on there does not own it. I did notice that recently they have been doing a lot of game reviews also, something I am not into nor interested in.

You are probably correct on the bias towards directors (we all have them). But I would hope that only affects their rating of the movie and not it's technical aspects. They have been spot on for really crappy stuff and generally if they rate something as "must have" they are almost always correct (with a heavy about of bias towards that particular reviewers likes and tastes). Generally reviews of anything I take with a heavy grain of salt anyhow.
post #14002 of 14010 Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Wow, this legendary player has had an incredible run.
post #14003 of 14010 Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Not correct. They haven't reviewed a HD in ages. I generally trust their reviews over others since it's a bunch of different folks reviewing. I ignore eventing about the move. What I generally want to know is if the VQ and SQ are decent. I generally never buy a movie that I haven't seen or don't at least already know about it and have read reviews (from other sources). Mostly I just want to know the specs. on the movie and if there are any major defects. It's also where I find out about most of the defective discs that are out there that you can request a replacement disc from the studio/manufacturer. Anyhow, I don't see where they have not caught the majority of the "popular" releases and a bunch of others. They do miss a few here and there if they don't get samples or someone on there does not own it. I did notice that recently they have been doing a lot of game reviews also, something I am not into nor interested in.

You are probably correct on the bias towards directors (we all have them). But I would hope that only affects their rating of the movie and not it's technical aspects. They have been spot on for really crappy stuff and generally if they rate something as "must have" they are almost always correct (with a heavy about of bias towards that particular reviewers likes and tastes). Generally reviews of anything I take with a heavy grain of salt anyhow.
That was a way of speech...many folks are still living in the past with deep sadness and nostalgia. ...I can still read it in few people over there.
Of course they don't review any more HD DVDs...it's a dead format. But that don't mean that many aren't still attracted/in love with. ...XBox folks.
And it's a "rotten" format too, with some of them titles that don't play anymore. ...But it's normal; they never had the chance to perfect the format...it died before it can happen. And the majority of those titles have only a DD+ (lossy) audio soundtrack @ best...ouch! ...Same with Netflix.
...Only one layer too...so no chance to superior picture quality.

And now, with UHD Blu-ray it seems that FOX studios is going to encode a 3D audio soundtrack only on them! ...And not on the regular Blus...2D and 3D!
It's a big disappointment for me this year.

And bias we sure all have; some more than others. And me I'm a huge Ridley Scott and Brian De Palma's fan. ...All their films...more or less.

Yes, that was just a way of speech.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-07-2016 at 01:33 AM. Reason: "few"
post #14004 of 14010 Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, both Minions and Pixels load and play fine. You will however need to use internal decode (PCM) as both of these are DDTHD 7.1 (and Atmos) and are highly CGIed of course. We all know that is a lethal combination for audio dropouts. Also I would not spend your hard earned cash on either of these. Both defiantly free red box rentals at best.
post #14005 of 14010 Old 01-18-2016, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wink

Happy New Year Mr. K. Good to see that you continue to hold down the fort .
post #14006 of 14010 Old 01-18-2016, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick View Post
Happy New Year Mr. K. Good to see that you continue to hold down the fort .
Thanks. Hardly holding down the fort. I rarely have time to watch movies anymore.
post #14007 of 14010 Old 01-31-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Goosebumps loads and plays fine, however it's another Atmos DDTHD 7.1 CGI action movie, so internal decode is required to avoid some super bad audio dropouts.
post #14008 of 14010 Old Today, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
And the majority of those titles have only a DD+ (lossy) audio soundtrack @ best...ouch!
DD+ is fortunately higher bitrate and has been proven in at least one blind lab test to be indistinguishable from its lossless master. That's not too great of a woeful tale for those still spinning their HD DVDs. The rotting disc and no more support issues are another matter entirely.
post #14009 of 14010 Old Today, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

This recent banter reminded me to mention that the X-files discs seem to load and play fine. I have only viewed disc 1 and 2 from season 1 so far. I started re-watching on Netflix in HD Plus format (1080p and DD+ on my Roku). I found several of the seasons for cheep (1,2,3 5&6 under $15 each shaped) on Amazon and figured I would see how much better they are on blu. I wasn't expecting much of a difference, but both the PQ and SQ are quite a bit better on blu and in DTS-HD MA. The picture is much sharper and the color saturation better with the blus. Also the sound has more of a punch, is cleaner and the surround accuracy seems much better. Oh and I have verified that I have plenty of speed for the ~6mbps stream that is required for full quality Netflix HD quality. It takes a few seconds for everything to ramp up, but I do get to full quality before the dude sticks his hand in the fountain on the test video that reports the stream speed.

I'm glad I decided to start collecting these to replace my aging DVDs of the series. I haven't picked up season 4 yet since I haven't been able to find it at a price I am willing to pay which is a shame since that is probably the best season of the show and probably why it's more than the others.

Anyhow DD+ is equivalent (in specs) to DTS though I've never heard it sound as good or superior to 1.5 mbps DTS probably due to low encoding rates on most content? That being said it's not to shabby and I have no problem watching an old HD in DD+. Certainly better than most of what you are going to watch on TV or stream. I think the biggest draw for Netflix, Amazon and VuDu streaming in DD+ is the ability to support 7.1 though of those services the only one I have seen actually deliver 7.1 is UvDu. It might exist on the others but I don't often watch new content on those. I'm happy if I get 5.1 on most of the content that I stream. For the most part that is the case now, but not true a short time ago.

Have fun and be careful out there. It's a wild and scary place now with; Ultra HD, Atmos, DTS-X, HDR, Dolby Vision, OLED, Quantum Dot, 4K Blu-Ray players and discs (in a few short weeks). It all makes my head spin.
post #14010 of 14010 Old Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
DD+ is fortunately higher bitrate and has been proven in at least one blind lab test to be indistinguishable from its lossless master. That's not too great of a woeful tale for those still spinning their HD DVDs. The rotting disc and no more support issues are another matter entirely.
DD+ is @ 3.0 Mbit/s audio resolution (HD DVD), divided by six channels (5.1). ...It is a lossy audio codec (compressed).
On BR DD+ is @ 1.7 Mbit/s

My ears can tell the difference between DD+ and Dolby TrueHD (Lossless, uncompressed audio - 6 times more resolution @ 18 Mbit/s).
...That, from vast experience with over 5,000 Blu-ray titles in my collection.

* DD 5.1 (without the plus) is 448 Kbps @ best (and 384 Kbps from many titles). ...On average.

...And Dolby TrueHD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital

Dolby technologies in packaged media formats

HD DVD Blu-ray Disc DVD-Video DVD-Audio LaserDisc
Codec Player support Channels (max) Max bit rate Player support Channels (max) Max bit rate Player support Channels (max) Max bit rate Player support Channels (max) Max bit rate Player support Channels (max) Max bit rate
Dolby Digital Mandatory 5.1 504 kbit/s Mandatory 5.1 640 kbit/s Mandatory 5.1 448 kbit/s Optional in video zone for playback compatibility on DVD-Video players 5.1 448 kbit/s Optional 5.1 384 kbit/s
Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 3 Mbit/s Optional 7.1 1.7 Mbit/s
N/A
Dolby TrueHD 8 18 Mbit/s 8 18 Mbit/s

~ Bob
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page