HELP! Onkyo 605 and Mirage FS & S8 Sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-29-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I just recently got into home theater and amongst the many questions that I have, I am still in the setup phase...

to begin, I have the Mirage Omnisat FS for left and right and a S8 subwoofer, with an Onkyo 605 receiver. so far the sound is nice... but...

1. Where does the Phase on the Subwoofer need to be? 0 or 180 degrees? I can't tell the difference between the 2.

2. Filter, I currently have it in the OFF position. is this correct?

3. Seems like in normal listening levels, I need to crank the subwoofer up to almost 80% level, in order to hear or feel something coming out of it. (i mean like putting my ear next to it and see if sound or vibration comes out of it.) naturally, if I crank up the stereo, the subwoofer definitely comes out. so, 2nd part of my question, is the subwoofer mainly there for when you turn up the volume?

4. I assume, in this setup, that the speakers are not BI-AMP'ed? saw that option in the receiver setup menu...

5. what frequency is best for the subwoofer to be set on when using the OMNISAT FS speakers?

Thank you for any assistance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Mirage v2 FS and use the S12 subwoofer.

The frequency response of the FS speakers are rated down to 55Hz. The rule of thumb that I have read is the subwoofer should be set about an octave higher than your lowest frequency of your speakers.

One octave would be 110Hz (55 x 2). I believe the Onkyo gives you the option of 80 or 100, I think you should set your receivers crossover to 100Hz. Listen to it for awhile and if it seems a bit "boomy" then lower the Onkyo's crossover to 80.

The subwoofer controls should be 0 degrees phase, Filter off and turn the crossover all the way to 120. You don't want the built in crossover to get in the way of the Onkyo's signal to it.

Even though the Mirage speakers are towers, you need to make sure the Onkyo setting for the Left and Right speakers are set to 'small'. It is a frequency thing, not a size thing.

Adjusting the volume of a sub is a tricky thing for me because of the low frequency and the way the ear works.
The volume knob doesn't actually control the volume like you would think, it controls the level of the input signal.
That is why as you raise and lower the Onkyo's volume the subwoofer stays balanced with the rest of you system.

I've used the Radio Shack sound meter to calibrate the decibel level of my system. For me the volume knob on the Mirage subwoofer is in the 12 o'clock position. If you are not interested in getting a sound meter and going through calibrating your speakers I would suggest that you start with your volume level at the middle position and play some music, adjust until you like it.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page