BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #121 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

First of all, sorry for a possible off-topic post, and moderators please feel free to delete or move if you need to, but before we get too despondent on the subject of the memory - let me suggest the possibility that SileasResearch (who purchased what I believe was to be a "display model") may indeed have a "display model".

Let me explain - perhaps Samsung already had some early units that made it through manufacturing prior to settling on what will become the device's final configuration (256MB as stated in an earlier post on a different thread).

What if Samsung left a few of these pre-release models in release, intended not for sale, but for use as "demo" or "display" models knowing that they needed to get product into stores for display!

If this is possible, then it is also possible that there may indeed be units with 256MB on board.

Yeah, it may all be wishful thinking, but as I was pointed out on an Amazon thread which stated that LG released hardware specifically to be used as demo/display units, does anyone else thing it may be possible?

Cheers,
Spence

It is wishful thinking. This same thought process occurred when the one guy who was able to grab the first LG200 ran in to issues. The 'hopeful' thinking was that it too was an early unit that somehow wasn't 'the real deal' for later production. It wasn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmich View Post

I'm not sure about Spence's conspiracy theory, but I can say I'm pretty positive I bought the Display Model. It came with the little sign for it and everything. Attached are pictures of of the sign, another un-boxing photo, and picture of the 5k hooked up to my tv.

Can you confirm any of the things Sileasresearch found on his unit that lead folks to believe it may be a display model? Like the 128MB on-board memory?

I personally find it unlikely stores would be selling old display models when we all know actual new units have been shipping to/from stores for the last couple weeks/days.
post #123 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:

I'm not sure about Spence's conspiracy theory, but I can say I'm pretty positive I bought the Display Model. It came with the little sign for it and everything. Attached are pictures of of the sign, another un-boxing photo, and picture of the 5k hooked up to my tv.

Many DVD/BR/HD DVD players have that same 'sign' packed within. That doesn't mean it was intended as a display unit, they all come that way.
post #124 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:02 AM

For this unit to be 1.1 "compatible" doesn't it need at least 256MB internal memory. If so, doesn't the final build need that amount in it?
post #125 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:11 AM

Hi ALL,

Questions, questions and more questions!!

I've been following ALL of the threads in the Dual Format area since it started. I pick up my 5000 from BB on Wed, and I'm definitely getting it. Yes, I'm a little disappointed about the smaller on board memory, but for me the real thing is to just play the movies!

I've already decided to get an HDMI receiver (Onkyo TX-SR705 - don't have it yet, hopefully soon!) so my question is if the 5000 bistreams TrueHD to an HDMI 1.3a receiver will the receiver get all 5 channels. I know the non-HDMI receiver people need the analogs to work which with the current firmware only gives 2 channels. But from my point of view as long as bitstream works I should be OK.

So anyone with an HDMI 1.3a receiver with TrueHD decode and the 5000, please check how it works with bitstreaming!!! Pretty please!!!!!

Thanks,
Gerry
post #126 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think this is a new practice. All of my HD players came with this as well - including my most recent- the Panasonic BD30. More than anything else I think this practice pretty much says that manufacturers don't make separate units for display vs. sale. ANY unit can be unboxed and put on display and look like it was meant to be there.

Just my .02
post #127 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

The unit I bought has 128(MB) of internal memory.

I just figured this was the display unit because they did not have one on display. When I asked about the unit the BB guy pulled it up on the computer and it showed they were only getting 1, he then looked up area stores around me and it showed almost all them were getting 1 as well. He said after that it showed back-ordered and his guess on that would be 2 to 3 weeks before they would get any more in stock. At this point I had 3 BB people around me looking and asking questions about it. I thanked the guy who helped me out and took the 5k to the front to pay for it.

Sorry I just assumed that it was supposed to be the display model.
post #128 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 AM

If they skimp on onboard memory that is really sad... I mean you can by a 1GB SD card for $10....
post #129 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:

The unit I bought has 128(MB) of internal memory...

Sorry I just assumed that it was supposed to be the display model.

No worries. We're just trying to make sure you didn't get sold something under false pretenses.

Question about the 256MB memory: why do we need it? What is the on-board memory meant to store? Will 128 suffice? If it's a cache, can it be purged to store new data?
post #130 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Just to reiterate an earlier question:

What signals will the 5000 output over optical and SPDIF? DD 5.1 only?
post #131 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

My local Best Buy has one of these, but still, I think I will wait for more in this or other threads on the player,

mntwister:

Which MN Best Buy are you referring too?
I'm in the Minneapolis area and they checked about 4 different inventory systems and all showed MN stores had none. (Although, I'm not sure if it covered Rochester and Duluth areas.)

your info is appreciated.

Thanks.
post #132 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

I've already decided to get an HDMI receiver (Onkyo TX-SR705 - don't have it yet, hopefully soon!) so my question is if the 5000 bistreams TrueHD to an HDMI 1.3a receiver will the receiver get all 5 channels. I know the non-HDMI receiver people need the analogs to work which with the current firmware only gives 2 channels. But from my point of view as long as bitstream works I should be OK.

So anyone with an HDMI 1.3a receiver with TrueHD decode and the 5000, please check how it works with bitstreaming!!! Pretty please!!!!!

Thanks,
Gerry

This is the question I asked on page one of this thread and it has been asked at least a half dozen times since. We obviously won't know the answer to this until a new owner with a HDMI 1.3 receiver chimes in.

By the way, I bought the Onkyo 705 a few weeks ago (replaced a 10 year old Sony that only had Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic) and I absolutely love it. I have the Toshiba A2 HD DVD player which decodes Dolby TrueHD and sends it to the 705 via PCM multi-channel and it is AWESOME! It does a fantastic job with everything, including music playback.

Having said that, I still want the BD-5000 if it will bitstream the lossless audio codecs to the 705 for it would be nice to have both formats (I don't the Blu-ray yet) in one machine and I want my Onkyo to do the decoding of the audio (I have heard it does a better job than any DVD player).

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #133 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

So far, I'm not liking bluray much... seems not to be a refined as the HD-DVD interface.

First of all Sileas thank you for all the feedback.

I am a dual format owner (seperate players) and I would agree. BluRay movie playback is generally good but the menu system appears to be inferior to HD-DVD. It's very clunky on some movies where as HD-DVD is rock solid.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #134 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [omen] View Post

Can you confirm any of the things Sileasresearch found on his unit that lead folks to believe it may be a display model? Like the 128MB on-board memory?

I personally find it unlikely stores would be selling old display models when we all know actual new units have been shipping to/from stores for the last couple weeks/days.

I'm think the folks who did score a unit from BB yesterday did get the display units, but I kind of doubt they will be any different than the one I will receive from Crutchfield on Monday. I will keep you updated.
I am very interested in talkdj's results with the Denon 3808ci, as that is the same setup I have. I won't say that the analog issue is not important, because I know to many of you it is, but for me, I am primarily concerned with the full rez HD codecs supported out of the HDMI....
snowtrooper1966

I have a Sith sense...I see Darth people..."
post #135 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

hey guys, I am another "got the "1" at BB" guy.

I am going to hook it up to a new Denon and let you know about the bitstreaming.

Classic, I don't have a DTS HDMA movie here though.

I will let you know about THD shortly.
post #136 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbert View Post

mntwister:

Which MN Best Buy are you referring too?
I'm in the Minneapolis area and they checked about 4 different inventory systems and all showed MN stores had none. (Although, I'm not sure if it covered Rochester and Duluth areas.)

your info is appreciated.

Thanks.

This was the Duluth store, I am closer to that one. They had one, and it was not even listed in their inventory but just sitting there near the counter. It is sold now, but I am not upset because with Dolby True at 2 channel and a question of DTS master, it would not do what I need until a firmware update comes along. I am hopeful though, I remember when the 1400 blu ray player came out everyone was surprised that 4 dats later they sent a firmware update for DTS master and Dolby True to analogs. Funny thing is I called Duluth Best Buy this morning to see if any more came in, and the guy didn't even know they had that one.
post #137 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 View Post

EE nerd....Qu'est ce que c'est? S.V.P.

Electrical Engineer, bien sur...

As for the RAM issue, I'm going out on a limb - is it possible that there's 128mb ram inside the unit, than an additional flashram unit on the bottom (easily replaceable/upgradeable) for a total of 256?

post #138 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 10:05 AM

>>I remember when the 1400 blu ray player came out everyone was surprised that 4 dats later they sent a firmware update for DTS master and Dolby True to analogs

That's what I like to hear!
post #139 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

As for the RAM issue, I'm going out on a limb - is it possible that there's 128mb ram inside the unit, than an additional flashram unit on the bottom (easily replaceable/upgradeable) for a total of 256?

Perhaps RAM that has not been addressed/enabled yet? I have seen this happen with a few other AV products. I know my Phillips Pronto took over a year for them for upgrade the firmware to address the full 32 meg that the unit contained.

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #140 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

Hi ALL,

Questions, questions and more questions!!

I've been following ALL of the threads in the Dual Format area since it started. I pick up my 5000 from BB on Wed, and I'm definitely getting it. Yes, I'm a little disappointed about the smaller on board memory, but for me the real thing is to just play the movies!

Thanks,
Gerry

Same here,
I feel for our fellow enthusiasts who plunked down some serious coin, and need this to be analogue compatible.
But, I too am anxious to hear about performance of uncompressed audio in the bitstream.
post #141 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDAstro View Post

Perhaps RAM that has not been addressed/enabled yet? I have seen this happen with a few other AV products. I know my Phillips Pronto took over a year for them for upgrade the firmware to address the full 32 meg that the unit contained.

That makes sense as well. Perhaps that memory reported is only for the "OS" for the player and has nothing at all to do with BR? Once the firmware enableing 1.1 comes along, the memory would be enabled?

I find that even more likely than my theory! ...chalk it up to early morning musings and a very bad night's sleep.

Now, to get back on topic? Where are those two or three of you that have the players up and running? What say you?! We are waiting!

Spence

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #142 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As an addendum to the list on page 1:

#11. How do HD-DVD/DVD combo discs work on this player? Any compatibility issues?
post #143 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 11:06 AM

Anyone tested it supports multichannel LPCM on HDMI for the new HD sound formats yet?
post #144 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by heja View Post

Anyone tested it supports multichannel LPCM on HDMI for the new HD sound formats yet?

I have the Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P that handles the new HD audio formats. BBFB shipped my 5000 Friday, so I should be able to answer that question soon. Since I have no Blu-ray or HD-DVD discs, are there some in particular I should have on hand that will have the particular formats you wonder about?
post #145 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Any title with multicannel Dolby true HD or DTS HD, DTS MA will do!
post #146 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkdj View Post

I'll be getting the Samsung hooked up soon. I have a 7.1 system hooked up to a Denon 3808ci. My HDMI cable for this is even 1.3a compliant (Got 4 of these from Monoprice). I'll report once everything is working. Though, honestly, Sileas is the man right now on this. Thanks Dude!

Did soon mean today or did it mean Monday? Hopefully someone can answer this question today. Heck, most of us here will be able to answer it Monday. Mine's coming Monday from Crutchfield.
post #147 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 11:49 AM

in terms of only having 128Mb of ram, I do not think that can be right. HDi requires every player to have 1Gb, if I remember correctly. There'd not be a good reason to build out the unit with separate RAM for BD and HD DVD, so it's pretty well specced for BD-J. However, the *firmware* might currently be limiting it to only see the 128. Well, it's a thought.
post #148 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Running the movie 300 (on BR) on a new yamaha receiver, the pcm track went through the hdmi with no problems 5.1, THD was 2 channels only.

I am working on getting a dts hdma disc to try, I will let you know.
post #149 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

Running the movie 300 (on BR) on a new yamaha receiver, the pcm track went through the hdmi with no problems 5.1, THD was 2 channels only.

Does your Yamaha receiver have HDMI 1.3? If so, is the BD-5000 able to send TrueHD or DTS-HD undecoded through Bitstream? I ask this because no player will send undecoded audio via PCM and we NEED to know (those of us with HDMI 1.3 receivers) if the 5000 will bitstream the audio codecs. If you do have 1.3, you need to set your player to Bitstream instead of PCM.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #150 of 13759 Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

I am working on getting a dts hdma disc to try, I will let you know.

Same thing as analog - looks like we're in the same boat...
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page