BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

Old 12-15-2007, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree on the blu-ray menus. Though I have no objections at all, the quality of blu-ray discs has been wonderful, of course when the transfer is done properly but that is the same with both formats. I am sure things will only get better on both formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

Running the movie 300 (on BR) on a new yamaha receiver, the pcm track went through the hdmi with no problems 5.1, THD was 2 channels only.

Not good at all.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's a mystery why Dolby True is 2 channel, but I find it hard to believe that with firmware this won't change. There's no way they would stay with 2 channel Dolby True, especially with an internal decoder. I am praying so anyway.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Running the movie 300 (on BR) on a new yamaha receiver, the pcm track went through the hdmi with no problems 5.1, THD was 2 channels only.

I am working on getting a dts hdma disc to try, I will let you know.

What Yamaha model are you using is it HDMI 1.1? Have other sources given you DTHD internally decoded to LPCM in multichannel?

Thanks for sharing, this is a dealbreaker for me at least.

Anyone know how the Sammy 1400 handle this?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:26 PM

So, I guess the next question is: Can the audio support be fixed in firmware? I cannot see what good a hidef player is without support for bitstreaming at least of either TrueHD or DTS-MA . . . certainly not at this pricepoint whether dual format or not. For $800, this player should do both over analog AND HDMI.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:30 PM

The first gen Toshiba was 2 channel DTHD until a software upgrade or two, so on that player it was at least possible....

But I can't say i like this, I have a finger on the cancel button ready to press...
Old 12-15-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Too late for me to cancel but not to return it.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

By the way, I bought the Onkyo 705 a few weeks ago (replaced a 10 year old Sony that only had Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic) and I absolutely love it. I have the Toshiba A2 HD DVD player which decodes Dolby TrueHD and sends it to the 705 via PCM multi-channel and it is AWESOME! It does a fantastic job with everything, including music playback.

Hi djoberg,

Interestingly, I also had an old Sony which only did standard Dolby Digital and no DTS. I originally bought the Onkyo 505 but then realized that it couldn't do TrueHD nor DTS-HD MA unless through the analog inputs. Luckily I was able to send it back and was originally going to get the 605 but it could not matrix a 5.1 format into 7.1, where as the 705 can. Unfortunately when my 505 got back to J & R, they were out of stock of the 705 (Crutchfield is also out of stock) so I'm just waiting for stock to show up.

It looks like some preliminary reports show only 2 ch over HDMI, but I'm still going to get the 5000 as I'm sure a firmware update will take care of it!!

Gerry
Old 12-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heja View Post

What Yamaha model are you using is it HDMI 1.1? Have other sources given you DTHD internally decoded to LPCM in multichannel?

Thanks for sharing, this is a dealbreaker for me at least.

Anyone know how the Sammy 1400 handle this?

Bitstreaming all known codecs works fine on the 1400.

Until we know which model Yamaha receiver and ensure that the player is configured correctly, I don't think this new bit of information adds anything.

It's possible -- even probable-- that this is the same issue as in the analogs case. Namely that the player can't decode multi-channel TrueHD.

I'd be (unpleasantly) surprised if bitstreaming of all compressed formats doesn't work out of the box.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:53 PM

I picked up a UP-5000 at the Best Buy in Santana Row - San Jose/Santa Clara - California. I called the store and the first two people I spoke with didn't know what the UP-5000 was nor could they find it in the computer system. One person mentioned that a few other people had called for the same thing. Finally, I was transferred to an employee who knew what the UP-5000 was and he informed me that they had ONE unit in stock. He offered to hold it for me (for an hour). It appears that each Best Buy was getting one unit with more to follow next week. As a side note the Santana Row store also had one LG BH200 - which was still available.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brywhite View Post

Got One!

Get that thing hooked up, powered on and give us the 411!

p-p-p-p-please?

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
Old 12-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [omen] View Post

Just to reiterate an earlier question:

What signals will the 5000 output over optical and SPDIF? DD 5.1 only?

All you can possibly get, and I'm sure the 5000 would support, is the standard DD/DTS 5.1/7.1. That is what you SD DVD players would have today.

I believe the 5000 also does PCM 2.0 over the Optical/SPDIF connection, but that is the technical limit of an optical/SPDIF connection. It simply cannot support more than a two-channel PCM data stream.

Only an HDMI connection would be able to support the higher PCM 5.1/7.1 data streams, DTS-HD, True-HD, etc.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post

Until we know which model Yamaha receiver and ensure that the player is configured correctly, I don't think this new bit of information adds anything.

It's possible -- even probably-- that this is the same issue as in the analogs case. Namely that the player can't decode multi-channel TrueHD.

I'd be *stunned* if bistreaming of all compressed formats doesn't work out of the box.

I agree it will be strange if it does not bitstream, but the question for me (and probably lots of others) is decoding DTHD to LPCM multicannel. I have no plans on uppgrading my reciver with is HDMI 1.1 and accept multichanell LPCM just fine if the "dam" player can convert the DTHD to LPCM.

Anyone kows how the sammy 1400 handle this spesific situation internal deconding to LPCM over HDMI? If it does have it done it from the start or have it been firmware upgraded to do it? My toughts are if they have upgraded the 1400 there are at least a posibility they will do it on the 5000 (and my finger are not presssing just as hard on the cancel button.9
Old 12-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13

Add me to the list of those who picked up the "1" at BB (San Bernardino). It took a while for them to find it. Computer showed one, but it took three people about 10-15 to find it. Figured I'd better get it - not sure yet if I'll open it.

Was kind of ticked that they wouldn't accept the 10% coupon - I'll fight about it when I have more time.

I'll keep reading and see if it does what I need (Lex MC-12v4 - no HDMI), so I need analog decoding. Lex has good speaker management (crossover and distance) - I'll live with the extra D to A conversion for benefits I gain with the Lex.

My main concerns are memory (although it does have the "Java Powered" symbol on the box), and how soon the firmware MA/TrueHD fix comes out.

Keep the info coming!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

Did soon mean today or did it mean Monday? Hopefully someone can answer this question today. Heck, most of us here will be able to answer it Monday. Mine's coming Monday from Crutchfield.

Well, I am not as technically savy as most of you on this thread. Here is what I can tell you so far. Very easy to set up. Hooked up the HDMI from the Samsung to the Denon, plugged in the Samsung and hit the menu to set up the audio, etc. Have it set up for bitstream (there is also an audiophile bitstream option that will only decode the main track - You can't listen to the other available audio tracks when in this position). I also plugged a lan cable to my wireless bridge from the Samsung and turned on the ntp server on the unit and it set the time and date.

I ''looked'' at the following movies:

HD DVD - Blazing Saddles - Looked great, sounded great. Denon decoded audio as DTS 5.1. All of the menus worked very well too.

BD - Pirates: Curse of the Black Pearl - Looked fantastic, sounded excellent. Denon decoded as DTS 5.1.

DVD (Upscaled) - Gladiator - This looked very good (my Oppo upscaled equally as well). The Denon decoded as DD5.1

What movie do I need to get the Dolby True HD? I have the Denon set up for 7.1.

I will have more for all of you later today. I will try and answer any questions you have too.

"With Tivo, it's like having this guy in your house watching TV for you!" -David Letterman
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I tested on the Yamaha RXV3800. HDMI 1.3

The player is set to bitstream audio. When I choose THD on the 300 BR it is recieved by the receiver and output out of the 2 mains.

When I choose the PCM track on the same disc, it is output all 5.1 channels.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:06 PM

>Only an HDMI connection would be able to support the higher PCM 5.1/7.1 data streams, DTS-HD, True-HD, etc.

I think you forgot about the analogs...
From what we know, 5.1-7.1 pcm and dd+ works fine for analog and bitstream. DTS-HD comes out of all channels but the consensus was that it's the downrezzed version and is not DTS-MA (although I don't know if this is definitely confirmed)

TrueHD is 2-channel for everbody - bitstream and analog..
Old 12-15-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

It's possible -- even probable-- that this is the same issue as in the analogs case. Namely that the player can't decode multi-channel TrueHD.

If that's the case, shame on Samsung. I have the Toshiba A2 (lower end player) and that will decode multi-channel TrueHD (and send it via PCM).

Again, I purposely bought a receiver (Onkyo 705) to receive the new hi-res audio codecs through bitstream, so if the BD-5000 doesn't do that, it is a definite deal-breaker for me. I guess I will then set my sights on a Toshiba A35 and possibly the Panny BD. I didn't want to go that route (two separate players), but I may have to.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Old 12-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

talkdj, what display device are you using and from what distance are you viewing? What output resolution and frequency are you watching?

I would like to suggest an excellent pq 4x3 format sd dvd for owners (if they so desire): "Fly Away Home".
Old 12-15-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

The player is set to bitstream audio. When I choose THD on the 300 BR it is recieved by the receiver and output out of the 2 mains.

Then something is really wrong... a bitstream is a bitstream, and unless decoded, it's payload will stay intact...

Shed... does the Yamaha indeed display a TureHD icon on it's front display or MULTCH with TrueHD selected?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:

OK, but a bit strange, is it a DTHD multi channel soundtrack?

What if you try to set the player to output PCM sound on HDMI and se what happen please.... Does it give you multichannel on DTHD or DTS MA then?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So it decodes THD and can send it HDMI as PCM, but it isn't bitstreaming THD??? Hmmm...

Odd.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
Old 12-15-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Then something is really wrong... a bitstream is a bitstream, and unless decoded, it's payload will stay intact...

Shed... does the Yamaha indeed display a TureHD icon on it's front display or MULTCH with TrueHD selected?

You know what, great question, when I choose THD it does NOT show THD on the reciever display, it shows PCM, but still only plays 2ch.

Let me do some more messing around, there are actually 2 choices for bitstream (audiophile and another)

Let me try the other setting.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson View Post

So it decodes THD and can send it HDMI as PCM, but it isn't bitstreaming THD??? Hmmm...

Odd.

I thought he said existing PCM tracks work multi-channel and THD tracks are 2-channel???
Old 12-15-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

>Only an HDMI connection would be able to support the higher PCM 5.1/7.1 data streams, DTS-HD, True-HD, etc.

I think you forgot about the analogs...
From what we know, 5.1-7.1 pcm and dd+ works fine for analog and bitstream. DTS-HD comes out of all channels but the consensus was that it's the downrezzed version and is not DTS-MA (although I don't know if this is definitely confirmed)

Agreed. The analogs will support these using on board decoding, although the DTS-MA will require the firmware upgrade, according to most published reviews.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 1536
Quote:

So even bitstream via HDMI is broken?

Does anyone know if the LG 200 can do it?

Edit: Never mind, just visited the LG200 thread and that puppy is broken too. The more I read this crap the more I firmly believe it's best to stick with two independent units. My Panny 30 BR works beautifully, loads quickly and hasn't done a thing wrong yet. Same is true of the Toshiba XA2.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post

talkdj, what display device are you using and from what distance are you viewing? What output resolution and frequency are you watching?

Have a 50 inch Sony LCD that we are watching about 10 feet distance. It is only 720p. When I originally set up the Samsung I had it set up for PCM and Denon displayed multi-channel but the surround speakers did not work. Changed the Samsung to bitsream and now reads either Dolby Digital or DTS Surround and the 5.1 set of speakers work.

"With Tivo, it's like having this guy in your house watching TV for you!" -David Letterman
Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yup, and I know the 3800 (which I too own) can properly handle DTHD via bitstream and output on all channels. It does this very nicely with the Panasonic 30 BR player.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd be (unpleasantly) surprised if bitstreaming of all compressed formats doesn't work out of the box.

The Yamaha 3800 will automatically look for the best audio codec when inputting via HDMI. That's how mine works. It would be pretty hard to set this incorrectly. Whatever is output from the player is what my 3800 decodes. It does this with BR & HD DVD.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:30 PM

I'm sorry but this player sounds like the same mish mash of uninspired crap we've been getting recently. I have already cancelled my pre order.