Why Do People Keep buying the BD-UP5000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading all the negative reviews about this player, my question is, "Why are folks still buying a unit that doesn't play alot of discs, has big audio issues, Has grainy PQ, and doesn't bitstream the advanced audio codecs?< (I may have left a few problems out)...For Christ sake!...The unit doesn't do what it was supposed to do!...The unit is a piece of JUNK!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan View Post

After reading all the negative reviews about this player, my question is, "Why are folks still buying a unit that doesn't play alot of discs, has big audio issues, Has grainy PQ, and doesn't bitstream the advanced audio codecs?< (I may have left a few problems out)...For Christ sake!...The unit doesn't do what it was supposed to do!...The unit is a piece of JUNK!.

Because before I bought it I had an oppo upconverting DVD, an Xbox 360 HD-DVD and an inability to play Blu-Ray. Now I am sitting here watching Fifth Element with the best video quality I have ever seen it at. For me it works great and it has the promise of having the few non-working audio features enabled in the future and the simplicity of a single player for all 5" optical disc formats currently available.

The better question is why do you (and others) feel the need to keep posting items like this. Do you go to other sections and tell people that equipment you don't own and have no experience with stinks?

Hoyty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

1. So far I havent seen people ahve that many problems I think I have seen maybe 3 discs people have had issues with. That is not what I consider a lot of discs.

2. As far as bitstreaming goes, as far as I know that was ALWAYS promissed as a feature that would be added later on via a firmware update.

3. As far as the "grainy" PQ there are mixed reports and so far everyone has NOT had the same experience.

So far this player is doing what Samsung has always said it would do when it came out. People were hoping that it would implement other features, but nothing was promised. What I dont understand is that there are so many people bashing this player who dont even own it. If you dont like it fine move on there is no need to harp on others for their purchases. For some people this player is an upgrade, for others this is an intro to Blu-ray. For me personally I am getting this player to get rid of my add-on and so that I can enjoy movies from both sides of the fence. I mean really if you are no longer interested in the player then why post about it? If people whant to buy it whos to stop them its their money.
post #4 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 PM

Yeah. Why would anyone buy the 5000. It totally sucks! Read what everyone has said about it! It's a total piece of sh-t!

Oh... I forgot. I actually have one.

And I like it.

Carry on........
post #5 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:

What negative reviews? The vast majority of owners I've heard from are happy with it. The majority of wholly negative feedback I've seen is concerning features that those people knew weren't going to be there (DTS-HD MA for example) yet are complaining about anyways. Also, very few, if any, of the wholly negative reviews I've seen were from people who ACTUALLY OWN the player.
post #6 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post

What negative reviews? The vast majority of owners I've heard from are happy with it. The majority of wholly negative feedback I've seen is concerning features that those people knew weren't going to be there (DTS-HD MA for example) yet are complaining about anyways. Also, very few, if any, of the wholly negative reviews I've seen were from people who ACTUALLY OWN the player.

Exactly.

Sorry TheHDMan, from the posts I've seen from you, you like to troll around samsung threads, and now, a whole new thread.

Why do you care anyway? What are you, the watch what you buy police?
post #7 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Because Christmas is a time for new toys for bad boys.

I am not exempt, but managed to sell the HD-A1 and PS3 on the bay
to help with the cost of my escapade into 24p HBR and DSD
combo duct tape player, BD30/A35/Oppo980 terrific A/V transport system.
Now, setting up the Harmony remote was another 3 evenings

Fortunately returns at most reputable dealers are extended until January 30
so it will make it easier on the beta testing gang.

My system:
post #8 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM

I bought it because #1 I wanted a dual format player, I didnt really care to have 2 players.
post #9 of 107 Old 12-20-2007, 10:43 PM

Bah, humbug!
What HD player has been problem free? It's a new platform. I went in fully aware there may be RESOLVEABLE issues. My XA2 was not perfect, and I had no illusion the 5K would be flawless. I now have the ability to play both formats with a single unit that has the potential to far exceed my expectations! I was willing to invest my dough in that.

To address your rant specifically:
Mine plays alot of disks (ALL the ones I have put in it so far, except the frisbee)
Yes the audio sounds pretty huge!
The only grain I see in MY PQ is if I happen to pass the food network and someone's baking bread.
All good things come to those who wait. I am patient.

Oh yea, one more reason:

Because we wanted to twist your undies in a knot.....

snowtrooper1966

I have a Sith sense...I see Darth people..."
post #10 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 04:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
They should have kept the 2400 and maybe killed the 5000?

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #11 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 AM

Because ...
post #12 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

They should have kept the 2400 and maybe killed the 5000?

But then it wouldn't be a universal player.
post #13 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I don't blame people for bashing it and I don't blame people for buying it. I own it (for 30 days, at least). The bashers are extremely disappointed. Who can blame them? The early reviews seemed to indicate that it was a great machine which with some tweaks could be extraordinary. Then Samsung took three months to release it and most people figured they were spending that time fixing the machine so that it would come to market full-featured and ready to go. It isn't. The blind date turned out to be a little ugly.

People buy it for reasons of their own. And I can assure you we're not stupid or deluded. Let me explain my reasoning. I've waited two years for this industry to settle down. I followed the threads through all the iterations of the Toshibas, Panasonics, etc. They have all had problems. They've all had complaints. I decided to jump in with the Sammy (coming from a Denon 5900 I bought 4 years ago for $1600) because I don't want to have two players to deal with. I've had my rack full of equipment and I don't like it. I don't want to set up two macros for two players with two different picture settings. HD should be icing on the cake of my life not my reason for being alive. I won’t be using all of the promised features any ways as I have a wife, family and friends that I like to sit and talk to and I have business that take up a lot of time. I just want to watch movies in the best, easiest way possible.

Most stated problems should be easily fixed with firmware just as they have been with every other player that has been released since the first Toshiba. There are no other dual format players out there other than the LG with its $999 price and list of problems.

Oh and if I bought the 2 separates I would want if I was to go that route, then I'd have an expense of about $998 (XA2 & BD 30) plus shipping and/or taxes.

I applaud Samsung and LG for having the moxie to try something none of the other "big boys" have the b***s to try. To me they’re the renegades, the outsiders trying to fill a niche even though there are real challenges in trying to do so.

What sticks in my craw are the people bashing/attacking people almost at the point of their purchase which is a nervous time as it is. The buyers become defensive and less able to remain objective. They feel they have to defend their purchase and the type of careful, dispassionate analysis we’ve seen goes out the window

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
post #14 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 AM

I don't have any problems with the criticisms. Like anything else, weigh the pluses against the minuses. To me, there are far, far more pluses than minuses. I too was disappointed it didn't come to market with full TrueHD. However, this is such a minor issue, on balance, it's seems to me ridiculous to call the player a piece of crap primarily because of issues like that. Some of these people need to get real...
post #15 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

I don't have any problems with the criticisms. Like anything else, weigh the pluses against the minuses. To me, there are far, far more pluses than minuses. I too was disappointed it didn't come to market with full TrueHD. However, this is such a minor issue, on balance, it's seems to me ridiculous to call the player a piece of crap primarily because of issues like that. Some of these people need to get real...

DITTO! Looking forward to getting mine as Crutchfield has just shipped mine.
post #16 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 08:36 AM

Once it's updated, this will be an incredible player. I have no doubt Samsung will update. I have the BD-P1000 and they are still supporting it with updates when the need comes up.
post #17 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why do you care?
post #18 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why not spend your time and energy on something that will do you or someone else some good. Quit wasting everyone's time!

Traveler
post #19 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Would someone who owns an XA2 vouch for the 5000 that its
upconverting is just as equal or better than an XA2 ?

both use the Reon processor, right?

I'm waiting for the cost to go down and fixes to go up before buying this
one to replace my A1
post #20 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post

What negative reviews?

You have seen the threads in this forum...yes?.............no?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #21 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I did buy this player and took it back...(Like joerod I have to buy every unit that comes out just to check it out)...anyways, if it did what it was supposed to do, and played great like the Panasonic unit, well I probably would have kept it. The problem is, just like with the 1400, it's a piece of JUNK!...Sorry, but facts are facts...The thing has problems up the wing-wong...I was just curious as to why anyone would support such a piece of crap...(masocists I guess?)...
post #22 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdigital View Post

Would someone who owns an XA2 vouch for the 5000 that its
upconverting is just as equal or better than an XA2 ?

both use the Reon processor, right?

I'm waiting for the cost to go down and fixes to go up before buying this
one to replace my A1

There is a thread dedicated to the player where someone owning both the XA2 and the new Samsung 5000 which states that the new Samsung is equal or better than the XA-2 at upconverting standard DVDs.

I am digging for that, or it could have been that a mod deleted it, but for now, here are some rather poor comparison shots:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...955388&page=34

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #23 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Actually, I did buy this player and took it back...(Like joerod I have to buy every unit that comes out just to check it out)...anyways, if it did what it was supposed to do, and played great like the Panasonic unit, well I probably would have kept it. The problem is, just like with the 1400, it's a piece of JUNK!...Sorry, but facts are facts...The thing has problems up the wing-wong...I was just curious as to why anyone would support such a piece of crap...(masocists I guess?)...

lol....its funny because its true
post #24 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 PM

why so many people want this player to fail?... I don't go post threads about how bad their players are. Maybe, they've made some bad decisions in the past and a wrong choice? well, my player rocks. /i've owned xa2. i owe ps3 and I made my choice/
post #25 of 107 Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 PM

They're called trolls p-g-m. Every forum has them.
post #26 of 107 Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4mach View Post

I bought it because #1 I wanted a dual format player, I didnt really care to have 2 players.

I heard it's also good with HD beans.
post #27 of 107 Old 12-22-2007, 07:10 AM

I bought this for my parents and this is exactly what they need, put in a disk and hit play. When I come over I will update the firmware on the player (we have stooped into an ever lowering expectation of things to work perfectly out of the box.)

I have understood that things change rapidly and manufacturers cannot afford to hold products back due to a software glitch and we have seen this for the past 20+ years. At least we can let Samsung and other manufacturers know what the problems are and that the software can be updated or fixed.
post #28 of 107 Old 12-23-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the XA2 and now the Samsung BD-UP5000....the standard dvds look identical on both.

Im viewing via hdmi on a Samsung 71in pro calibrated DLP.

Also, I have not put a movie into the player that didnt play.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -

post #29 of 107 Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 AM

The machine works like a charm for me. Picture and sounds are great. It looks cool. It makes me format neutral. I plugged it in and it works.

Maybe some of us read a little more carefully then you.

That's why.
post #30 of 107 Old 12-24-2007, 11:06 AM

Liked: 12
I purchased the first BD-UP5000 to arrive in smAlbany, NY from Best Buy this morning. I have until January 31st to decide if I will keep the player or return it. My decision will be based on how well the BD-UP5000 performs during the next month, the timing of any firmware update(s) from Samsung and what type of HD DVD/Blu Ray players are displayed at CES 2008.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page