Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 664 Old 12-20-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is a thread that will list all discs reported as having a problem with the new Samsung BD-UP5000. I'll update this 1st post as we go :

UPDATE (03/31/07) : For 24fps related issues, see http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dg6dggdj_15dmw8bqcq

Issues remaining after firmware 1.2, released 03/10/08 :

01) NEW ISSUE : older Universal titles (The thing, The mummy, ...) don't display menu items
02) Sunshine (BR) : various playback issues, playing movie only with no FF/RW or pause works
03) Les gendarmes de St Tropez (french HD DVD) : none of the 4 discs go past the M6 logo
04) Spiderman 3 (BR) : "jumpy" menu behavior, making selections difficult
05) Lost Season 3 (BR) : "jumpy" menu behavior, making selections difficult
06) Cars (BR) : "jumpy" menu behavior, making selections difficult
07) Beowulf (HD DVD) : initial "loading" can take up to 2 minutes, black screen during that phase

Issues remaining after firmware 1.0, released 01/16/08 :

01) Ratatouille (BR) : angle icon randomly through movie (turning OSD off removes angle icon indications) / audio glitches (FIXED)
02) 3:10 to Yuma (BR) : pop-menu not usable in 24 fps
03) Resident Evil - Extinction (BR) : Blu-wizard feature not working (FIXED)
04) The Kingdom (HD DVD) : IME (U-control) features not working properly (FIXED)
05) Sunshine (BR) : various playback issues, playing movie only with no FF/RW or pause works
06) Star Trek TOS (HD DVD) : 5 episodes don't play, locks up unit, power needs to be unplugged (FIXED)
07) Mr Woodcock (BR) : doesn't play at all, goes into "slide show" on front display (FIXED)
08) Babysitters (XXX title / HD DVD) : doesn't play at all, locks up after warnings (FIXED)

Issues reported before firmware 1.0 :

01) Planet Earth (HD DVD) : selecting chapters in the menu will not do anything and menu is locked until next menu loop (FIXED)
02) POTC - At world's end (BR) : menu displayed improperly, making selections difficult (FIXED)/ can't display subtitles (FIXED)
03) Pixar Shorts (BR) : Right after the FBI warning screen the movie just goes blank and does not go to the menu (FIXED)
04) Ratatouille (BR) : angle icon randomly through movie / audio glitches / no subtitles (FIXED)/ can't go back to menu (FIXED)
05) Soprano's Season 6, Part II (HD DVD) : menu is locked, unable to select episodes
06) Pan's labyrinth (HD DVD) : doesn't play at all (FIXED)
07) 3:10 to Yuma (BR) : doesn't play at all (FIXED) / pop-menu not usable
08) Resident Evil - Extinction (BR) : only PiP plays, can't watch the movie (FIXED) / Blu-wizard feature not working
09) The Kingdom (HD DVD) : IME (U-control) features not working properly
10) Sunshine (BR) : only PiP plays, can't watch the movie (FIXED) / new issue : only plays about 4 minutes
11) Star Trek TOS (HD DVD) : 5 episodes don't play, locks up unit, power needs to be unplugged
12) Mr Woodcock (BR) : doesn't play at all, goes into "slide show" on front display
13) Babysitters (XXX title / HD DVD) : doesn't play at all, locks up after warnings

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 664 Old 12-21-2007, 07:55 PM

Liked: 10
Pixar Shorts - Right after the FBI warning screen the movie just goes blank and does not go to the menu.
post #3 of 664 Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 PM

Please note that problems are not always specific to every BD-UP5000. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be a pattern amongst player build dates. Needless to say, it is unknown why some players have problems and others do not. That said, unless there are more than a few reports of a particular issue all problems will be categorized as "only some players affected".

All problems below were reported with Firmware 071108.02_XXXX_0924.11_XAA

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (BR) The talking skull in the menu makes the text unreadable.
Planet Earth (HDDVD) Disc plays, but the scene selection has problems. You are only able to select "Play All". When choosing a chapter nothing happens.
Transformers (HDDVD) On disc start up, "Web Enabled Update" never finishes. Note, this problem only comes up if you have previously been connected to a network, but the network no longer has internet access. It's as if the timeout never occurs, or is set for too long.
Die Hard (BR) Will not play
Live Free or Die Hard (BR) Will not play
Mr and Mrs Smith (BR) Will not play
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer (BR) Will not play
Close Encounters of the Third Kind Director's Cut (BR) The movie freezes at around time-stamp "14:33". Pressing "play/pause" twice unfreezes the movie and playback continues. This issue only seems to come up when starting the movie from the beginning.
Smokin' Aces (HDDVD) Disc plays, but exhibits studdering and skipping behavior, almost as if video and audio are paused. Only happens a few times throughout the movie.

NOTE, BD+ Blu-ray discs will play on the majority of players.
post #4 of 664 Old 12-21-2007, 10:31 PM

OK, updated with as many as I could find. Let me know if you know of anymore.

Also, I realize that is difficult to read, but once he puts it in the FAQ wiki it will make a lot more sense This way he can just copy and paste.
post #5 of 664 Old 12-21-2007, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

===== Die Hard =====
Will not play

===== Live Free or Die Hard =====
Will not play

===== Mr and Mrs Smith =====
Will not play

===== Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer =====
Will not play

Well that's an easy one, it does not work with BD+ right now.

Actually, I'd mark that as a PRO rather than a CON.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #6 of 664 Old 12-22-2007, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Actually, I'd mark that as a PRO rather than a CON.

Amen.
post #7 of 664 Old 12-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

I had some odd glitches with "Ocean's 13" HD-DVD last night.

When I would search a bit, it would sometimes take quite a while for the unit to respond when I pressed play again -- perhaps 20 to 30 seconds. It was enough to make me think it had locked up, but it seemed to eventually recover. When it started playing again, it would sometimes play with little "jumps" in the video every second or so. This was particularly noticeable during the end credit roll, where these little jumps in movement were quite obvious with the constant scroll speed. They seemed to happen at very regular intervals -- about once a second or faster. If I let it play long enough (maybe a minute), the jumping would stop and the motion would be smooth again. This effect was much less noticeable during the film, but I still noticed it happen here and there.

I'm not sure if it only happened when I searched or paused a bit, but I think it may have been directly related to this.

All in all, this DVD seemed much rougher around the edges compared to the other titles I've tried. as well as the above issues, there was no separate menu screen -- you just had to pause the video and bring up the "while playing" menu. The subtitles were a pain to turn on and off -- it appeared that you could only really control this via the disc's menu. The lack of automatic bookmarking/resuming was downright stupid. Is this a limitation of HD-DVD's? All the BD titles I've tried automatically start up at the last position.

Larry
post #8 of 664 Old 12-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

I had three audio/video glitches with The Simpsons Blu-Ray. Two of them are completely repeatable and happen every time I play these spots, while the other one did it once and did not repeat when I played the section again. I was listening to the DTS track over optical on a Lexicon DC1, so I was only hearing the core DTS track and not the full MA track.

Here are the details:

1) Chapter 3, 5:03 during the minister's speech. Audio dropout and VERY slight video glitch (the video glitch was BARELY noticeable.) This happens EVERY time I play this spot.

2) Sometime during the dome coming down -- didn't repeat on subsequent viewings so I'm not sure of the exact time.

3) Chapter 17, 56:17 after heart-shaped ice breaks. Again, audio dropout and VERY slight video glitch that is almost unnoticeable.

Larry
post #9 of 664 Old 12-24-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomb View Post

Note, this is in wiki format so SileasResearch can add it to the wiki. I'm gonna pm him with a link to this thread and I'll update it here so he can copy and paste.

Bluray, HD-DVD, and DVD disc problems

Below you'll find a list of discs that have been reported as having problems with the Samsung BD-UP5000. All reports were taken from the "Dual Format Players Forum" at avsforum.com

Please note that problems are not always specific to every BD-UP5000. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be a pattern amongst player build dates. Needless to say, it is unknown why some players have problems and others do not. That said, unless there are more than a few reports of a particular issue all problems will be categorized as "only some players affected".

== Firmware 071108.02_XXXX_0924.11_XAA ==

=== Only some players affected ===

==== Bluray ====

===== Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer =====
Will not play

Just wanted to report that today I bought the Bluray Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer DVD and it is started up and is playing just fine with my Samsung BD-UP5000. Picture and sound are fantastic and I am only viewing it at 1080i.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #10 of 664 Old 12-24-2007, 03:58 PM

anybody had a problem with their 300 hd dvd/combo? displays the movie in 60 fps instead of at 24fs. the feature is on and it works fine on my other hd dvd discs, my set is a samsung hl-t xx89s.
post #11 of 664 Old 12-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Liked: 13
Tried watching Soprano's Season 6, Part II on HD-DVD. The disc loads and will get you to the main menu, but it won't let you select "Episodes" or "Language" which look to be the only options. I tried the 1st and 2nd disc and both gave the same results.
post #12 of 664 Old 12-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Why does Amazon say that this unit will be released in Feb 2008?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VDG0UK?...0&linkCode=asn

Do all of the dual format players have problems? Which one has the least issues and where can I get it?
post #13 of 664 Old 12-26-2007, 09:37 AM

I have watched Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer and 28 Weeks later, both Fox titles, flawlessly on the 5000. I am connected to a Denon 4308 feeding a Sony SXRD via 1080p.
post #14 of 664 Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 AM

I tried two copies of American Psycho (BD), and both played okay initially. The first disc made it through the movie, then hung when I went back to see the deleted scenes. The second disc made it through about half the deleted scenes before hanging. Reloading, cycling power, and swapping discs made no difference. Once the disc stopped working, that was it for that disc. Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer (BD) would not play at all for me. I have the November build, and have not connected it to the internet yet. I'm debating whether or not I should hold out for a firmware release to fix the problems.
post #15 of 664 Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM

Just got my blue ray Live Free or Die Hard, it played on my 5000 without problems! All navigation commands work.
post #16 of 664 Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 PM

Liked: 12
Mine will not play 28 Weeks Later on Blu-ray Disc.
post #17 of 664 Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Mine will not play 28 Weeks Later on Blu-ray Disc.

Mine played without error.
post #18 of 664 Old 12-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post

I have watched Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer and 28 Weeks later, both Fox titles, flawlessly on the 5000. I am connected to a Denon 4308 feeding a Sony SXRD via 1080p.

I also have watched Fantastic 4 ,cars ,live free die hard.I have a Denon 4806 and Sony 40 xbr3. All works well. Its sansung 5000

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #19 of 664 Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozog View Post

Mine played without error.

So what am I doing wrong? It played the movie "300" on HD DVD but not "28 Weeks Later" on Blu-ray Disc.

Unless it is user error, I'm returning the player tonight.
post #20 of 664 Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For people who can't play Fox BD+ titles, what is your manufacturing date ? It is very strange that some UP5000 can play them and some don't, even though they all have the same firmware version.

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #21 of 664 Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what am I doing wrong? It played the movie "300" on HD DVD but not "28 Weeks Later" on Blu-ray Disc.

Unless it is user error, I'm returning the player tonight.

what is your setup, including everything in the HDMI chain as well as your network (i would even specify how your home network is configured to the point of debarking your home).

what your player's settings; do you have CEC (Anynet on/off?)
post #22 of 664 Old 12-28-2007, 11:48 AM

I'm not @ home so I can't verify, but as I remember everything is basically still @ the default settings & the only changes I made was to set the clock and enable 24fps. The player is connected directly to an HDMI input of the PDP so I have not enabled the Anynet+ feature.
post #23 of 664 Old 12-28-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not @ home so I can't verify, but as I remember everything is basically still @ the default settings & the only changes I made was to set the clock and enable 24fps. The player is connected directly to an HDMI input of the PDP so I have not enabled the Anynet+ feature.

what is your network configuration, are you actually connected to the internet?

by default, cec is on i believe...
post #24 of 664 Old 12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Pan's Labyrinth HD-DVD will not play. Its the only disc so far that would not play on my player.

Live Free or Die Hard and Die Hard on bluray played fine on mine.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -
Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
post #25 of 664 Old 12-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post

Pan's Labyrinth HD-DVD will not play. Its the only disc so far that would not play on my player.

Live Free or Die Hard and Die Hard on bluray played fine on mine.

I have the same with Pan s Labyrinth will not play. So far thats the only one

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #26 of 664 Old 12-29-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGEL 35 View Post

I have the same with Pan s Labyrinth will not play. So far thats the only one

If my memory serves me correctly, New Line JUST started releasing on hd-dvd. So, it could be that Samsung did not have a test disc from them. Anyone else try another New Line disc? They might be doing something on their discs differently. To me, it looks like a problem with the internet connection check. Im not sure though.'

I do not have another New Line hd-dvd disc or I would check.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -
Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
post #27 of 664 Old 12-29-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

i had some abhorrent playback of Underdog...

started player, inserted Underdog, previews started playing...i kept hitting chapter skip to get past the previews (annoying when it is authored like this!!), finally get to the last preview and suddenly all garbage is on the screen as if the resolution was something the tv couldn't handle, with this garbage on the screen, the Underdog "u" popped up spinning, then the menus appeared and garbage went away...i thought...strange

during playback i tried bringing up the menus and once again, all garbage on the screen except the little windo in the upper right that had the video playing...exiting the menus and now the video was in a window, smaller than the full picture, in the upper left...

at this point, since the screen wouldn't go back to normal, even after entering/exiting the menu screen again, i decided to hit stop (hey, now i'll be able to see if this title is authored to resume...)...

now i have a very nice screen telling me that this disc cannot be played because of the region setting of the player (i probably would have never seen such a screen since i don't now, nor probably never will, own discs outside of my own region).

so i eject the disc...close the drawer, it starts up like it did previously, only minus any of the previous garbage screens

i chapter skip until the disc menu pops up, go to the chapter we were at and then start playing...i decide to see what happens if i call the menus while playing again and this time it works fine...

strange but now seems to be playing fine...
post #28 of 664 Old 12-29-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

the other day when i popped bourne ultimatum in, initially the player spit it out and said it couldn't play it...i reinserted it and it played fine

at some later point i inserted the bourne ultimatum disc in and it spit it out ... ejected, reinserted and played fine...
post #29 of 664 Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 108
So is the list of movies that play without issues longer than this one?

They better get a few firmware fixes out quickly...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #30 of 664 Old 12-30-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

So is the list of movies that play without issues longer than this one?

They better get a few firmware fixes out quickly...

i was just reading that the pio 95 bd player requires a f/w upgrade to play underdog and that just about every new title coming out, particularly disney titles, *seem* to require f/w upgrades to play...

seems like a major BD-J issue...

this IS NOT a samsung 5K issue in isolation from other bd players, whether they be single format or dual format...

this is truly a great machine...imo, and this is from someone who owns a ps3 since launch as well as xa1 and xa2 (since their respective launches)...
Closed Thread Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page