Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Creating this as suggested
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

Spence

Since you are keeping the unit why not start a new thread on post-update problems so potential new owners are not misled by the other threads

Please report any bugs or issues with BD-UP5000 Firmware Ver1.0 (080110_01_UP5000_XAA) in this thread.

Hopefully someone with connections to Samsung will point this out to them, and we can be of assistance in making the BD-UP5000 live up to it's potential.

Be sure to be as detailed as possible. This would include the title and format of any media you are experiencing issues with. The type of connection you are using, possibly even the make & model of any equipment along the chain in the event of audio or display issues.

One more thing. Please keep posts positive and respectful.

In the event that Samsung begins monitoring this, they need to know that they are moving in the right direction and should be positively reinforced for doing so.

Cheers,
Spence

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, this is odd.

I have Resident Evil:Extinction in the player right now. I went to the audio menu, just to scroll through the selections, and it the player got stuck in UP loop.

I don't if that is the correct description, but what was happening was that once I was at the AUDIO menu and selected the UP key on the remote, I couldn't stop it. It would scroll through all of the audio options without me touching the remote.

I had to stop the disc.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #3 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Does anyone know if the stretching of 4:3 DVDs was addressed in the update?

post #4 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Can't repeat the previous issue, as of it.

Also, I was playing around with the audio settings of the 5000 I was able to get it to stop sending any audio to my receiver.

I have the 5000 set up with the HDMI connected to my Yamaha RX-V3800 and from there to my JVC 720p D-ILA's HDMI input. It also connected to INPUT-2 of the TV via the component and the 2-ch analog audio.

I was playing the first couple of scenes of RE:3, then stopping the movie. Changed the audio from Bitstream (Audiophile) to Bitstream (Re-encode). Play the first two scenes again, and change to PCM. I did this a few times, just to see what my reciver showed (Yamaha was set to STRAIGHT). I didn't change the PCM downsampling to ON nor did I touch the dynamic compression setting. All of a sudden I lost audio until I restarted the 5000.

post #5 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 11:45 AM

You're unable to access the pop/up menu in 3:10 to Yuma. When the button is pressed, the screen flickers making it very difficult to navigate. Pressing the button again takes you back to the movie and it plays fine.
post #6 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
24fps is still very hit-and-miss. Sometimes it outputs 24Hz, sometimes 60Hz. (This is between different Harry Potter HD-DVDs, so I would guess they are stored similarly.) I'm using my BD-UP5000 with a Samsung 71-series LCD.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #7 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM

Audio on Ocean's 13 not working correctly. Come out of front speakers only.
post #8 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinw82 View Post

You're unable to access the pop/up menu in 3:10 to Yuma. When the button is pressed, the screen flickers making it very difficult to navigate. Pressing the button again takes you back to the movie and it plays fine.

Seems to happen when the player is set to 24fs on. I have a Mitsubishi WD-65731. According to the manual, it supports 24fs. This is the only issue with 24fs, can someone else confirm this?
post #9 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Does anyone know if the stretching of 4:3 DVDs was addressed in the update?

I have not tested this myself, but I did see a post in the main 5000 thread saying that this was NOT fixed.

Larry
post #10 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejenkins View Post

Audio on Ocean's 13 not working correctly. Come out of front speakers only.

Which audio track, and what connections type are you using? Was this the blu-ray or hd-dvd version?

Thanks,

Larry
post #11 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

Which audio track, and what connections type are you using? Was this the blu-ray or hd-dvd version?

Thanks,

Larry

This is HD DVD. Connected to Onkyo 705 via hdmi.
post #12 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejenkins View Post

This is HD DVD. Connected to Onkyo 705 via hdmi.

What audio track is it using? What audio does the receiver indicate it's receiving? It's important to provide the details.

If this is a TrueHD track, the 5000 only outputs 2 channels for this format at the moment.

Larry
post #13 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

i experienced some "navigation" issues this morning; i only noticed it on Transformers but that was the only title i actually tried to ff/rw...

i selected ch3 to investigate the "noise" reported by some in the snow scene, then ff ... when i got to the point i wanted to resume play, i hit play, title stopped ff but it also just sat there...i hit pause/play and still nothing...i chapter skipped ahead and then rw but when hitting play from rw it resumed fine...

i'll try with other titles tonight...
post #14 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM

i did the update now the player will not load any discs...

if i load it opening and closing, it gets stuck on "closing"

if i power it up, it gets stuck on "loading" any suggestions?
post #15 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

i experienced some "navigation" issues this morning; i only noticed it on Transformers but that was the only title i actually tried to ff/rw...

i selected ch3 to investigate the "noise" reported by some in the snow scene, then ff ... when i got to the point i wanted to resume play, i hit play, title stopped ff but it also just sat there...i hit pause/play and still nothing...i chapter skipped ahead and then rw but when hitting play from rw it resumed fine...

i'll try with other titles tonight...

I've noticed this with a number of HD-DVD discs -- after scanning (ff or rw), when I try to resume normal play the player will pause for a long time before playing actually resumes. I found that if you just leave it alone, it will eventually start up again, but it can take quite a while -- maybe 20 seconds or more.

The next time you see this, just try waiting it out.

Note that I've only noticed this with a few different HD-DVDs, but not with SD or BD titles. I was hoping that the firmware would fix this, but apparently it did not address this type of issue.

Larry
post #16 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsc23 View Post

i did the update now the player will not load any discs...

if i load it opening and closing, it gets stuck on "closing"

if i power it up, it gets stuck on "loading" any suggestions?

Call Samsung. Did you use ethernet, or did you burn a disc? When burning an ISO disc is is TERRIBLY important to use the VERIFY option in the software.
post #17 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
is the "black pepper" noise (transformers) solved?
post #18 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
With Ratatouille BD DVD, the "angle" icon still is appearing at various times throughout the movie.
While I was playing this movie in its LPCM Multi-Channel mode via HDMI 1.3 to my Onkyo NR905 AVR, there were multiple times through the movie when the sound would turn into a raspy, gurgling distorted sounding audio. Sometimes the gurgling distorted audio would clear itself on a scene change or I would have to pause and restart play to clear the distorted audio. I did not hear nor notice the audio hiccup that used to occur when the angle icon pops up (as it did in the original firmware). That hiccup seems to be fixed, but at the cost of mistracking LPCM audio stream now. Also, I don't hear anything out of the "back surround left and right" speakers. I only get 5.1 sound, no 7.1 sound.

Another disc I tried so far, FF RO Silver Surfer BD DVD, played back fine for the most part. But I did notice that the screen picure hesitated once and got pixelated then continued playing. Again I did not see this with the original firmware, so it seems this new firmware is a bit more prone to mistracking.

That's all I could test for now. Will post more if I get the chance to (while and if I still have this player long enough to test further. I have a pending return request in to BBFB and am still awaiting their overdue reply to give me an RMA#. I need to become confident in Samsung's intention to really provide the audio updates and proper fixes in order to keep this unit still).

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #19 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 11:14 PM

Well, I'm very disappointed to say, Live Free or Die Hard Bluray still will not play. I get the same red screen that says my players firmware needs to be updated. I didn't try my other Die Hard blurays, but I'm sure its the same issue. All BD+ discs will not play. Really annoyed

I updated firmware through system update over the internet.
post #20 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomb View Post

Well, I'm very disappointed to say, Live Free or Die Hard Bluray still will not play. I get the same red screen that says my players firmware needs to be updated. I didn't try my other Die Hard blurays, but I'm sure its the same issue. All BD+ discs will not play. Really annoyed

That is a broad sweeping statement and has been disproved by a few members already. While you may have issues with the LFoDH that doesnt mean that all BD+ movies will not play.
post #21 of 84 Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 PM

OK, well, I just tried others. These will not play, all bluray, all BD+:

Die Hard
Die Harder
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Live Free or Die Hard

Maybe not all BD+, but this red screen that pops up is from the "disc", not the player. Therefore, it must be a BD+ problem.
post #22 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I confirm Unbiased's report with one caveat. I *do* hear a slight glitch when the "angle" icon appears (I did not test this with the previous alpha/beta firmware). The "motorboating" sound degradation as he describes happened perhaps 10 times at least while I watched throughout the film. This doesn't coincide with the "angle" icon appearance but pausing and restarting sorts it out.
post #23 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:

OK, well, I just tried others. These will not play, all bluray, all BD+:

Die Hard
Die Harder
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Live Free or Die Hard

I can't confirm Die Hard with a Vengeance or Live Free or Die Hard, but my player works fine for Die Hard and Die Harder. I have a December build date unit with the latest firmware which I updated prior to watching Die Harder (Die Hard was watched on the prior firmware).

You have something else going on with your player. Either you have an earlier revision motherboard (I read somewhere that multiple revs are in the wild) or you have a more generalized fault with the unit.

Another possibility, it could be your HDMI connection. You could be having a weird problem due to a mangled/incomplete HDCP implementation. What type of monitor and/or receiver are you using? What happens if you use component video? Obviously that isn't an appropriate long-term solution, but it might tell you something while troubleshooting. As for me, my 5K is plugged directly into a Vizio P50 HDM and is using 5.1 analog audio out.

My only problems have been audio related. I get some weird crackling audio problem in the mid-range when my main speakers are set to "large", and that's only at "peak" levels. It isn't noticeable most of the time and will go away when I select "small" speakers, but then my bass is reduced (and the device doesn't seem to be doing any bass management). I also had audio crackling on the Firefly DVD set while decoding Dolby Pro Logic 5.1.
post #24 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What manufacture date is your player? Some people have already reported being able to play Live Free or DH -- even before this new firmware -- so I'm wondering if there is any pattern to the players that have this problem.

Thanks,

Larry
post #25 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 01:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

I was able to watch LFoDH even before the firmware update. Didn't try it with the new FW.

Now on to why I am here (1. It is late, and 2. I need a place to jot this down before I call Samsung tomorrow).

I did have one issue arise today, which may or may not have been the new firmware.

I watched POTC:AWE using the PCM track, and there wasn't a problem. However, I stop the movie at the end, during the credits and eject the disc. (Stop and then Open). I insert Meet the Robinsons, and I get a "Disc can not be played" error and the disc ejects. I retry. Same result. I then reinsert POTC, and I get the error again.

It was fixed with a Power cycle.

I was then able to watch Meet the Robinsons. The PCM track got distorted when Lewis is dropped off in front of the orphanage. I stopped the movie, and switch the disc audio to Dolby Digital, and there were no audio problems.

I Stop and Eject MTR, and then insert Harry Potter 2 (BD) with no issue.

HP:COS is playing behind me right now with no issues, but I am getting tired.

More maybe tomorrow.

post #26 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

What manufacture date is your player? Some people have already reported being able to play Live Free or DH -- even before this new firmware -- so I'm wondering if there is any pattern to the players that have this problem.

Thanks,

Larry

I've already been through all that investigation guys, back in December.

I do in fact have a October build, but it doesn't matter, because I've discussed this same exact issue with someone else that has a December build, with the same exact problems with Die Hard movies, among other Fox blurays.

I've established there is no pattern. Only thing I can think of is different drives.

At any rate, I'm calling up samsung for a replacement at this point. I waited till the first firmware, and it's obviously a no go, so.
post #27 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

I've already been through all that investigation guys, back in December.

I do in fact have a October build, but it doesn't matter, because I've discussed this same exact issue with someone else that has a December build, with the same exact problems with Die Hard movies, among other Fox blurays.

I've established there is no pattern. Only thing I can think of is different drives.

At any rate, I'm calling up samsung for a replacement at this point. I waited till the first firmware, and it's obviously a no go, so.

The only thing that makes me go hmmmm is this "red screen" you talk about. I still havent had a disc rejected so that may be the reason. Its weird that we are getting differing reports on the same titles as well.

I would like to say that I did a disc swap yesterday Sunshine BD to Clerks II HD DVD and didnt have an issue. I can say one thing the drive is loud when it switches, but after that its quiet.

One thing we might consider is once we get a consensus of what is a shared problem with discs (i.e. the 3:10 to Yuma issue) if we call for a disc problem we tack the other issues as well. This way we get more tickets on the discs, instead of just saying on here we have a problem . More voices cant hurt right?
post #28 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post

Call Samsung. Did you use ethernet, or did you burn a disc? When burning an ISO disc is is TERRIBLY important to use the VERIFY option in the software.

i did call them - got to a level 2 tech, after telling the first two people i had no interest in speaking to them and have them read to me from a trouble-shooting pamphlet

apparently the firmware upgrade did not work for me..tech said it may be because the disc did not sit properly or there could have been an imperfection on the disc

regardless, i need to send it in and they'll put the proper firmware on for me...

i know someone mentioned the directions are there, but for the life of me I didnt see any....
post #29 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Watched 3:10 to Yuma last night on Blu Ray and it played fine, sort of, post firmware update.

A couple of times the picture momentarily pixelated in a lovely shade of mauve on a small part of the screen. More inclined to believe it's a fault on the disc than anything else though I didn't go back and replay that part to check.

The other issue I had was the audio was marginally out of sync all the way through. Enough to be noticeable but not enough to ruin the movie. Just wondered if anyone else noticed this.

I had the audio set to DD-EX. Connected using coax to a Sony STR-DE697. The player I had set to whatever the middle audio output option was on that menu. I find myself somewhat confused with the audio options. No idea what I'm supposed to set it at.
post #30 of 84 Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Liked: 11
This new firmware definitely has a problem tracking audio. I don't know if it is limitedto LPCM multichannel mode over HDMI 1.3 connection, but I do know that I got the same distorted gurgling, raspy audio occurring on another BD DVD "Tears of the Sun" I just tried. I inserted the Tears of the Sun BD disc after re-confirming that the LPCM audio distortion occurs with the Ratatouille BD disc. As soon as it started up the audio was already in distorted mode! I jumped to the main menu to start the main movie and the audio cleared (but it was in Dolby Digitial Multichannel mode). I switched audio selection to LPCM multi-channel and letting it play.

I think this firmware has introducced more severe audio problems for LPCM decoding. Now we have absolutely no reliable Hi-Def audio capability at all on this player...! They took away LPCM 7.1 with this firmware as far as I am concerned. I don't want to always be resetting the audio to get rid of the gurgling distortion that occurs at random playing my movies. BBFB still stalling on my RMA request, saying that they are too busy and will process it in time. I think I am still returning this player and will wait it out. $790 is alot of money to gamble on such unsure promises IMO.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page