Who Is Keeping Or Who Is Returning Their Samsung 5000? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Who Will Be Returning Or Keeping Their Samsung 5000?
Keeping It! 49 59.76%
Already Boxed And Returning It! 11 13.41%
I Want To Love It/I Don't Want To Hate It! I Just Don't Know... 22 26.83%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 133 Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
With Samsung effectively stabbing you in the back, I'd take it back right now.

All of you!

Oh wait, I did last Sunday

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 133 Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well I got screwed...If I lived in the States, Id return this and get my money back..but hearing this news today..theres no way I can get it back to the States on time..I guess I am stuck with this thing
post #93 of 133 Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Now that Blu-ray disc has won the format war and without a market for dual-format DVD players Samsung has no incentive to fix the BD-UP5000 & I doubt the 5500 will be carried by any of the big box retailers. Sorry.

"it's a little ridiculous when we're forced to wait for a new player longer than it's on the market"

"what else could possibly warrant a mid year revamp? We suspect the problem is that the player isn't delivering"

I hate to say it, but... I told you guy's so

The Samsung BD-UP5000 to be discontinued in May
post #94 of 133 Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11
I received my BBFB RMA this afternoon and shipped it back this evening. Waiting for my refund to be processes now... then will look at alternative players. Too bad this player did not live up to the promise. I hope that future players will support everything without any bugs. I really liked the BD-UP5000 for the things that did work on it. But I could not live without the full HD Audio formats support. I am into high quality sound and music more so than the video. Good Luck Samsung in fixing this mess.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #95 of 133 Old 01-23-2008, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Too late for me...Ebay or keep are my main options.
post #96 of 133 Old 01-26-2008, 07:38 AM

Although I earlier answered the poll saying I'd keep mine, after all the developments this past week and my continuing problems after the firmware update, I took mine back yesterday and bought a BD-30 and A30 to replace. Very happy with both.
post #97 of 133 Old 01-26-2008, 08:25 AM

I returned mine two weeks ago. What's truly pathetic is the "Official Owners" thread, wherein people are still posting about the player's POTENTIAL and how they TRUST that Samsung will eventually fix all the bugs (i.e., advanced audio codecs, etc.) People, this player has already been discontinued and replaced. Wake up!
post #98 of 133 Old 01-26-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post

Already sent it back. Got an Onkyo DV-HD805 (basically a tweaked XA2) for the Reon upscaling and handling all audio formats. Got the Sony BDP-S500 for the same reason (money is not an issue for me). I don't need or desire all the headaches and customer service issues.

Both these players work beautifully with every disc (with the exception of a few quick audio drop-outs on CEOTTK). I wish the Sony loaded faster, but at least this way, I can get next-gen 2.0 Blu player in a year or so and let the Onkyo handle my HD DVD discs until the format is fully deceased.

Need clarification here...I wasn't aware that the Sony 500 can pass the bitstream signal to a receiver with an onboard decoder...?? Please confirm...Thx
post #99 of 133 Old 01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgasp View Post

I returned mine two weeks ago. What's truly pathetic is the "Official Owners" thread, wherein people are still posting about the player's POTENTIAL and how they TRUST that Samsung will eventually fix all the bugs (i.e., advanced audio codecs, etc.) People, this player has already been discontinued and replaced. Wake up!

ahhh yes I guess some people cant just play nice and have to resort to calling people pathetic. If the owners like myself are happy with the player then so be it we are not attacking you on our choices.
post #100 of 133 Old 01-26-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Well I just picked one up last night at BB. I didn't see this thread until today. I was not aware that dual players had their own forum. I looked at BluRay and saw nothing much about the 5000 so I took the plunge.

I MUST HAVE 7.1 ANALOG CAPABILITIES. That's the only reason I bought it. Dual format is a plus but I don't own a single HD-DVD or BluRay disc yet. I have a heavily modified Lexicon DC1 and a custom vacumm tube amplification system that I will not scrap for some single box AV receiver just to get HDMI audio. So I really don't care about HDMI audio problems. I do have an HDCP compliant projector.

SO far I only tested standard DVD's which played fine. The up conversion was sub par from my SD DVD system but that's to be exected due to the advanced broadcast grade processing equipment I have for SD.

I ordered some BluRay DVD's from CD Universe this week. If this thing is a dog, I have until 2/24 to return it. The new Poineer scheduled out in MAy looks very promissing.

Anybody want to comment on other players with 7.1 analog outputs I'm listening.

P.S. I you are wondering why I didn't buy a movie at BB, there was not a single title that appealed to me that I don't already have on DVHS. I have over 500 titles recorded from Dish since 2001. Hence my late entry into HD DVD and Blu RAY.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #101 of 133 Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Well I just picked one up last night at BB. I didn't see this thread until today. I was not aware that dual players had their own forum. I looked at BluRay and saw nothing much about the 5000 so I took the plunge.

I MUST HAVE 7.1 ANALOG CAPABILITIES. That's the only reason I bought it. Dual format is a plus but I don't own a single HD-DVD or BluRay disc yet. I have a heavily modified Lexicon DC1 and a custom vacumm tube amplification system that I will not scrap for some single box AV receiver just to get HDMI audio. So I really don't care about HDMI audio problems. I do have an HDCP compliant projector.

SO far I only tested standard DVD's which played fine. The up conversion was sub par from my SD DVD system but that's to be exected due to the advanced broadcast grade processing equipment I have for SD.

I ordered some BluRay DVD's from CD Universe this week. If this thing is a dog, I have until 2/24 to return it. The new Poineer scheduled out in MAy looks very promissing.

Anybody want to comment on other players with 7.1 analog outputs I'm listening.

P.S. I you are wondering why I didn't buy a movie at BB, there was not a single title that appealed to me that I don't already have on DVHS. I have over 500 titles recorded from Dish since 2001. Hence my late entry into HD DVD and Blu RAY.

You sound like a candidate for one of the "new" Denon Blu-Ray units and maybe the Onkyo 805 for HD-DVD if you want to be "Purple"

Edit ** Taking a peek at the Denon thread seems to be having some problems also.
post #102 of 133 Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Regardless of what eventually happens, this statement is flat-out FALSE. Someone posted a statement from Samsung (which is STILL not official) that the unit would be discontinued in MAY, after which Samsung changed this and said that this date may in fact change. This player has NOT "already been discontinued," nor has it already been "replaced."

The reason that people like me are keeping the unit is that there is an equal amount of evidence suggesting that Samsung will fix these issues. If they don't, I'll have no problem demanding my money back at THAT time based on the fact that the unit will not have delivered as advertised. If they DO, however, fix these issues, then I'll have what will arguably be one of the best players on the market.

The only "issue" is that we'll have to wait a while to see whether or not this happens. I should note that I find Samsungs behavior in this to be VERY irresponsible. The fact that I have to wait this long, as well as the TOTAL lack of any official information from Samsung continues to be extremely frustrating, and I won't forget this fact in the future when deciding on purchases. That said, I'm reluctantly willing to wait based on the fact that there is NO other single player that can do what the 5000 is "supposedly" going to be able to do.

The bottom line is that my behavior in this is not "pathetic" -- it's a calculated decision based on personal parameters.

Larry
post #103 of 133 Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Ah, to be young & naive, looking at the world through a pair of rose colored glasses.
post #104 of 133 Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After all the faults, audio drop offs, discs refusing to play after playing previous, it goes back tomorrow. Good luck all with yours
post #105 of 133 Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic66718 View Post

After all the faults, audio drop offs, discs refusing to play after playing previous, it goes back tomorrow. Good luck all with yours

You might want to give it just a few more days. More than one source has indicated that a new firmware update is imminent, and it would be a shame to find out that the issues that most effected you were fixed right after you just returned it.

Larry
post #106 of 133 Old 01-29-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

You might want to give it just a few more days. More than one source has indicated that a new firmware update is imminent, and it would be a shame to find out that the issues that most effected you were fixed right after you just returned it.

Larry

Will the firmware update be available before or sometime after 01/31/2008, which is generally the last day to return items that were purchased from local B&M retail stores during the holiday season?
post #107 of 133 Old 01-29-2008, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Will the firmware update be available before or sometime after 01/31/2008, which is generally the last day to return items that were purchased from local B&M retail stores during the holiday season?

Ditto!

At this point, I'm boxing this up tonight after work, and my wife takes it back tomorrow night.

Unless they post the new FW prior to about 1700 (PST) tomorrow, and it includes advanced codec multi-channel output via analog.

Can't take the gamble.
post #108 of 133 Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

Larry

Well you can always go re-buy it somewhere else. Nobody is discounting these yet so it's $799 anywhere you go.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #109 of 133 Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 AM

I purchased the BD-UP5000 for 20% off at Best Buy (about 640 versus 799) a few days ago. And I am keeping mine for the following reasons:

1. Fast start up time (faster than my Pioneer Elite 94 and my Toshiba A-30 on my "main" system).
2, Beautiful picture even on my 720p Sony Plasma (yes, of course, my Pioneer PRO-FHD1 is better but that is my main system).
3. It played every HD and Blu-Ray I've tried on it (it failed to play "3:10 to Yuma" but after the firmware upgrade it played fine). It even played Evan Almighty which my Toshiba refuses to play!
4. Adequate sound. My receiver in the bedroom is not HDMI capable so I use a Coax connection. The sound is fine for my purposes since the receiver is only connected to a 3.1 speaker configuration. I am tempted to temporarily connect it to my main system to see if it plays True HD after a later upgrade.
5. Space reasons. I wanted one player that is able to play both formats without having to take up room and connections.

I only have a few complaints about the unit: it can't play DVD+R's and its looks are not as attractive as some other players (including my old Samsung 1000). But, to me, the unit suits me fine. I think that many other consumers would find the unit more than adequate, especially those who want a single HD player without the hassle of 2 machines.
post #110 of 133 Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 PM

Count me as one of the idiots that is keeping theirs

I'm over my 30 day return window, so it's now official.

I had some random A/V stuttering in the first 4 movies I played which initially turned me off a bit on the unit, but since then I've had no problems with playback whatsoever. (11/07 Build date) Played 5 HD-DVDs, about a dozen Blu-Ray, and 4-5 SD-DVDs so far.

No extra cables, no extra remote, no extra instructions to learn, no extra boxes having to be stored, no worrying about putting the correct disc in the proper unit after a few drinks , etc. ...the extra couple hundred dollars over separates is worth it for me (not even considering the Reon) and if the advanced audio codes get straightened out it will make the unit just that much better to me.

I have to admit that was very close to returning it at one point, but the prompt firmware update swayed me to keep it.
post #111 of 133 Old 02-01-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice lies there. No, this player has not been discontinued and has not been replaced either.

Why don't YOU wake up ?

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #112 of 133 Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlma1 View Post

I only have a few complaints about the unit: it can't play DVD+R's and its looks are not as attractive as some other players (including my old Samsung 1000). But, to me, the unit suits me fine. I think that many other consumers would find the unit more than adequate, especially those who want a single HD player without the hassle of 2 machines.

Are you sure about DVD+R ? Mine plays them just fine...

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #113 of 133 Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM

At least for homegrown double layer DVD+R's it didn't work. My Sony DVD+R DL recorded on a PC was rejected as "wrong region code". And the Samsung manual specifically says that DVD+R/RW and RAM won't play. I will try some regular DVD+R and History Channel DVD+Rs and report back.
post #114 of 133 Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

At least for homegrown double layer DVD+R's it didn't work. My Sony DVD+R DL recorded on a PC was rejected as "wrong region code". And the Samsung manual specifically says that DVD+R/RW and RAM won't play. I will try some regular DVD+R and History Channel DVD+Rs and report back.

From what I have sen if you set the "book type" to DVD-R then it should work...I have seen multiple people say that they have been able to play DVD+R discs though, it could be just the disc or the movie you were playing (since it said "region code" and didnt just reject the disc. If it wasnt going to play the disc I would expect it to just spit the disc out.
post #115 of 133 Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've kept it.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #116 of 133 Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:

I have DVD+R burned with regular DVD files and HD DVD files and both work perfectly.

HD DVD: 101 Blu-ray: 39 DVD: 393
Samsung BD-UP5000 - TrueHD & DTS-HD MSTR : HD-D2 : PS3
post #117 of 133 Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

Still very early in the game, but just curious who will be keeping their 5000, waiting for new firmware updates...who are already moving on...or who is still not certain what to do.

The ultimate question is will we ever be on top of this game?
Where no more new products nothing can ever top it?
I.e computers everyday there is something better, faster and less expensive,
Audio equipment always something new daily, monthly, yearly.
Now we are hearing about Ultra HD, Quad HD.
post #118 of 133 Old 02-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tomorrow I will return to BB. After playing approximately six or so of each format, I have yet to have one play all the way thru without freezing up, skipping etc.
post #119 of 133 Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Mine went back to Best Buy last Sunday after only a week of use.

Saturday night we tried to watch Mr. Woodcock (BluRay, Netflix), wasted a half hour of our lives on that before I finally searched here and found that it was a lost cause.

Then we popped in our other current Netflix rental, a standard-def documentary called, "Unknown White Male." For a while all it would give me was a black screen. It claimed this was the menu. After lots of ejecting and stopping and messing around, I finally got it to play (I think RESUME PLAY after a stop was what did it).

All in all, way too much hassle for me.

Now I have a PS3 and Toshiba HD-A30.

I don't play video games at all, but I love the PS3! It's the best DVD player I've ever had. If you open the on-screen TIME display, you get a beautifully-rendered progress bar showing where you are in the movie. That alone sold me. It's substantially faster at everything than the 5000 was. For instance, you can turn it on by shoving a disc in it, whereas most HD players make you stand there twiddling your thumbs for a while after you hit the EJECT button.

Make sure you buy Sony's $25 bluetooth remote so you don't have to use the silly gaming joystick to control movies. I bought the PS3 and remote from Circuit City online, and they automatically took $25 off the price of the PS3, rendering the remote effectively free.

This PS3 + HD-A30 pair cost me $250 less than the Samsung 5000 alone, and I'm much happier.
post #120 of 133 Old 02-06-2008, 02:23 PM

I guess my post was lost due to the server problem. I retested with different types of DVD+R's (including homegrown and purchased) and they all played fine. So I stand corrected. Another reason for me to keep the player. I have had no playback issues other than the false report on DVD+R and the "3:10 to Yuma" problem which was fixed by the firmware upgrade. I noticed that many of the complaints are from rental DVD's which are prone to abuse by the uncaring (not our members, of course!).
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page