BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 473 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #14161 of 14174 Old 02-18-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 2432
Even before Net Neutrality was enacted, I didn't notice a lot of price hikes. I think there are both valid arguments for and against it. The more fiber is laid by the likes of Google, the less likely it is for the old guard to get away with anti-trust violations. I'm not going to fret over it just yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14162 of 14174 Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Even before Net Neutrality was enacted, I didn't notice a lot of price hikes. I think there are both valid arguments for and against it. The more fiber is laid by the likes of Google, the less likely it is for the old guard to get away with anti-trust violations. I'm not going to fret over it just yet.
Google has recently stated backing away and finishing up their current experiment. They are now partnering with others for what I understand mostly Wi-Fi solutions. They have fond, like many others, that building and supporting an extensive fiber infrastructure is expensive. I'm in that business. So don't count on Google to fix the issue for us. With mass consolidation happening now in the telecommunications market expect prices to rise and quickly. Bandwidth will expand quite a bit and hopefully caps will be lifted or eliminated (might require an extra fee like with mobile data and several cable and telecommunications companies) but the average price paid per. month by the average consumer is expected to go up especially if you happen to cut the cable cord due to HD and 4k and beyond viewing.
post #14163 of 14174 Old 02-19-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 2432
So they finally learned what Verizon did? There goes the last bit of respect I once had for Google. That's too bad...resources really are finite after all. I'm locked in my current price for at least another year. Trump seems opposed to the NBC/Time Warner merger. I can only (most likely vainly) hope that concern extends to monopoly breakups.

post #14164 of 14174 Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dr. Strange works. Great flick.
post #14165 of 14174 Old 03-14-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead View Post
Dr. Strange works. Great flick.
Thanks Puck. The boss and boss to be of someone watched Moana on Sunday. Oh wait that was on the LG BH200...whoops. I will pop it into the 5k now that it is open but I suspect and expect no issues there. With the DVD, maybe.....
post #14166 of 14174 Old 04-17-2017, 09:32 AM

Rogue One works.
post #14167 of 14174 Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Rogue One works.
Good to know I would expect that. However if you happen to have The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2 and your disc has anomalies on the edge and a dent in the center it won't play. I first ran into this on the LG BH200 when the boss decided she wanted to watch it and I had just opened the package to redeem the digital copy. I didn't notice when I first opened it but it had been damaged. No damage to the outside of the case and it was factory sealed. Been over a year since I purchased it off of fleeBay so no way to return and I haven't bothered yet to call Lionsgate about it. I hear they are hard to deal with on issues like this. Anyhow I purchased a BD disc only and had forgot about Lionsgate hobbling rentals of Atmos and bonus features. So I have ordered the 3-disc Target deluxe from a GoodWill hoping that will at least have a BD that is fully featured and functional. I'm doubtful since it only cost me less than $4 (after Amazon Chase Prime card points and shipping re-imbursement from free shipping.com.
post #14168 of 14174 Old 05-01-2017, 02:47 PM

A little bit of an older title, but Guardians of the Galaxy works. Great flick that looks spectacular. It was a little dim in the first scene in the cave where he jumps a crevice and below there are some wiggly monster things, but after that I didn't notice anything too dark.
post #14169 of 14174 Old 05-16-2017, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi there. I forgot to post that both The Edge of Seventeen (both rental and retail versions) and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them load up and play fine with no issues.

On a side note my robot that checks for firmware updated got an error on the page back on the 8th. Samsung is showing page not found when you try to get to the support page and firmware for this player. Not the first time this has happened. I reported it to Sammy today and am working with them to get the page back. I don't think it is a case of them pulling the page since you can select the player in the support section. The page is just missing. Looking at their code it appears that they reorganized the pages and forgot to add it or there is just a bug.
post #14170 of 14174 Old 05-18-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In case anyone cares Sammy has restored the 5k support pages so no page not found error anymore and my robot is working again. Not that it will ever again detect a new firmware but a boy can dream....
post #14171 of 14174 Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
In case anyone cares Sammy has restored the 5k support pages so no page not found error anymore and my robot is working again. Not that it will ever again detect a new firmware but a boy can dream....
I'm hoping for 4K, 3D, HDR, and Atmos support in the next FW update. Oh, and HDMI 2.0 while they're at it. And, this might be a longshot, but playing Playstation games would be cool.
RonAlam likes this.
post #14172 of 14174 Old 05-19-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm hoping for 4K, 3D, HDR, and Atmos support in the next FW update. Oh, and HDMI 2.0 while they're at it. And, this might be a longshot, but playing Playstation games would be cool.
Ha. At this point I would be happy if they just fixed the recent Fox red screen of death issues. I haven't tried any recent Fox titles since the last few tanked. Sammy has said they won't fix and update. I reported it to Fox also so maybe they can work around. If and when there is a decent Fox movie out that I just have to watch on BD I will give it another whirl. If the Sammy does not work I can always use the Yammy. Fortunately there hasn't been anything I can't wait for it to come out on premium cable, or one o the many streaming services.
post #14173 of 14174 Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 AM

I hear you. It would be nice if they kept up the the recent titles, but I'm not really surprised they don't.

My machine is still an excellent up-converter and when the discs play, it's picture is second to none.
post #14174 of 14174 Old Today, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rented The Accountant last night. Excellent film, loaded and played without issue. DTS-HD 7.1 soundtrack had great gunshot effects (more like anti-aircraft gun/rounds if you have seen the film). It was a Warner rental without bonus features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players