BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 471 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

post #14101 of 14130 Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
How many more years will you be hassling Samsung to "update my damn player!?"
We were rather caught by surprise when they released the 1.7 firmware. I think that hoping for a 1.8 update is wishing upon a dream. But as I mentioned, 1.7 was a surprise.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14102 of 14130 Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
We were rather caught by surprise when they released the 1.7 firmware. I think that hoping for a 1.8 update is wishing upon a dream. But as I mentioned, 1.7 was a surprise.
That was a surprise. More of a relief. They waited 20 months to release that firmware. I had expected an update sometime early 2012 since they had updated all of their other olden players for the newer Disney release issues. I didn't know at the time that those updates also included tweaks to newer Fox movies. I had all but given up on ever seeing another update for this player. Given my track record I should eventually be able to get someones attention so they know they have messed up older movies with this release. That is how I got 1.6 released back in the day. Those issues were more severe however as the movies would not play at all. These at least play with an annoying timeline pop-up.

I did speak to a supervisor I think last week. I wanted to speak to 2nd level or a higher level support as issues reported on the front lines rarely go anywhere. I did get a call back for a CS survey (something that I opted out of) but I doubt my concerns will be addressed at all.
mhobart likes this.
post #14103 of 14130 Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Ya, I was wrong on a couple accounts. I was going by my Google Drive store that has some select firmwares that someone requested a while back and did not look at my archive. You are right the first one was a typo. Here are the correct dates and the only ones that I have ever had. I missed the original, the first update which I think was 1.0 and the 2nd update which was 1.1. I think my original player shipped with 1.1 and I had to download and install 1.2 while I patiently waited for 1.3 which was the 1st really decent release for this player (but did re-introduce some issues that were corrected in earlier updates).

080306=1.2
080529=1.3
081027=1.4
100427=1.5
100601=1.6
120213=1.7
160401=1.8

Sorry for the confusion. It's pretty easy as the first 6 numbers are the release date (actually the creation date and the release dates were later once they tested) and if you start with one you know you can figure it out.

No problem & thanks for the information.
Now I can install 1.2 then 1.7 and see how my player works.

Resistance is not futile.
We refuse to be assimilated.
-rjp
post #14104 of 14130 Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone remind me about the playing issue with Warner Brother's HD DVDs, and whether there is a workaround? I just tried three unopened ones and none of them want to load -- Battle of the Bulge, Purple Rain, Grand Prix. Other HD DVDs seem to be OK.
post #14105 of 14130 Old 05-06-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick View Post
Can someone remind me about the playing issue with Warner Brother's HD DVDs, and whether there is a workaround? I just tried three unopened ones and none of them want to load -- Battle of the Bulge, Purple Rain, Grand Prix. Other HD DVDs seem to be OK.
My guess is that it is disc rot. There are no WB HD play issues that I am aware of but HD titles from that company seem to be more susceptible to the rot issue. I haven't seen any of those issues in my original personal collection yet but have received more than a few in the past couple years that refuse to play on any of my players including my Tosh. So far I have ran into a Dukes of Hazard, I think a Willy Wonka and my Gran Prix plays but has major issues throughout the film. I have been meaning to get my Purple Rain out and play it. I bought both of the latter mentioned titles for cheep on half.com not too long ago so they were not new to me an I don't know their history. I suspect that time of manufacture, handling and storage can have a major impact on playability. Check your discs for a hazy film on the surface. If it is there from outgassing of the plastic case then clean it off with some spectacle cleaner. I have found that you need something alcohol based like you can buy at Sam's Club or Costco. I even use the nice soft synthetic cleaning cloth that they give you for cleaning glasses. Seems to be the right combination that does not scratch the disc. However if there is no haze then it's either rot or your loader is just super sensitive to those discs and/or might be going south. One of these days I am going to open one or two WB titles in my collection and see what I find.
post #14106 of 14130 Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
My guess is that it is disc rot. There are no WB HD play issues that I am aware of but HD titles from that company seem to be more susceptible to the rot issue. I haven't seen any of those issues in my original personal collection yet but have received more than a few in the past couple years that refuse to play on any of my players including my Tosh. So far I have ran into a Dukes of Hazard, I think a Willy Wonka and my Gran Prix plays but has major issues throughout the film. I have been meaning to get my Purple Rain out and play it. I bought both of the latter mentioned titles for cheep on half.com not too long ago so they were not new to me an I don't know their history. I suspect that time of manufacture, handling and storage can have a major impact on playability. Check your discs for a hazy film on the surface. If it is there from outgassing of the plastic case then clean it off with some spectacle cleaner. I have found that you need something alcohol based like you can buy at Sam's Club or Costco. I even use the nice soft synthetic cleaning cloth that they give you for cleaning glasses. Seems to be the right combination that does not scratch the disc. However if there is no haze then it's either rot or your loader is just super sensitive to those discs and/or might be going south. One of these days I am going to open one or two WB titles in my collection and see what I find.
Thanks Mr. K. I'll try giving them a good clean.
post #14107 of 14130 Old 05-07-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I popped in Purple Rain HD last night and all was well. I watched a good portion of it and some of my favorite songs from the film. I haven't had a chance to check any others. I know my Grand Prix is messed up so I won't bother with that one. I don't own Battle of the Bulge. If you run into others that have issues I can check. I know that Willy Wonka is one that many folks run into issues with so I will check that one next when I get time.
post #14108 of 14130 Old 05-08-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Willy Wonka was probably my first experience with disc rot on any video format (didn't fiddle much with DVDs). It turns out Blu-ray has a fair bit of failures occurring from many studios as well: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=249210

In addition to my Criterion failure, I've got a Paramount (Cloverfield) that fails to play the last 4 minutes of the flick (before the credits begin).
post #14109 of 14130 Old 05-08-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Willy Wonka was probably my first experience with disc rot on any video format (didn't fiddle much with DVDs). It turns out Blu-ray has a fair bit of failures occurring from many studios as well: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=249210

In addition to my Criterion failure, I've got a Paramount (Cloverfield) that fails to play the last 4 minutes of the flick (before the credits begin).
I got WW out and all is fine. I purchased it new and sealed. It's got some scratches on it since I attempted at one point to keep the OBI (or whatever you call it) in tact on the case and I messed it up a little getting it in and out of the case. Despite that it's just fine. It also dozen't have any haze on it. This particular disc is in a much nicer case than many of my others. I suspect that they changed them up at one point or maybe WW warranted a better package.
post #14110 of 14130 Old 05-08-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for sending that link. I knew about a great number of the messed up discs but seems I have many in my collection that I did not know may potentially have issues. Batman TV series, Battlestar Galactica (original series), Carlos (Criterion audio issue), Event Horizon (need to check mine for rot), My Girl (black crush?).

I have had several Criterions replaced. My Prestige hasn't rotted yet. Got my Right Stuff and Sunshine replaced.

I had no idea about the many Disney disc issues. There are a few others but the ill effects sound not worth replacing like the incorrect subtitles on Air Force One etc. I knew about the Gladiator issues and bought both versions on purpose. I'm not about to open my original Blade Runner collectors set to check if it has a wrong disc #5. I have the HD set in both the regular (opened) and briefcase (unopened) versions. Had the BD set for sale for ages. I don't think I have ever opened my Starship Troupers but that replacement campaign is inactive anyhow.

Interesting about the early Lionsgate rot issues. I have actually ran into a few of those that were ether bad when I purchased them new to me or rentals that have had issues. My original used copy of 3:10 to Yuma went bad on me and I had to replace it with a former rental that was fine last time I checked it. I still hold to the theory that Wallace and Gromit killed my first loader in my main player. All was fine with that loader until I tried to play that disc and then it went tango uniform and now refuses to play some Lionsgate titles. Maybe it is the discs that are bad and the loader is fine? I'm not even sure I still own that loader at this point. I might have trashed it?
video_analysis likes this.
post #14111 of 14130 Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I checked the storeroom and I do still have my original loader (that won't play some Lionsgate's now) and my 1st replacement drive that I bought on eBay that developed and issue playing long discs past the layer change. The one I run now came out of a broken player I bought for cheep on eBay (had a bad main board). It's the best loader I have ever ran. That bad player then got a new main board and another marginal loader I purchased on eBay (works great but will only update with CD-r/ws). It's what I refer to as my project player since it's the one I mess with when I don't want to brick my main player or I have a lot of discs to verify and don't want to wear out my main player.
post #14112 of 14130 Old 05-08-2016, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. I've got quite a few on that list, too. Prestige and Sunshine are okay as of the last 2 weeks (Event Horizon played fine in the last 5 months), but 3:10 to Yuma probably needs a recheck (it's been at least a year). Not sure how many other older Lionsgate titles I have.
post #14113 of 14130 Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No problem. I've got quite a few on that list, too. Prestige and Sunshine are okay as of the last 2 weeks (Event Horizon played fine in the last 5 months), but 3:10 to Yuma probably needs a recheck (it's been at least a year). Not sure how many other older Lionsgate titles I have.
A note on Sunshine. I got mine replaced since there is supposed to be some sort of issue with commentary or somethingarother. I haven't noticed a difference between my original and the replacement except the new case is one of the new thin eco friendly ones. I don't think the problems existed on the 5k but on other players. I have heard it is a crap shoot if your Prestige will rot. My guess is that all original release 3:10s will go TU at some point. I will get mine out when I check Event Horizon one of these days.

Makes me wonder how many discs I have in my collection that are now junk? I have 1000s and a good portion of them are unopened. I also wonder if leaving them sealed prevents rot or accelerates it? Anyhow I'm not going to sit and check them all. One of these days I will get bored with TV and start watching my movies so I can get through them all. For the most part I have had the 2nd hand ones in a player but I have gotten really lazy the past couple of years. I also have not been buying as many. I'm down to 1-2 a month on average where I used to buy 5-10 a week before the past few years.
post #14114 of 14130 Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that I spent a good portion of the last hour resetting my password on AVS....

...anyhow both Midnight Special and Creative Control load and play without issue. I went to the local video store over the weekend to get Midnight Special since it isn't in the box (yet?) and saw Creative Control and remembered I wanted to see it. They were having a 1/2 price BD rental sell and I hadn't been in for a while. I should have checked since it's free on Amazon Prime (I was alerted to that since it's an Amazon Studios release). Anyhow it wasn't worth the $2 that I spent to rent it. Was ok, but not great. Midnight Special however is a very good movie. I probably won't purchase it as it's one of those movies you only need to watch once, however the soundtrack is quite good and the LFE channel is pretty active during the scifi scenes. Oddly the version of Midnight Special they have is the rental single disc version. I doubt there is much difference in it and the full retail version? I frequent this place since they usually don't have rental versions but the full retail version instead.

Just FYI about that store. I noticed that they have started carrying Ultra HD 4K BDs and have quite a few available for rent. That's kinda cool, but it will be quite some time before I get into it and HDR. When I do I won't have to re-buy all my favorite movies, I can just rent them from the place down the street.

If you don't hear from me again it's because I forgot my new long complicated password and was never able to get back on again
post #14115 of 14130 Old 07-05-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

This player has just received a major update. Check out the picture now being displayed on Samsung.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home-Theater-Systems.png
Views:	63
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1529361  
puckhead likes this.
post #14116 of 14130 Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
This player has just received a major update. Check out the picture now being displayed on Samsung.com.
A major update? As in new firmware? Could you provide a link? I couldn't find ANY support link anymore for the player on samsung.com:-(

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
post #14117 of 14130 Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
A major update? As in new firmware? Could you provide a link? I couldn't find ANY support link anymore for the player on samsung.com:-(
The link is still there. Recently the generic picture of a player (or whatever was there before) has been replaced with the graphic that I included of a generic full HT setup. I just found it a little amusing.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../BD-UP5000/XAA
post #14118 of 14130 Old 08-02-2016, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
How many more years will you be hassling Samsung to "update my damn player!?"
I think in hindsight, the idea that our optical players would require regular updates just to play your discs was a bit shortsighted and definitely not in favor of the customer. Imagine if DVD required that.. If you think about it, in a way the DIVX plan of the late nineties ended up happening to HD optical media.
post #14119 of 14130 Old 08-03-2016, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The link is still there. Recently the generic picture of a player (or whatever was there before) has been replaced with the graphic that I included of a generic full HT setup. I just found it a little amusing.

LoL ....you had me going there for a minute
post #14120 of 14130 Old 08-03-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
I think in hindsight, the idea that our optical players would require regular updates just to play your discs was a bit shortsighted and definitely not in favor of the customer. Imagine if DVD required that.. If you think about it, in a way the DIVX plan of the late nineties ended up happening to HD optical media.
I have actually ran into situations where an optical drive needed an update to play a particular DVD or CD, but it's really rare. I still think that some sort of class action suit is in order to force all the manufactures to support all the players with updates in perpetuity (or at least until the last BD is manufactured). After all the industry set the standards, so they should have to support them. It's not my fault that my olden players have lasted so long
post #14121 of 14130 Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

So, the link still accesses version 1.7 from 2013?
post #14122 of 14130 Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
PS Has anyone tried Spectre BD on this machine with 1.7? Does it work?

PPS: I agree with Mr Kludge - a class action suit to force them to support their products would be in order. I am certainly in. They did announce that they would continue to support this player after HD DVD failed. That is why I bought the darn thing :-(
post #14123 of 14130 Old 08-04-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbens View Post
So, the link still accesses version 1.7 from 2013?
Yup.
post #14124 of 14130 Old 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbens View Post
PS Has anyone tried Spectre BD on this machine with 1.7? Does it work?
Yes it works fine. I reported on that back in March.
post #14125 of 14130 Old 08-14-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have actually ran into situations where an optical drive needed an update to play a particular DVD or CD, but it's really rare. I still think that some sort of class action suit is in order to force all the manufactures to support all the players with updates in perpetuity (or at least until the last BD is manufactured). After all the industry set the standards, so they should have to support them. It's not my fault that my olden players have lasted so long
Perpetuity? Frankenstein players aside, that's a hard sell. In fact, they might try to incorporate some legalese loophole making the claim it doesn't apply to players supporting obsolete formats. I wonder if there are still more than 20 people using this player.
Ph8te likes this.
post #14126 of 14130 Old 08-14-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Perpetuity? Frankenstein players aside, that's a hard sell. In fact, they might try to incorporate some legalese loophole making the claim it doesn't apply to players supporting obsolete formats. I wonder if there are still more than 20 people using this player.
Well, there are still some HD movies which are only in HD-DVD format. Not many but a few. That's why I still keep my 5000 connected to my system. :-)

post #14127 of 14130 Old 08-15-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, I know...damn the studios for being laggards. My guess is they feel those titles aren't worth bringing over to BD. Universal is the biggest offender: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...t-blu-ray.html

At least Patch Adams is due soon.
post #14128 of 14130 Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Someone may have already mentioned it, but Batman Vs. Superman Extended Edition BD works fine.
post #14129 of 14130 Old 08-19-2016, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Ha! I'm glad I didn't have it rack-mounted when it transformed into that new shape.
post #14130 of 14130 Old 09-18-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi there. I forgot to post a while back that Now You See Me 2 loads and plays fine. I also viewed Now You See Me before since when I started the former I didn't really remember what happened. Note that it's Linonsgate and I got it out of the big red box so it's the crippled rental version with no DDTHD/ATMOS. I don't know why I bother with the rentals, but at least there were no dropouts and the movie fairs well with just DD. The 1st one was from my collection and in DTS HD-MA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page