CES: 5500 Dual Announced - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 01-08-2008, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why would you need a Reon HQV chip if you're going to be playing HD-DVD and BD discs? Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly don't see the fuss over the Reon chip unless you're going to stick with your standard DVD's. And in that case, just get an Oppo upconverting DVD player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post

Why would you need a Reon HQV chip if you're going to be playing HD-DVD and BD discs? Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly don't see the fuss over the Reon chip unless you're going to stick with your standard DVD's. And in that case, just get an Oppo upconverting DVD player.

Simple. A lot of people want one player that does everything. And it will be a long, long time before some of those DVD titles are on Blu-ray. Also, if you are really into HD you probably have a TV that benefits from a decent DVD player.
post #63 of 78 Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I must be missing something. Is this correct?

5000 - Reon but does not have TrueHD or DTS HDMA internal decoding
5500 - no Reon but has TrueHD or DTS HDMA internal decoding

Seems kinda strange to me. If true, I would definitely go with
the 5500 as a need the internal decoding - but not the Reon
DVD processing.

Man, it's always something. I want/need both the great upconversion of my SD collection from the 5000, and also internal decoding of the new audio formats from the 5500. What an unfortunate scenario.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #64 of 78 Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post

For those us us that have a decent amount of SD DVDs the Reon is essential to watching the DVDs that are not on either of the formats. I have a decent amount of Discs and really I want to watch them in the best available way.

The whole point of having a new player is so that we dont have to rely on more equipment. I for one am trying to have less not more machines. Adding an Oppo means another 1-200$ and another HDMI connection, and another place on your rack\\stand\\ect. When space gets to be a premium less is sometimes more.
post #65 of 78 Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut View Post

How about a 7000 from Sammy.

Would you settle for a Samsung BD-UP6500

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2008/01/0...-feature-hqv-/

DISCLAIMER: I can find no mention of this player anywhere other than this. Thus there is no confirmation of the above story. Skepticism meter turned on full.

Jack

post #66 of 78 Old 01-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

Would you settle for a Samsung BD-UP6500

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2008/01/0...-feature-hqv-/

DISCLAIMER: I can find no mention of this player anywhere. Thus there is no confirmation of the above story. Skepticism meter turned on full.

This is mentioned in the 5k owners thread. Ironically enough the 6500 is claimed to do everything the 5k was supposed to do.
post #67 of 78 Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yes but the gentleman who mentioned it is quoting the same source, CNET Asia, so there is still no confirmation of the story. Also, as mentioned above, a lot can happen between now, and a year from now. This player may, indeed, see the light of day (I hope so). On the other hand, it may not. IMHO, it's much too early to count on it at this point.

Jack

post #68 of 78 Old 01-10-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8_ View Post

I'm still catching up on all of this but would it matter to me if I had the Reon on the 5000 or wait (if it is released) for the 5500 and use my Onkyo 875 onboard Reon and sound processing to do the work and save a couple hundred bucks on the 5500?

I also own the Onkyo 875 so, while at CES, I spoke with the Samsung rep who was covering the 5500 at the booth. The unit definitely will not have the HQV Reon processor (which you and I shouldn't care because we already have it and why pay for it twice.) It does not have analog outputs. It will have onboard decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD but can also bitstream the signal via HDMI without decoding to your 875 for processing (ala Toshiba XA2 or HD-A35). He confirmed the list price of $599 and stated that the unit was scheduled for release in May 2008. If all this stuff works, it seems like it could be a nice match for the 875. Frankly, with all of the issues that newly released players seem to have these days, even if it does hit the shelves in May, I'll probably wait a few months to decide whether to purchase while I follow the threads that will inevitably emerge in this forum.
post #69 of 78 Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What's the BIG improvement the 5500 can make over the previous combos?
That is: PQ, access to content, audio formats, that kind of stuff...

I don't think analog outs are the answer, most would/should use digital.
REON, isn't a BIG deal, cause pre/pro's & display's have it.
Sure a price drop would be nice, butt considering you get "two" HD players for <$600US that's not bad.
Just what quality/feature will be missing from this unit, that would make one decide two separate HD format players are the way too go?
Thanks.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #70 of 78 Old 01-24-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

What's the BIG improvement the 5500 can make over the previous combos?
That is: PQ, access to content, audio formats, that kind of stuff...

I don't think analog outs are the answer, most would/should use digital.
REON, isn't a BIG deal, cause pre/pro's & display's have it.
Sure a price drop would be nice, butt considering you get "two" HD players for <$600US that's not bad.
Just what quality/feature will be missing from this unit, that would make one decide two separate HD format players are the way too go?
Thanks.

How about being able to put a disc in, of any format, and not having audio/visual/lockup issues?

It's the sole reason I tossed mine for a PS3/A35/Oppo 3-1HDMI splitter.....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #71 of 78 Old 01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

How about being able to put a disc in, of any format, and not having audio/visual/lockup issues?

Seggers

Does anyone think this will be addressed properly?
I know of a lot of dissatisfied 5000 owners.
Or, are combo's a no go (nova )?
Thanks.

post #72 of 78 Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Does anyone think this will be addressed properly?
I know of a lot of dissatisfied 5000 owners.
Or, are combo's a no go (nova )?
Thanks.

We shall see. Apparently, there is a NEW firmware update soon to be released to the masses.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #73 of 78 Old 01-26-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson View Post

We shall see. Apparently, there is a NEW firmware update soon to be released to the masses.

Thanks.
And this FW update 'suppossedly' does address "all" playback problems?
Well, maybe a ray of sunshine for all the 5000 owners (those that haven't giving up & return them anyway! ) & us 'future' 5500 owners!

post #74 of 78 Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks.
Well, maybe a ray of sunshine for all the 5000 owners (those that haven't giving up & return them anyway! ) & us 'future' 5500 owners!

I have no idea what it will/won't address. However, I would assume it would fix the playability issues not fixed last week. Anything else, including anything that may show up on new releases, will be just gravy.

and by "future" 5500 user, do you mean Christmas 2008?

sincerely,

a 5000 user (or sucker?? We shall see)

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #75 of 78 Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
How can you have a firmware update on a machine that has yet been released. After all, this thread is about the 5500, no?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #76 of 78 Old 01-27-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

How can you have a firmware update on a machine that has yet been released. After all, this thread is about the 5500, no?

Good point!............ but hopefully the 5500 will benefit from the firmware upgrades that are made for the 5000. My concern is that the 5500 will never see the light of day. Even though a Samsung rep at CES told me that it will release in May (see my post #68 above), I think it is unlikely that Samsung will be willing to incur the considerable expense to manufacture and market this product if demand for HD DVD dissolves over the next few months. Because of the similarity to the 5000, they may have invested a relatively modest amount of time and money on design and prototype efforts up to this point.
post #77 of 78 Old 01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Thanks.

BIG ED,

I dont think in the near future you are going to have a player that plays ALL titles flawlessly. There are always going to be those discs that cause issues until the discs that are being produced are more or less the same. The least problematic player is the Ps3, but there are drawbacks to that as well. Problem discs are just something owners are going to have to deal with until the proccess of creating discs becomes more uniform.
post #78 of 78 Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post

This may be a good or bad news for us, the 5k owners.

If the 5500 is the same as (or better than) the 5000, then the lower price does not make sense at all given Samsung cannot meet demand for the 5000 at the current price level of $799.

If the 5500 is a scaled down veriosn of the 5000, then it may be a good news for everyone. Some people who do not need the analog outs or the advanced upscaling will not have to pay for these features.

If both players 5X00 have mostly the same firmware, then Samsung will have more insentive to get things right.

I hope someone will have the chance to corner Samsung reps at CES on that one too.

Hey all-- I didnt read the whole thread here, but was at CEs and saw all three 5500 demo units in action. The 5500 has the Blu Ray 1.1 spec and I thought the 5000 did not. There was something about , I am not sure, maybe the video processing, that makes the 5000 more expensive.

The Korean engineer for Samsung who was stationed there quietly told me SAmsung was not allowed to demonstrate HD-DVD advanced features on the 5500 at CEs ( the thing can play them all but Blu Ray players can't actually do anything like what HD-DVD does yet-- the 1.1 spec should bring Blu Ray closer however).

I would DEFINETLY wait for the 5500 and some actual user reviews.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page