post #91 of 130 Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I don't know if I'd want to buy a player that can't fully support TrueHD and has a bunch of other problems described in another thread.

Well, given the current prices, no harm no foul if you buy it and wait to see what happens. I'm ordering today and will let the unit sit until this issue is addressed once and for all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 130 Old 03-20-2008, 06:08 PM
aod
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I don't know if I'd want to buy a player that can't fully support TrueHD and has a bunch of other problems described in another thread.

Sadly, I agree and returned the one I bought just a few days ago and got the Panasonic BD30 in exchange. Not a hiccup from the Panny and bitstreams everything.

post #93 of 130 Old 03-20-2008, 06:14 PM

I pulled the trigger with the lame Amazon promo. I figure I'd better get one of these while they were still around, and I don't have any faith that they'll get well below the $449 I paid. By the end of next week, I'll be purple.
post #94 of 130 Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post

Well, given the current prices, no harm no foul if you buy it and wait to see what happens. I'm ordering today and will let the unit sit until this issue is addressed once and for all.

A $36 discount for a unit with a list of known problems and missing features just doesn't sound like a very good deal, especially since I'm one of their beloved HD-DVD customers!

I'm glad that Blu-ray player prices are starting to inch down slowly. Maybe in a year they'll be more tempting.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #95 of 130 Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 PM

I bought BD-UP5000 at Amazon last week promo w/ 2days prime shipping for $448.70 + tax.
post #96 of 130 Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just a head's up for anyone waiting for the price to fall even more, Amazon no longer has the BD-UP5000 in stock and is only listing and selling it via other resellers. Whether or not they'll restock is anyone's guess, but the end of the line for our favorite Samsung combo player could be upon us. That also means you can no longer get a price match by ordering from Amazon, because the order isn't actually coming from them.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #97 of 130 Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Just a head's up for anyone waiting for the price to fall even more, Amazon no longer has the BD-UP5000 in stock and is only listing and selling it via other resellers. Whether or not they'll restock is anyone's guess, but the end of the line for our favorite Samsung combo player could be upon us. That also means you can no longer get a price match by ordering from Amazon, because the order isn't actually coming from them.

This is critical because some might be waiting to see if the firmware update expected in May will become a reality.
The risk being all new players will be out of stock. But probably still available on the used and refurb market.
I just ordered from Vann's. Good price, I have doubts they will go much lower for new stock.
post #98 of 130 Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
AEC

I have been holding out and hoping that Samsung would release its' firmware update soon. And if that fixed the problems I would buy. I also thought that if I buy late into the month I could always return it (if bought at B&M like Best Buy) and get the Panny BD50 if Samsung did not deliver on the firmware update. Don't think Vann's will take it back and give credit if Samsung fails to make the unit work as promised. I will call them and inquire about return policies.
post #99 of 130 Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korg View Post

How do you get that coupon? I went BB yesterday and I only saw 3 of them and they were going for $799.

Was i n BB Sat. and they had the Samsung displayed at $599, with the LG still at 799.
post #100 of 130 Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 AM

In Canada Best Buy has the Samsung for $499 and the LC for $399. Strange that there is that big of a price difference between the two countries since the dollar is roughly the same.
post #101 of 130 Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Looks like Samsung BD-UP5000 is back in stock in Amazon.com. Same price as before.
post #102 of 130 Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

I have been holding out and hoping that Samsung would release its' firmware update soon. And if that fixed the problems I would buy. I also thought that if I buy late into the month I could always return it (if bought at B&M like Best Buy) and get the Panny BD50 if Samsung did not deliver on the firmware update. Don't think Vann's will take it back and give credit if Samsung fails to make the unit work as promised. I will call them and inquire about return policies.

Vann's policy is 30 days (no restocking fee). you can rest assured the firmware will not be out by then. (30 days from now)
Again, you can push it and see how long they expect to have players in stock.
If you can hold off your purchase another 2 + weeks you might luck out.
post #103 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 AM

Circuit City just dropped the UP5000 to $499.00. I bought one at BB on the 9th. BB price matched it.
post #104 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 09:18 AM
AEC

Since it is now up on CC's website, I will go over to BB and pick one up. I have over $100 in Rewards' certs and gift card that I want to use. Otherwise I would get it at CC. Thanks for the heads-up.
post #105 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Go for it! I had lost internet access, turned out the WEP setting on my wireless adapter was corrupted. Now everything is 100%
1 glitch during a playback of HitMan (BD) and did not repeat on a replay.
Have run 4 other DVDs through with mixed formats.
Audio is set for re-encode everything to DTS.. works fine for now.. update 1.2/ build date 1/08..
I've only had the player 3 days.. and plan to keep wringing it out this week.

settings I would recommend OFF would be any enhancements and Samsung's proprietary
"Anynet+" for linking other Samsung components.
Some complain of an HDMI handshake problem. I have my remote programmed to power on the Sammy last. I think this will preclude any problems. Good luck!
post #106 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 12:58 PM

If you search for refurbished models these can go for 400 dollars (with shipping)
This can be bought in datavision, i think if you retail store you can skip the 22 dollar shipping.

However, these can be found for lower in ebay, and brandnew. Amazon might not carry them right now but there are other sites and places that do have for lower.

Dansaytoday
post #107 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Amazon currently has 'em in stock new for $450.
post #108 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not to be a downer, but I'd only consider this player if Samsung updated it to match the features of the LG player... hopefully they will, but if so then they need to show their hand now. The LG is currently a significantly better player.

With only 2-channel TrueHD and it's other failings, I don't think the Samsung UP5000 would be a smart buy even at half the price.

The pressure's on for Samsung to update the functionality of this player, not just cut the price, IMO.
post #109 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 02:04 PM

Honestly, LG already pulled that update so that tells you how confident they are with it at the moment

All indicators point to either player being a safe bet.
post #110 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Honestly, LG already pulled that update so that tells you how confident they are with it at the moment

All indicators point to either player being a safe bet.

There was probably an separate issue in that update that they caught late, but they have certainly demonstrated their INTENT to support current and future owners - which makes a big difference.

It's the same chipset as the Samsung, which means it is possible for Samsung to give the users the additional benefits - if they CHOOSE to.

However, all we've heard from Samsung is silence so far, so I certainly would NOT be confident that Samsung is working on providing this support to current or future owners - so I personally wouldn't recommend it (at this time) over the LG player.

Samsung may well have decided that further investment of development costs in this player is not worth it - however, if they DO intend to fix these issues, they should say something NOW.

My comment is based solely on logic, not emotion. The LG is a much better bet at this time.
post #111 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 04:27 PM

I might agree with you, if LG said much of anything beyond what they did about supporting HD DVD in the future. They made a very vague statement. At the same time, Samsung's statement made it clear there wouldn't be any further combo players coming but that they felt the current player would be the perfect transition player for all HD DVD owners. That, to me, says they're not going to abandon it outright. Not to mention, the BH200 is still exhibiting video dropouts, something that hasn't affected the Samsung player by and large.
post #112 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

However, all we've heard from Samsung is silence so far, so I certainly would NOT be confident that Samsung is working on providing this support to current or future owners - so I personally wouldn't recommend it (at this time) over the LG player.

Did you call Samsung recently at all? I've read couple of members posted here that the new firmware is ready any day now from talking to support recently.

Neither companies are talking much about the big "fix-it-all" firmware. LG March firmware is pulled from web site. From what I read, the apperant issue is bitstream of DD+ does not work at all on AVRs other than Denons. So, officially, there is no fix from LG either.

I personally sense both companies are near ready on their latest firmware release. I'll give them the benifit of doubt for a few weeks.
post #113 of 130 Old 03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

However, all we've heard from Samsung is silence so far, so I certainly would NOT be confident that Samsung is working on providing this support to current or future owners - so I personally wouldn't recommend it (at this time) over the LG player..

While they haven't issued an official press release or support alert, Samsung has told countless people (both users via phone support and online reviewers) that a firmware fix for audio is coming by May.

post #114 of 130 Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Did you call Samsung recently at all? I've read couple of members posted here that the new firmware is ready any day now from talking to support recently.

I personally sense both companies are near ready on their latest firmware release. I'll give them the benifit of doubt for a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanbauer View Post

While they haven't issued an official press release or support alert, Samsung has told countless people (both users via phone support and online reviewers) that a firmware fix for audio is coming by May.

This is good to hear - I hadn't seen any of that.

I like Samsung equipment a lot and hope that they will indeed offer an update like LG.

However, my simple statement has been that the LG seems the better unit "at this time". My other point was that if Samsung does ineed intend to add this functionality to their player, now would be a very GOOD time to let those intentions be known, since the focus has turned more accutely to the matter since the LG update.

I have a Samsung 4695 LCD that wasoverscanning 1080p content, and when it became an issue, Samsung brought out the "Just Scan" fix for it pretty quickly, so I was certainly impressed with their support there. Partly as a result of that support, I now own a 4661 Samsung LCD, also, and it has been fantastic (a better unit than the 4695).

Perhaps my comments here should not be seen as a negative, but as "encouragement" for Samsung regarding a possible UP5000 update.
post #115 of 130 Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well not to be to skeptical, but Samsung reps have been known to say what they need to say to close a deal. I would not put it past them to say there is a firmware update coming to get people to (chose one) buy the player/ keep the player past the return period/ get a customer off the phone.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #116 of 130 Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post

Well not to be to skeptical, but Samsung reps have been known to say what they need to say to close a deal. I would not put it past them to say there is a firmware update coming to get people to (chose one) buy the player/ keep the player past the return period/ get a customer off the phone.

Meh, in my experience with Samsung their "close the deal" sales line has always been, "that's the way it's supposed to be", when I call them on a bug/issue I'm having with one of their products. They've never admitted to me that something was in need of a fix, or that a fix would be coming, for any of their other products I own.

post #117 of 130 Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Meh, in my experience with Samsung their "close the deal" sales line has always been, "that's the way it's supposed to be", when I call them on a bug/issue I'm having with one of their products. They've never admitted to me that something was in need of a fix, or that a fix would be coming, for any of their other products I own.

I've had them pull that on me too. Say when I was researching the LNS3251d that I currently own. Samsung's public information and reviewers were ambiguous about that TV having a QAM Tuner, which is not unexpected because many CEs are vague on that point. At any rate I emailed Samsung and called Samsung four times and every time the reps indicated that the 3251d DID have a QAM Tuner. This was Samsung telling me what I wanted to hear to get me to make the purchase. After I purchased the TV it took about 5 minutes for me to determine that the TV had ATSC and NTSC tuners, but DID NOT have a QAM Tuner. So I call Samsung and they say what you indicated, "there's no problem" or "That's the way it is supposed to be".

I don't think either approach is the way to earn customer loyalty and I think it is downright sad that cross-town rival Lucky Goldstar (LG) is more honest and responsive with customers than Samsung when Samsung markets themselves as the upscale Korean choice. They may generally have more upscale styling than LG, but Samsungs CSR tactics are definitely Bush League.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #118 of 130 Old 04-06-2008, 07:13 AM

BB is now $499 on their website.
post #119 of 130 Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 AM

post #120 of 130 Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM

just bought one for 450 on Amazon, I had a 100 dollar giftcard. Ive gone purple.. now to buy some BRD.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page