5000 to be discontinued in May! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 132 Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a little confused by the dislike of this unit...

I'm up to 15 BD titles. I've watched all of them from end-to-end and haven't had any issues except for a rare audio hiccup that goes away when I pause and un-pause.

Audio decoding is fine. I'm using 5.1 outputs. I'll eventually upgrade to something similar to the Integra 9.8 but so far I'm happy with the older equipment I presently own.

A limited number of people seem to have a real problem with this player and make an insane number of posts trying to convince people to return them... For example, multiple people posted, "Should I return this?"

If you own one, does it work for you? If it does, why are you concerned what some anonymous guy with no credibility thinks? Everyone is entitled to be upset with Samsung but that doesn't permit anyone to besmirch someone's character because they don't agree with you.

Let's have some perspective here. The HD-A1 v1.0 would crash if you pressed buttons on the remote too quickly... It took almost 8 months for their 5.1 TrueHD firmware to be released. Toshiba has released 8 firmwares for the A1, each one fixing lots of random garbage (most of which focused on disc compatability and HDMI/HDCP).

People are also complaining about the BD-UP5000 and BD+, but has anyone tried their 5000 on other TVs or using component cables? It is functionally impossible for some units to behave fine and others to fail in the percentages we've been seeing. TVs get firmware updates too... More users should call their TV manufacturer. Yes, you can get field-techs to come out and update television firmware; it is usually free under warranty. I've needed to have it done on one of my plasmas. Over the life of a TV the firmware gets updated every bit as frequently as Toshiba updated the HD-A1.

DRM is probably the genesis for half of the problems that any A/V enthusiast might experience. Heck, just look at the release notes to DirecTV's HD DVR (HR20). They've probably released 30 firmwares, half of which list "HDMI issues" in the release notes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 01-24-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSchmoe View Post

I'm a little confused by the dislike of this unit...

I'm up to 15 BD titles. I've watched all of them from end-to-end and haven't had any issues except for a rare audio hiccup that goes away when I pause and un-pause.

Audio decoding is fine. I'm using 5.1 outputs. I'll eventually upgrade to something with similar to the Integra 9.8 but so far I'm happy with the older equipment I presently own.

A limited number of people seem to have a real problem with this player and make an insane number of posts trying to convince people to return them... For example, multiple people posted, "Should I return this?"

If you own one, does it work for you? If it does, why are you concerned what some anonymous guy with no credibility thinks? Everyone is entitled to be upset with Samsung but that doesn't permit anyone to besmirch someone's character because they don't agree with you.

Let's have some perspective here. The HD-A1 v1.0 would crash if you pressed buttons on the remote too quickly... It took almost 8 months for their 5.1 TrueHD firmware to be released. Toshiba has released 8 firmwares for the A1, each one fixing lots of random garbage (most of which focused on disc compatability and HDMI/HDCP).

People are also complaining about the BD-UP5000 and BD+, but has anyone tried their 5000 on other TVs or using component cables? It is functionally impossible for some units to behave fine and others to fail in the percentages we've been seeing. TVs get firmware updates too... More users should call their TV manufacturer. Yes, you can get field-techs to come out and update television firmware; it is usually free under warranty. I've needed to have it done on one of my plasmas. Over the life of a TV the firmware gets updated every bit as frequently as Toshiba updated the HD-A1.

DRM is probably the genesis for half of the problems that any A/V enthusiast might experience. Heck, just look at the release notes to DirecTV's HD DVR (HR20). They've probably released 30 firmwares, half of which list "HDMI issues" in the release notes.

Hold the bus... now you are talking SENSE.

dont you know this is just a thread for people to run around in circles, waving their hands in the air screaming...."... the Samsung 5000 is junk because Samsung is doing exactly what they said they'd do and releasing upgrades for it while working on new products like every other manufacturer in the world so everyone in the world should return it NOW, its JUNK !!!!..."

you clearly have yer priorities all wrong.
post #93 of 132 Old 01-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop View Post

Hold the bus... now you are talking SENSE.

Thanks for also being a voice of reason. I think it's crazy what seems to be happening in this thread/forum. Someone goes out and spends $800 on a player... They feel good about the purchase and seem to be enjoying it, but then they show up at AVS and catch buyer's remorse from some other guy.

Fine, sell your player on Ebay. Just don't come back here and convince everyone else to do the same thing because you want collective reinforcement you aren't irrationally impulsive.

In the days after WB went Blu, you could hit Ebay and buy a whole stack of HD DVDs for pennies. There was one auction, 30 discs for $120. It's not like the media is going to into a pumpkin on June 1st.
post #94 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks for also being a voice of reason. I think it's crazy what seems to be happening in this thread/forum. Someone goes out and spends $800 on a player... They feel good about the purchase and seem to be enjoying it, but then they show up at AVS and catch buyer's remorse from some other guy.

Fine, sell your player on Ebay. Just don't come back here and convince everyone else to do the same thing because you want collective reinforcement you aren't irrationally impulsive.

In the days after WB went Blu, you could hit Ebay and buy a whole stack of HD DVDs for pennies. There was one auction, 30 discs for $120. It's not like the media is going to into a pumpkin on June 1st.

Erm, I would love to have kept the player. I really didn't want to get into having 2 units etc.

I didn't take mine back because of buyers remorse. I didn't take it back because I followed the mob (and by the looks of it, it is a mob of people taking it back). I took it back because it didn't work.

Please take a stroll through the lists and read the posts of numerous people having the same, or different, issues with numerous discs on all 3 formats.

The writing is on the wall for HD DVD, this time the Sony crowd won. Actually, I don't think either format won as Joe Public is still confused and won't pay these kind of prices for HW and SW.

I will grant you that not everyone took a 5K back because of a faulty player (which I think mine was), it really saddens me when people like you try to belittle others who took action based on legitimate reasons.

Unfortunately, by replying, I have probably bolstered your Holier than Thou attitude.

Seggers.

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #95 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM

the way i see it is there are 2 camps, the ones who just want a dual format player because it saves space and those who want a player that brings what was advertised.

many in the first camp don't care about hearing TrueHD or DTS-MA, or their receiver doesn't support it anyway. if they wanted everything the 5000 was supposed to deliver they'd go with separates that have already had their bugs worked out.

the other camp, of which i'm a part of, just wanted what was promised. as much as i would have loved a single player to play 2 formats i want to get what my $800 deserves. no advanced audio codecs until May assuming the best case scenario? pass. high likelihood that i'll have plenty of compatibility bugs and ruining the entertainment of movies i'm watching with friends and family? forget it.

i don't care how people spend their money, i just feel bad for those keeping their player assuming everything will be fixed and enabled in a timely fashion. the only satisfaction i get from people returning their players is its a strong message to samsung to get their crap together. no need to reinforce my decision to cancel my order because last night i watched Led Zeppelin's HD-DVD and the TrueHD track in 5.1 almost made me crap myself.

TV: Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD
Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CI
Blu-Ray: Playstation 3
Media Player: Dune HD Max
DVD/SACD: Oppo DV-980H
Speakers: Paradigm Millenia 200 5.1 system
post #96 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

There is a third camp, those that do care about the HD audio but can live without it for a few months. It is a risk that some are willing to take despite all, but do not rush to feel sorry for the 5k owners.

There is a chance (and people have a choice to take it) that this player will deliver enough goods to make having two separates not that attractive. As for the HD audio differences, do not forget 5k owners can sample that today with LPCM tracks and see what they are missing.
post #97 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post

There is a third camp, those that do care about the HD audio but can live without it for a few months. It is a risk that some are willing to take despite all, but do not rush to feel sorry for the 5k owners.

There is a chance (and people have a choice to take it) that this player will deliver enough goods to make having two separates not that attractive. As for the HD audio differences, do not forget 5k owners can sample that today with LPCM tracks and see what they are missing.

but aren't those people waiting because they want it all on one player? if they are waiting it must be important, yet they can buy separates and have it now. why not now? they want a dual player they expect to offer it later.

TV: Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD
Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CI
Blu-Ray: Playstation 3
Media Player: Dune HD Max
DVD/SACD: Oppo DV-980H
Speakers: Paradigm Millenia 200 5.1 system
post #98 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post

but aren't those people waiting because they want it all on one player? if they are waiting it must be important, yet they can buy separates and have it now. why not now? they want a dual player they expect to offer it later.

True, but there is a big difference between "people who do not care" about HD Audio, and people that do care but want to wait, even though they have a system that can play HD audio now. As much as I want this upgrade to happen soon, I would not call the few months waiting an agony and rush to the store for separates. Everyone is different.
post #99 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Please take a stroll through the lists and read the posts of numerous people having the same, or different, issues with numerous discs on all 3 formats.

Given that the parts and software in everyone's unit is identical, there are obviously some other factors in the chain causing disc problems since some of us have no disc issues (even with those same titles). Not a single person has tried alternate TVs or component cables -- for all we know everyone with disc "compatibility" problems is using a specific brand of LCD or something common.

Audio is a distinct issue. If someone is unhappy with their unit because it doesn't meet expectations, that’s a whole different enchilada. Go ahead and return it. That doesn't make the unit useless, just that it didn't meet an individual's expectations when they expected more.

Maybe they'll eventually get lossless 5.1 over a firmware update, just like Toshiba did with the A1. Also, the "Broadcom rumors" are exactly that. All I've seen is thread upon thread of "that Broadcom chip is crap" and the evidence was pointing to all the other threads in some big circular self-definition. Where is the factual, non-emotional basis in the Broadcom rumors? I've never seen anything from a reputable source.

It's unfortunate people had a bad experience but saying, "its a no brainer, you should return it", isn't based on anything but emotion. That guy might have been having a wonderful time with his unit. In fairness to Samsung, they did release the first firmware update exactly when they said they would. Samsung kept releasing firmwares for the BD-P1000 over a year after it was retired. I'm not trying to single out specific people, most keep a level-head, but a vocal minority seems to have a frenetic pitch trying to get people to return their gear. Even if they wrap production in May, units will probably be available in the channel until November. The BH100 was the same way.

If you like it, keep it, if you don't, return it. I don't particularly care either way. Just don't try to convince me to dump mine since I'm happy and it has been working as expected.
post #100 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
DrSchmoe

Sorry sane non-emotional posts are not allowed
post #101 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

glad i didn't buy it. glad that i'll never need a dual format player.
post #102 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Erm, I would love to have kept the player. I really didn't want to get into having 2 units etc.

I didn't take mine back because of buyers remorse. I didn't take it back because I followed the mob (and by the looks of it, it is a mob of people taking it back). I took it back because it didn't work.

The writing is on the wall for HD DVD, this time the Sony crowd won. Actually, I don't think either format won as Joe Public is still confused and won't pay these kind of prices for HW and SW.

I will grant you that not everyone took a 5K back because of a faulty player (which I think mine was), it really saddens me when people like you try to belittle others who took action based on legitimate reasons.

Unfortunately, by replying, I have probably bolstered your Holier than Thou attitude.

Seggers.

And then there are people like me, who had one since december 15th and returned it and is now an owner again to give Samsung another chance to show their commitment. They already released a firmware update and I want to see if there will be another before february 25th.

I agree that the few people that keep posting in essence "don't buy it, it's junk" all over the place either have their own agenda or blow things out of proportions. I, for one, think the player has potential. The question remains, will the potential ever be realized. I have faith it will be because Samsung said there was going to be an update mid-january, and mid-january came and we did get that update.

Samsung is dependent on Broadcom coming through with their universal stack for the BCM7440 chip, so we also have to cut them some slack here. I don't understand the hate (which I'm pretty sure for the most part comes from BR supporters).

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #103 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post

glad i didn't buy it. glad that i'll never need a dual format player.

Many will share in your gladness.

...many others will feel sadness over your inability to join the cult of the "Duo".

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #104 of 132 Old 01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Given that the parts and software in everyone's unit is identical, there are obviously some other factors in the chain causing disc problems since some of us have no disc issues (even with those same titles). Not a single person has tried alternate TVs or component cables -- for all we know everyone with disc "compatibility" problems is using a specific brand of LCD or something common.

Audio is a distinct issue. If someone is unhappy with their unit because it doesn't meet expectations, that's a whole different enchilada. Go ahead and return it. That doesn't make the unit useless, just that it didn't meet an individual's expectations when they expected more.

Maybe they'll eventually get lossless 5.1 over a firmware update, just like Toshiba did with the A1. Also, the "Broadcom rumors" are exactly that. All I've seen is thread upon thread of "that Broadcom chip is crap" and the evidence was pointing to all the other threads in some big circular self-definition. Where is the factual, non-emotional basis in the Broadcom rumors? I've never seen anything from a reputable source.

It's unfortunate people had a bad experience but saying, "its a no brainer, you should return it", isn't based on anything but emotion. That guy might have been having a wonderful time with his unit. In fairness to Samsung, they did release the first firmware update exactly when they said they would. Samsung kept releasing firmwares for the BD-P1000 over a year after it was retired. I'm not trying to single out specific people, most keep a level-head, but a vocal minority seems to have a frenetic pitch trying to get people to return their gear. Even if they wrap production in May, units will probably be available in the channel until November. The BH100 was the same way.

If you like it, keep it, if you don't, return it. I don't particularly care either way. Just don't try to convince me to dump mine since I'm happy and it has been working as expected.

As you appear to be the only one on this forum with the correct opinion of the player, I'll stop trying to convince you that there are other valid opinions to be held and viewed.

I hope that the player is all that you want it to be.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #105 of 132 Old 01-26-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:

As you appear to be the only one on this forum with the correct opinion of the player, I'll stop trying to convince you that there are other valid opinions to be held and viewed.

Seggers

Pot meet Kettle, Kettle meet Pot. You two go play and have a long and happy relationship.

The problem is that Dr. has said he doesnt care if anyone returns it or not. You however seem not to hold that same opinion. All he is saying is that perhaps the reasoning used behind returning the unit is a little flawed. You've run off and swapped it for other players, great. Even your new players have issues. From reading other threads on this site, A35 locks up playing certain discs and has a few features that dont work, the PS3 can overheat and die plus it wont pass DTS-HD MA via HDMI.

Seems like all the players are flawed and awaiting updates. Hmmm, imagine that.
post #106 of 132 Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

There isn't as much wiggle room as Samsung would like to have you believe. A company can't just state anything they want in the fine print and remove themselves from any responsibility to deliver the product that they advertised. In other words, just because they state "we reserve the right to do anything we want" in print, it does NOT give them the right to do anything they want. They absolutely CAN be held to the very reasonable expectation that they'll deliver EVERYTHING that was stated in their advertisements, even if they later decide to pull these advertisements. If they don't do this, then the product was sold under false pretenses, which is not legal.

Larry

Totally agree! Samsung has to get the player working as advertised or will have to replace it with one that does, or can you spell... Class Action Suit?

I really feel for you guys who have plotted down $800 for this player and had to put up with all these problems. They had no reason to release a half finished, untested product! It is pathetic.
I, as many of you, have followed this player for months since it was announced with great anticipation, only to be dropped like a rag. Thank God I didn't jump into this player cause I wanted to wait till the prices came down.

Maybe the writing was on the wall. Even Robert from VE will no longer carry any Samsung players because of their poor track record. I only hope Samsung can get their act together with the new models and maybe you guys will get a free 5500 when they come out.

My dedicated home theater with an ancient Egyptian theme: http://myweb.arvig.net/sly/
post #107 of 132 Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM

I have an "ancient" Pioneer Elite Pro 1000-HD Plasma and an "ancient" Lexicon MC-12B. No HDMI and no decoding of DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD. I am using the 5.1 analog inputs on my Lexicon. The 5000 "says" it is outputting decoded DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD signals to its analog outputs. Are the people in this thread saying that is NOT true or is everyone talking about bitstream output?
post #108 of 132 Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sly View Post

I only hope Samsung can get their act together with the new models and maybe you guys will get a free 5500 when they come out.

Ironically, I actually don't want a 5500. The Reon processor was one of the selling points of the 5000 for me, so given my parameters, the 5500 is simply not a viable replacement.

Larry
post #109 of 132 Old 01-26-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sly View Post

I only hope Samsung can get their act together with the new models and maybe you guys will get a free 6500 when they come out.

ftfy.

reon and 7.1 analog (not that I use it now, but what if I stumble a used pre/pro without HDMI )

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #110 of 132 Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywax View Post

I have an "ancient" Pioneer Elite Pro 1000-HD Plasma and an "ancient" Lexicon MC-12B. No HDMI and no decoding of DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD. I am using the 5.1 analog inputs on my Lexicon. The 5000 "says" it is outputting decoded DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD signals to its analog outputs. Are the people in this thread saying that is NOT true or is everyone talking about bitstream output?

Yes, I would like to see this question answered too. BTW, I wouldn't call the MC12 ancient - I'm still using a DC1! Remember from the DC1 forward, these are all $5000 plus processors. And they don't have internal amplifiers, you get to by 8 channels of those on top of the processor.

There is no way some $2000 or less "all in one" HDMI 1.3 AV receiver is going to compete with a Lexicon based system, even one ten years old. Sure you may get to hear all the new audio formats but through what? Good analog circuits are expensive and always will be. There is no such thing as a digital amplifier* or speaker. So you can have all the latest digital audio formats you want but unless the analog chain is of quality, you aren't going to hear the difference.

*Yes I know all about class D amplifiers. They are NOT "digital" in a strict electrical engineering sense. They still employ much analog circuits and are basically a PPWM (Power Pulse Width Modulator).They have been around since 1974 and the latest incarnations today sound just as bad. Class D is fantastic for cell phones and Ipods where power comsumption is paramont but not where quality audio is needed.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #111 of 132 Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 AM

Class action suit? Think about it:

IF (role of the dice?) plaintiffs win -

1. Samsung probably settles with plaintiff's lawyers, denying any wrongdoing.
2. You get a return of about 10 cents on the dollar.
3. The lawyers win. They get alot more.
4. You get your 10 cents back in time (years?).
5. You have no dual format player that does what you expected it to do.
6. You lose.
post #112 of 132 Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Biba View Post

6. You lose.

Exactly. I have been in more class action lawsuits than I can even count, and every time the settlement brings back a few dollars for most parties involved at best. Once, I received a letter of a settlement for 32 cents but I was supposed to use a 35 cents stamp to send the form back and get it...

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #113 of 132 Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywax View Post

Correct - it does NOT output decoded multi-channel advanced codecs via analog out (or HDMI for that matter). This is the main reason alot of people are PO'ed about this. Others are upset about video iaaues. SOME of the video issues were addressed by the first firmare (disc compatibity issues).

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I have the Lex MC12v4 and waited a long time for this unit specifically for onboard decoding output through the analogs.

Rumors of a second firmware update due out this week, unknown if true or what it addresses.

Read the last few pages of the owners thread stickies at the top of this page for more.

My time runs out on the 31st (BB christmas time purchase) - I've got nothing to lose by returning it. I paid full price, discount coupon not honored locally. They're in stock again, so I can return it and see if they get the bugs worked out, buy it again at a better price (coupons are being accepted again). Holding on to it and hoping seems like a foolish gamble. My 2 cents.
post #114 of 132 Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Biba View Post

6. You lose.

why would there need to be ANY class action suit?

If the unit does not perform as advertised, one could simply return it to place of purchase and get a refund, or exchange. I dont care how long you've had it, if the manufacturer does not come up with the upgrades to make it work as promised it WILL be taken back. Retailers will be well aware of the problem (if not resolved by update). There should be no problem at all returning it.

End of story.

of course all of this will likely be moot when updates are released.
post #115 of 132 Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 AM

Liked: 18
What is there to think about? The 5K has PICTURE GRAIN.

It does not deliver the Audio that was promised.

When you put a movie in, you first need to pray to whatever god you beleive in, that it would play without glitch.

Samsung dropped the ball.

HD DVD will not make it to 2009.

Get a Blu ray player. I suggest the Denon 3800.

Spend some money and get a quality player and stop your BITCHIN...
post #116 of 132 Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Tweeter and CC won't be carrying the 3800. Magnolia may allow you to special order one with all the wonderful restrictions SOs come with.
So that leaves a handful of high-end shops. Yeah, good luck looking for a deal

In life you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.
post #117 of 132 Old 02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

What is there to think about? The 5K has PICTURE GRAIN.

There has been no conclusive evidence that the grain is a "malfunction" of the 5000 rather than an issue with the source material. Please note that I respect the people that have reported that this issue is due to the 5000, but there have been several reports saying that they see the exact same thing with other players as well. While I cannot do side by side comparisons myself, I have looked for this issue on players in stores, and so far it appears that I CAN indeed see a similar "black pepper" grain effect on other non-Samsung players. It's unclear whether or not it's any "worse" on the 5000, but so far, based on my admittedly crude observations, it does not appear to be an issue with the 5000 since it happens on other players as well.

Larry
post #118 of 132 Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Samsung dropped the ball.

Did Samsung drop the ball? Maybe. They probably released the 5000 before its time, but then again LG probably released the LG200 before its time, too.

Quote:

HD DVD will not make it to 2009.

Are you saying my HD-DVD movies will be unplayable in 2009? What about those possible BOGO or clearance sales on HD-DVD media, if in fact HD-DVD dies in 2008?

Quote:

Get a Blu ray player. I suggest the Denon 3800.

Spend some money and get a quality player and stop your BITCHIN...

$1999 for a Blu-Ray only player? Will the Denon work as advertised out of the box? Has the 2500?

As far as playability, since these players are nothing more than computers running Linux and Java, I don't see these issues ever going away 100%.

post #119 of 132 Old 02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 197
So if the 5000 is a piece of junk will the 6500 be a piece of junk, too?

Are they really going to produce it? When will it come out?

Is there any chance that all dual format players will be NIXED so that HD-DVD can be TOTALY KILLED?
post #120 of 132 Old 02-03-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

So if the 5000 is a piece of junk will the 6500 be a piece of junk, too?

Are they really going to produce it? When will it come out?

Is there any chance that all dual format players will be NIXED so that HD-DVD can be TOTALY KILLED?

I don't think the 5000 is a piece of junk. It was rushed to market by Samsung. However, Samsung did update the 1400 to bitstream DTS-MA, so hey.. I am going to wait it out.

As far as when the 6500 will come out. Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is that once they finalize the FW on the 5000, you will begin to see the 6500 rolling out on store shelves. My guess would be Q4 2008. The only thing I see for the 6500 vs. 5000 will be 2.0 compliance. Whether Samsung chooses external USB or more internal memory, I don't know.

I don't think dual format players will be nixed. There are enough HD-DVD players and media out there where HD-DVD isn't suddenly going to instantly die out.

I went dual format because I didn't want the hassle of two players. I also free up a HDMI port in case I need it in the future. I don't have to explain to the wife (or the kid when he comes home) that these movies can only in this player, etc.

Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page