Movies BD-UP5000 will not play - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 141 Old 01-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3:10 to Yuma just goes to loading screen for me too. I'm about to throw this thing in the trash. can't even return the movie cause I opened it. what a scam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Well I tried FFROTSS and the only "glitch" I saw was in the trailer for The Simpsons. Was a momentary things I pressed FFWD and it went away, I was able to play the movie (I didnt watch it though) and select items from the menu. I should be getting Sunshine this week so I will update when I try that.

When the movie starts playing if you press the "info" button you should see a chapter menu and more open up on the left hand side. Try changing the chapters that way to see if that helps. This is another way to switch titles\\chapters while the disc is playing.
post #93 of 141 Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM

I'm able to play Sunshine and every other BR movie, just 3:10 to Yuma won't let me select play. Its not a faulty disc because I've download the Blu-Ray as well as trying to play the disc and same issue. no deal. Its strange that more people aren't complaining about it

post #94 of 141 Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Ok I'm a HD DVD fan, but come on.. I was looking into buying a DF player and all I see/read are ppl saying this or that BR movie doesn't work in my player. Is it the MEDIA that is the problem or is it the MACHINE? I hope to god its not the media, cause it would be sad if the "winning"format isn't even standardized so every stand alone can play it with out problems.

Am I one of the lucky guys with an A3 that has no problems playing any HD DVD movie?
post #95 of 141 Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 PM

I'm very disappointed to add that my 5000 will not play 3:10 to Yuma. I only get to the turning gears and don't even get to the trailers. I have a PS3 hooked up in the same setup and the disc played absolutely perfectly on this machine. This is the first disc my 5000 hasn't been able to play (it has worked with Pirates of the Caribbean - AWE and POTC-DMC, Bourne Ultimatum, Ratitouille, Cars, Pixar Shorts, RV, Chicago, Live Free or Die Hard and some others.) Only 3:10 to Yuma is a dud. Bummer!
post #96 of 141 Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnd Joe View Post

Ok I'm a HD DVD fan, but come on.. I was looking into buying a DF player and all I see/read are ppl saying this or that BR movie doesn't work in my player. Is it the MEDIA that is the problem or is it the MACHINE? I hope to god its not the media, cause it would be sad if the "winning"format isn't even standardized so every stand alone can play it with out problems.

Am I one of the lucky guys with an A3 that has no problems playing any HD DVD movie?

The only bad thing is that we have to different threads with similar posts, but different problems in the OP.

So far though this player has only had real trouble with the Planet Earth HD DVD, where it couldnt "jump" from the menu to the movie(only with individual scene selection "play all" will work). For some reason I think this has to do with the way the disc was authored.

All the other discs I have put in it have played just fine. I think we need to be careful BOTH sides have had their fair share of problematic discs\\players.
post #97 of 141 Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3:10 to Yuma is a no go here, just the gears turning. It is a NetFlix disc so suppose I could hold on to it till May..... Think they would mind? Hate to send it back it looks like no one has fingered it yet!
post #98 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post

3:10 to Yuma is a no go here, just the gears turning. It is a NetFlix disc so suppose I could hold on to it till May..... Think they would mind? Hate to send it back it looks like no one has fingered it yet!

Why would you want to hold on to it that long? Wouldn't you rather get OTHER titles that WILL play on this unit?

Personally, I feel that given Netflix's low stock on HD media, it would be a bit selfish to hang onto the disc for so long. I think you should let some other people have a chance to see this film.

Larry
post #99 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott01 View Post

I'm able to play Sunshine and every other BR movie, just 3:10 to Yuma won't let me select play. Its not a faulty disc because I've download the Blu-Ray as well as trying to play the disc and same issue. no deal. Its strange that more people aren't complaining about it

Apparently it works in other players
post #100 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

Why would you want to hold on to it that long? Wouldn't you rather get OTHER titles that WILL play on this unit?

Personally, I feel that given Netflix's low stock on HD media, it would be a bit selfish to hang onto the disc for so long. I think you should let some other people have a chance to see this film.

Larry

I was being a bit flipant, but thought that would have been obvious with the little blue, eyes raised, smilies dude. Of course I will send it back! ...Sheesh
post #101 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 12:52 PM

I thought I'd find the member here who complained about the Star Trek TOS Remastered S. 1 HD DVD on the UP5000. They posted to the owner's forum instead.

I have this set, and will receive my BD-UP5000 shortly, so I'm looking forward to playing the HD DVD side of this combo pack. If I end up having playback problems such as the repeating loops they described, I'd like to be able know if the discs are at fault, or whether the player is just in need of the much-anticipated firmware update to play them. Any here playing this set on their UP5000?

Prof. Bergman, Moonbase Alpha
post #102 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If it is any consolation, the LG BH100 combo player was having nearly exacty the same issues with many of the same titles that we Samsung owners are seeing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc
It seems to have fixed Pirates, since the movie started up from the main menu as it should. Didn't watch the entire movie yet, so I don't know if any problems will crop during the film.

I can confirm that the new firmware also fixed these discs as well:

Ratatouille - angle icon fixed
Cars - game now works
Live Free or Die Hard - don't know if this one had problems or not, but it played perfectly fine with the new firmware

Have yet to check Meet the Robinsons but since it was the same angle icon issue that Ratatouille was dealing with, I would assume this is fixed as well.

Overall, a superior piece of firmware from LG, my hats off to 'em as they seemed to have fixed the problems that persisted after the November update. They've certainly made one of their customers very happy with this update.

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #103 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

If it is any consolation, the LG BH100 combo player was having nearly exacty the same issues with many of the same titles that we Samsung owners are seeing.

I would have a greater warm and fuzzy if it was the 200 though, since they share the same hardware platform.

^^^ The cynic in me.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #104 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

OK well I tried Sunshine and had the same issues as others here. I WAS able to get video though by pressing the chapter skip button. I found that the player was playing both streams (PIP and movie) at the same time. I didnt know how to shut off the PiP screen though. I am thinking that this is whats causing the issues with this title.

Besides that everything is OK so far.
post #105 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So after watching the LG 100 come and go, followed by the 200, I finally went and bought the UP5000. It seemed to have better features and just looked way better.

I bought 3 HD DVDs - Aeon Flux, Clerks II and Top Gun (all on offer at Best Buy). I also bought 4 BDs (all different).

Stuck in my BD version of Cars and eventually managed to get my jaw off the floor. What a great picture and film.

Stuck in HD DVD Aeon Flux and nearly flung the player through the wall. I ended up having to power off/on the player in at least 2 different places in the film.

Thankfully a friend of mine (thanks Rich) is going to test out my AE disc on his 5000 and let me know what occurs. If the disc fecks on his then BB will replace it. If it doesn't, then maybe I'll get shot of the 5000 and go for the LG unit.

Or, considering that HD-DVD is pretty much DOA, maybe I'll just go after a Sony BD player and be done with it.

However, I will be testing my other discs as well.

Sigh, being on the leading edge is never easy......

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #106 of 141 Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

So I went stuck CLerks II in and guess what? More s**ding issues. Within the first couple of minutes, theere was visual glitches including one that took up half the screen.

So I ran it back to about where I thought I saw the first one. And then the f-ing player locked up. No response from the remote or buttons.

Power off time, load up (which I don't think is really that bad) and restart. No screen issues seen again and so far after being on for about 8 mins no other issues.

Sigh.

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #107 of 141 Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Just confirming the Pan's Labyrinth playback failure. It's the first disc I've tried that simply won't play. I wonder what New Line did with their final HD DVD that is tripping up this player. 3:10 to Yuma is another title I want and am disappointed to hear the hardware won't play it.
post #108 of 141 Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Just confirming the Pan's Labyrinth playback failure. It's the first disc I've tried that simply won't play. I wonder what New Line did with their final HD DVD that is tripping up this player. 3:10 to Yuma is another title I want and am disappointed to hear the hardware won't play it.

3:10 is a 1.1 profile disc right same as Sunshine? The reason I ask this is that the player seems to be having issues with the PiP feed on the disc. When I did get Sunshine to play the PiP was "stuck" and I wasnt able to remove it. The player could be getting "confused" with the streams. This along with the RE3 problems makes me think this.
post #109 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Stuck in HD DVD Aeon Flux and nearly flung the player through the wall. I ended up having to power off/on the player in at least 2 different places in the film.

Can you describe what happened that forced you to cycle the power? I have a problem with Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix (HD-DVD) where the video freezes while the audio continues. Happens at random points in the movie, with and without PiP going. Also requires a power off/on to correct. Is this what you're experiencing?

-Corey
post #110 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreymd View Post

Can you describe what happened that forced you to cycle the power? I have a problem with Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix (HD-DVD) where the video freezes while the audio continues. Happens at random points in the movie, with and without PiP going. Also requires a power off/on to correct. Is this what you're experiencing?

-Corey

Have you tried skipping chapters? I also found that if you press the "info" button that change the chapter that way it can clear things up as well. Ill have to try out HP OOtP and see if anything glitchy happens.
post #111 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

3:10 is a 1.1 profile disc right same as Sunshine? The reason I ask this is that the player seems to be having issues with the PiP feed on the disc. When I did get Sunshine to play the PiP was "stuck" and I wasnt able to remove it. The player could be getting "confused" with the streams. This along with the RE3 problems makes me think this.

I heard Sunshine is 1.1 but have not heard such regarding Yuma.
post #112 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Have you tried skipping chapters? I also found that if you press the "info" button that change the chapter that way it can clear things up as well. Ill have to try out HP OOtP and see if anything glitchy happens.

I'll try skipping chapters and hitting the INFO button. I did try to bring up the menu, for which I heard the "swish" sound, but the video remained frozen.

Thanks.
post #113 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Erm, without wishing to appear sarchy, I was watching the film.....

It had reached the point where Aeon has had her battle with whathisface's firend in the lab and has escaped through the portal in the wall. The black woman is pursuing through the same tunnels and you start to hear a squeaky grate.

She and the guards stop, look up and the camera pans up to the air vent and the grate. Then it stops. Period.

No button on the remote responds, neither does any on the player itself. Actually, contradicting myself, the only button that did work was the power on/off.

Funnily enough, I did try skipping to just about that point got past that one. However, it did the same later on (I forget where). This also forced a power off.

A friend of mine who also has a 5k is now looking at the disc.

I have also had issues with Clerks II. There were a few screen glitches early on in the film (like before the firefighters have left), which didn't come back when I went back and replayed that section of the disc. There was a massive transistion pause at 1hr 4mins and 43 sec. I didn't think HD DVDs were dual layer. I went back, via the remote, and played through it again. Same thing happened at the same time.

Both disc were brand new and I didn't put any sticky paw marks on them, promise.

I have the player hooked up, via Dynex 6' HDMI, to my Song KDF 1080i LCD RP. The player ad set the resi to 1080i and 60Hz refresh and I left well alone. The player is also hooked up to my Denon 2802 (yes, an oldie) via a 4' Monster 600 Optical Cable (hopes no one starts on me about relative merits of other cables ). Receiver is 6.1 and is set to output in 6.1. The player is set to bitstream/audiophile.

BTW, showing my ignorance on these things, why is 24fps refresh rate better than 60? Just curious.

post #114 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I also can't type.... ;-)

post #115 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I heard Sunshine is 1.1 but have not heard such regarding Yuma.

Looks like Yuma is 1.1 as well.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ofile_1.1/1183

I am wondering is the player is having issues with the secondary video feeds and its mucking everything up.
post #116 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Erm, without wishing to appear sarchy, I was watching the film.....

It had reached the point where Aeon has had her battle with whathisface's firend in the lab and has escaped through the portal in the wall. The black woman is pursuing through the same tunnels and you start to hear a squeaky grate.

She and the guards stop, look up and the camera pans up to the air vent and the grate. Then it stops. Period.

No button on the remote responds, neither does any on the player itself. Actually, contradicting myself, the only button that did work was the power on/off.

Funnily enough, I did try skipping to just about that point got past that one. However, it did the same later on (I forget where). This also forced a power off.

A friend of mine who also has a 5k is now looking at the disc.

I have also had issues with Clerks II. There were a few screen glitches early on in the film (like before the firefighters have left), which didn't come back when I went back and replayed that section of the disc. There was a massive transistion pause at 1hr 4mins and 43 sec. I didn't think HD DVDs were dual layer. I went back, via the remote, and played through it again. Same thing happened at the same time.

Both disc were brand new and I didn't put any sticky paw marks on them, promise.

I have the player hooked up, via Dynex 6' HDMI, to my Song KDF 1080i LCD RP. The player ad set the resi to 1080i and 60Hz refresh and I left well alone. The player is also hooked up to my Denon 2802 (yes, an oldie) via a 4' Monster 600 Optical Cable (hopes no one starts on me about relative merits of other cables ). Receiver is 6.1 and is set to output in 6.1. The player is set to bitstream/audiophile.

BTW, showing my ignorance on these things, why is 24fps refresh rate better than 60? Just curious.

I dont have Aeon Flux, but I do have Clerks II so I can check that one out and see if I have the same issues.
post #117 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Hitting INFO and skipping chapters didn't work for me. Video still frozen on a single frame while I listen to the movie's audio and skip around the chapters.
post #118 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:

That's interesting...I'll have to view this flick again to check for similar behavior (I saw it last on the 360 add-on).
post #119 of 141 Old 01-11-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:

Looks like Yuma is 1.1 as well.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ofile_1.1/1183

I am wondering is the player is having issues with the secondary video feeds and its mucking everything up.

Ah drat, no wonder it's not functioning right. All I can say is 2.0 discs had better not behave similarly on 1.1 players...or else the BDA will have hell to pay.
post #120 of 141 Old 01-12-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreymd View Post

Hitting INFO and skipping chapters didn't work for me. Video still frozen on a single frame while I listen to the movie's audio and skip around the chapters.

Hmmmmmm, that sucks ....
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page