post #121 of 141 Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Ah drat, no wonder it's not functioning right. All I can say is 2.0 discs had better not behave similarly on 1.1 players...or else the BDA will have hell to pay.

Shhhhh I dont want to even think about 2.0, lets get 1.0 and 1.1 right 1st . Well hopefully they will fix some of these issues people have been having it would be nice to watch Sunshine, but I have enough movies unwatched where I can wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 01-12-2008, 04:30 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

*dons Blu-Ray fanboy hat* shoulda' got a PS3! *removes hat and rips into shreds*

It's true. The PS3 was the only choice for a first player. Soon we'll have nice replacements for it, but now is not the time. I'm HTPC and PS3 only now. I can wait for a good DF player.
post #123 of 141 Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
First the good news.

My sub-woofer has just had a fantastic work out....

If not already done so, I can add one more burnable disc type to the list. I have a Fujifilm DVD+R DL that was burnt as a DVD Video from Nero 6 and it played pretty much without fault.

I played a couple of SD-DVDs and they also pretty much played without fault. There were a couple of times when the disc stopped (and my heart was in my mouth), but they continued on.

Now the bad news.

As titled, Top Gun didn't.

Chap2, 5:41 video glitch. No audio break up, didn't happen again.
Chap3, 15:44 total freeze up. We were at Mira Mar, with the text on the screen and the bike in the top left. I had long enough to go get paper, pen and write all this down.

Having read other posts on the 'feature', I took this oppotunity to test *every* button on the remote. I can confirm that the player did not respond to info etc (including all the tv buttons etc) and it did not respond to the buttons on the unit itself. It was power off time.

So I started it back up, jumped to before that area and the film ran to the end without further issue.

After this, I put in the TOS disc and confirmed ep2 as being unplayable.

I put TG back in and changed audio tracks. I went from DD 5.1 to DTS 7 channel. Film went straight through. So I stopped and restarted the film, confirmed that the audio was back at 5.1 and let it go. And it just went past that time.

So, I'm going to turn the player off and turn it on tomorrow night and see what it does.

More discs for my friend Rich to try......

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #124 of 141 Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote: Another addition, reported in the owners thread:

Planet Earth HD-DVD, problem using the scene selection.

I realize that's more of a "problem with a disc" rather than a "disc that will not play", but still, obviously a firmware issue, which could of course rear its head for other hd-dvd discs.

Not only can I not select chapters from the main menu (simply kicks in the opening menu sequence of photos and music) but it has frozen the player completely about 15 minutes into playing the disc (tried several different areas on the disc by jumping chapters using the ">>" button). I have to completely power off the player to get it unfrozen, can't even open the tray to abort the disc.
Are these same issues present with the blu-ray version?

Bob
post #125 of 141 Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zens View Post

3:10 to Yuma just goes to loading screen for me too. I'm about to throw this thing in the trash. can't even return the movie cause I opened it. what a scam.

Couldn't get any further than the loading screen on "3:10" either- just sits there with the gears turning. Not going to return the movie though, since it is a great flick and will either play on the 5000 after a FW update, or a different machine should I chose to return it (which I am still on the fence about doing).

Also finally tried PotCAWE and it played fine. Suberbad played fine, but could not access the disc menu once the film was playing (somewhat similar to the prob I had w/ Ratatouille, although with that one, none of the functions worked once the film was playing- except the power button).

Hairspray played fine for what it's worth.

I'm still on the fence because it seems that a lot of Blu-Ray DVDs are coming with a note inside stating that discs may not play on certain players until FW updates have been completed- so there you have it right there. Ideally, all of these movies should play eventually. It's just a trade-off: you can have one DF player and the convenience of one remote, one component (ie. more rack space), and not having to think which disc goes in which player, BUT be prepared not to be able to play some of the newer movies RIGHT when they first come out.

PS. I was just at CES and of course there was no one there to comment as to when a FW update would be available.
post #126 of 141 Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepr View Post

Quote: Another addition, reported in the owners thread:

Planet Earth HD-DVD, problem using the scene selection.

I realize that's more of a "problem with a disc" rather than a "disc that will not play", but still, obviously a firmware issue, which could of course rear its head for other hd-dvd discs.

Not only can I not select chapters from the main menu (simply kicks in the opening menu sequence of photos and music) but it has frozen the player completely about 15 minutes into playing the disc (tried several different areas on the disc by jumping chapters using the ">>" button). I have to completely power off the player to get it unfrozen, can't even open the tray to abort the disc.
Are these same issues present with the blu-ray version?

Bob

Bob try using the "INFO" button, tyhat should bring up a chapter list and you should be able to skik chapters that way. I ahve tried this on disks like Sunshine and it seems that this one works when others do not.

The problem with the HD DVD version of Planet Earth (IMO) is with the way the menues are done. The "Play All" will work, but scene selection does not (menu just disapears, I had to get use the INFO button to restart the chapter). THis is just my opinoin though and may not be the actual problem. I believe there is someone on here who was able to watch the discs all the way through after pressing "play all".
post #127 of 141 Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
...and we have LIFTOFF! What a great morning it is ladies and gentlemen!

Firmware downloaded, processed and update completed!

It took a good 20 minutes for mine to download, then another 5 minutes for it to process. I've got 10MB service via Charter Cable (speed tests show an average download capacity of 8MB).

Good news! 3:10 to Yuma is now playing (or rather the trailer for RAMBO and Lords of War). No time to step through the movie, but this is highly encouraging!

Just put Resident Evil Extinction, and I am now watching the Blu-ray trailer!!!

I've already read that this '1.0' is not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Now I've got one BIG question for Samsung. ...'v1.0'?!?! are you FRAKKING KIDDING ME?!!

Come on Samsung, you don't release 'alpha' versions to the general populace! That is just asking for a backlash!

Mr. Engadget with the review product? Wakey wakey! Time to get to work!!!

P.S. Resident Evil 3 is now playing!!! Looking forward to reports on Sunshine and other titles that were not playing.

Keeping my BD-UP5000!

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #128 of 141 Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Garcia View Post

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit this, but my "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" HD DVD version won't play at all. *blushes*

It is one of those "combo formats" disc (which I initially laughed at).

The DVD side plays perfect which looks great with the 5000's upconversion.

But the only reason to watch such a silly popcorn movie is for a stellar HD experience. The DVD side is a bit lacking in that department.

Mia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Garcia View Post

Having problems with "Resident Evil: Extinction" as well.

"Play movie" accesses some sort of behind the scenes extra but the audio of the actual movie.

As of this moment, I'm unable to play the movie correctly to my dismay.

Mia

Update:

The latest Firmware (1.0) fixed both these movies for me.

Color me happy!!

Mia

"Who needs men when you have high definition?" - Monica (friend)
post #129 of 141 Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

Looking forward to reports on Sunshine

"Sunshine" up and running!!

*Mia's stamp of approval*

Mia

Edit:

Well... *shakes her white-out bottle*

I'm afraid I need to remove my stamp of approval.

I got greedy and attempted to watch chapter 2.

The 5000 was not pleased.

Completely frozen. Power off and on "fixes" the problem until 4:46 is again reached in chapter 2.

So I thought to myself, "Moving on, how important could chapter 2 be anyways..." and advanced to chapter 3. Was smooth sailing until 12:46 when it froze again.

Very well could possibly be a disc error. I'm not ruling that out.

In any case, moving on... how important could chapter 3 be anyways?...

Mia

"Who needs men when you have high definition?" - Monica (friend)
post #130 of 141 Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM

Die hard bluray movies still don't work with new firmware 1.0
post #131 of 141 Old 01-17-2008, 11:20 PM

Watched about 3 minutes of sunshine in bitstream audio... then the audio started to shutter. reset to pcm and watched again. did have sound thru out the movie but had static here and there. There still is and audio problem. Started watching the web extras and after the 4th one total lost of all audio. Had to turn off the player then back on. Watched them all after skipping the first four no problem. went back to the first four and watch them. I think it was the 3 or 4th one started getting pixels through out the video. Not sure want caused the lose of PCM audio.

oh by the way it was after the firmware update 1.0
post #132 of 141 Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Hey guys, no offense to the OP but we have another thread here by user Eurotrance that is being regularly updated with the latest corroborated findings on all problematic discs, making the present one a bit redundant not to mention outdated: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=958595

It might be a good idea to move over to that thread for all playback problems and/or for the mods to merge this thread into that one.
post #133 of 141 Old 01-18-2008, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys, no offense to the OP but we have another thread here by user Eurotrance that is being regularly updated with the latest corroborated findings on all problematic discs, making the present one a bit redundant: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=958595

It might be a good idea to move over to that thread for all playback problems and/or for the mods to merge this thread into that one.

I totally agree with you here, while I can see the point of both of them (1 id for discs that wont play, the other is for discs that it has issues with) it seems that we are getting similar posts in both threads.
post #134 of 141 Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yup, not to mention Ed may have no reason to update this thread anymore. His last post on the topic (2 weeks ago): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12690890

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

Mines going back tomorrow.
-won't play fox titles.
-crushes blacks.
-audio static over analog outs.

hope I just got a bad unit.

post #135 of 141 Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Bourne Ultimatum combo solution

I just had problems w/ a Netflix copy of this disc. Tried 3 times, and received "can't read disc" message before the 5k spit it out. The disc does have some tiny scratches on the HD-DVD side. I tried the DVD side - no worries.

Then I went to the setup menu, and changed the "Dual Layer Disc" setting (or whatever it's called). It was set to HD-DVD, so I changed it to DVD. The disc now plays with no problems!

I'm guessing those that haven't had problems already had it set correctly.

Regards,
Doug

EDIT: I'm not sure I found the solution now. I put it in last night for the family to watch, and it wouldn't load. I powered off/on, ejected, and checked the Dual Format Disc setting - it was still at DVD as I last set it. I changed it to HD-DVD then back to DVD, inserted the disc, and the movie loaded and played flawlessly to the end.

Now I'm thinking that setting didn't affect it, but it's another disc where multiple loads will convince the 5k to play it.
post #136 of 141 Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 PM

I am hoping it is a bad disk from netflix, but I got about 46m into Mr. Brooks tonight and it just started getting jumpy etc. I tried stopping and restarting, skipping to a new chapter, powering off and then unplugging with no luck. I cannot get to any chapter past 16, even if selected from the main menu. I have seen that others have played this without any problems, so I am really hoping a different disk will play. The surface of the disk looked fine with no fingerprints or smudges.

Just wanted to put this on the thread in case others had this problem too, but haven't spoken out yet.
post #137 of 141 Old 05-14-2008, 03:34 AM

Has anyone figured out how to use the Resume-Play function?

Does it work the same when watching Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?

PS: Just rented and watched 3:10 to Yuma, this has to have
been the best sounding movie I've watched to date on my 5000!

The first movie that I could actually hear destinct sound
coming from each of my 7.1 rear speakers. And my Yamaha
receiver came-up with some long Dolby decode messages I've
never seen before. Excellent!
post #138 of 141 Old 05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1 View Post

Do you mean the pause button or the stop button.On my 5000 if I hit stop and then play-it starts from the beginning again.So if I want to go cook or whatever,I only hit the pause button and turn the screen off.Then come back and hit play .
post #139 of 141 Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1 View Post

There is no such thing as resume play for HD DVDs, you would have to set a bookmark in order to resumewhere you left off. I believe for the Blu-rays you have to use the "Resume" button in order to use that feature.. Remember though not every disc has this feature so it may not always be available....
post #140 of 141 Old 05-14-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Bourne Ultimatum combo solution

I just had problems w/ a Netflix copy of this disc. Tried 3 times, and received "can't read disc" message before the 5k spit it out. The disc does have some tiny scratches on the HD-DVD side. I tried the DVD side - no worries.

Then I went to the setup menu, and changed the "Dual Layer Disc" setting (or whatever it's called). It was set to HD-DVD, so I changed it to DVD. The disc now plays with no problems!

I'm guessing those that haven't had problems already had it set correctly.

Regards,
Doug

EDIT: I'm not sure I found the solution now. I put it in last night for the family to watch, and it wouldn't load. I powered off/on, ejected, and checked the Dual Format Disc setting - it was still at DVD as I last set it. I changed it to HD-DVD then back to DVD, inserted the disc, and the movie loaded and played flawlessly to the end.

Now I'm thinking that setting didn't affect it, but it's another disc where multiple loads will convince the 5k to play it.

I actually oown this disc and never had anissue with it, so it may be the disc itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortifer View Post

I am hoping it is a bad disk from netflix, but I got about 46m into Mr. Brooks tonight and it just started getting jumpy etc. I tried stopping and restarting, skipping to a new chapter, powering off and then unplugging with no luck. I cannot get to any chapter past 16, even if selected from the main menu. I have seen that others have played this without any problems, so I am really hoping a different disk will play. The surface of the disk looked fine with no fingerprints or smudges.

Just wanted to put this on the thread in case others had this problem too, but haven't spoken out yet.

Just like above I won this disc and it had played flawlessly for me since the beginning.....

I think the problem may be with Netflix as many usershave had issues with more than a few discs from them....
post #141 of 141 Old 05-17-2008, 09:54 AM

I wasn't able to watch 3:10 to Yuma because I'm running the original FW. However, I was able to watch 27 Dresses and it's also a Fox BR movie. What's up with that?
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page