Discs that the BD-UP5000 has problems with - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 664 Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does it really surprise anyone we don't get a firmware update ? That 01/12 date always seemed weird to me since it falls on a weekend.

We're now at 10 discs confirmed to have issues on this machine, which is most likely only the tip of the iceberg... Maybe Samsung should move their behind and get to it.

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 664 Old 01-12-2008, 03:12 PM

Liked: 13
On the Star Trek TV Series boxed set (HD DVD), the 2nd episode on disc #1 won't play. The episode is called "Where no man has gone before."

When the episode starts playing, it locks up the BD-UP5000 after a second or two. It takes a power-cycle to clear the problem.

Several users on the 5000 Owners thread have also reported problems with this episode.

Scott

Update: the January firmware update does NOT fix this problem.
post #93 of 664 Old 01-12-2008, 05:24 PM

Liked: 10
POTC AWE question. What problem are you having with the menu? My problem is I simply can't read any of the options as they are too dark to read. If I get up close to my 65 DLP I can make out the menus. The letters are fine it is just they are not readable from a distance. Is this a problem with the 5000 or did Disney screw it up with how they designed it?

Thanks
post #94 of 664 Old 01-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Hi My BD5000 start locking up on all DVD blue ray or HD,and Cd I had to send it to CVE Samsung repair center. I could have sent it back to Best Buy Buisness but I thought they I would have to wait if they did not have any in stock. But every DVD I put in locked up at the start and thereafter it was like you paused it i could see the picture but could not advance it no matter what you did ? And it was making alot of noise like you can here the motor ? We will see if they can fix it they just got it on 1-11-08
post #95 of 664 Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post

On the Star Trek TV Series boxed set (HD DVD), the 2nd episode on disc #1 won't play. The episode is called "Where no man has gone before."

When the episode starts playing, it locks up the BD-UP5000 after a second or two. It takes a power-cycle to clear the problem.

Several users on the 5000 Owners thread have also reported problems with this episode.

Scott

Fab. With none of my other HD DVDs playing either, it's just one more nail in the coffin.

Once I try Top Gun later, I'll stick my copy of that disc into my 5K and see what it does.

Isn't life wonderful......

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #96 of 664 Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post

Scott

Scott, confirmed. Episode would not play on my 5K either. I got less than a second of audio, then nothing. The unit shows loading and zip else.

Interestingly, the open/close button would show on the unit, but the disc was not ejected. Power off time.....

One thing else that puzzled me was that the disc jumped straight to episode 6. I had to go back for ep 2, which it brought up next. Odd.

One good thing is that my KDF-60XS955 does not appear to suffer from the blue blooming. Small mercy I know.

Seggers.

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #97 of 664 Old 01-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

I tried "The Kingdom" HDDVD again, and here are some more issues that I did not report before:

Several times during the movie the HDDVD's red time-line flashed at the bottom of the screen (this was the DISC's timeline, NOT the 5000's time-line that shows up at the top of the screen.) This seemed to happen a little while (maybe 15 to 30 seconds) after I had paused or rewound the film a bit and then started playing it again.

- During the "making of" featurettes (the ones that play one after another after selecting "Play All"), they would sometimes take a LONG time to advance from one to the next. Some of this immediately started playing the next one when the previous one finished, but others would take over 30 seconds for the next one to start. The player would display the non-advancing time, then after 30 or 40 seconds it would advance ONE second, then it would start playing again after a short pause. It would have been easy to assume that the player had locked up at this point.

Note to the people reporting lockups -- I've seen it take the player up to around a full minute to respond in certain situations, and then it suddenly starts working again.

Larry
post #98 of 664 Old 01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmizar View Post

Pixar Shorts - Right after the FBI warning screen the movie just goes blank and does not go to the menu.

Just to report my experience with this disc, I played the BD Pixar Shorts without any problems.

Larry
post #99 of 664 Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Fab. With none of my other HD DVDs playing either, it's just one more nail in the coffin.

Once I try Top Gun later, I'll stick my copy of that disc into my 5K and see what it does.

Isn't life wonderful......

seggers I just wanted to confirm that there is a "glitch" with Clerks 2 at the 1:04:4X mark (cant remeber exactly. I didnt get any lag at all, but the screen did go black for a second, then started playing the next scene right away, I confirmed this by rewinding (went black again), and played it back with the same "glitch". The disc itself played fine though besides that one little thing.

I watched FFROTS today all the way through with no issues, I also watched Oceans 13 HD DVD without any issues.
post #100 of 664 Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

I tried "The Kingdom" HDDVD again, and here are some more issues that I did not report before:

Several times during the movie the HDDVD's red time-line flashed at the bottom of the screen (this was the DISC's timeline, NOT the 5000's time-line that shows up at the top of the screen.) This seemed to happen a little while (maybe 15 to 30 seconds) after I had paused or rewound the film a bit and then started playing it again.

I know this "timeline" used to be the players marker for HD DVDs. The add on for the 360 used the same one, if you paused\\FF\\RW the movies it would show up. I cant remember how long it would stay though once the operation was done.

I think the best thing people can do is just call Samsung and get these issues down with them. If you dont call they may never hear about them.

I dont know if you want to move the Sunshine Movie, I was able to get picture on that one, but it seemed to be playhing the PiP feature and the main movie at the same time which was "mucking" everything up. I was also getting both audio streams at the same time. The video did stutter and freeze, but I was able to move around by pressing FF or INFO. I wasnt able to get the PiP removed off the screen so I didnt want to watch the movie even after I had it playing.
post #101 of 664 Old 01-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Eurotrance, can you mention navigation problems with Ratatouille (unable to return to the menu during playback of the feature) and subtitles not being functional?
post #102 of 664 Old 01-14-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

seggers I just wanted to confirm that there is a "glitch" with Clerks 2 at the 1:04:4X mark (cant remeber exactly. I didnt get any lag at all, but the screen did go black for a second, then started playing the next scene right away, I confirmed this by rewinding (went black again), and played it back with the same "glitch". The disc itself played fine though besides that one little thing.

I watched FFROTS today all the way through with no issues, I also watched Oceans 13 HD DVD without any issues.

Ph8te, cheers. Top Gun also went burp. I have passed along my Clerks II disc to another 5K owner to see if he sees it.

I think I'll be calling the big bad Circuit City tonight about an exchange unit....

Seggers

PS, what film is FFROTS? I've never heard of it.

post #103 of 664 Old 01-14-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

PS, what film is FFROTS? I've never heard of it.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer?
post #104 of 664 Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer?

You are correct, I also watched Spiderman without a hitch today.
post #105 of 664 Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
BTW, for what it is worth, In addition to the 5000, I have an HTPC with dual format drive and that will also not play "3:10 to Yuma" even with the latest player (PowerDVD Ultra) software version. It does get a bit further, past the previews, but it does not allow one to select "Play Movie" from the main menu.

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #106 of 664 Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 PM

I cannot believe 3:10 to Yuma does not work. I have been so excited for this movie to come out as it was my favorite this year and it just hangs at the turning gears.

Samsung better get their act together ASAP or this sucker is going on eBay.
post #107 of 664 Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyris View Post

These are my experiences with the 5000 and a variety of HD-DVD and BR discs.

With my my brief testing the Universal HD-DVD discs have been the most reliable. They've also had the fewest special features to play around with. I have some more discs of each format from other studios arriving in the coming days, and I'll report on those then.

Here's some more info on the other discs I tried:

Pixar Shorts Vol. 1 (BR - Disney Pixar)
Worked fine for me. I watched three of the shorts, and all of the Sesame Street specials, and saw (nor heard) any problems. Navigation worked ok too.

Simpson's Movie (BR - Fox)
Worked fine apart from one un-repeatable spot of motorboating.

Since then I have returned the 5K and opted for a PS3 instead. This decision was based on a number of factors, including:
  • the 5K's playback problems with a large number of discs
  • WB's decision to switch to Blu-Ray (which, in my personal opinion, effectively signals the demise of HD-DVD)
  • the fact that few of the movies I really wanted were only available in HD-DVD
  • that I have relatively little invested in this format thus making the transition less painful
  • the limited upgrade path of the 5K (although this also applies to any stand-alone disc player)

Without wishing to start a flame war I must say I'm very impressed with the PS3 as a Blu-Ray and DVD player (no problems with any discs so far), even with the irritating Bluetooth-only remote. I'm less impressed with it as a games machine, but I have a 360 for that.

~Ky
post #108 of 664 Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmizar View Post

I cannot believe 3:10 to Yuma does not work. I have been so excited for this movie to come out as it was my favorite this year and it just hangs at the turning gears.

Samsung better get their act together ASAP or this sucker is going on eBay.

Is it Samsung's fault, or is it Lion Gate's? After all, Lion Gate should be testing their code before they release the disc. If they only test it against the PS3 and a few other players, whose fault is it when it doesn't play? After all , they're the one's choosing to go hog wild on BD+ and BD-J, neither of which seems to have a standard installation yet.

I think someone ought to be asking these billion dollar companies why they cannot adequately test their stuff. Maybe the BDA wants their logo to mean something, because right now it means "maybe."
post #109 of 664 Old 01-16-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post

Is it Samsung's fault, or is it Lion Gate's? After all, Lion Gate should be testing their code before they release the disc. If they only test it against the PS3 and a few other players, whose fault is it when it doesn't play? After all , they're the one's choosing to go hog wild on BD+ and BD-J, neither of which seems to have a standard installation yet.

I think someone ought to be asking these billion dollar companies why they cannot adequately test their stuff. Maybe the BDA wants their logo to mean something, because right now it means "maybe."

This problem is far from being UP5000 exclusive. I think keeping most profile 1.0 stand-alone players is going to give their owners a long stream of headaches : between the 2 to 3 minutes loading times on heavy BD-J titles, which will become more prevalent as time goes on, the revisions to BD+, and the implementation of profile 1.1 and then 2.0 features on titles, I hope for their sake that they're either very patient or make decent money to afford a new player every time the BDA says "jump!".

It's unfortunate the market was decided by PS3 owners, but that's the sad reality : the PS3 would be the only BR player I'd recommend to anybody that wants BR. Sony is laughing all the way to the bank with that one.

post #110 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 03:11 AM

Agree with everything you said, Euro.

I have some quick discoveries to report! Firmware version 1.0 makes Pan's Labyrinth playable, so that is good news. Ratatouille brings both good and bad news. The negative: The angle icon still appears with screen msgs enabled and I had some audio motorboating when trying to watch the film (fixed by a quick rewind/forward). Positives: Subtitles were functional and the player did not became unresponsive to remote commands (I was able to return to the disc menu during movie playback). That video setup screen even loaded but the right arrow failed to navigate through the subsequent instruction screens (disc menu got me out of there fortunately).

This sounds like it will be a long, arduous process for Java-related Blu-Ray fixes especially.
post #111 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Agree with everything you said, Euro.

I have some quick discoveries to report! Firmware version 1.0 makes Pan's Labyrinth playable, so that is good news. Ratatouille brings both good and bad news. The negative: The angle icon still appears with screen msgs enabled and I had some audio motorboating when trying to watch the film (fixed by a quick rewind/forward). Positives: Subtitles were functional and the player did not became unresponsive to remote commands (I was able to return to the disc menu during movie playback). That video setup screen even loaded but the right arrow failed to navigate through the subsequent instruction screens (disc menu got me out of there fortunately).

This sounds like it will be a long, arduous process for Java-related Blu-Ray fixes especially.

Thanks for the update on Ver1.0.

Has anybody reported the Ratatouille issue to Samsung? It seems like the only way to get them to actually take note of specific issues is to barrage them with complaints, so everybody who has seen this problem should take the time to tell Samsung about it. I plan to do so as soon as I actually confirm that I see it on my unit. I have a feeling that some of these "smaller" issues (i.e. anything that doesn't make a disc completely un-watchable) will require a concerted effort to get Samsung to address it.

Thanks,

Larry
post #112 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update vinnie . When I get home Ill try Sunshine to see if it fixes the issue with that disc. I dont have many other "problem" discs to test though...People might want to try it on 3:10 to Yuma as this was a "big" issue.
post #113 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 AM

You're probably right, Larry...I hadn't contacted them about anything yet. Contacting them on the above remaining issues and inundating them with said complaints would indeed be a good idea. I couldn't test for audio dropouts this late in the evening (the garbled, modulated distortion aka "motorboating" was very evident, however...and still easily correctable). I think Broadcom might be responsible to a significant degree for the audio maladies we've witnessed, so I hope they're diligent in getting the software out by May as reported. I wish I had more problem discs to check...but I'm sure the others will get around to it later.

Anxious to hear your results, Ph8te!
post #114 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

i don't have all the discs that were reported as problematic and of the ones that i do have i didn't necessarily have the problems that others had (e.g., my POTC played fine from the very start and the menus were just as they appear on the PS3 and the Panny BD30)...

are people in the position to u/g to the new firmware and verify whether the currently reported discs have been fixed?

my player is still updating...over 13 min and the progress bar says 54%
post #115 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Update completed!

It took a good 20 minutes for mine to download, then another 5 minutes for it to process. I've got 10MB service via Charter Cable (speed tests show an average download capacity of 8MB).

Good news! 3:10 to Yuma is now playing! ...or rather the trailer for "RAMBO".

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #116 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
...and we have LIFTOFF! What a great morning it is ladies and gentlemen!

Update completed!

It took a good 20 minutes for mine to download, then another 5 minutes for it to process. I've got 10MB service via Charter Cable (speed tests show an average download capacity of 8MB).

Good news! 3:10 to Yuma is now playing (or rather the trailer for RAMBO and Lords of War). No time to step through the movie, but this is highly encouraging!

Just put Resident Evil Extinction, and I am now watching the Blu-ray trailer!!!

I've already read that this '1.0' is not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Now I've got one BIG question for Samsung. ...'v1.0'?!?! are you FRAKKING KIDDING ME?!!

Come on Samsung, you don't release 'alpha' versions to the general populace! That is just asking for a backlash!

Mr. Engadget with the review product? Wakey wakey! Time to get to work!!!

P.S. Resident Evil 3 is now playing!!! Looking forward to reports on Sunshine and other titles that were not playing.

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #117 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

BD "Devil Wears Prada": After the film finished and returned to the main menu, none of the actual menu items (red text saying "Play," "Scenes," etc.) showed up. The white stripe that these display over was blank, and the scene-loop just kept playing. I had to hit "stop" and re-select the menu for the text to once again display.

Note that this was with the previous (NOT the new Ver1.0) firmware.

Larry
post #118 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Sunshine issues have been fixed with the new firmware....The player though still hiccups with the CLerks II HD DVD at the 1:44:44-45 mark.....
post #119 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it appears the new firmware is fixing most issues reported in my 1st post. That definitely looks good for the future and I'm now confident Samsung will make it right for every UP5000 owner.

Can people who reported on Star Trek TOS and Sopranos issues try them with the new firmware ? Also, lalittle, can you try that BD "Devil wears Prada" with the new firmware ?

As for people who reported issues with Fox BD+ titles, can you guys try them now with the new firmware ?

post #120 of 664 Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

Also, lalittle, can you try that BD "Devil wears Prada" with the new firmware ?

Unfortunately, it was already sent back to Netflix by the time the firmware came out.

Larry
Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page