5000 to be discontinued in May! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/23...tinued-in-may/

They better support this player or offer me a FULL price refund. This is RIDICULOUS. You don't sell someone a $800 player and discontinue it 6 months later. Completely unacceptable. I am beginning to lose faith in Samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Liked: 11
"Samsung doesn't see the BD-UP5500 as a replacement, and promises a suitable replacement for the high-end dual-format customer in the second half of '08."

wth?
post #3 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 AM

It seems like all HDM players have a rather short product lifespan. Toshiba is already on their 3rd generation of HD-DVD players. Most Blu-ray manufactures are on their 2nd or 3rd generation already too. It should seem obvious to everyone that Samsung would not have any intentions of producing this same player forever, it will be replaced by a newer model in time for the next Christmas shopping season.
post #4 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortifer View Post

They better support this player or offer me a FULL price refund. This is RIDICULOUS. You don't sell someone a $800 player and discontinue it 6 months later. Completely unacceptable. I am beginning to lose faith in Samsung.

It's easy, take it back now, get a refund, tell them why and go buy something else.

Samsung are having a laugh if they think people will buy an $800 player every year, just so they don't have to fight with Broadcom on their (possibly) crappy decoder.

I feel sorry for those who are outside their return window. Ebay time methinks.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #5 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortifer View Post

Well what will it take for you to completely lose faith in Samsung?!?!
post #6 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 11:20 AM

.. good that I waited... it sounded to good to be true to begin with.....
post #7 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Not sure what ebay is like right now, but I made money when I sold mine a week or so ago. There's a big market for them overseas.
post #8 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Glad I waited also. Want to go purple but need the right player and looks like for now no one makes one.
post #9 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Thank god I decided to go Blu only with the new Panny player! I was very excited about this player when first announced and almost bought it. I doubt that Samsung will make any more combo units anyway after WB's decision. Go Blu Ray!!!
post #10 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 PM

I would be really pissed if i spent 800 bucks and found out that the Broadcom chip inside will never allow the 5000 to function properly. Not to mention the fact that for less money you can have an A30 and panny 30 which work properly and are bug free. What a complete ripoff that sammy is. They deserve alll the ill will and anger this will generate.
post #11 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 PM

I dont get it... why would you take the player back?

My 5000 works fine. I dont care that Sammy will put out a new model in a few months. Happens all the time. Ya dont trade in you car every year when the manufacturers release the new model year do ya?
post #12 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 PM

I'm taking mine back to Bestbuy. BD+ discs still don't work after the last firmware update and now this.

I'm waiting until Christmas this year to buy an HD Disc player.
post #13 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop View Post

My 5000 works fine. I dont care that Sammy will put out a new model in a few months. Happens all the time. Ya dont trade in you car every year when the manufacturers release the new model year do ya?

You're missing the point! This player promised things that it, apparently now, WILL NEVER deliver. Glad you're enjoying yours, I am too, but mine is going back once confirmation comes in that it's indeed a dud!

I'm starting to think Warner just screwed up royally. HD DVD is a finished format and Blu-ray still has so many issues to work out. This is gonna turn into LaserDisc.
post #14 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:

if GM announced a car would be discontinued before many people could find it at their local dealer, and it didn't perform as advertised, I think there would be plenty of upset buyers

what's 'works fine' mean anyway? let talk it over while watching a movie in 5.1/7.1 TrueHD. I'll bring popcorn. oh wait...

TV: Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD
Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CI
Blu-Ray: Playstation 3
Media Player: Dune HD Max
DVD/SACD: Oppo DV-980H
Speakers: Paradigm Millenia 200 5.1 system
post #15 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 PM

exactly!! This item is rare..hard to find, not out there to purchase that easily..

we unlucky people have this player and bought it because we were given the impression that this player will do certain things..I could of bought 2 seperate players that have no issues doing the new audio codecs..but I was dumb and opted for a combo player..

so yes, we are upset with this news..we all bought something that we believed would be a great item..in reality what we have is a 800 dollar paper weight
post #16 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

I'm starting to think Warner just screwed up royally. HD DVD is a finished format and Blu-ray still has so many issues to work out. This is gonna turn into LaserDisc.

I totally agree!
post #17 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post

if GM announced a car would be discontinued before many people could find it at their local dealer, and it didn't perform as advertised, I think there would be plenty of upset buyers

what's 'works fine' mean anyway? let talk it over while watching a movie in 5.1/7.1 TrueHD. I'll bring popcorn. oh wait...

well, since i dont have a pre/pro that can decode them... its not an issue for me. Apparently you do? If I get one in the future (not any time soon, they are still $$$) and it becomes an issue... I'll look at it then. I suspect it wont. 99.9% of any of our livingrooms arent configured to be able to hear the difference anyway. If an update comes out that enables the output, as promised, great.

my player works great. It plays BD/HD-DVD, puts out a great picture... what else is there?
post #18 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:

well, since i dont have a pre/pro that can decode them... its not an issue for me. Apparently you do? If I get one in the future (not any time soon, they are still $$$) and it becomes an issue... I'll look at it then. I suspect it wont. 99.9% of any of our livingrooms arent configured to be able to hear the difference anyway. If an update comes out that enables the output, as promised, great.

my player works great. It plays BD/HD-DVD, puts out a great picture... what else is there?

Businesses must love you! They can promise you the world and when they don't deliver, you don't care. Cool. To each his own.

There are TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus logos on the box. However, they don't work in this player! That's what's not there! Now comes word THEY WILL NEVER WORK! Those are HD DVD mandatory! No wonder they are running and hiding.
post #19 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Businesses must love you! They can promise you the world and when they don't deliver, you don't care. Cool. To each his own.

Personally I bought it to play both BD/HD-DVD, thats all. It does that just fine.

Quote:

Now comes word THEY WILL NEVER WORK!

where does it say that?
post #20 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM

It isn't said anywhere, by anyone from within Samsung, but there are a lot of implications floating around that the Broadcom chipset that Samsung is using, won't ever be able to do what it's supposed to. I'm not prone to believing that something is true, if it's repeated enough, but Samsung sure isn't doing much to dispell that rumor and that is for sure.

I'm excited about the possibility of the 5500, but you can be sure that I'll be waiting at least a month after release, before I pick one up.
post #21 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Personally I bought it to play both BD/HD-DVD, thats all. It does that just fine.

where does it say that?

Their silence is speaking volumes. Now word they're discontinuing it is the silent admission.
post #22 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 PM

I'll admit that I'm not as happy as I think I should be with the player so far, but I am happy to have a single, dual-format player. I don't care if they discontinue/replace it later this year as long as they continue to provide support for it. But I would also like to know where it says that the unit will never do what it is supposed to do. I saw some speculation about the Broadcom chip problems at EngadgetHD, but nothing firm.

post #23 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

On the bright side, it'd be awesome for Samsung to bring out the rumored 6500 model with excellent upconversion, as well as Blu Ray and HD DVD abilities, all available via PCM or bitstream audio.

A reliable player with these abilities for a decent price would make up for a lot to me.
post #24 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM

Quoting Engadget:

"You see, just like the LG BH200, the BD-UP5000 is based on Broadcom's Reference design BCM97440, and the word on the street is that it isn't ever going to deliver."
post #25 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Quoting Engadget:

"You see, just like the LG BH200, the BD-UP5000 is based on Broadcom's Reference design BCM97440, and the word on the street is that it isn't ever going to deliver."

I guess I just don't consider "word on the street" to be hard fact...to me that sounds like a rumour that may or may not be true.
post #26 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

On the bright side, it'd be awesome for Samsung to bring out the rumored 6500 model with excellent upconversion, as well as Blu Ray and HD DVD abilities, all available via PCM or bitstream audio.

A reliable player with these abilities for a decent price would make up for a lot to me.

Do we even know for a fact there will be a 6500 (or even a 5500 for that matter) ? This might be a decision they took now that HD DVD is going down the drain...

What incentive is there for Broadcom to clean up their act and release a dual format chip that performs the way this one was supposed to ? I don't know guys, this doesn't look good at all to me.

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #27 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvother View Post

I guess I just don't consider "word on the street" to be hard fact...to me that sounds like a rumour that may or may not be true.

I'm just coupling it with the fact that Samsung has gone silent. And now discontinues a player that hasn't really even hit the street yet.

To be fair, I did say, "Now comes WORD they will never work."
post #28 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 01:43 PM

If Samsung discontinued this player in the way that everyone here seems to be panicing about then they would do it right now. "Discontinuing" it in May sound more like a planned end of production run, which makes since if they intend to introduce the next generation model next fall. They have been building these since November. A 7 month production run on a product that is only intended to be on the market for a year at most doesn't sound all that unreasonable.
post #29 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volitar Prime View Post

A 7 month production run on a product that is only intended to be on the market for a year at most doesn't sound all that unreasonable.

It's not the short time on the market that's the big deal, that sort of thing happens all the time, look at digital cameras. The issue is that the 5000 has only been available for a little over a month, and now Samsung is already saying it's going to be discontinued. You have to wonder about Samsung's motivation here. Why would they say, 4 months ahead of time, that their brand new flagship player is essentially DOA?

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #30 of 132 Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 PM

What is the consensus on this issue. I have until January 31 to return it. What should I do?

Thanks
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page