BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1441 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caneman View Post

I was just at a BB store and was told by a knowledgeable salesperson there that they had an initial shipment of units but then a large number in their warehouse were reclaimed by Samsung to correct "issues". There was no word on how long that would take. I don't know if this is true, but he is not your average salesperson. He does know his stuff technically and knows the products they sell. I can only hope that among the corrections are fixing the analog out issues.

It's difficult to trust this type of report (not from you, but from the BB employee.) Why would a single BB employee have substantially more detailed inside knowledge of this? Why would other BB's continue to receive and sell these units if this was the case? This seems like a situation where somebody overheard somebody else theorizing on this subject, and thought that it was actual hard information.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

I've noticed a considerable amount of detail loss with the darker end of the picture (black crush).

Based on my tests so far, the 5000 appears to be able to display blacker than black signals -- i.e. it doesn't appear to suffer from black crush. In what situations did you see the black crush issues? Are you 100% sure that it wasn't just an issue with the display's calibration? I'd like to test the same thing you did to see if I see the same issue you are referring to. Thanks for any details you can offer on this.

Quote:
the 5000 is fairly sharp and the audio is decent, though the bass is weak (I compensate with 2500 Watts and 4 15 subs).

Since you're referring to using the PCM outputs (since there shouldn't be any difference between players when using digital outputs), are you saying that the 5000 is actually attenuating the analog LFE signal? The only way the 5000 could have less bass is if it was actually malfunctioning, and I would "think" that this is something that would easily have been caught ahead of time.

Thanks,

Larry
post #1443 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 AM

I have a 6.1 NON HDMI Onkyo Receiver. When I get my 5000 I intend on hooking it up via the analogs.

Since I have a 6.1 Speaker setup instead of 7.1, do I just hook one of the two back channels up or do I need to use a splitter cable to combine the two back connections to one so bo audio is lost?
post #1444 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 AM

I think I finally made it through the what, 49 pages of this thread (over the last three days). I went from being very excited about finding the 5000 at Best Buy on 12/24 (Spokane), to pretty bummed out after reading all the nasty remarks. I had been looking forward to this for quite some time and was really surprised when it caught my eye. There had been the 5000 $799 sign in an empty space for over a month and now there was a box there. I was told it was the only one and I got it. I have never been able to get anything that was in short supply/demand, so I was quite excited. I was doing a Google search that night, which led me to this thread. I was so tired of the constant newsgroup flame wars and trolling, that I wanted to look for some valid info.. I quickly realized that though I was always into electronics, I did not have the tech. knowledge many have here (I knew I didn't have it to start with) as I have no experience in the field, other than I love movies, music and gadgets. There is a lot of very useful info to be culled from this site. There is also a lot of re-hashing of the same info., with varying opinions/speculation, which has obviously caused much confusion. I was really surprised how many people were/are more interested in the sound, than the picture quality issues. There were some calls to Tech Support, but unless I missed it, no one ever asked about the video noise issue, or the 4:3 problem that many, including myself find to be a problem. Sound decoding (I am pretty sure) can be fixed VIA firmware, as shown with other bands and models. The 1400 being one of them. But, can the video be fixed without replacement of processors and/or decoders?

This forum is definitely more polite than the newsgroups, as no body is calling someone who doesn't agree names, but it still can be off-putting with all of the negative comments (i.e. the constant ending of every post saying the 5000 is a piece of junk). I know I am a newbie and this is my third post (in three days), I am here to learn something and yes the 5000 may end up to be a piece of junk, but the initial reviews have pointed to this as the way to go if you don't want to wait for the war to end, or buy separates. Every player has issues and there may be too many in the end for this one, who knows. Many are praising the Panasonic DMP-BD30, but it has issues as well, especially at the price point. Yes it passes signals, but it does not decode them and there are video issues. Check out the review on BlueRayFreak.com, not just the short overview, but click on the source and read it all. It basically comes down to do you want to spend some more for BluRay 1.1 (as this is the only player that currently meats the specs), when no 1.1 discs are available - for now. I just want the player to foremost give me the video and, yes the sound first. There is a lot of extras on the the discs and I can live without the additional downloaded content of the 1.1, if necessary.

In closing, am I going to keep the player?...I am not sure. It does both and from what I have seen, pretty well. Is everything there...NO. We all know the updates will come for sound. That has been promised in print and I am sure it will occur. The video issues, I have no idea and that may be the deal breaker for me. It is definitely a work in progress and it is kind of interesting to test it out. I just wish I was being paid to do so, rather than paying to do so. But, I don't necessarily think it is a big P.O.S., as many seem to.

Hope I didn't step on any toes and thanks to all the productive and knowledgeable posts that are in the thread.
post #1445 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

Regarding the "jaggies," this could very well indicate that the SXRD is not properly deinterlacing the signal. In the absence of more evidence, this problem could just as easily be the display and not the 5000.

The noise is a different issue, but given some of the posts here, I can't help but wonder if people are reacting to extremely detailed reproductions of film grain, and that the "less noisy" images produced by other setups could be more aggressive noise reduction.

Larry

i'm keeping the player as these issues aren't troublesome to me unless i'm *looking* for them which i normally do not do when i'm sitting back, relaxing and watching a movie...it is the full experience of visual and audio that keeps me watching movies.

that said, this is not an issue with my display not properly deinterlacing since the display doesn't have this issue with any other source. more specifically, i am not simply looking at this and looking for flaws, i'm looking at it and comparing to what it is replacing. i am literally a/b comparing this with the XA1 (the 5K is physically sitting on top of the XA1)...i am using the same cables...that is, i'm unplugging the XA1 connections and applying them to the 5k and vice versa.

imo, there seems to be something wrong with the 1080i output setting; i've confirmed that i see this also on bd discs so it isn't limited to hd dvd.

when i move this over to my 50in plasma, i don't see these issues when outputting 1080p but do notice a difference in noise when switching between 1080p24 and 1080p60 (the former having more *noise*)...granted i see things on my 70in that i won't see on the 50in given the size difference just like some on this forum who have 120in see things that 99.999% of the general population can't see just simply b/c of the size factor.

this may be as simple as something not being properly configured within the HQV processor...i recall at the beginning the XA1 had lousy 720p output but i think it was ultimately fixed.
post #1446 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 AM

Reference my previous post, I am not saying the Panasonic is no good, I am just saying that for everyone who says to go that route, rather than the 5000, there may be someone who has another opinion. Hence my siting the BluRayFreak review. Also, the Panasonic does not have an Ethernet port, so it does not have it all, nor will any player...at least obviously not yet. Aren't format wars wonderful?
post #1447 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 04:33 AM

Liked: 12
I purchased a BD-UP5000 from BB last Monday and finally had an opportunity to watch the movie "300" on HD DVD last night. One thing I noticed during the initial phase of loading/reading the media is the DVD player made more noise than I expected. Once the movie began to play, the BD-UP5000 ran silent. Has anyone else experienced operating noise from their BD-UP5000?
post #1448 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

I purchased a BD-UP5000 from BB last Monday and finally had an opportunity to watch the movie "300" on HD DVD last night. One thing I noticed during the initial phase of loading/reading the media is the DVD player made more noise than I expected. Once the movie began to play, the BD-UP5000 ran silent. Has anyone else experienced operating noise from their BD-UP5000?

i'm a good 15ft from the player when it loads up but i just loaded a disc and stood by to observe...i didn't hear any unusually loud noise...i'm pretty sure my ps3 makes much more racket when loading...and then the fan on the ps3 kicks in!!!
post #1449 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 AM

Perhaps I'm being more critical than I should be. The DVD was a rental; I'll try some other DVDs tonight.
post #1450 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps I'm being more critical than I should be. The DVD was a rental; I'll try some other DVDs tonight.

i haven't placed a single standard def dvd in the unit; i was referring to playback of bd and hd dvd discs...

i just popped a few more in and notice that it sounds completely different based on whether you insert a bd disc or a hd dvd disc...hd dvd i hear more of a high speed spinning (but not vibration, just a disc spinning fast) whereas with bd i hear like linear motors actuating...

i supposed this makes sense since the focus depth of the two formats is different and there would be some focusing mechanism that would have to move the lens...
post #1451 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 05:07 AM

It is very disheartening to hear that according to the guy who spent 57 minutes with Samsung that there is not firmware update. How can this be? I have called them and they told me that there was one coming. With the audio issues the people are experiencing, they need one. I have until the end of January to decide if I want to keep the 5000.
post #1452 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

i haven't placed a single standard def dvd in the unit; i was referring to playback of bd and hd dvd discs...

i just popped a few more in and notice that it sounds completely different based on whether you insert a bd disc or a hd dvd disc...hd dvd i hear more of a high speed spinning (but not vibration, just a disc spinning fast) whereas with bd i hear like linear motors actuating...

i supposed this makes sense since the focus depth of the two formats is different and there would be some focusing mechanism that would have to move the lens...

I was watching the "300" on HD DVD last night. I'll try some SD & Blu Ray DVDs tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1406 View Post

It is very disheartening to hear that according to the guy who spent 57 minutes with Samsung that there is not firmware update. How can this be? I have called them and they told me that there was one coming. With the audio issues the people are experiencing, they need one. I have until the end of January to decide if I want to keep the 5000.

Same here, I have until 1/31/08 to return the player. The clock is ticking... tic-toc, tic-toc.
post #1453 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what audio issues?
post #1454 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 06:21 AM

I will pay more attention, but have not heard any noise from mine. I was thinking last night how amazingly quiet it is, especially when I am coming from a noisy PS3.

I am still amazed how great HD, BluRay and standard DVD's look on this player!

Quote:

post #1455 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

Mine won't even load "Pan's Labyrnth" Hd-DVD. I'm beginning to rethink my position on this player.

Im not real surprised...its a new release and New Line is fairly new to the HD formats. I bet Samsung will release firmware to solve this soon. Fingers crossed.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -
Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
post #1456 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 AM

I have successfully played Transformers, Live Free or Die Hard & Pirates 3 (no menu issues) on this player. I have the player connected via HDMI to my Sony A2000 & an optical cable to my Yamaha 5.1 receiver. For the above titles I have been able to output Dolby Digital 5.1. For Spiderman 3, it will only play in Pro Logic for the English tracks but will play in Dolby Digital 5.1 for the foreign language tracks. Is there a setting on the player that will allow for a Dolby Digital 5.1 English track on the Spiderman 3 DVD?

Other item noted is that the player starts from the beginning of the disc for both Blue Ray & HD DVD once stopped. The manual states that it should resart from the stopping point, hopefully a firmware update will fix this.
post #1457 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 AM

Hey Everyone...I just picked one of these up yesterday at BB and my first HD-DVD "the Italian Job" was flawless! First Blu-Ray...LFORDH Didn't Play first time in the machine, but did after a shutdown and restart. My bigger issue is backwards compatability...I have had a few of my older DVD's "LA Confidential, Braveheart, and one new one Beerfest" Skip, and become very unstable as they were loaded, picture and audio became un-synced, and picture became very very jittery....anyone else having these problems?
post #1458 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypwisthis View Post

I have successfully played Transformers, Live Free or Die Hard & Pirates 3 (no menu issues) on this player. I have the player connected via HDMI to my Sony A2000 & an optical cable to my Yamaha 5.1 receiver. For the above titles I have been able to output Dolby Digital 5.1. For Spiderman 3, it will only play in Pro Logic for the English tracks but will play in Dolby Digital 5.1 for the foreign language tracks. Is there a setting on the player that will allow for a Dolby Digital 5.1 English track on the Spiderman 3 DVD?

Other item noted is that the player starts from the beginning of the disc for both Blue Ray & HD DVD once stopped. The manual states that it should resart from the stopping point, hopefully a firmware update will fix this.

the resume feature on both hd dvd and bd is something that must be authored into the title.

based on what others have stated, and my own confirmation for at leat fantstic 4 rise of the silver surfer, many bd titles are authored to take advantage of this, but there are definitely some that aren't...is it sony lately that hasn't been doing this for some reason?
post #1459 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

This is so typical of large companies. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing and neither of them actually know what is going on. Frankly, none of this means a damn thing. One has two choices, keep your player and wait or return it. I plan to keep mine.

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #1460 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM

I'm really happy with my BD-UP5000. It works great with the two movies I've got for it so far and it's better at up-converting standard DVDs than my old player was. The only problem I've found with it is that there's no way to get it to play my Region 2 DVDs yet.
post #1461 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery View Post

The only problem I've found with it is that there's no way to get it to play my Region 2 DVDs yet.

for this reason I m waiting for the EU release. It is releasing on 10 jan. 2008
post #1462 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:

It's difficult to trust this type of report (not from you, but from the BB employee.) Why would a single BB employee have substantially more detailed inside knowledge of this? Why would other BB's continue to receive and sell these units if this was the case? This seems like a situation where somebody overheard somebody else theorizing on this subject, and thought that it was actual hard information.

Larry

What you are saying does make sense. If no one else has heard this then perhaps it is not true. Some additional details of what he said (again, may or may not be true): 1) over 200 were sent back fom the warehouse, 2) a customer's order had to be cancelled as a result. As an aside I also called Crutchfield and the person there denied any knowledge of the audio issues with the 5000. Sounds like he was just reading their own description of the unit. I have decided to wait this out and get a cheap player to hold me over for now. I do thank the contributors to this forum for information that helped me better understand the tech involved and which way to go with my purchasing decision. btw I did call samsung and told them I would but the unit as soon as the issues were resolved based on what I heard on this list.
post #1463 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 AM

I am not as fluent as many of you are in the jargon used to describe the issues with the audio so hopefully this question is easy. I have a Outlaw 990 and I was planning on hooking up the BD UP 5000 through my multichannel outputs to get the True HD audio. Does this work correctly as it stands now or is a firmware upate needed to allow it to work correctly? Thanks
post #1464 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiness4me View Post

I am not as fluent as many of you are in the jargon used to describe the issues with the audio so hopefully this question is easy. I have a Outlaw 990 and I was planning on hooking up the BD UP 5000 through my multichannel outputs to get the True HD audio. Does this work correctly as it stands now or is a firmware upate needed to allow it to work correctly? Thanks

See the FAQ referenced in the first post of this thread for a lot of detail on audio. Bottom line is THD does not decode correctly at this time (just 2 channel - just like the LG dual player). Expecting a firmware update to fix it.
post #1465 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Since you're referring to using the PCM outputs (since there shouldn't be any difference between players when using digital outputs), are you saying that the 5000 is actually attenuating the analog LFE signal? The only way the 5000 could have less bass is if it was actually malfunctioning, and I would "think" that this is something that would easily have been caught ahead of time.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry - I posted this in post # 1028 a ways back. I assume you meant "Analog" rather than "PCM" in your post...

"I poked around a little more as I started to recall discussion around this topic in the past. Check out this very informative thread. Looks like it may be a normal phenomenon to have bass 10db to 15db low on the analogs (at least that's my read at this point).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

As I mentioned above, I found a setting on my receiver that boosts the analog input bass by 10db - it may be a common feature that's just buried in the setup on your receiver."

Check out the referenced thread from above. As I said, it looks like reduced bass from DVDs over analog outs is "normal". I just fired up my 5K yesterday and didn't have a lot of time (or discs) to mess with, but I did confirm the bass level on the analog out is down quite a ways using the bass calibration tones (DD5.1) on the AVIA disc. I have not put a meter on it yet (will do that over the next fews days and report back), but I did engage my +10dB boost and that helped a bit.

Doing an A/B between analog and toslink, my ear told me the +10dB boost was still coming up a bit short which would be consistent with AVIA's use of bass in the regular speaker channels to test redirection circuitry as opposed to purely in the LFE channel so as per the referenced thread, it may be closer to 15dB down. When I put the meter on it I'll report back, but there's no doubt (at least on mine and other units) that the bass on the analog is down (but not a defect in the 5K based upon my interpretation).

Doug
post #1466 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohling View Post

I think I finally made it through the what, 49 pages of this thread (over the last three days). I went from being very excited about finding the 5000 at Best Buy on 12/24 (Spokane), to pretty bummed out after reading all the nasty remarks. I had been looking forward to this for quite some time and was really surprised when it caught my eye. There had been the 5000 $799 sign in an empty space for over a month and now there was a box there. I was told it was the only one and I got it. I have never been able to get anything that was in short supply/demand, so I was quite excited. I was doing a Google search that night, which led me to this thread. I was so tired of the constant newsgroup flame wars and trolling, that I wanted to look for some valid info.. I quickly realized that though I was always into electronics, I did not have the tech. knowledge many have here (I knew I didn't have it to start with) as I have no experience in the field, other than I love movies, music and gadgets. There is a lot of very useful info to be culled from this site. There is also a lot of re-hashing of the same info., with varying opinions/speculation, which has obviously caused much confusion. I was really surprised how many people were/are more interested in the sound, than the picture quality issues. There were some calls to Tech Support, but unless I missed it, no one ever asked about the video noise issue, or the 4:3 problem that many, including myself find to be a problem. Sound decoding (I am pretty sure) can be fixed VIA firmware, as shown with other bands and models. The 1400 being one of them. But, can the video be fixed without replacement of processors and/or decoders?

This forum is definitely more polite than the newsgroups, as no body is calling someone who doesn't agree names, but it still can be off-putting with all of the negative comments (i.e. the constant ending of every post saying the 5000 is a piece of junk). I know I am a newbie and this is my third post (in three days), I am here to learn something and yes the 5000 may end up to be a piece of junk, but the initial reviews have pointed to this as the way to go if you don't want to wait for the war to end, or buy separates. Every player has issues and there may be too many in the end for this one, who knows. Many are praising the Panasonic DMP-BD30, but it has issues as well, especially at the price point. Yes it passes signals, but it does not decode them and there are video issues. Check out the review on BlueRayFreak.com, not just the short overview, but click on the source and read it all. It basically comes down to do you want to spend some more for BluRay 1.1 (as this is the only player that currently meats the specs), when no 1.1 discs are available - for now. I just want the player to foremost give me the video and, yes the sound first. There is a lot of extras on the the discs and I can live without the additional downloaded content of the 1.1, if necessary.

In closing, am I going to keep the player?...I am not sure. It does both and from what I have seen, pretty well. Is everything there...NO. We all know the updates will come for sound. That has been promised in print and I am sure it will occur. The video issues, I have no idea and that may be the deal breaker for me. It is definitely a work in progress and it is kind of interesting to test it out. I just wish I was being paid to do so, rather than paying to do so. But, I don't necessarily think it is a big P.O.S., as many seem to.

Hope I didn't step on any toes and thanks to all the productive and knowledgeable posts that are in the thread.

You're just seeing human nature at it's best. This is similar to going to a restaurant. You expect good food and service. When you get it, you might tell one person, when you don't, you tend to tell more about your negative experience. In these forums, it is highly unlikely that there are users who have NO issues with their devices continuously coming back to say how great it is. They're busy using their components, enjoying their movies, etc. It's those of us who have issues that seem to keep coming back. I have a Samsung BD-P1200 and a Toshiba HD-A3. My A3 performs flawlessly, my 1200 has many issues. Guess which "thread" I frequent more???

HD DVD: 64
Blu ray : 173
SD DVD: 621
post #1467 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Santa (my wife) scored the Samsung from a local Best Buy, to complete our new dedicated home theater.

My 5000 is hooked up via HDMI 1080p to an Anthem D2 pre-pro with integral Gennum video processor, and then from the D2 to a JVC RS-1 front projector. Screen is 114" wide/132" diagonal acoustically-transparent (speakers behind the screen) SMX 16:9 size, in a completely light-controlled dedicated home theater room. 7 channels of Triad in-wall speakers, 3 subwoofers, Buttkickers in each chair, etc.

When everything is configured properly, the Samsung's picture and sound is awesome. 24 fps on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD works as advertised, providing smoother pans and movement (especially noticeable on film credits). Upconversion of standard DVDs by the Samsung's Reon chip is at least as good as that provided by my D2's Gennum chip when used with my older 480i DVD player. I've got the Samsung configured to deliver 1080p/24 (or 1080p/60 for some discs) into the D2, so the only processing the D2 does is some slight gamma adjustment to compensate for my projector.

Even sitting close to a big screen, I can't detect ANY video noise from the Samsung -- the picture is nice and clean beyond the film grain that's supposed to be there. This is with noise reduction OFF on all equipment.

Where I DO have complaints is about the immaturity of the firmware and lack of standards support on the discs:
- On Casino Royale BD, choosing "LPCM" on the Samsung causes the "Uncompressed LPCM 5.1" on the disc to be grayed out to where you can't select it. You have to set the Samsung to Bitstream (Audiophile) to make the LPCM soundtrack option on the disc selectable. This is wrong.
- On all the discs I play (BD or HD-DVD), whenever I use a Dolby Digital soundtrack (decoded by the player or by my D2 pre-pro), there's a transient "stutter" sound that occurs about once every 5-10 minutes (this doesn't happen on LPCM uncompressed playback).
- As reported by others, occasionally a soundtrack will generate a constant distorted/garbled motorboating sound -- which can be fixed by selecting an optional soundtrack and then switching back to the original.
- On the Planet Earth series of HD-DVDs, the menus don't work, requiring you to manually forward thru multiple tracks.
- On the 3rd Pirates of Caribbean BD, the menus are all messed up and virtually illegible -- I had to walk up the screen to read the tiny red writing, and some menus don't even fill the entire screen.

I've yet to play a BD or HD-DVD that doesn't have at least one issue. Given that both formats have been out for a year, we shouldn't have to work so hard to exploit their best performance. At least it's been possible to find work-arounds to enjoy each movie.

- Dave
post #1468 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
...posted 'Alerts' on their support page

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ma...SupportMain.do

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #1469 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 09:27 AM

Amazon now says February 1st for their delivery. Seems to be slipping again.

You lucky few who already have one, seem to be luckier yet...

HD DVD: 64
Blu ray : 173
SD DVD: 621
post #1470 of 13593 Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

...posted 'Alerts' on their support page

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ma...SupportMain.do

Although it does not mention the 5000, I am sure they will apply to that as well. What pisses me off is that this is more likely the fault of the studios than Samsung. Samsung is far from the only manufacturer to see this stuff. It is typically arrogant of the studios to display the "firmware upgrade" message when it is what they did that caused the problem.

Kinda like colliding with someone when you strayed into their lane and then blaming them for not getting out of your way. Typical Hollywood behavior.

Quote:

Amazon now says February 1st for their delivery. Seems to be slipping again.

You lucky few who already have one, seem to be luckier yet...

Yeah, I do order a lot from Amazon but some things they are really crappy on. I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray "Blade Runner" months ago and when the release date came they had bumped the ship date. Fortunately, in this case, Buy.com had it in stock so I just cancelled (with a nasty note as to why) and got it at Buy.com. Too bad that is not so easy with the 5000.

BTW, the Blalde Runner disc is just stunning on the 5000 (I have the Blu-Ray version but have been told the HD-DVD is just as good) - a great demo of HD and a must have for anyone with a player!

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page